Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,August 23, 2019, 01:02:35

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
22 Aug 2019 22:47:32
Sorted mate  ~~
Andy7:
22 Aug 2019 10:27:36
Sure. But basically, all the subjects are getting cut off.
Gaza07:
21 Aug 2019 18:14:54
Can you pm me a screen shot of what you mean
Andy7:
21 Aug 2019 12:15:41
Gaza - can you make the subject line section in the forum topic list wider? It's cutting off the subject field really short.
Andy7:
19 Aug 2019 09:14:20
Good for you!  ~~
DarkButterfly:
18 Aug 2019 19:13:57
Had another negative encounter, it's been a few years since the last one, just an uneducated ******, going on about drones being illegal yada yada yada.    :-/
Still that didn't spoil my flying time, had an absolute blast  ~~
Gaza07:
07 Aug 2019 19:52:01
ooooh mrs jones  :D
hoverfly:
30 Jul 2019 15:26:34
D.B. you tightwad.. :cool:
atomiclama:
29 Jul 2019 20:14:10
DB that just means you have shed loads of props in the first place ;-)
DarkButterfly:
29 Jul 2019 18:53:33
Just had a thought, even with all the crashing I've done, I haven't bought any replacement props in over a year ~~
Members
  • Total Members: 8066
  • Latest: badger1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 196578
  • Total Topics: 19804
  • Online Today: 44
  • Online Ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Printing 3d Forum

Rctimer OSD v1.0 issue

Started by optiplex, Friday,June 14, 2013, 20:38:29

Previous topic - Next topic

optiplex

Hi

got an issue with this osd - http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=862

let me start by saying there is no HEAT problem, and this OSD has no place for solder blobs to do the anti heat mod, this osd meant to be used with 12 volts

ths issue i have is after i connect the power and ready to fly i see the data on the screen updating ok once i give little throttle it stops updating, i press the reset button on the osd and sometimes it works right away and sometimes need to unplug the power and re-plug and than i can fly and all ok during the flight and the osd returns cold , no problem of heat

any idea why when i throttle up the osd update stops ???

thx

Biffa

I have one of these and it got incredibly hot running on 12v, so much so I now power both sides of the board with 5v and even then it still gets hotter than I would like.

Steve

teslahed

I have one of these and it gets quite warm in use. I';d say about 60 degrees C approx at a guess.

I am not sure if that counts as an overheating problem or not really. So far it';s worked fine - indoors for 10 mins at a time...

Quoteany idea why when i throttle up the osd update stops ???

Could it be an interference issue with power running to the motors?
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

optiplex

as i said mine doesnt get hot at all, they fixed that
but maybe some interference although i reset and than same interference doesnt affect the osd ???
strange

teslahed

Quote from: optiplex on Friday,June 14, 2013, 21:40:08
as i said mine doesnt get hot at all, they fixed that

I am not totally sure if i bought mine from rctimer before or after the problem was fixed. Mine is marked with V1.0 what version do you have?

Biffa

Quote from: teslahed on Friday,June 14, 2013, 22:05:03
I am not totally sure if i bought mine from rctimer before or after the problem was fixed. Mine is marked with V1.0 what version do you have?

I bought mine after they said it was fixed, still have to run mine on 5v.
Steve

teslahed

I think mine will be ok because it';s in a fair amount of prop wash but i do wonder what would happen if it failed due to heat. Would the OSD information disappear or would the entire video signal go?

Biffa

I';m guessing the OSD would shut down/reset when it overheats :hmm:
Steve

firey1

i never had much luck with the OSDs i have fried 2 including the one thats not ment to overheat and run on 12v till i got the cheaper version and modded it to run 5v and never had a prob since
they seem to be very susceptible to power spikes
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

teslahed

Did they fry in mid flight and if so did you lose video or just the OSD?

firey1

Saturday,June 15, 2013, 06:59:47 #10 Last Edit: Saturday,June 15, 2013, 08:45:24 by firey1
Quote from: teslahed on Saturday,June 15, 2013, 04:14:10
Did they fry in mid flight and if so did you lose video or just the OSD?

