User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • VaNDAL_UK: ANyone FPV onver Sutton Park Birmingham?
    December 07, 2018, 12:54:30
  • steveo9007: Cheers Atom was just a thought for now as I plan on keeping it well in range until I get comfortable with controls and flying
    December 05, 2018, 21:01:25
  • atomiclama: steveo You can just plug a GPS puck into the FC and get the OSB to display the coords, record the VTX and when things go tits up you have the last known posistion. Whislt not accurate it is a good starting point. Or get the coords sent back by telemetry to you TX which will be more accurate as long as power is maintained to the quad and it is range with the TX. Just some thoughts.
    December 04, 2018, 12:27:26
  • steveo9007: Is there a post on here about the 433mhz telem tx ??
    December 04, 2018, 07:56:49
  • steveo9007: ok thanks shaw
    December 03, 2018, 20:31:44
  • shawdreamer: meanwhile the 433mhz telem option I mentioned gives you live fixes in realtime and not "delayed texts"..... plus it doesnt cost you credit everytime you request a gps fix (btw the tags sim card also needs to have credit on it :laugh:)
    December 02, 2018, 20:47:10
  • shawdreamer: and yes that does actually work..... I tried it for a laugh a couple of years ago ::)
    December 02, 2018, 20:45:09
  • shawdreamer: the tags do as you say use satellites to get positional fixes but they dont immediately report those fixes to an App, each tag requires a Sim card (same as your phone) which is used to "text" you the tags position..... in other words you could get the exact same effect by strapping a old smartphone to your frame with the google "where is my device" app installed
    December 02, 2018, 20:44:13
  • steveo9007: doesnt the tag communicate with the satellites and not via a data system, isn't it the user who owns the tag go via data to the app that can locate the tag ???
    December 02, 2018, 18:18:11
  • shawdreamer: plus, alot of the lower end trackers struggle with GPRS and often rely heavily on GSM data instead which is just not worth a sh1te when it comes to pinpointing a downed frame
    December 02, 2018, 16:23:30
  • shawdreamer: most readily available gps trackers are not really suitable for anything smaller than a 400 sized frame as the units themselves are often too bulky for anything smaller and larger frames often already have their own gps setups that can simply be outfitted with a 433mhz telem tx that would report live and accurate info direct to a ground station so there'd be no point in a sms type tracker
    December 02, 2018, 16:22:07
  • steveo9007: anybody fitted a GPS tracker tag to their drones if it gets lost and is need to find it
    December 02, 2018, 14:56:36
  • Gav: yeah too much of a hike for me too.  was tempted with the bike show the other week but TBH its not worth it - no bargains anymore and rip off parking
    November 29, 2018, 20:11:21
  • Bad Raven: Too far for me.
    November 29, 2018, 08:27:36
  • hoverfly: Sunday drone show , N.E.C.  anybody   going.??
    November 28, 2018, 18:36:04
  • Bajadre: Congrats DB brother  !!!
    November 25, 2018, 03:09:56
  • hoverfly: I wish i haden't eaten a whole ham and egg pie........ pass the Rennies.. :cry
    November 21, 2018, 17:23:37
  • ched999uk: Don't yo just hate those days where you wish you never got up!!!!!!
    November 21, 2018, 15:46:06
  • Reman: Isn't it a spooky coincidense how seconds before banggood have a sale nearly all the prices of the on sale items go up, But the discount drops the price back to the pre sale prices?
    November 21, 2018, 05:46:29
  • DarkButterfly: Certainly hard work but well worth it ::)
    November 19, 2018, 22:19:02

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Waterproofing - Conformal Coating?  (Read 259 times)

Offline ched999uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 651
Waterproofing - Conformal Coating?
« on: November 28, 2018, 23:43:55 »
With winter here and the ground being so wet I am concerned about coming down in wet grass and shorting things out.

Years ago way back when I was an apprentice we used to laquer our pcbs after cleaning with some iffy carcinogenic called genclean  ::) The lacquer was not easy to remove when rework was needed.

So back in the 21st century, it looks like the way to waterproof pcbs is something called Conformal Coating.
The problem is that there seem many variations See: https://amzn.to/2DRCVv9.

It looks like brush on is best as the spray on might get into usb connector!!

So what is best Silicone, Acrylic, or Urethane types?
I also read a few people trying nail varnish!!! Is that a conductor or does it insulate as well as waterproof? Not that I have any  :laugh:

Any ideas whats best to protect, FC, ESC, VTX, RX etc?
Cheers.

Offline Cheredanine

• Liked: 1377
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: Waterproofing - Conformal Coating?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 23:51:52 »
Silicon, using a brush, not a spray and be very careful around the fpv cam,
It electrically isolates, so best applied after soldering or you need to remove before soldering
Also take a look and josh bardwells latest vid for an alternatice

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 23:59:15 »
Cheers mate. It was Joshs vid that prompted me to look into it.
I was a little concerned about him saying conformal coating was an insulator but the shake and bake wasn't!! Surely it has to be an insulator otherwise it will cause shorts between solder pads/connections???
I get he was saying not to use conformal on connectors for obvious reasons  ::)

Silicone sounds safest and perfect for after all soldered up, just need to avoid camera sensor, usb, and baro sensor!!

Cheers.

