Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 15:58:51

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 30
Total: 31

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Frsky r9mm receiver

Started by steveo9007, Saturday,April 20, 2019, 18:18:15

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo9007

In my quad build i am going to be putting in a R9MM receiver which will bind to my Taranis QX7S with the R9 module installed, to give me long range. I have the instructions to hand but i am still confused to where i should be soldering wires to on my FC which is a Foxeer F405 AIO board.

This is the pin out diagram of the R9mm. So if i am correct the S.port/F.port will go to the S.Port pad on the FC, GND and V-In are obvious, do i need then to connect the inverted S.Port pin to the Uart on my FC. All the stuff i am reading is getting me confused to what goes where. Below is my pin layout for FC.

Hopefully someone can give me an idea of where to solder. Cheers guys and Gals
Hubsan H501SS x2, H123D x4 Jet
Tyro 99, Tero Q215mm, Taranis QX7S with R9M, Fatshark Dominator HD3 Goggles, Own built 5" Quad

ched

I know nothing about FrSky stuff but looking at the diagram you posted you need to connect both SBus Out and S.Port/F.Port to the fc. I believe that sbus is transmitter commands (Sticks and switches) and S.Port is telemetry back to your transmitter. Hence they are connected to FC uart tx and rx.
DOUBLE CHECK THE SOURCE OF YOUR DIAGRAM before wiring things up. If the diagram is from a reliable source then you should be OK.
I try :-)

steveo9007

So Sbus out and not inverted S Port, when ever i see something that is labelled out, means to me it comes from that place, so am i right in saying the stick commands go to receiver and get sent out from the SBus Out pin to the FC ???
Tyro 99, Tero Q215mm, Taranis QX7S with R9M, Fatshark Dominator HD3 Goggles, Own built 5" Quad

Sweet Pickle

Your S.Port / F.Port wire should go to T4.
You do not need any other wires with F/Port.
With F.Port you get telemetry and inputs over the same wire. Tiny bit of additional lag but imperceptible to mortals.
Make sure you flash TX / RX with compatible firmware.

steveo9007

Quote from: Sweet Pickle on Saturday,April 20, 2019, 21:17:16 Your S.Port / F.Port wire should go to T4.
You do not need any other wires with F/Port.
With F.Port you get telemetry and inputs over the same wire. Tiny bit of additional lag but imperceptible to mortals.
Make sure you flash TX / RX with compatible firmware.

so i only need s.port/f.port, gnd and v-in wires connected..and tx /rx is my controller yes..i have the new taranis QX7S with R9 module will this still need flashing it has open tx ver 2.2.2 on it..??

Sweet Pickle

I think if you are going to run flex firmware you need to flash 2.2.3 When you flash the Taranis remember to tick the box that says something like unofficial firmware (because flex requires it).
And yes, you only need Voltage ground and F.Port wires.
You will also have to do some CLI stuff to get it running over F.Port.
https://oscarliang.com/setup-frsky-fport/

steveo9007

Quote from: Sweet Pickle on Saturday,April 20, 2019, 21:50:20 I think if you are going to run flex firmware you need to flash 2.2.3 When you flash the Taranis remember to tick the box that says something like unofficial firmware (because flex requires it).
And yes, you only need Voltage ground and F.Port wires.
You will also have to do some CLI stuff to get it running over F.Port.
https://oscarliang.com/setup-frsky-fport/

Ok in my readings on the web about this, I read it as that. Just needed it confirming by you guys. Thanks for the info and that website you mentioned I go to that a lot for it's a very good read. Only had a few moments on the taranis so still finding my way. Wanting the build on the quad to go first then will configure the qx7s. But thank you for the info.

Sweet Pickle

You're welcome.
Best of luck with the build.

steveo9007

question guys,

Im having problems binding my Taranis QX7s with my R9mm, i have connected up the F-port/S-port, And,V-in to my FC using the correct connections, but its not binding correctly. I haven't flashed it yet so was wondering that flashing it to the correct firmware showing on Frsky website would make it work correctly through the Sport connection.

Hoping someone with this knowledge can help as its the last part that i need to do with my quad build, sorry but i am new to the Frsky setup using R9 equipment.

My Taranis and R9 module are all ready flashed to the vastest firmware. that being Open TX 2.2.3

Thanks in advance

Bad Raven

There are two aspects to FrSky firmware. There is the the operating system/graphical user interface part, and there is the Radio Frequency part. They are separate things that work together.

FrOS or OpenTX is the former, the OS/GUI part. The second part is the RF firmware which is located in the Tx and the Rx. The Rx does not care what OS/GUI it faces!

Sometimes FrSky update the OS but not the RF part, sometimes both.

For the Tx to communicate to the Rx the RF firmwares, also known as IXJT for the Tx, must match and again, this inherently has nothing to do with the version of OpenTX.  In the Horus X12S the IXJT is a separate PCB!

Going back into history FrSky needed to retain ownership and issue control of their critical intellectual property, so OpenTX versions did not contain IXJT, therefore to update IXJT you had to revert to FrOS by update including the IXJT, then change the OS back to OpenTX.

I don't use anyone's long range gear, no point when the std system works perfectly and it is illegal to fly beyond LOS of yourself or spotter if FPV, so cannot speak for how the R9 system affects the above process, if at all.

steveo9007

Ok thanks, I not planning long range flying but am wanting a better signal being recieved so not to get any dropouts if I do ever exceed my range when out flying. Bit of a safety thing for me for now.