Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 18, 2024, 12:03:57

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Allen/hex sets

Started by Col_M, Monday,May 27, 2013, 20:22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Col_M

Does anyone have recommendations for good metric hex key sets that start from 0.7mm and go to about 5mm?
There doesn';t seem to be much middle ground between generic cheap stuff for a few quid and Wiha ones which are like £35.

The smallest of the ones I currently have is only 1.3mm and still too big for the grub screw on my motors, they also seem to be made from butter as the pic below shows  :thumbdown:

got my macro lens out for that  ~~
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

firey1

your best bet would be a mechanics hardware place
most hex drives sold through hobby places are of soft metal
I ordered a special micro set for doing my helis and stuff was expensive but never rounded one
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

Biffa

I buy individual sizes as with sets you always end up with sizes you don';t need or use.

I buy Bondhus, not the best but certainly good enough for undoing the odd motor grub screw.

http://www.uktools.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=bondhus&x=23&y=13
Steve

Col_M

Good point! probably better and cheaper to get a few good quality individual ones.
However what size heads are the grub screws in motors, the ones that hold the bell housing onto the shaft? my vernier calipers are too big to fit in the hole in the motor to measure the head.

powerlord

I';ve been impressed with the turnigy set I got from hobbyking uk warehouse.

really hard metal. were about 7 quid.

just go to hobbyking.com, uk tab, and tools.

stu
[url="http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69"]http://www.youtube.com/powerlord69[/url]

nub

use drivers keys suck.

its probably 1mm.

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Biffa

Quote from: Col_M on Monday,May 27, 2013, 20:40:09
However what size heads are the grub screws in motors, the ones that hold the bell housing onto the shaft?

Some are 1.5mm but the ones in my new RCtimer motors needed a 1.27mm.
Steve

barneyg

Silly somewhat related question ... 2 of my motors have the slightest bit of vertical (no horizontal play at all) play in the bell housing ... could I get rid of this by loosening off the grub screw, pushing the bell housing down, and then retightening the grub screw? and even if I can am I just better leaving it alone ?

nub

yup i had to do that with one my motors today, need to do one of my DJI motors as well but that seems more like a press fit.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Col_M

Quote from: Biffa on Monday,May 27, 2013, 21:27:21
Some are 1.5mm but the ones in my new RCtimer motors needed a 1.27mm.
Cheers, I actually tried my 1.3mm one and it turns out it does fit so that';s good (sometimes I wonder how I got my degree in mechanical design).

I';ve just ordred Wiha 1.3, 2.0 and 2.5mm hex drivers, they';re made in Germany so should be good.

Quote from: barneyg on Monday,May 27, 2013, 22:14:39
Silly somewhat related question ... 2 of my motors have the slightest bit of vertical (no horizontal play at all) play in the bell housing ... could I get rid of this by loosening off the grub screw, pushing the bell housing down, and then retightening the grub screw? and even if I can am I just better leaving it alone ?
Yeah, this was exactly the problem I had, I just fixed it by loosening the grub screw, pushing the shaft up and holding it there while I tightened the grub screw. The vertical play and funny clicking has completely disappeared now  ~~

AM556

The main problem with ';cheapo'; tools is in the hardening (or lack of it). Why not harden them yourself? I have always made, hardened and tempered my own chisels etc. You don';t need to go for high carbon steel such as EN8 or tool steel, you can introduce enough carbon from used diesel engine oil to do the job if you heat-quench, heat-quench...... The critical part is the final tempering in getting the temperature right.

Col_M

The main reason is that I live in a 3rd floor flat 1 bedroom flat, I don';t have the necessary or tools to harden stuff and don';t want to get it either as I';ll only mean I have more to take back to the UK later this year.
You';re right though, it';s a simple process, I';ve made a torque wrench with parts I';ve case hardened myself in the past but I had access to the tools to do it then.
It';s easier to just buy good hex wrenches instead  :smiley: