Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 12:48:41

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

what kind of range would

Started by nub, Thursday,June 06, 2013, 11:34:27

Previous topic - Next topic

nub

u expect to get with just a spektrum satellite on its own?
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

ChrisH

If you mean the satellite rx that comes with the AR8000 it doesn';t work by itself and the AR8000 will not work without it.

If its anything else you will have to clarify! :hmm:
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

Balders

If it helps, I';ve had best of 1.2km';s with a Dx6i and AR7000 with satellite, worst of 800m with a flaky satellite.

A lot of dependencies though...ie orientation of antenna';s of the Rx end and the Tx end, environment (any moisture in the air will have a severe affect on range for example), clear LOS etc etc etc.

You need to give us a few more details really, and even then your probably not going to get a very precise answer.

Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

nub

aye that helps cheers, its an AR7000 satellite up front on the quad, seems to be doing ok just now but was wondering how far its gong to go with FPV gear on it.

whats the best way to increase range, using a high gain antenna on the Tx?
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Balders

Depends what sort of range you are looking for.  If you want to go much more than say 1km, I would seriously think about going UHF which is good typically for >10km';s.

If you are wanting to head around the 1km mark, I';m not sure what to suggest. I';ve only ever used standard antenna';s on radio gear.  Don';t mind messing with antennas on my video gear, but I don';t really like playing with my radio stuff.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

nub

i';m no really sure to be honest a couple of KM';s, would be good to start with, it doesn';t seem that far but probably is when your in the air flying it :smiley:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

ChrisH

Unless you have very good eyesight or a very large multi I would doubt if you could still make anything out at 1Km let alone 2Km! I would think FPV flying over 1Km is still Dodgy for same reasons unless you fly in the middle of nowhere (CAA requirement for an observer).

That';s my ten pennyworth!  :hmm:
Chris
Hubsan X4

nub

well i do have a couple of areas i plan to fly, there very open and pretty much nothing around apart from maybe the odd farm house, u can see quite far into the distance that';s why i was thinking along the lines of a couple of KM';s.

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Balders

Probably the best thing to suggest is build your range up slowly, flight by flight. 1km is a surprisingly decent distance really, obviously it depends on your fpv setup too.  LOS in CAA terms is 500m, but assuming that you';re not thinking too hard about obeying rules (I bet your FPV gear is wayyyy more powerful than whats allowed for instance) just build up a few hundred meters at a time.

If you wish to stick with 2.4ghz radio gear, there are more powerful sets available (Futaba apparently is good for over 2km';s) and don';t forget that most UHF setups can simply be plugged into the trainer port on most radios.  I use a Dx6i as controller with Chainlink UHF plugged in to the trainer port on my long range setup.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

ChrisH

Quote from: nub on Thursday,June 06, 2013, 14:50:51
well i do have a couple of areas i plan to fly, there very open and pretty much nothing around apart from maybe the odd farm house, u can see quite far into the distance that';s why i was thinking along the lines of a couple of KM';s.

As a matter of interest Nub, which FC are you using? If it';s a Naza then as long as you get your failsafe RTH setup you need not worry too much about range as if you go too far, it';ll come back! Make sure it does switch to RTH in the assistant by switching Tx off and observing the status (assuming you have GPS :smiley:).

If you are using another FC then you need to keep an eye on your range!  :whistling:
Chris
Hubsan X4

nub

i don';t really know to much about the rules, something i should probably take a look at, shall have a look at this chain link thing Balders thx.

i haven';t actually bought any gear yet just kind of planning it all out, as far as a FC goes well i was just thinking of using my nanowii for some short range stuff/practice/getting used to it, i fully understand that if i want to take things a bit further i have to take saftey into mind, having a FC with features like RTH etc are going to be a must. so i was thinking along the lines of an ardupilot or something, maybe even adding something to my nanowii GPS wise. its stuff i have to look into yet :smiley:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

ChrisH

Nub, you are in the right place for advice and guidance! Glad to see that you are taking a practical view of your options. My experience is limited to Naza but I know plenty of the guys and gals on here have flown just about anything you could chuck a stick at (and a few things you wouldn';t want to)! Keep asking and reading and I';m sure you';ll enjoy things.
~~  :smiley:
Chris
Hubsan X4

Balders

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

ChrisH

Balders, interesting videos!

First one, definitely brown trousers. The sound of the motors cutting...  :blink

Second one, the magnetic attraction of all that glass... :o

Good stuff! ~~
Chris
Hubsan X4

nub

knowing me i probably will Balders :laugh: and knowing my luck i';d probably lose it, if it';s going to go for any reason i think it';ll be down to signal loss of some sort, mechanically these quads seem pretty solid and reliable, so far anyways :smiley:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Balders

Quote from: ChrisH on Thursday,June 06, 2013, 17:16:51
Balders, interesting videos!

First one, definitely brown trousers. The sound of the motors cutting...  :blink

Second one, the magnetic attraction of all that glass... :o

Good stuff! ~~

Funny thing was, I had no idea that the motors had cut on the first one during the flight...the fpv camera was much narrower FOV so props were not in view...I just thought at the time...hmmm, that acted a bit odd. Indeed the very next battery I went another 200m further, blissfully unaware of what had happened.  It was only when I got home and reviewed the footage did I realise!

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

Biffa

It';s surprising how far a few hundred meters is when you are used to just flying in circuits and 8';s in the same field, especially with helicopters.

I have only dipped my toes into FPV but flying at extreme distances doesn';t really appeal to me. I';d much rather find a church or some other interesting locations to fly around or over than how far away I can get.

Steve

ChrisH

The spooky silence - not throttle back - got me!! Split second but long enough. Lucky with that one!
:o
Chris
Hubsan X4

Balders

We were actually running a 1km time trial over on fpv-forum.com. My next flight I did the whole 1km out and back no problems at all.

This was my trusty tricopter.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

nub

Quote from: Biffa on Thursday,June 06, 2013, 21:08:23 I have only dipped my toes into FPV but flying at extreme distances doesn';t really appeal to me. I';d much rather find a church or some other interesting locations to fly around or over than how far away I can get.

its not just about how far i can get the area is large, it has a few places that would be interesting places to explore i think :smiley: ruins, a wind farm, a quarry just thinking off the top of my head.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

ChrisH

Sounds ideal! Hope you will post your videos on here when you get sorted?
Chris
Hubsan X4

Balders

In that case I would definitely say, stick with standard Spektrum gear if that';s what you are already using, make sure your Rx antenna and satellite antenna are in different planes (ie one vertical, one horizontal) and that things like batteries won';t get in the way too much if possible.

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified

nub

i will do Chris, not sure how i';ll go about recording it yet but i will post videos of some sort at some point :smiley:

aye i';m just going to stick with the spektrum gear for the moment doubt i';ll be doing anything to adventurous for a wee while or until i get the hang of it anyways.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.