Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 13:46:51

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

New Naza build please expect some stupid questions

Started by davethepitch, Sunday,June 30, 2013, 16:49:24

Previous topic - Next topic

davethepitch

Hello all

Today i stripped down my Reptile quad and took off the KK V2.0 flight controller and i have renewed the connectors that come from the four ESC';s and i have coiled them up.

When i had the KK V2.0 board i think i explained in a past thread that i removed the red power wires from ESC';s 2, 3 and 4 but left ESC number 1 with the red wire to power the KK V2.0 board as i was concerned that by having red power wires coming from all the ESC';s could cause problems for the flight control board.

In the picture i have not yet stuck the Naza flight control unit as i wanted to make sure that i had it facing the correct way forward which i am sure it is right see picture.

I have replaced all of the ESC connectors with new and i have left all three of the wires (signal, positive and negative power wires) attached to the connectors and i am not sure that leaving them attached will affect the Naza unit but i am sure i was told it would not (but please see picture of one of my Rctimer 20 amp ESC';s)

My first three questions are:

1) Have i got the Naza facing the correct way on the quad.

2) Will having the positive wires on the ESC';s affect the Naza like it does on some Flight control boards.

3) Also i am not sure which way the ESC connectors fit into the Naza does the signal wire go near the top or the bottom of the unit (i think by reading the manual the signal wire goes near to the bottom of the unit)

4) I am not sure which way the RX connectors fit into the Naza and does the signal wire go near the top or the bottom of the unit.

I am sorry if these questions sound stupid and obvious and i have tried to read the manual but in all honesty it looks pretty technical and i have got confused without making excuses perhaps i am tired after all the rewiring i have done today.  :embarrassed

All help will be greatly appreciated in my quest to get this flight control system up and possibly running.

I have tried and look for some pictures on the internet of the ESC';s and the RX cables connected to a Naza flight control unit but i cannot find any.  :(

Thank you

Dave

dp106

Quote from: davethepitch on Sunday,June 30, 2013, 16:49:24
1) Have i got the Naza facing the correct way on the quad.
The motor connections on the Naza should face front of the quad
2) Will having the positive wires on the ESC';s affect the Naza like it does on some Flight control boards.
Not sure but you don';t need them connected so just pop the pin out to be safe?
3) Also i am not sure which way the ESC connectors fit into the Naza does the signal wire go near the top or the bottom of the unit (i think by reading the manual the signal wire goes near to the bottom of the unit)
signal wire on the bottom yes. There is a small picture on the top of the unit if you';re unsure.
4) I am not sure which way the RX connectors fit into the Naza and does the signal wire go near the top or the bottom of the unit.
same as the esc';s and again there';s a small diagram on top of the naza

davethepitch

Hello dp106

Thank you for replying and i have been looking for a picture of a Naza with the ESC and RX wires attached for reference and i just cannot find any pictures anywhere.

Dave

dp106

This is the only one I have of mine not sure if you';ll be able to see the connections clearly though.

davethepitch

Hello dp106

I have found a video where the person fitting the ESC';s stated that unless you are using DJI Opto ESC';s then the signal wires are ok but if the ESC';s you are using have a bec then you will need to remove the red wires from your ESC';s which i had done as you already told me to so i guess the red wire may upset the Naza flight control unit.

Also i had labelled up my motors incorrectly as i had front left as M1 front right as M2 rear right as M3 and rear left as M4.

I have now corrected them and they are now front right M1 front left M2 rear left as M3 and rear right as M4.

Looking at your picture i see you have exactly the same Turnigy RX that i have and it is difficult to tell which way the connectors are fitted so i wonder if you could tell me if the ESC signal wires are near the top or bottom of the Naza unit and are the signal wires going to the RX near the top or bottom on the Naza unit.

Thanks Dave

rsmith21

Hi Dave, I didn';t find the connector sockets gave a clear indication either, the matter is made worse by the use of a brown wire instead of a black wire.

I';ve removed all red wires from my Turnigy 18A ESCs I cut them off about 1\2 away from the plug.

You have the motors Id sorted Front Right 1 (Prop rotation Anti clock wise )  Front Left 2 (Prop rotation clock wise ) Back Left 3 (Prop rotation Anti clock wise )
Back Right 4  (Prop rotation clock wise )

stick with reading the manual, and re reading again and again, it will all make sense eventually and you always understand a bit more each time.

Have you read the NAZA GAUGE, its not an official document but clarifies other things.
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

dp106

Quote from: davethepitch on Sunday,June 30, 2013, 19:29:19
Hello dp106

I have found a video where the person fitting the ESC';s stated that unless you are using DJI Opto ESC';s then the signal wires are ok but if the ESC';s you are using have a bec then you will need to remove the red wires from your ESC';s which i had done as you already told me to so i guess the red wire may upset the Naza flight control unit.

