Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 22:15:05

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

'Plane mode' flying mode would be good

Started by powerlord, Sunday,June 02, 2013, 16:53:48

Previous topic - Next topic

powerlord

Do any of the controllers have such a thing ? I';m thinking of a mode where it behaves much like a conventional plane at least while turning would be interesting ?

For video for example when I want to fly attack - say flying out in a big figure 8 and keep the heading of the quad in the direction of the figure 8 path.

Trying to fly it like this manually is beyond me - if I fly really slowly and just use the rudder it will sort of work (basically just keeping the elevator forward a bit) but any faster and if sort of slips more and more.

Obviously then it needs some fancy flying to counter the slipping with aileron , but as I say, beyond me: but sound like the sort of thing that would make a cool flight mode ?

Stu
[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

Biffa

For the most part I have found muli rotors behave more helicopter like in heading hold than a plane. With a plane you can ';bank and yank'; and as long as you have enough air speed you make the turn, helicopters and multis are different in that you have to use a combination of elevator, aileron and rudder to achieve a banking turn.

I have not seen a controller that does this, but perhaps flying in + mode instead of x would make a difference?
Steve

guest325

Nothing fancy about it, it';s just using both sticks at the same time - I fly mode 1 so it doesn';t seem so difficult to me because I have to do it anyway but it is an acquired skill you need to master to fly nice circuits.

peter_a

@powerlord 
QuoteDo any of the controllers have such a thing ? I';m thinking of a mode where it behaves much like a conventional plane at least while turning would be interesting ?
if you find one , I want one too !!!!
it`s not only me who had the thought they behave like a plane because they are set up like one.

Quoteit';s just using both sticks at the same time

I`m have problem moving one stick horizontally and vertically at the same time never mind two.

guest325

It would be nice to have a mode that makes the quad fly like a plane, but I don';t think you would be much better off if you are having problems with moving both sticks in all axes, part of the reason being that your quad just doesn';t behave the same and can';t it';s got too many mechanical reasons why- biggest problem is that it doesn';t glide, a thing that is so useful when you run out of juice!
I think the nearest to a multirotor that behaves similar to a plane is a tricopter which hopefully before too long I should be able to confirm.

Biffa

It';s a lot more like having a regular rudder, like on a plank.
Steve

barneyg

How about adding in a mix on your TX ... as you pitch or bank it also increases the throttle a bit to offset the loss in lift and possibly even adds in some yaw (especially on the banking) ?

Biffa

Quote from: barneyg on Sunday,June 02, 2013, 19:49:10
How about adding in a mix on your TX ... as you pitch or bank it also increases the throttle a bit to offset the loss in lift and possibly even adds in some yaw (especially on the banking) ?

You could possibly do that, maybe even on board the KK2.0 as it has some custom mixing options.

Steve

teslahed

Quote from: barneyg on Sunday,June 02, 2013, 19:49:10

/*************************************************************************************************/
/*****************                                                                 ***************/
/****************  SECTION  6 - OPTIONAL FEATURES                                          *******/
/*****************                                                                 ***************/
/*************************************************************************************************/

/************************        Angele throttle correction         ********************/
  /* Automatically increase throttle based on the angle of the copter
     Original idea by Kraut Rob, first implementation HAdrian */

//#define THROTTLE_ANGLE_CORRECTION 40

This feature has appeared in the latest multiwii dev code and looks like it might do something along those lines.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

nub

boo! :laugh: quads fly like FP heli';s, its all in the throttle :smiley:

the KK2 board has height dampening which helps if u need it.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

usnooz

Call me old fashioned but i want to fly the thing myself. i trust my flying skill more than the FC. if i crash i know its my fault :)

although i must admit its nice to have GPS hold at a flick of a switch if i need it  :frantic:
Phill

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia[/url]

Biffa

Quote from: usnooz on Sunday,June 02, 2013, 23:50:31
Call me old fashioned but i want to fly the thing myself. i trust my flying skill more than the FC. if i crash i know its my fault :)

although i must admit its nice to have GPS hold at a flick of a switch if i need it  :frantic:

I am like that, coming from helicopters and being a little old skool. I cut my teeth flying helis many years ago and it';s just natural for me to do all the sticks at the same time to pull off a banked turn or what not.

Multi rotors have introduced many people to the hobby from various back grounds who may not have that helicopter experience.

I say just enjoy the hobby as much as you can, it that involves a little help here and there then so be it.
Steve

powerlord

It takes all sorts is the thing. Me: I trust the FC more than my flying skills.

Some folk (not you guys!)  give it ';you should be able to fly helis before quads'; or ';you shouldn';t be using simple/heading mode unless you can fly with out it'; , etc , etc.

you get it in every hobby. We used to get it in paramotoring: ';you can';t possibly learn to fly paramotors unless you learn paragliding first';... even if you have no intentions of every paragliding.

I treat my hobbies a bit more freestyle - do what you like and don';t get restricted by people who tell you different.

I have lots of respect for folk who can fly quads acro for example - but that is not what I am in this hobby for: so I have no desire to, for example, be able to fly a quad LOS in non simple mode: I just don';t fly like that unless I';m FPV - i get no pleasure out it, I find it difficult and I';m doing this for enjoyment!

