Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 14:03:29

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 31
Total: 32

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Prop Mount Failure or result of Crash?

Started by FragglePete, Wednesday,June 12, 2013, 11:41:40

Previous topic - Next topic

FragglePete

Had an odd one last night, got out for a flight and again I tried out the RTL switch.  The quad just seemed to fly down quickly from the sky (not far up only about 3m up I reckon), and didn';t appear to land too heavily onto the grass.  I had to walk over to it to find out what went wrong and my Number 3 motor mount had snapped off.

Took it back to my car and hooked it up to the netbook to do a quick motor test and thankfully all seems well with the motors, but on closer inspection it doesn';t really show that an impact caused this and I';m starting to think it was a failure of the cheap and nasty prop mount that came with my X525 frame.  The prop on that motor is damaged where it';s hit the frame.  I';ve ordered some new aluminium mounts to replace the current ones.

Also, is it just me or is there a world wide shortage of Props at the moment?  My current size of choice is 9x4.7 but I';m struggling to find them; where I';ve brought them from in the past seem out of stock all the time.  I';m tempted to give 10x4.5 a try with my 1000kv motors (3S Battery) - do you think it should be ok as stock seems more plentify of this size.  I';m not after fancy carbon fibre props at the moment until I stop crashing!!! :P

Pete

BaronBaz63

Hi Pete.  I';ve just got hold of an x525 with 2212 1000kv motors, running 9x5x3 props, but the model is also available with 10x4.5 twin blade props, so you should have no worries.

As a matter of interest, one of my props flew off during my maiden (my fault), resulting in a snapped mount.  Thankfully I had already received a set of alloy mounts, so swapping the front pair out quickly got the quad floating again.  If you haven';t already found out, the alloy mounts are much thicker, so the standard bolts no longer fit!

Col_M

What';s the mount made from?

Hard to tell without a microscope what the cause is for metal or composites to be honest.

If it';s metal it could be either and you can tell by looking at the crack surface, broadly speaking if it looks like the same texture like small mountains all over then it';s a fast propagation caused by impact i.e. the crash, if it has what looks like tide lines or tree rings emanating from a point which then suddenly changes to to the little mountains then it';s probably fatigue and the cause of the crash.

If it is composite I';ll go out on a limb and say it wasn';t the cause but a result of the crash, it looks very straight and took the shortest route through the material which tends to be fast fractures rather than fatigue as they tend to wander through composites, not always the case though.

I';m a bit rusty as I haven';t done failure analysis for a while, just wait for an engineer who actually uses their degree to tell you otherwise now :tongue:
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX