Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 12:51:02

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 23
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 26
Total: 27

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Home file server - cloud - RaspberryPi?

Started by ched, Thursday,February 07, 2019, 20:35:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ched

My old trusty NAS server (eTrayZ) disc has died and the nas is about 10 years old so there is probably better things out there?

Basically I would like to auto backup a couple of directories on my win7 PC, maybe replicate dropbox from Laptop (Win7) and mobile (Android).

I have a couple of usb hard drives and a RaspberryPi B+ kicking about which would be nice to use?

So can anyone recommend any software (OS + applications) that might do the job?

Cheers.
I try :-)

Two-Six

Your starter for 10
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-build-raspberry-pi-powered-nas
https://eltechs.com/raspberry-pi-nas-guide/
https://www.techradar.com/uk/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-raspberry-pi-nas-1315968

I have a Rasberry pie doing nothing here and a pile of disks that need gainful employment, I might give it a go.  :hmm:

If you didn't manage to get your data from that old NAS box, Linux will be able to read those partitions so you can get your stuff back.
Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

atomiclama

Oh FFS something else to read up on and try out  :rolleyes:  ::)
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

ched

Cheers. There do seem to be quite a few guides out there. I am going to have a play this afternoon and see what I can get working!
As for old data, it's a bit weird. The internal disc I can't access, but the externally connected usb drive I have access to. I also can't access the web interface. So some bits of it work others not. I will pull the HD and see if the Rpi can read it.

Cheers. I will let you know how I get on.

ched

So after looking at lots of guides and realising that my old RPi were older than I thought (Rpi B with 900mhz and 512Mb), I decided to try dietpi and nextcloud.
Dietpi is a cut down distro that also has easy optimised software that just requires a click to instal. So installed dietpi on 4Gb SD card and that went fine. Booted rpi and the installation went fine. Then you eventually get a menu to install optimised software, I selected NextCloud (OpenCould available) and that too went fine, rebooted and tried to login. No NextCloud was having none of it, eventually found the default username and password on an install via dietpi was not defaults but admin and dietpi. I would never guessed that!!
So now logged in via ri ip address /nextcloud/  and logged in correctly. All fine, created additional user account and installed win7 client. All works fine.
Only problem is that it is painfully slow!!! So maybe going to have to rethink this one.....

ched

So I thought I would do a bit more in depth fault finding on my eTrayZ nas. I found I could ssh into it  ~~
So did a bit of checking and it seemed that a xsf partition was a bit iffy. So I tried xsf_repair with -L switch and after about 30mins it found an error and deleted it!!
Rebooted and it's working again. Well mostly, some of the extra apps like MediaTomb and MySQl don't seem to be working but I don't really use them anymore.

So looks like eTrayZ is alive again. So I will make 100% sure I have an alternative backup and it's all upto date in case it dies again.

Cheers.