You might as well tell all americans that they should be able to drive ';stick shift'; before they drive automatic... just in case they need to in the future, and to prove they have ';mastered the skills';.

The argument you here is ';ooo what happens if something breaks and simple mode doesn';t work';: well what an amazing break that would be: somehow the massive computation power of the flight controller is still working (as thats what keeps a quad in the sky - however trick your heli skills are), but that particular line of code doesn';t work.

well in that case. I';d imagine I';d flick the ';RTL mode'; and therefore it is simple one more ';failsafe'; mode that I need to activate more than the trick heli pilot (and one of the most unlikely ones to be required - a dead motor, ESC, broken prop, etc are all far far more likely scenarios... none of which being able to fly a quad backwards with your eyes closed would help with in the slightest).

[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

Biffa

Quote from: powerlord on Monday,June 03, 2013, 00:32:22 I have lots of respect for folk who can fly quads acro for example

This is the result of me flying in acro mode and getting carried away :whistling:

Steve

usnooz

Now you have the fun of a rebuild. Its a no loose situation  ::)
Phill

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia[/url]

nub

that';s part of the learning process though Biffa as u should well know coming from heli';s :laugh:

you';d be giving it a bit more control that just a gear change, it would be controlling your accelerator and steering to, keeping u at the right speed and on the road.

each to their own i suppose though and the main thing is your having fun.

just like i prefer to mix vinyl ;) :laugh:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Biffa

Quote from: usnooz on Monday,June 03, 2013, 09:16:36
Now you have the fun of a rebuild. Its a no loose situation  ::)

Yup, and I do love the building too ~~

Quote from: nub on Monday,June 03, 2013, 09:18:12
that';s part of the learning process though Biffa as u should well know coming from heli';s :laugh:

Ahh I know mate, I just dumb thumbed it trying a flip :rolleyes:

It flys completely different with flashed ESCs and felt really responsive and I never felt the urge to go beyond circuits with it until yesterday. You would think being able to flip and hover helicopters inverted would have eased my nerves some what, but no.
Steve

macspite

Quote from: Biffa on Monday,June 03, 2013, 09:11:09
This is the result of me flying in acro mode and getting carried away :whistling:

That';s one way of making a tricopter  :cry

andycap

Quote from: powerlord on Monday,June 03, 2013, 00:32:22

The argument you here is ';ooo what happens if something breaks and simple mode doesn';t work';: well what an amazing break that would be: somehow the massive computation power of the flight controller is still working (as thats what keeps a quad in the sky - however trick your heli skills are), but that particular line of code doesn';t work.

well in that case. I';d imagine I';d flick the ';RTL mode'; and therefore it is simple one more ';failsafe'; mode that I need to activate more than the trick heli pilot (and one of the most unlikely ones to be required - a dead motor, ESC, broken prop, etc are all far far more likely scenarios... none of which being able to fly a quad backwards with your eyes closed would help with in the slightest).

If your compass fails you could be in that situation.  Copter will still fly without it (under manual control) but will render your simple mode and rtl  useless in some situations.

Use your alt hold and practice with two sticks, as soon as it starts getting away from you then rtl until you are close enough to control it again.

I did come from heli';s but got out of them about 7 years ago and am on a learning curve with the quad now.  I wish i had an apm fitted to my heli';s when I was learning on them.  Would have shortened the learning time by a factor of 10.  I got out of heli';s before I crashed one because I had got pulled into the 3D stuff and really could not afford to crash, so made the decision to sell them whilst they were still whole.  :smiley:

Andy.
Can't find a spanner ? Pass me a hammer !

peter_a

My crash as started me off into a total rebuild , I`ve stripped my multirotor down to bare wires .
Starting with building the arms / legs:
Soldered the ESCs to the motors instead of a plug , made all the leads lengths custom and taped or tie wrapped everything down to the frame.

Everything is going to be a  do over !!!!!
Going to rebalance the props again , and waiting for a better radio Turnigy 9xr Before I start again.
I don`t like my "u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0" can only get 8 stats ( -+ 2 meters ) miles away from everyone in a big field.

Playing with a little UFO quad and not going big scale until I can safely control a super small multirotor.

I think the problem is not acting like a plane, But it is happening a lot faster than a plane not giving you time to react.

guest325

Quote from: peter_a on Thursday,June 06, 2013, 13:33:54
My crash as started me off into a total rebuild , I`ve stripped my multirotor down to bare wires .
Starting with building the arms / legs:
Soldered the ESCs to the motors instead of a plug , made all the leads lengths custom and taped or tie wrapped everything down to the frame.

Everything is going to be a  do over !!!!!
Going to rebalance the props again , and waiting for a better radio Turnigy 9xr Before I start again.
I don`t like my "u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0" can only get 8 stats ( -+ 2 meters ) miles away from everyone in a big field.

Playing with a little UFO quad and not going big scale until I can safely control a super small multirotor.

I think the problem is not acting like a plane, But it is happening a lot faster than a plane not giving you time to react.
Always best when you';re not confident that all is well, hope it all goes well!
Dunno about planes giving you more time to react, try playing with 3D profile foamies and say the same thing, they might be "slow flyers" but when you push it they can easily bite back!