Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 21:31:13

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

wire breakage

Started by simhatus, Monday,May 20, 2013, 23:41:37

Previous topic - Next topic

simhatus

Hi

Had a problem with my quad one of the motor wires broke just behind where it comes out of the bullet connector. my quad flipped twice before landing the right way up without damage.

This is of course no problem to repair, although i';m slightly concerned that there are 23 similar joints that may fail.

Has anyone else experienced this type of failure and what should i do to prevent this happening?

The props are balanced and the connections tie wrapped, although as i';m typing this it occurs that a piece of foam between the arm and the bullet connectors may be a good idea.

Simon

Biffa

A join of any sort will be a weak link in any power system.

I have never had a bullet connector fail or a wire snap like that so maybe you had a manufacturing defect or that wire was previously stressed at that point?

The only real way to eliminate failures is to remove the points that can fail, like solder direct from ESC to motor. Bit of a pain as stripping down afterwards is more involved but maybe worth doing for peace of mind. I will certainly be doing this on my FPV build.
Steve

SimonS

What motors do you have?  DJI are known for their crap soldering on the  bullets.

simhatus

Hi

The solder joint didn';t fail the wire did and i put the bullet connectors on anyway. The motors are rc timer.

They may have been stressed a bit as the quad has met the ground more rapidly than it should a few times, but whilst learning to fly one thats likely to happen. I';m Thinking you may be right biffa to solder it direct although that does make repairs more difficult.

simon

fruitsalad

what i do is,remove an inch of the sleeving carefully(reuse it later) flow solder down length of exposed wire,replace sleeving(fiddly but doable),cover with heatshrink,dont shrink it down yet,solder on the bullets,then shrink the heatshrink down.
no more snapping of wires behind the bullets.. ~~
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

simhatus

Hi

so your heat shrink is quite long and goes beyond the tinned part?

Simon

fruitsalad

yes the heatshrink i use goes from back of bullet to over the part you removed to solder
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

simhatus

Hi

I';ll try that then, thanks.

Simon

simhatus

Hi

Was going to use fruit salads method which i';m suere would be fine, when i noticed the wires from my hexcopter which has the same motors just with the longer lead has a multi strand silicon wire which at some point it must change to from the 3 strands of copper wire that come off the motor.

As i had cut the hexcopter wires down and put different bullet connectors on i still had the remaining wire with the origonal bullet connectors so used the last inch or so of those and attached to the shortened quadcopter motor leads.

Simon