Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 20:50:56

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Maiden flight jitters

Started by DarrenG, Friday,May 24, 2013, 10:15:51

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenG

Tell me I';m not the only one who was nervous about the first flight!

After the slight hiccup with the ground test (inverted pitch) which has now been resolved, I';m nervous at the prospect of a maiden flight. Spent so much time, and money'; building this thing that I';d hate for it to end up in a pile of broken bits on the first go.

Weather is against me today, hissing down here, but as soon as it clears I';m going to take it to a local field and put her in the air. Might even tether it to a house brick for the first few launches!
[b]Darren Griffin[/b]
@DarrenGriffin, @TheMacFixer & @PocketGPSWorld
Sky-Hero Little Spyder with Naza V2, Arducopter Quad with Pixhawk and Emax 250 with Naze32

Riggsbie

I think it is a common feeling....

I am always apprehensive for the first 30 seconds and soon calm down, I know what damage a quad/hex can do so I am always on the conservative side and won';t fly anywhere near people....or if the wind is a bit too strong or gusty....

By the end of battery number 2 you';ll be confident and you will enjoy yourself and relax !

Just take it easy and try to chill out and not be too tense on the controls, small steady control inputs !

Don';t try much more than a good steady hover, fly simple circuits.....when you feel more confident then you can give it some more ;)

Have fun !

firey1

i was more nervous with planes as helis and quads you can keep close to you
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

rickp

Personally, I';ve always held it down lightly by hand whilst trying to hover in stab mode, so I';m reasonably sure it';l fly nicely come the maiden flight... Usually tune rate p at the same time (until it stops the fast oscillation).

Takes a lot of the nerves away...

Biffa

I';m always nervous with a maiden, unless it';s a foamy, helicopters were especially nail biting :frantic:
Steve

nub

me too i always get nervous and usually its for nothing as things normally go quite smoothly, as long as u check everything and then double check it, it should go fine lol :smiley:

Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

robshaw

Yep I get nervous on most flights tbh. I always keep my hand on top when arming for a few seconds.

Wouldn';t chance it if the weather is nothing but perfect tho. I stacked mine into a 2 foot deep bog on a less than perfect day for weather. Was a catalogue of errors on my behalf but I blame the weather making me rush things. Ha.
Tunrnigy Talon Tri, TBS Discovery, TBS Discovery PRO, Spnky 250 Mini, EZUHF, EZOSD

usnooz

Quote from: Biffa on Friday,May 24, 2013, 11:12:58
I';m always nervous with a maiden, unless it';s a foamy, helicopters were especially nail biting :frantic:

Yeah Helis got my nerves up. Fine on the sim but flying for real got the heart pumping. Panic = crash
Phill

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia"]http://www.facebook.com/#!/MySkyMedia[/url]

FlyinMarty

I started with helis, when they get close to you it';s very scary. Over a meter of blades spinning at high speed on a model that is naturally very unstable...makes you very twitchy.

Have had a couple of hard landings doing a bit of damage so lost my Mojo...still want to fly them, but trying quads for a bit whilst I re-set.
Blade Nano QX
Immersion Vortex 285
 Blade mCPx Heli

Biffa

I started with helicopters back in 2004 but I found after going FBL and all the tinkering and repairs I just didn';t enjoy it as much as I used too.

I just recently sold off my last 450 size and I am left with a Blade mCPX to hack about. After flying multi';s and planks, being able to relax while flying is a big part of the hobby for me now and I cannot see me going back to helicopters any time soon, ever in fact.

Plus with multi rotors you have all the different set ups, FPV, way points etc etc helicopters are just, erm, boring :rolleyes:
Steve

fruitsalad

gave up helis about a year ago,spent most time repairing and waiting for parts. :banghead:
i remember my first flight kangaroo hopping around,nerves going like a good un..
been at quads 6 months,much more fun and less expensive on the hobby funds...
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

Biffa

Quote from: fruitsalad on Friday,May 24, 2013, 18:55:25
gave up helis about a year ago,spent most time repairing and waiting for parts. :banghead:

That';s what got me in the end. You make a bad landing with a plank or a quad, it';s props and some glue. Have a bad landing with a helicopter and it';s main shaft, feathering shaft, gears, blades...on and on, then you have to ponse about setting it all up again.

I';m glad I cut my teeth on them and learned what I have, but I am just as glad to have moved on.
Steve

guest325

Quote from: Biffa on Friday,May 24, 2013, 19:04:49
That';s what got me in the end. You make a bad landing with a plank or a quad, it';s props and some glue. Have a bad landing with a helicopter and it';s main shaft, feathering shaft, gears, blades...on and on, then you have to ponse about setting it all up again.

I';m glad I cut my teeth on them and learned what I have, but I am just as glad to have moved on.
+1, often wished I';d never heard of the bl@@dy things!  Could never enjoy trying to fly them, so glad I didn';t give up RC all together - I now enjoy flying gliders, 3D foamies, quads and home made stuff.
Do I get nervous about maidens - you bet I do, it';s a good test of how good your building and setting up is!

FlyinMarty

I';m not giving up with the Heli';s just yet, but they are very stressful to fly one small mistake and it';s a hundred quid, or more, down the drain.
Blade Nano QX
Immersion Vortex 285
 Blade mCPx Heli

firey1

my next project is putting an apm 2.5 on my 600 huey try and see if it will fly like a quad for stability and auto
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

DarrenG

Took her out and completed her maiden flight. Was a little nervous and it was all over the place but she flies!

Was brought to a premature end by a bounce on landing that tipped her over and caught a prop which snapped.  Cheapo £3 props from fleabay.

Popped home, re-charged the battery and fitted some APC props then went back for another go. Much better second time around.  Was able to control her OK, can hold position and put her down in the same spot each time. All in stabilise mode of course.

Flew it until the low battery alarm gizmo bleeped. Set conservatively for now to protect my only battery, a 4S 4000mAh Turnigy Nano-Tech. Got a couple more on order and next flight I';ll time how long I get.

Now have a grin from ear to ear and can';t wait to have another go.

The video below is from the first flight, didn';t film the second. Apols for the framing, was on my own and camera was on a tripod so keeping it in view wasn';t happening!

http://youtu.be/l01QNFriqjQ
[b]Darren Griffin[/b]
Sky-Hero Little Spyder with Naza V2, Arducopter Quad with Pixhawk and Emax 250 with Naze32

Gaza07

Looking good Darren I know how it feels when you maiden one and it works well done  :bravo:
As for the camera get a head strap they are very good although you do look a bit of a plonker where ever your looking your videoing  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

DarrenG

Quote from: Gaza07 on Saturday,May 25, 2013, 18:04:27
Looking good Darren I know how it feels when you maiden one and it works well done  :bravo:
As for the camera get a head strap they are very good although you do look a bit of a plonker where ever your looking your videoing  ~~
Ah I have one of them, might try the chest rig I have, not quite as daft looking :D
[b]Darren Griffin[/b]