Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 10:02:23

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 21
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

First flight in big feild

Started by peter_a, Friday,May 31, 2013, 13:50:13

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_a

Now I`ve got a little skill of getting my craft under control ( hovering ) so I`ve taken someone';s advice of finding a big field to learn in.
Wow ,  my first flight in a area bigger than a few of meters square !!!!!
Tried a flying forwards and backward and a little fly around ( very limited for now ), hovering at about 3 meters then tried loiter mode which put me panic mode , for it climb to about 15 meters and stopped, switched off loiter mode went to stadlised  mode and it dropped like a brick , so hit the throttle / pitch and did a high speed fly pass landing.

So I need to get to remember the hover point before I switch back to stadlise mode from loiter .
While up there it was slowly rocking ( 1 or 2 per second ) , so I think that the rate P I have a little high .

This will be the start of me getting a little more brave flying , which will mean a big crash soon I guess !!!!

peter_a

Day 2 , not so good .

I was trying to fly it like a plane using yaw and pitch instead of roll and pitch which I use in hovering.
But found that it doesn`t act like a plane , but like a hovercraft does to a car .
You get it to go forward with pitch and start to rotate it left and still goes 100 % forward and a little to the right due to wind, I lost control not knowing which direction it was pointing and like someones video  , it just gets faster and faster in any panic direction until it ( a ) hit the ground or ( b ) I had to crash it to save life`s . ( my own )

It finish up being ( a )

Oh well it was good while it lasted , Time to order my first leg.

robshaw

Oh dear. Maybe order a few legs. Good thing about these things (or at least the dji style frames) when you do crash them its usually only a leg or two and the odd prop. The expensive electrical parts are pretty tough.
Tunrnigy Talon Tri, TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery PRO, Spnky 250 Mini, EZUHF, EZOSD

guest325

Quote from: peter_a on Saturday,June 01, 2013, 15:03:10
Day 2 , not so good .

I was trying to fly it like a plane using yaw and pitch instead of roll and pitch which I use in hovering.
But found that it doesn`t act like a plane , but like a hovercraft does to a car .
You get it to go forward with pitch and start to rotate it left and still goes 100 % forward and a little to the right due to wind, I lost control not knowing which direction it was pointing and like someones video  , it just gets faster and faster in any panic direction until it ( a ) hit the ground or ( b ) I had to crash it to save life`s . ( my own )

It finish up being ( a )

I know the feeling - they don';t fly like a plane do they?  I found this out early on by having a lot of time with my Twister, you need aileron and rudder plus some elevator to get round a turn properly; once it clicks all is good,  very similar to a plane but rudder is crucial (on my planes I rarely use rudder, put a mix in if needs must). The most important thing is to practice the more the better!
I';ve actually found that flying quads has been useful to improve my flying planes, I';m beginning to develop a better method of use of the sticks - might help reduce the number of bin bag jobs :-))

Hands0n

Quote from: peter_a on Saturday,June 01, 2013, 15:03:10
Day 2 , not so good .

Welcome to the club mate  ;)  I just fitted my fourth leg after snapping one from 4ft yesterday  :o  The KK2 has been doing some random stuff, suddenly revved itself silly, the craft start to climb and my, by now, lightning fast reflexes dumped the throttle whereupon the 450 landed on its rear left arm snapping it clean in half. 

Fortunately I ordered a small collection, one white and four blacks left - so I fitted a black, saving the whites for the front of the aircraft.

They';re not expensive, but avoid the ultra-cheap Chinese plastic knock offs. Best are the combination plastic with ABS composition.  I pay around £6.50 a pop.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

guest325

Piece of advice, don';t dump the throttle instead just lower it gently until you';ve got control again;  that';s the classic response of someone who has been used to flying fixed pitch helicopters - you need to get out of it pdq or else you are going to keep on having broken arms etc.

SimonS

The genuine DJI arms are only £4 each in the UK and are far stronger than the knock offs.

peter_a

are all the DJI / clone arms / legs all compatible ?.

This is my frame :- http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_645_661&products_id=20797 

I was going to get a complete new fame just to use it arms / legs for parts .

Hands0n

Quote from: SimonS on Saturday,June 01, 2013, 21:57:57
The genuine DJI arms are only £4 each in the UK and are far stronger than the knock offs.

Where from?  I need a good source  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
--
Danny

Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Hands0n

@DarrellW - I know mate, its helliishly frustrating!  Its just a flipping reflex that I';m getting better at not doing, but its entire practise to get it out of my system.   My flying experience, to date, has been many sundry and very crappy "toy" craft that really have barely any handling capability. I';ve accumulated bad habits from them.  So I';m working on the "controlled descent" like my life, and my craft';s arms, depend on it  ::)

@peter_a - The arms are identical, but I found with one set that the brass screw insets were 3mm instead of the 2mm of the original unit. I had to buy new hex bolts and drill out the top and bottom plates to accommodate the larger bolt.  Otherwise they';re identical.
--
Danny

peter_a

Quoteyou need aileron and rudder plus some elevator to get round a turn properly
I will have to try that , having problems controlling one stick than two at the same time.
( waiting to get a turnigy 9xr , so I can have a HC switch )

but most of the time it was just panic mode with my movement using automatic reflex .

I think my problem may be orientation , two red front legs and all black props and letting it get out of control so easy.

It`s more difficult flying around than just hovering the multirotor when it pointing in the same orientation.
I need to get to the stage when things go wrong I know automatically which control to use without thinking.
also to remember to use smooth movements and not digital full on or full off mode.

guest325

Quote from: peter_a on Saturday,June 01, 2013, 23:29:44
I will have to try that , having problems controlling one stick than two at the same time.
( waiting to get a turnigy 9xr , so I can have a HC switch )

but most of the time it was just panic mode with my movement using automatic reflex .

I think my problem may be orientation , two red front legs and all black props and letting it get out of control so easy.

It`s more difficult flying around than just hovering the multirotor when it pointing in the same orientation.
I need to get to the stage when things go wrong I know automatically which control to use without thinking.
I';m still a bit like that myself, I';m still very much a beginner - only just started seriously trying to fly my 450 quad, done most of the crashing and mishaps with my Twister (much cheaper to fix) but I';m now finding the 450 a bit intimidating. The other thing is that I';m also getting myself ready for taking my fixed wing A test so I have to spread myself out a bit!

nub

its very easy to lose at the field for the 1st time, any time really until u get your orientation and throttle control etc sussed, its takes time try keep the quad close and in control, try hovering in different orientations holding it for a few secs, then move onto flying about :smiley:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

peter_a

A little off point.

it looks like I need a smaller scale multirotor to do some in house crashing before I go large scale again.
So I can pick from the :-

Hubsan X4 Mini Quadcopter  ( micro )
UFO Quadcopter large or mini ( the large being mini and the mini being micro )
or the Perkins Twister Quadcopter ( mini )

I could do with prop rings ? , so I can crash into the walls etc , not sure if the micro palm sized models has the electronic stabilise mode like the bigger Twister etc does.

Any advance on which to get ?

peter_a

I`ve finished up getting a udi u816a ufo .
With a foam body it should to a little harder to break than my 550 multicopter.

Not the most stable quad with the foam body on, but what to you expect something less than the size of the hub plates on the 550. 

After a few batteries of play I can just about get it to hover , I will takes some real hard knocks.
It`s like a homing missile for it`s bigger brother , it`s found it and crashed in to it so many times.