Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 12:20:15

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Little flight of my Mini quad

Started by CurryKitten, Thursday,June 27, 2013, 11:34:10

Previous topic - Next topic

CurryKitten

Here';s a quick vid of my last quad flight from Monday.  The frame comes from the Turnigy mini quad thingy HK sell, but I';ve kind of rearranged things in order to carry a little 808 #16 cam and a micro VTX.  This video was from a test flight to see if i could clear up my live picture with an attempt at making an LC filter.

I made 3 flights, and neglected to press record on the fisrt one, so here';s a few minutes from the other two

Mini Quad FPV: LC Filter attempt

I absolutely love flying this little thing, it';s like having my own personal angry bee.  I';m just getting one weird problem though - it';s powered by a 950mah 2S nano-tech lipo (which gives about 4 minutes) but the KK2 voltage alarm goes of quite early if I pull any high throttle stuff... and then settles again.

i must admit i don';t know how the voltage alarm works, there seems to be levels so more frequent beep = lower voltage.  Anyone know when it starts going off.  It';s hard to believe I';m doing enough to pull a fresh 4.2v cell to 3.3v in a single manouver

Gaza07

Nice flying and the filter worked very well  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

JT

Really cool video :cool: The little quad looks fast!

teslahed

Quotethe KK2 voltage alarm goes of quite early if I pull any high throttle stuff... and then settles again.

This is perfectly normal. The reason this happens is that when you throttle up your motors drain more amps which actually causes the voltage across the battery to drop slightly. Your voltage could drop by as much as 0.5 volts when you go from 50% throttle to 100% which is easily enough to drop you below the point that the voltage alarm will start to sound at. When you go back to 50% throttle your voltage will recover and the alarm will stop for a bit.

If you pay attention to the way the voltage alarm behaves you will learn to read the first few times it starts going off in the climbs as a kind of ';early warning';.

Eventually you';ll want to fit an OSD so that you can view the voltage readout in your video link - it makes things a lot clearer. The ';Super Simple OSD'; is the cheapest and easiest to setup (and lightest) - it just does voltage and a timer - and even that makes it a lot more obvious what the battery is doing. I would land as soon as i saw 10.2 volts on mine and never had an issue.

Also - nice FPV quad! I learned to fly fpv with a mini quad a similar size to yours and all my first few flights were with an 808#16 as well. Something about flying a quad that light and cheap which makes you feel more confident about throwing it about a bit :smiley: I';m definitely a fan of the smaller multirotors with the higher kv props myself - just because of how well they can perform for this kind of flying.

I think your low pass filter would work even better with more turns on the inductor. What capacity capacitor have you used? I used a 1000uF 16 volt on mine as i just copied the values hobbyking had used.

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

nub

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

CurryKitten

Thanks for that teslahed.  I';ve got kind of use to how the beeping works... although the ground recording just has soundbytes of me saying "shut up" as this little beeping thing buzzes about.  I was after one of those super simple OSD';s for a little plane, but if they ever come back in stock I';ll see how well it would fit into the quad... there';s not an awful lot of room left.

I';m definately a fan of throwing around a little quad - I wouldn';t do the same with my Naza 450 sized one, there';s too much money up there to wreck :D

Capacitor is a 470uf, I based this on a post I found on RC  groups about building an LC.  I reckon I could get a few more turns on the inductor, and obviously use a bigger cap.  It was kind of a suck it and see attempt...  I am fairly lazy though, so i might also try the easy alternative of powering the VTX from a seperate 1S and see how that goes.

guest325

Have you tried higher C value Lipos, it might just be that you';re pulling enough amps to make your battery droop.

CurryKitten

Quote from: DarrellW on Thursday,June 27, 2013, 12:51:39
Have you tried higher C value Lipos, it might just be that you';re pulling enough amps to make your battery droop.

I';m using these Nano-techs http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29021__Turnigy_nano_tech_950mah_2S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html which are 25C but should handle 50c in bursts.  These motors only pull 6a each max - so I did think I was using a meaty enough lipo.  That said, it';s all guess work from me - please feel free to correct.

guest325

Quote from: CurryKitten on Thursday,June 27, 2013, 12:59:31
I';m using these Nano-techs http://www.hobbyking.com/hobby king/store/__29021__Turnigy_nano_tech_950mah_2S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html which are 25C but should handle 50c in bursts.  These motors only pull 6a each max - so I did think I was using a meaty enough lipo.  That said, it';s all guess work from me - please feel free to correct.
Should be ok I make your max load 24A so 25C 950mah should be just about ok, but I personally would try a 35/40C to see if it makes any difference, I take these burst figures with a dose of salts.
It might be worth looking at the Zippy compacts as well.

Gav

I can confirm that this quad is an awesome fpv micro eyeball in the sky.  I want one ::) 

Ps it does have very similar characteristics to a teslaquad I.e. lots of fun and sounds like a nat zapping around lol