Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 02:02:39

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,426
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 36
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Initial lift off

Started by rsmith21, Wednesday,July 03, 2013, 18:12:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmith21

Has anyone else found that the initial lift off with their NAZA is a little scary\shaky manual input required to keep it going up. after I land subsequent lift offs are much more controlled, I';m referring to GPS mode ?
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Smeagol

Similar experience, although I have only had a few flights, was put down to acclimatisation of the GPS to the outside temperature.

After sitting at home, then a car journey, then the outside world, possibly a few degrees change. Some recommend lifting the craft out first and letting it settle while getting ready to fly.

With mine I found that the first attempts to hover it seemed to drift a bit, after a short time it settled fine.

DarrenG

How long are you waiting after connecting the battery. The GPS requires a little time to get a position fix and a little longer for that fix to settle down. Ideally you need to allow a minute or two for it to get an optimal position fix before lift-off.
[b]Darren Griffin[/b]
@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld
Sky-Hero Little Spyder with Naza V2, Arducopter Quad with Pixhawk and Emax 250 with Naze32

rsmith21

Quote from: DarrenG on Thursday,July 04, 2013, 13:33:12
How long are you waiting after connecting the battery. The GPS requires a little time to get a position fix and a little longer for that fix to settle down. Ideally you need to allow a minute or two for it to get an optimal position fix before lift-off.

Maybe not waiting long enough then. Its like its in manual mode for the first few feet wobbly then stable.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

DarrenG

Could well be the GPS then. Perhaps use Atti mode for the few few minutes if you';re itching to get in the air?
[b]Darren Griffin[/b]
Sky-Hero Little Spyder with Naza V2, Arducopter Quad with Pixhawk and Emax 250 with Naze32

powerlord

I find with the naza it seems to adjust cog each take off,  but only uses the settings on the next flight (power cycle).  So for example if you';ve moved something about: take off a foot and move a wee bit around,  land,  power cycle and now it will have adjusted to new cog and fly well.  Took me a while to work out that was what it was doing - unlike say arducopter which makes no automatic cog adjustment

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

KK1W

John has an interesting take on the problem in his blog. Makes sense, going to try take offs in Atti and see if it makes a difference.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=42040

I agree about the Naza takeoff, but that being said I haven';t had any problems.

Jim
Jim/KK1W

Hands0n

Steve King has a video on the need to let GPS settle before lift off. He suggests a full 3 minutes and demonstrates a rather compelling case for doing so. Admittedly his video relates to GPS Hold (Loiter) and GPS Home (RTL) where the aircraft tend to circle widely. Using his 3 minute method they home in much tighter and reliably. In yet to actually try it out at a field but it seemed better in the back garden.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

KK1W

Did one liftoff today. Waited for GPS lock plus a few minutes, then switched to atti and took off slowly. Not a wobble on liftoff. Only one test so hardly confirms or denies I';m afraid. :(

I fully agree with waiting a full three minutes or more. When I';ve hurried the process GPS hold can easily look like GPS ';toilet bowl';. The red light stops flashing at over 6 satellites, typically I see about 10 on my other units and would expect Naza to be similar. Worth the wait for sure.

Jim
Jim/KK1W

rsmith21

Only problem is the flight time being reduced while you wait, I feel the ESCs get a little warm even at zero RPM so it must be consuming power, I wonder if its possible to give the NAZA its own power, or does it have to be the same source as the main battery.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

DarrenG

With no load the drain would be pretty negligible and will only affect the first battery in a session?
[b]Darren Griffin[/b]

Hands0n

Of course ... I meant Peter King, and here';s his video where he demonstrates the GPS lock issue with a Crius AIOP but goes on to say that this issue affects all FCs with current day GPS.

Video here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9nUpRVVoc

It all makes sense I suppose.  That and how well your GPS board performs in the first place.  I keep reading that uBlox is the best. Thats not what is on my HK MultiWii Pro - and it definitely does the toilet bowl thing. Scary in the back garden, probably not so when out in the field.
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Leigh

here';s how a multirotor should take off - just don';t watch past the first 30 seconds unless you want to see how it shouldn';t land :-)

T Copter yaw block failure crash
Aussie on the loose in Belfast.

rsmith21

WOW that was some landing :) , I don';t think I want to be that good  :sick:

I waited 3 mins today and took off it Atti mode and no problems, so patience is the key, thanks again all, another problem solved. :notworthy:
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Hands0n

That 3 minute wait might as well be half an eternity  :rofl:
--
Danny

rsmith21

A few more flights today and after waiting the prescribed time perfect take off. As you say it takes an eternity, check email, check face Book, look around , twiddle thumbs.  :crossfingers: :rofl: Take off.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Hands0n

Same here. Three flights today. The first had the full 3-minute pre-flight GPS treatment, Loiter and RTL were spot on. The second flight I didn';t wait after the battery change, Loiter was vague and RTL was about 7-10 metres off.  The third flight was prefixed by the 3-minute wait and use of Loiter and RTL were on target again. 

Next up, I';ve got to sort out the ALT PIDs, mine bobs around like a cork on the ocean at times. I';ve got the Baro in a nice foam coat with the FC inside a nice tupperware-style container (hint, Wilkinsons, £1 a pop).
--
Danny

Leigh

Quote from: rsmith21 on Saturday,July 06, 2013, 21:30:22
WOW that was some landing :) , I don';t think I want to be that good  :sick:

I waited 3 mins today and took off it Atti mode and no problems, so patience is the key, thanks again all, another problem solved. :notworthy:

Hehe yes, patience is key. FWIW, the repair was under an hour to get flying again.  I spent another hour improving the yaw block rod to a 7mm dia shaft with M6 thread and threadlocked it into the back boom.  No slopvnow and it wont pull out again in a hurry!
Aussie on the loose in Belfast.