Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 17:08:44

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

T-Copter build

Started by Leigh, Monday,May 27, 2013, 00:28:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh

G';day,

I have been slowly collecting parts for a T-copter (simplecopter.com) - Matt Hall has an awesome design for very little $$ and it runs on the very popular and stable KK2.0 with 1.6 firmware.  I built a custom yaw mechanism for it.  Matt has some awesome build and flight videos on Youtube and, of course, I highly recommend you grab one of his frames - they';re an awesome design.

Here';s my first attempt at anything like this: 5mm plywood; 18mm booms; 312mm from motors to center of mass / middle of the KK2.0 board; AUW 900g with battery:

Results of my yaw mechanism tinkering:

T-Copter servo yaw mechanism

It was inspired by EnigmaSoar';s design, although I think the original is much more elegant than my first hack attempt!

After receiving my HobbyKing usbASP in the post last week, I decided to upgrade to the latest KK2.0 1.6 firmware as my board was shipped with 1.2 as standard.  First problem: the HK usbASP seems to have been shipped without any firmware on it - so any machine I connect it to complains that the usb device is not recognised - regardless of OS.   :banghead:

Not wanting to give up that easily, I remembered that I had used my Arduino Uno as an ISP for an AtTiny in a previous project, so I decided to try and see if LazyZero';s kkMulticopter Flashtool could use it as one too - and, after a bit of mucking around, it worked :)

Click on the images for larger pictures and more details on the pinouts.

The KK2.0 ISP pinout reference I used was:

The mess of cables looked like this:

The results speak for themselves:

Hopefully this will help someone along the way.

I did some tinkering in the shed today and, after soldering an XT60 plug onto my power wiring harness, I decided to mount the yaw mechanism and attach the props which I carefully balanced a week or so ago.  The SunnySky 980kv motors I got from eBay were perfectly balanced, so what could go wrong?   :rofl:

First thing that went wrong was that the servo was clearly in a "reverse" position as far as the default settings in the firmware are concerned - so as soon as any throttle was applied, she violently span around like a top.  After a bit of fiddling, I found the mixer settings to allow me to effectively reverse the servo (the radio settings were fine, according to the receiver test).

Next thing that went wrong: I misconfigured the elevator values on the aileron motors, but left the default value on the tail motor.  Next blip of the throttle launched the tricopter head-first into my car';s front bumper (from my garage).  Hmm, time to move outside onto the lawn!   :blink 

Finally got the mixes right (after firmly holding the tricopter down and testing each control surface *properly* (  :crossfingers: ) and got it to hover at about 6" off the ground on my lawn - AWESOME!   :beer2:

I headed off to the park to walk the dog with my wife, Bixler and Tricopter loaded into the back of the car so I could have a fly on the way home (after taking my wife shopping, of course).

We got to the field at around 3.30pm and, after a 5 minute relaxing tear around the skies with my Bix, I popped the tri onto the grass and had a bit of a go at some reasonable height hovering.  I forgot to bring my video camera, so no youtube moments to share unfortunately, but I did manage to get two fantastic 5 minute flights out of my two 2200mAh 3S nanotech';s that were charged up - happy days!  Stabilisation was a bit jittery as the ESC';s are not yet flashed to SimonK - that';s happening tomorrow morning over brunch - sadly the rain is back in Belfast so I won';t be able to fly it again until next weekend - where hopefully the sun will be shining again for our club';s heli day fly-in :-)

Anyway, glad I have found a great forum with lots of people sharing their experience - looking forward to sharing more of mine and perhaps meeting a few fellow multirotor nuts at some point!

Cheers

Leigh
Aussie on the loose in Belfast, NI.
Aussie on the loose in Belfast.

Gaza07

Hi hart and welcome to the forum thats a cracking first post you have made there, I look forward to seeing more of your Tcopter build  :bravo:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

guest325

Great first post, hope to get my a4se into gear and get mine back on track!
I like the yaw mechanism very much, looks like you';ve given me a solution to what I';ve been trying to sort out for a while now - I got close to that idea but it wasn';t as elegant (rather crude by comparison).

Leigh

Cheers for the welcome and great feedback guys - I met a friend for breakfast this morning and he flashed my ESCs with simonk - took mere seconds!  We then headed up to his airfield and, after re-calibrating the ACC and throttle settings, I took her up again!  I forgot to video the main flight, but after landing I had 38% battery left so I grabbed the camera and took it up for another minute ;-)

Simple T-Copter flight after ESC flashing

guest325

Nice to see someone else who flies without the broken L/H stick  :rofl:
Not many of us about flying mode 1 rotary wing!

Leigh

Quote from: DarrellW on Monday,May 27, 2013, 15:21:15
Nice to see someone else who flies without the broken L/H stick  :rofl:
Not many of us about flying mode 1 rotary wing!

Indeed!  I think there';s maybe two others at my club who fly mode 1 heli - old school Futaba too ;-)  That brings back some memories!

To be honest, I do find mode 2 more natural for my mini v959 quad, but for some reason mode 1 feels better for the tricopter.  And of course I learned to fly planes mode 1 when I was a teenager, so that';ll never change.  My brain is clearly a little odd ;-)

Leigh

Some POV flights from my T-Copter at my club';s airfield.  Awesome weather today.  Big thank you to my darling wife of 21 years who put up with me flying on the way to our anniversary dinner!   ~~

T Copter POV flights