1 fried during setup
the other the 12v one fried during flight lucky i was LOS flying at the time and yes when the video chip fries you loose video feed
MIKE

F450 quad
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

optiplex

mine is version 1 according to whats printed on the pcb
again it is not getting hot
today i did 7 flights, the issue is like this every time :    i connect everything and when i plug the main lipo i get the osd read outs on the screen and at this point they are updating, after i arm the motors and put little throttle the update freezez, so i go to the quad push the reset button on the osd, and after that everything works good
thats what i have to do each flight

firey1

hey Jake just been doing some research and it looks like it maybe a fault with the code thats loaded on the osd

people are having problems when they arm motors
the solution at moment is to turn off warning messages in the osd and that solves the freezing issue till they get it sorted 
MIKE

F450 quad

optiplex

i think the solution is far more simple ....
been doing some brain storming with jumpy yesterday and i think its just the order im plugging the power sources
i tried plugging the small lipo for the osd last (as it should be, didnt think of it) after the main lipo and it seems working right from the start without the need for osd reset after 1st throttle

will check some more

thx all

firey1

interesting
my osd is powered straight from the APM board or are you meaning the power to the camera
MIKE

F450 quad

optiplex

Quote from: firey1 on Sunday,June 16, 2013, 05:46:08
interesting
my osd is powered straight from the APM board or are you meaning the power to the camera

i have a small 800mah 3s lipo for the fpv system including the camera, and a big lipo for the apm esc';s radio and the rest
so plugging the little fpv lipo last did the trick, simple as that

firey1

Ah ok yeah i power my gear from the ballance plug on the main lipo
but never noticed any probs if i plug that in first
MIKE

F450 quad

Jumpy07

The reason you need to power up the OSD last is that it needs to tell the APM to send Mavlink data.

On boot the OSD sends a request to the APM (needs TX and RX connected), you can also initiate the Mvalink session if you have telemetry by connecting mission planner.

You can also force the APM to send Mavlink data to the OSD by doing the following:

Connect to Mission Planner. Go to configuration. Locate EEPROM parameters and verify that you have the following parameters configured as here:

SR0_EXT_STAT,2
SR0_EXTRA1,15
SR0_EXTRA2,10
SR0_EXTRA3,3
SR0_PARAMS,50
SR0_POSITION,3
SR0_RAW_CTRL,0
SR0_RAW_SENS,25
SR0_RC_CHAN,3
SR3_EXT_STAT,2
SR3_EXTRA1,15
SR3_EXTRA2,5
SR3_EXTRA3,3
SR3_POSITION,0
SR3_RAW_CTRL,0
SR3_RAW_SENS,25
SR3_RC_CHAN,0

Change accordingly and save the parameters to APM.

APM will then send the data to MinimOSD without waiting for the request, this is a good idea as saves having to power up in certain order .. and also ensures the data is sent in the event of a reset for any reason etc..
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

sevet

Mine is v1.0 which was said to fix the overheating, fried mid flight 1.3km away from me, lucklly RTH worked perfectly, it was the longest 3 minutes of my life.

I had to reconstruct the round coil next to the 12V inputs, then I cut the + of the 12V inputs, did a U connector to give my camera 12V from my transmitter (VTX)
and bypassed 5+ from the digital to the analog part, it was working after this. (the Video chip didn';t fry as some reported)

Working since for a while now (knock on wood...)

I used this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883842

teslahed

Quote from: sevet on Sunday,June 16, 2013, 14:07:46
Mine is v1.0 which was said to fix the overheating, fried mid flight 1.3km away from me, lucklly RTH worked perfectly, it was the longest 3 minutes of my life.

I had to reconstruct the round coil next to the 12V inputs, then I cut the + of the 12V inputs, did a U connector to give my camera 12V from my transmitter (VTX)
and bypassed 5+ from the digital to the analog part, it was working after this. (the Video chip didn';t fry as some reported)

Working since for a while now (knock on wood...)

I used this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883842

OK i';ve read the link and your post, thanks. If i understand it correctly you can power the video side with 12 volts but it only really needs 5v. If you connect it to the input power rail running at 5V and disconnect 12 volts from the minimOSD entirely it will run cooler and more reliably?

I';ve just had a go at this myself;

First i cut the trace on the circuit board between the 12V pins and the rest of the circuit by scratching it with a knife.

Then i connected the grounds on both sides and the 5V to the 12V side of the circuit.

I did this by soldering my red 5V wire to the leg of the chip that the 12V pins previously led to before i scratched the trace away.

I';m going to plug this in in a few mins and i have a feeling that it will either work beautifully or else something is going to go bang :o

Biffa

I did mine like this, still gets warm but nothing like it used to.

Steve

teslahed

I plugged in my modded 5V minimOSD and i got no video. Just a heads up display.

After fiddling around with the setup i worked out that the 12V pass through on the video transmitter seems to have failed. I have 12 V going in to my video transmitter on the hex but 12V no longer comes out to usefully power the camera.

So my camera is no longer powered via the MinimOSD pass through and so i get no video.

I am worried because i do not understand how i';ve managed to fry the 12V pass through on the video transmitter. It was working immediately before i did the 12V mod and failed as soon as i plugged the modded MinimOSD in. It';s definitely not a cable issue this time i got my multimeter on the pins.

If i connect the camera voltage input directly to my power distribution board i get video and an heads up display and everything seems to work fine. I will be redoing my soldering accordingly later.

Can anyone shed any light on what I did wrong?

Also my 5V modded MinimOSD is still getting warm...

firey1

doing that 5v mod the12v power should not be connected to the osd but a direct line to the VTX for power
only video and ground connect to the osd

even on 5v the video chip get warm but not so hot you cant touch it

as i have said i have fried a few of these in sorting out the best way even one of those more expensive ones that say you can run 12v
the one i had most success with was a $20 HK one modded the 5v and never looked back
MIKE

F450 quad

teslahed

I tried to do something clever where i cut the trace on the circuit board but left the 12 V connecting to the 2 pins on the MinimOSD so that the pins acted as the pass through and the 12 V never touched any of the MinimOSD circuit. Just as a way to keep the wiring neater.

Perhaps i missed a connection when i cut the trace from the pins and managed to connect the 12V and 5V lines up together somehow and that fried the 12V pass through on my video transmitter. I';m still not sure exactly what went wrong  :-/

sevet

Sunday,June 16, 2013, 20:28:35 #24 Last Edit: Sunday,June 16, 2013, 20:32:19 by sevet
 you connected the positive wrong, it shouldnt go wher the 13v used to go, the 12v is regulated to 5v , that what making the heat, look carefully at the link I put, the red wire goes to that small round coil , which is where I suspect 5v comes out regulated from 12

and make sure to disconnect the 12v positive input from vtx

teslahed

MinimOSD with modified 5V input and newly cut 12V pins.

teslahed

Sunday,June 16, 2013, 22:38:15 #26 Last Edit: Sunday,June 16, 2013, 22:48:03 by teslahed
It seems i really did somehow fry the 12V pass through on my video receiver. I';ve made a manual pass through with a wire and now the FPV system works again. Also i seem to be getting very slightly better video - i wonder if the pass through inside the video transmitter was picking up noise from the rest of the device. Maybe i';m better off not using it.

Biffa

I noticed an improvement in the video quality when tinkering with my set up when I first got it so have ran independent power from the start.
Steve

teslahed

Attempt number 2 at voltage modding an RCtimer MinimOSD. This time with slightly neater soldering :embarrassed

I haven';t cut or disconnected the 12 V pins because the voltage is passed through just by the cable itself. If you haven';t done this and plug 12 V and 5V in at the same time i expect the magic smoke will be released (it will break).

kitemonkee

guys, do you think my RCTimer MinimOSD 1.0 is dead when i see only black screen?
other setup (cam, video TX/RX, display) is OK for sure, i tested it with another MinimOSD (HobbyKing, v1.1, soldered jumpers to get power from APM) without problems.
there was no magic smoke and i can still upload new firmware (and also new charset) via MinimOSD Extra 2.2.
i also tried solder wires to get power from APM as mentioned here.