Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 14:22:42

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Andy7:
21 Aug 2019 12:15:41
Gaza - can you make the subject line section in the forum topic list wider? It's cutting off the subject field really short.
Andy7:
19 Aug 2019 09:14:20
Good for you!  ~~
DarkButterfly:
18 Aug 2019 19:13:57
Had another negative encounter, it's been a few years since the last one, just an uneducated ******, going on about drones being illegal yada yada yada.    :-/
Still that didn't spoil my flying time, had an absolute blast  ~~
Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
hoverfly:
30 Jul 2019 15:26:34
D.B. you tightwad.. :cool:
atomiclama:
29 Jul 2019 20:14:10
DB that just means you have shed loads of props in the first place ;-)
DarkButterfly:
29 Jul 2019 18:53:33
Just had a thought, even with all the crashing I've done, I haven't bought any replacement props in over a year ~~
ched:
09 Jul 2019 19:45:42
May the sun shine and winds be light for BFU#8. Son't forget lots of vids for those of us unable to attend.  :D
Gaza07:
09 Jul 2019 18:10:30
Hope you all have a great day  :beer2:
Andy7:
09 Jul 2019 14:05:28
BFU#8 details locked in for this saturday - see the head of the forum thread for all details.
Members
  • Total Members: 8066
  • Latest: badger1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196561
  • Total Topics: 19802
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 27
Total: 29

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

Loiter Mode = fall from sky

Started by FragglePete, Friday,June 21, 2013, 10:12:41

Previous topic - Next topic

FragglePete

I';ve got an issue with Loiter, it always seemed to work but I had noticed that when I switch to Loiter Mode, it would seem the motors seem to pause for a heartbeat or so and it would then loiter quite happily.  Last night I took it out for a flight (perfect conditions, no wind whatsoever) and tried Loiter, this time it just seem to fall out of the sky and hit the ground on its belly quite hard - thankfully no major damage as I was only about 3m up.

It did this also last week when I tried RTL, just seemed to come crashing to the ground which would make me think something is wrong somewhere.  I';m now at the point where I don';t want to try loiter or RTL again which is a tad annoying to say the least.

Any ideas?

Pete

firey1

what is your version of arducopter are you running
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

FragglePete

APM2.5, running latest firmware, 2.9.1 I believe ?

Pete

rickp

Friday,June 21, 2013, 18:14:46 #3 Last Edit: Friday,June 21, 2013, 18:20:43 by rickp
Check your vibrations - and post a dataflash log, so we can see what was going on...

optiplex

FragglePete

Will try the update I guess, and get a tlog downloaded (away at the moment).  I going to drill a hole or two in the top of my case to help the air movement in case it might be that not letting enough air flow over the sensor.

Thanks for all your help.

Pete

FragglePete

Hopefully this evening will be another test to see if Loiter works....

I';ve uploaded v3.0.0 firmware to the board, which seems to have a positive effect in that my ESC';s now arm directly off the LiPo.  I was always having to boot the board via USB first before applying LiPo power, well chuffed that is sorted   ~~

I';ve drilled a hole in the top of the case (lunch box), which should allow air to pass through it.  My theory being that air particles need to move around the barometer bit, and having a box essentially stopped this movement of air.  I have my APM mounted in its own enclosure (covered with foamy stuff), and this is all then enclosed in said lunch box.  Not enough air being allowed to circulate around it?  Maybe clutching at straws?  Worth a try I guess.

I did a quick hover test last night in the back garden after the firmware updated just to ensure all was well and it seemed quite happy.  I did try enabling raw on my logs to look at vibration but couldn';t see a RAW entry in the log file - not sure what was going on there?  Has the log format output changed in v3.0.0?  It was definately ';raw enabled';.

I may mount some packing material on the base of the quad tonight to help act as a buffer for if things go wrong again when putting in loiter.

Will report back tonight either in  :cry or in joyous  ::) 

Pete

DarrenG

Quote from: FragglePete on Tuesday,June 25, 2013, 10:30:39 I did try enabling raw on my logs to look at vibration but couldn';t see a RAW entry in the log file - not sure what was going on there?  Has the log format output changed in v3.0.0?  It was definately ';raw enabled';.

It';s called ';IMU'; now, so ';enable IMU'; is what you need for detailed logging.
Darren Griffin
@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld
Sky-Hero Little Spyder with Naza V2, Arducopter Quad with Pixhawk and Emax 250 with Naze32

FragglePete

Not had chance to try a proper flight, suffering from a bloody cold so not really had the chance.

However, have had a chance to look at the raw / imu logs and quite pleased with the results.  This is after a 30 second float around the back garden this evening.

All the axis appear to be within tolerances, the bump at the end being the landing.  Seems to be floating quite nicely.

Pete

DarrenG

Looks pretty good, would be nice to see a zoomed in view of the log scale. v3.0 is a lot more sensitive to z-axis vibration but I don';t see you have much to worry about there.
Darren Griffin
@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld
Sky-Hero Little Spyder with Naza V2, Arducopter Quad with Pixhawk and Emax 250 with Naze32

FragglePete

Finally got out and gave 3.0.0 and my modifications a go and pleased to report all seems well.  It did not fall out of the sky during Loiter.  However, was being blown about a bit so not an entirely static loiter but conditions were a bit blustery.

One thing I did notice; invoking RTL brings it straight back whereas before it would turn first and then fly home, since 3.0.0 it just seem to bring itself back although I didn';t let it do it all itself as again it seemed to blow about abit and I wasn';t happy in the space I was in to let do its own thing.

Pete

rickp

Yaw during RTL is governed by a setting. The concern for novices was the model arriving back "nose in".

See http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arducopter-parameters/#Yaw_behaviour_during_missions_ArduCopterWP_YAW_BEHAVIOR where 2 is the default and 1 is the old behaviour.