Also i had labelled up my motors incorrectly as i had front left as M1 front right as M2 rear right as M3 and rear left as M4.

I have now corrected them and they are now front right M1 front left M2 rear left as M3 and rear right as M4.

Looking at your picture i see you have exactly the same Turnigy RX that i have and it is difficult to tell which way the connectors are fitted so i wonder if you could tell me if the ESC signal wires are near the top or bottom of the Naza unit and are the signal wires going to the RX near the top or bottom on the Naza unit.

Thanks Dave
If you use the leads that come with the naza they will only go in one way add they have a small notch on one end?

On the naza the brown wire should be on the top on both sides. On the Rx the brown should be on the bottom

davethepitch

Hello rsmith21

If you use the leads that come with the naza they will only go in one way add they have a small notch on one end?

That seems to have sorted that little issue.  ~~

On the naza the brown wire should be on the top on both sides. On the Rx the brown should be on the bottom

I was under the impression that the Naza is a plug and go type flight controller and i read some where that it was so simple and straight forward to install and it flies straight out of the box.

I am trying to read the manual but the more i read the more confused i get, but then again i am also trying to help a friend setup his quad over the phone as he is building a 450 quad with a KK V2.0 board and every half hour he rings and i leave what i am doing to help him as i know how to fully set his quad up to a very stable flyer.  :smiley:

Dave

SimonS

If we disregard Old Sanwa sets, all Control Rx';s have the + as the middle pin.  Futaba have connectors with the notch and the signal pin is nearest the notch.  Futaba colour their leads black/red/white most others are brown/red/orange(or yellow). The white, orange or yellow is the signal. Look at the symbols next to the F2 and X3 on the Naza.

So..... The signal pin goes at the bottom on the Naza.

Note that contrary to what has been stated above, some Rx';s have the signal at the top and some at the bottom. Check!

You can safely leave the red wire in the ESC connector - it makes no difference to the Naza.

The end of the Naza with the motor connector should face the front og the quad.  Not that the Naza in your first picture is not mounted square to the frame. I would suggest that you reposition it for best results.

davethepitch

Quote from: SimonS on Sunday,June 30, 2013, 23:42:38 Not that the Naza in your first picture is not mounted square to the frame. I would suggest that you reposition it for best results.

Hello SimonS

The Naza is only placed onto frame at the moment and i did not stick it down as i knew i needed to remove it so i could get access to the power distribution board that is protected under the quad.

I have now soldered the VU (versatile unit) to the power distribution board and i have connected the four pin lead from the VU to the LED port on the Naza and i have put the other connector into the BATT port on the Naza.

I have put the ESC connectors in the front M1, M2, M3 and M4 and i have connected up the RX and i have put the following connectors from the Naza to the RX.

CH1 - AILE
CH2 - ELEV
CH3 - THRO
CH4 - RUDD
CH5 - U

I have bound my Turnigy 9X TX to the Turnigy RX and i have a constant red light so i am sure that is now bound.

When i turn on the TX and then attach the lipo the VU starts to flash and then stays blinking and i do not know what i have done wrong.  :frantic:

Dave

Naza

guest325

davethepitch

Quote from: DarrellW on Monday,July 01, 2013, 17:31:38
Your video is private, no one can look at it!

I don';t understand why as i have set it as public.  :confused:

Dave

guest325

Quote from: davethepitch on Monday,July 01, 2013, 18:04:29
I don';t understand why as i have set it as public.  :confused:

Dave
It';s ok now, perhaps when I looked it was still being processed.

davethepitch

Hello DarrellW

Other than sticking the main Naza unit facing square on to the front of the quad i do not know where to go or what to do from here.  :frantic:

Dave

guest325

Quote from: davethepitch on Monday,July 01, 2013, 18:31:15
Hello DarrellW

Other than sticking the main Naza unit facing square on to the front of the quad i do not know where to go or what to do from here.  :frantic:

Dave
I';m less wise about it than you I';m afraid, it';s academic interest in case I decide to go that way myself!

davethepitch

I have now attached the main Naza unit and the RX to the quad and i have also installed the software onto my laptop.

When i connect the lipo the lights flash red then yellow then green then it flashes green and then constantly flashes yellow and i have no idea what they mean or where to go from here.

I sometimes feel i should have stayed with my KK V2.0 flight controller as it was a lot less hassle.

Dave

ChrisH

Stick with it!! :smiley:
Have you looked at http://www.dji-innovations.com/tutorial/naza-m-tutorials/ ? :hmm:

The thing with Naza is that it is simple but flexible. All the information is online, no manuals provided. You will need to go to the download section and find the correct manual for your Naza. If you have downloaded the 3.12 software then the Quickstart guide 1.8 is the essential read. It has all the LED sequences and their meanings. It sounds like you may have the Tx in a failsafe situation (yellow continuous flashing LED). Connect to the Naza Assistant and look at the status .

