Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 05:31:10

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Motor maintenance....

Started by Riggsbie, Wednesday,May 08, 2013, 09:04:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggsbie

Team,

Can anyone suggest some kind of maintenance regime (checks/lubrication/free play) for motors ?

I merrily fly my quad and hex but have not checked my motors from day1.... My 3D Robotics Hex motors do not sound real brilliant from new :-(

Any tips would be appreciated !

Thanks

paul82

Good question. :D

I was wondering whether the motors needed any maintenance.

Will keep an eye on the thread

Biffa

Most motors will have sealed bearings so are pretty much maintenance free, although wicking a little light oil into them wouldn';t hurt I guess if you feel the need to.

I have just had to source bearings for the motor in my HK Radjet as the rear one has gone so they do sometimes fail so it';s always worth just keeping an eye out for any play or funny noises.

Steve

guest325

I give mine a squirt of PTFE spray regularly and check for bearing float and noise - doesn';t do any harm does it?

AM556

Just as a matter of interest, PTFE is the only substance a Gecko can';t climb  ~~

Gav

Interesting.  Might need that snippet of info one day in a quiz or something ;D

Droplet of thin oil go on my motor bearings every now n again. 

Royston

After watching Peter King vid on installing APM from start to finish he mentions regularly lubricating the motors with "Silicone Spray" from Halfords. The only silicone spray I could find had no mention of electrics but was all amounts lubricating rubbers etc.
Any ideas??
Roy

mutley2

As a rule brushless motors are maintenance free, I';ve a 10yr old Hornet heli and its never had any form of motor maintenance and still runs sweet (gave up counting flights over 100, and that was 9yrs ago). If it aint broke, don';t fix it...

Royston

guest325

Silicon spray isn';t a lubricant, but it does protect from water or moisture ingress. I use PTFE because it does both, however you need to make sure you wipe the excess off or it becomes a dirt and dust magnet!

bunnygirl80

This post has presented itself at a good time. I was flying in a very dusty place yesterday and my quad now has a light dusting! Euck! I';m worried it';s gone into the motors and I was thinking of spraying (cleaning out) the motors with a long blast of WD40. Would this be okay? or needed?

Thanks.
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

steve fh

how about using the cans of compress air you can buy for cleaning computers to blow muck out ?
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

[url="//www.capturedmotion.co.uk"]www.capturedmotion.co.uk[/url]

bunnygirl80

Hi Steve,

I';ve already tried that but the dirt is stuck on. I have the air blaster for cleaning my keyboard, but it';s not working on any of the dust! Eeeeck! What do i do?

Thxx.
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

Balders

I always worry about washing more dust in to the bearings.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

bunnygirl80

Quote from: Balders on Sunday,September 01, 2013, 09:13:25
I always worry about washing more dust in to the bearings.

I knida thought a really nice long blast of WD40 would clean everything out. What do you think Steve?

Hands0n

WD40 will leave a residue that is attractive to dust and may cause more problems than it solves in this instance. You could consider flushing with contact cleaner or methylated spirit, but should try to avoid the motor';s bearing, or oil the bearing when dry again.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Royston

OK sorry I joined in this one.

I do, I don';t, I should, I shouldnt. More confused than ever now?  :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Back to original question.The only silicone spray I could find had no mention of electrics but was all amounts lubricating rubbers etc. Is this still OK to use on the motors or will it have any adverse effect??

Regards
Roy

barneyg

Quote from: bunnygirl80 on Sunday,September 01, 2013, 09:15:25
I knida thought a really nice long blast of WD40 would clean everything out. What do you think Steve?

WD40 is NOT a proper lubricant !!!!  It is primarily a penetrant ... it has a very high volatility ... a very light machine oil is far better for lubricating ... that said if you want to loosen up some seized nuts wd40 is excellent :)

kilby

Considering the WD in WD40 means Water Dispersant.

You know all yhose squeaking hinges that maintance departments squirt with wd40, funny how they squeek even worse a few weeks later.

Unless something has gotten wet or something is stuck, avoid wd40 and even then theres usually a better choice
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

bunnygirl80

OK, kewl. I';ll leave the WD in Pete';s toolbox for the squeaky doors!  ::)

guest325

Quote from: bunnygirl80 on Sunday,September 01, 2013, 09:15:25
As long as you are careful not to get any carp go into the motor it will be ok, and make sure you dry it out thoroughly when you';re happy it';s clean. If you';ve got any doubt about making sure non of the dirt goes in you';re better off stripping the motor down and cleaning it properly.

Biffa

IMO WD40 would be the last thing I would have inside my motor and as pointed out it isn';t even a lube, that is a very common misconception.

As stated most motor bearings are sealed so unless really poorly made or cheap there should be no need to lubricate them. If you really felt the need then some light oil or even better PTFE spray.
Steve

fruitsalad

clean them in lighter fuel,
then use some rocket fuel(for fishing reels not actual rocket fuel!!) to lube them
dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

XH558

Quote from: DarrellW on Sunday,September 01, 2013, 15:07:54
As long as you are careful not to get any carp go into the motor it will be ok, and make sure you dry it out thoroughly when you';re happy it';s clean. If you';ve got any doubt about making sure non of the dirt goes in you';re better off stripping the motor down and cleaning it properly.
I am always very careful not to get carp in my motors ... it';s very smelly .. almost like fish  :rolleyes: :azn
David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

guest325

Quote from: XH558 on Sunday,September 01, 2013, 22:51:47
I am always very careful not to get carp in my motors ... it';s very smelly .. almost like fish  :rolleyes: :azn
Wrong spelling was intentional - I prefer not to use profanities on a forum  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

kilby

I thought you where telling us not to put goldfish into our motors
Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

Hands0n

Quote from: kilby on Monday,September 02, 2013, 10:41:44
I thought you where telling us not to put goldfish into our motors

Awww ... too late! I tried putting one in my Hubsan as an upgrade. It didn';t scale well  :rofl: :nananana:
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

KeithW

Quote from: Hands0n on Monday,September 02, 2013, 10:47:05
Awww ... too late! I tried putting one in my Hubsan as an upgrade. It didn';t scale well  :rofl: :nananana:
Ok you guys so whats the definitive answer then....what light oil,do you use.Silicon grease  KY ?

guest325

Quote from: KeithW on Saturday,September 28, 2013, 11:19:42
Ok you guys so whats the definitive answer then....what light oil,do you use.Silicon grease  KY ?
If you are going to use anything then PTFE spray is best - it must be left to dry and any excess cleaned off or it will attract dust.