Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 15:31:16

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

AMMO Box for Charging

Started by rsmith21, Monday,July 01, 2013, 09:46:52

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmith21

I use an Ammo box to charge my LiPos and wondered if the old hands here have any tips to improve or make life easier.

I drilled holes for the wires then carefully made them ultra smooth with my Dremmel to avoid chaffing, maybe fit grommets later.

I used double sided to stick the charger to the lid so that they are one unit. The thermal sensor enters via a little hole behind the unit.

I find the case is maybe a little deep and wonder if anyone puts polystyrene in the bottom to lift the batteries, but wondered about keeping the battery cool.

All batteries live in here when not in use for safety.
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

Calomile

That';s a neat idea mounting the charger to the top. I use one at the moment just with the wires dangling down from the charger into the box from the side, this is a much more elegant solution!  ~~
I reverse polarities for fun.

Jumpy07

I have a 50 cal ammo box.. .. not for charging,... just for storing

BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Gaza07

Thats a very good idea  ~~ I must admit I havent taken any precautuins with mine yet  :o
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

barneyg

I';ve got an ammo box winging its way to me just now.  I';m probably going to end up getting a 2nd one ... one for storage and another for charging :).

I was thinking of putting a couple of 4mm sockets in the side facing out so I can just connect up the charger with a set of cables and then connecting them to another set of 4mm sockets inside that I can connect the charging cable to ... Just thought about the balancing cable ... hmmm need to work out how to connect that :)

rsmith21

Quote from: barneyg on Monday,July 01, 2013, 12:38:24
I';ve got an ammo box winging its way to me just now.  I';m probably going to end up getting a 2nd one ... one for storage and another for charging :).

I was thinking of putting a couple of 4mm sockets in the side facing out so I can just connect up the charger with a set of cables and then connecting them to another set of 4mm sockets inside that I can connect the charging cable to ... Just thought about the balancing cable ... hmmm need to work out how to connect that :)

You can buy extension balancing leads that may help you.
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

barneyg

Yeah ... I';ve got one I use already  ... going to need at least 1 more if I want to make the think completely modular :)

Ross

I have a dozen LiPo';s and never had a problem charging/discharging them.  I do not execute manouvers that suck the guts out of LiPos.. :rofl: :rofl:
However, think I might go and have a look at the safer LIFEp04 types.
(They need a charger that will do these particular types..Hyperion have a couple). 

They have a different make up to LIPos and discharge very similar to NiMH batts as far as I can make out.   
At least they   dispenses with the need for an ammo box  (not that I use one--a biscuit tin serves as well!)!!

Plenty of info on Google from the manufacturers (A123..for instance )

Anybody used or using them?
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

bunnygirl80

Ammo boxes are superb for storing batteries. They';re made out of metal and fireproof. I';ve been using them for years. I think I';ve even got a spare in the shed. Here';s my collection!!! I like your idea about incorporating the charger. Nice one!

Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

Gav

How much are you guys spending on your army surplus ammo boxes?

Ross

Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

ChrisH

Quote from: Gav on Monday,July 01, 2013, 15:54:15
How much are you guys spending on your army surplus ammo boxes?

Two for £19 including delivery!  ~~
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

KK1W

Quote from: Ross on Monday,July 01, 2013, 13:16:27
I have a dozen LiPo';s and never had a problem charging/discharging them.  I do not execute manouvers that suck the guts out of LiPos.. :rofl: :rofl:
However, think I might go and have a look at the safer LIFEp04 types.
(They need a charger that will do these particular types..Hyperion have a couple). 

They have a different make up to LIPos and discharge very similar to NiMH batts as far as I can make out.   
At least they   dispenses with the need for an ammo box  (not that I use one--a biscuit tin serves as well!)!!

Plenty of info on Google from the manufacturers (A123..for instance )

Anybody used or using them?

I';ve been using LiFe for a few years with portable ham radio operation. I also use lipo with the radios. Lipo has better power density, whether multicopter or backpack weight is still important. Charging is much easier with LiFe and I don';t think they are anywhere near as flammable. That being said I still prefer lipo, the LiFe battery gets used because it has a more compatible voltage for most ham radio applications.

I have to admit I take very few charging/storage precautions. This thread is making me reconsider my ways but... :whistling:

I think I will go the route of clay flower pots. Cheap, nonflammable and nonconductive so not as much to worry about when running the cables. Mounting the charger on the ammo box lid is an elegant method for sure!

Jim
Jim/KK1W

Biffa

Just remember to allow your ammo boxes to vent in the event of a fire, otherwise you will have a small bomb on your hands ~~
Steve

bunnygirl80

My friend is an amourer in the forces, so I get mine for free!  ~~
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

ChrisH

Quote from: bunnygirl80 on Monday,July 01, 2013, 21:44:37
My friend is an amourer in the forces, so I get mine for free!  ~~

Ok for some... :nananana:
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

bunnygirl80

Ok, I';ve just spoken with him and he can offer two for free. They are purely one per person, first come first serve and you must come to the North West Meet to pick them up. He will try and get another one or two also and if he does then they will be available at the meet too. Perhaps a price for one of the competitions - who knows. If you';re interested PM me and we will bring them with us to the North West Meet.

Gav

Kind of your friend

Edit  owwww  sadly cant make it up north for the meet.

bunnygirl80

Quote from: Gav on Monday,July 01, 2013, 21:57:20
Gets us a couple, Stef.  Cheers in advance. :)

Hi Gav, can only offer you one. You coming to the meet?

barneyg

Well mine just turned up ... was a little ratty so I took a wire brush to it and stuck a coat of spray on silver hammerite I happened to have lying around on the out side ... will need to do the inside tonight.