There is a wealth of information in those DJI pages but not always easy to find the bit you need!  ~~
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

davethepitch

Hello ChrisH

I have connected the Naza up to the laptop and downloaded and installed the driver and it connects as i am getting a green and flashing blue icon at the bottom left.

The problem i am seeing is that i am getting a flashing RX-ERR at the bottom of the assistent screen.  :banghead:

Dave

ChrisH

Dave, Can you see the display moving when you move the Tx controls when looking at the Assistant tab "Basic" and "RC" the arrows should move when the Tx sticks move? If so, you are connected OK!

If the Assistant blue light flashes and the Naza LED is solid green you are OK!
Chris
Hubsan X4

ChrisH

BTW, looks like DJI have updated the Quick Start Guide to 1.10 but don';t know what';s changed yet! It';s the most useful reference to errors etc., on the Naza.
:smiley:
Chris
Hubsan X4

KK1W

The constant flashing yellow is an indication your tx/Rx aren';t talking. Like Chris said have you hooked up the Naza assistant and checked the R/C setup. You should see the indicators move when you move the sticks on the transmitter.

No matter how easy you want it too be there';s still a lot of things to check and setup in these machines. There just isn';t any substitute to reading and following the manual step by step. Once setup the Naza flies really well :smiley:

I think you have the naza lite? I';m not familiar with that version of the assistant but if it';s similar to the others when you hover over settings it tells you what you should do on that particular setup screen.

Hope this helps and good luck

Jim
Jim/KK1W

dp106

I think someone';s already said to download the manual if you haven';t already. If you';re getting an rx error have you calibrated your rx in the assistant? Otherwise it would suggest the naza isn';t getting a signal from it so you may not have connected it properly?

ChrisH

Quote from: KK1W on Monday,July 01, 2013, 20:38:07
The constant flashing yellow is an indication your tx/Rx aren';t talking. Like Chris said have you hooked up the Naza assistant and checked the R/C setup. You should see the indicators move when you move the sticks on the transmitter.

Jim, I forgot about the radio error of continuous flashing! It is the same as if you knock to RTH switch by mistake ( :whistling:)
Chris
Hubsan X4

davethepitch

Quote from: ChrisH on Monday,July 01, 2013, 20:25:51
Dave, Can you see the display moving when you move the Tx controls when looking at the Assistant tab "Basic" and "RC" the arrows should move when the Tx sticks move? If so, you are connected OK!

If the Assistant blue light flashes and the Naza LED is solid green you are OK!

I have my TX set to PPM and i have rebound my RX but i am getting no movement from the sticks and i still have the RX-ERR and i have checked the RX connections.

Dave

ChrisH

Quote from: ChrisH on Monday,July 01, 2013, 20:29:14
BTW, looks like DJI have updated the Quick Start Guide to 3.10 but don';t know what';s changed yet! It';s the most useful reference to errors etc., on the Naza.
:smiley:

Dave, I missed earlier reference to Naza lite. You just need to navigate form the link and go to downloads for the correct version of your Naza. All will be revealed! http://www.dji-innovations.com/tutorial/naza-m-tutorials/
Chris
Hubsan X4

ChrisH

Quote from: davethepitch on Monday,July 01, 2013, 20:48:10
I have my TX set to PPM and i have rebound my RX but i am getting no movement from the sticks and i still have the RX-ERR and i have checked the RX connections.

Dave
I';m not familiar with your specific receiver but I thought PPM was a single Rx to Naza connection. If you are connecting using one to one cables between both (4 to 6 cables) I think you need to select Traditional for the receiver type?

Someone will correct me if I';m wrong but it won';t cause any problem to try it anyway.  :hmm:
Chris
Hubsan X4

rsmith21

Quote from: davethepitch on Monday,July 01, 2013, 20:48:10

Dave

Did you click the WRITE button after selecting the PPM mode to tell the MC what to look for.
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

ChrisH

Quote from: rsmith21 on Monday,July 01, 2013, 21:40:22
Did you click the WRITE button after selecting the PPM mode to tell the MC what to look for.
Or just press enter on the latest software?

Just read the Lite manual and it still has the "Write" button, sorry!
Chris
Hubsan X4

davethepitch

I have tried everything I can think of and I have had enough of all these problems so I shall be taking off the Naza and strip down the quad and sell everything as I have had a belly full of this hobby.

Thank you to everyone who had replied.

Dave

ChrisH

Have you read the Naza manual? You';re giving up too quickly IMHO  :smiley:

Give us an update on what you have tried? What are current LED sequences?

I think most of us have had times like yours but with the forum community here to help you';ll get through!

Leave things for now, give it a rest for a day then start from page 1 and work through!   ~~
Chris
Hubsan X4