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 804
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:35:21 »
This is the stuff I use: -

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conformal-coatings/0535525/

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conformal-coatings/3217324/

Acrylic for PCB and silicone if it needs to be a bit flexible.
As to soldering the acrylic one burns off ok with the soldering iron, bit of a clean with IPA and it's good to go.

I learnt the baro thing the hard way  :rolleyes: but it cleaned out ok with a pin. I stick a bit of bluetack of the baro now.

I coat everything I can, let it dry and then give it another coat just to be sure.

No more dodgy stuff in wet grass.

Get coating.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 642
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 09:30:36 »
Thanks!  Ordered. Came on here to do a check to find a current set of posts!!  :beer2:

I ruined a brushless Aurora 90 last year on wet grass cuttings on edge of flying patch, battery died early. Another foot travel and all would have been OK.     :rolleyes:

I turned it off immediately and dried it out over several days, but on connecting a battery the motors went full throttle (which is why you remove the props) and I'm unable to get back into the FC. It was one of two so languishes as a "spare parts" source.

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 811
    • The Tracker
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:58:30 »
I had a bottle of silicone conformal coating in my basket at Farnell for a while. Opted against it 'cos I figured that if it's wet enough to need it I don't want to be out in it...

BUT: Wet grass, dew, mist, fog, sloppy cow poo...  kinda sells it for me. Besides, it's a good thing to do in the warm and cosy over Christmas.

Probably gonna grab some in my next order. Just £3.63 for a small 15ml bottle.

https://uk.farnell.com/electrolube/efsc15ml/conformal-silicone-coating/dp/1616573?st=conformal%20coating
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AndySevern7

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:26:55 »
Looks like Farnell also do a 55ml one for just under £10. This one has uv dye so with a uv lamp you can see if you missed any bits!!!
https://uk.farnell.com/mg-chemicals/422b-55ml/chemical-coating-55ml/dp/2889755?st=conformal%20coating
Its on back order but stock due in soon and I do believe their dates unlike Banggood!!!!

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 811
    • The Tracker
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:31:40 »
Yeah, farnell are super-professional. I use them for all my component orders. Stuff usually arrives next day. Sometimes they split a shipment and I get the odd part from Europe +1 day.

Ferric Chloride was cheaper on Amazon Prime when I wanted to order just that due to free shipping, though the APE that delivered it ran off before I could get to the door and left the bottle of highly corrosive liquid UNDER THE WHEEL OF MY CAR!!! (Farnell wins every time for not destroying your property).  :laugh:
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AndySevern7

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 11:53:53 »
Many years ago when 'working in the trade' I always prefered Farnell over RS. I have also used CPC Farnell for Raspberry PI bits and bobs like led floodlights etc. They are very like Maplins in the early days before they went into the toy market! CPC also have free delivery at over £5 I think, but they don't have the paint on Conformal coating
Cheers for the Farnell lead.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 17:52:15 »
Just ordered a 55ml bottle of silicone conformal coating from farnell £14.29 delivered. Should enable me to do loads of pcbs :)
Might get a UV torch to check it's all done correctly.

Cheers

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 12:07:28 »
I ordered one 15ml bottle of each of two types from RS. AFAIK one is simply thinner.  (the bottle size is Tipp-Ex size, tiny)

Got notified of failed delivery yesterday, so off to PO (in rain!) this morning.  Relatively HHHHHUUUGGGGGGEEEE box from RS via ParcelForce, 1 of 1.  Free Postage to me so their funeral but I'd bought small to test and such that it would have gone through letter box!

Back home one tiny bottle lurking in a corner of said "lorry container" box, loosely packed with screwed up brown paper.  :rolleyes:

But............ ONE??   :confused:

Order printout taken at time confirms one of each type in accepted order, both shown stock.

Online Account NOW shows only one type, but both types in stock (over 170 each)

Contact RS, they have no idea why, but say one has been withheld, please ring back Monday afternoon when we will have found out why from person doing that bit!

After phone down thought I'd look at Parcel Tracking. Their website Parcel Tracking, unlike my account section, shows both items, one delivered (true) the other "Order Processing".

SO, I checked with CCard account.

I have not been charged for two, only the one delivered.....(delivery note as usual not showing prices).......... Except the amount ACTUALLY charged is higher than the item received (inc VAT), but lower than for both!

:banghead:   :angry:   :thumbdown: 

Monday it'll be .........   :slap: time.

Pays to always check CCard payments, Eh?

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 12:18:41 »
I noticed that on Farnells page for the silicone one it said something about hazardous material and might take slightly longer to process!!!
What ever the reason they can't charge you a different amount for the order as you had not agreed to pay an amount different to the total on checkout. I bet they will tweek the cost of the second one to make the total correct.

Farnell dont actually have the 55ml silicone in stock but they expect them next week. So should be fine unlike Banggood who said my Mobula7 would be dispatched 25th nov after ordering on 2nd. Now it might be dispatched 30th dec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So no xmas pressie for me. :angry:

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 12:33:00 »
I noticed that on Farnells page for the silicone one it said something about hazardous material and might take slightly longer to process!!!

It is a Silicone one that's arrived!   :shrug:

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 18:03:48 »
This thread prompted me to go back to the part stripped "wet failure" quad.

It had lost connection on USB and had a corrupted firmware. Where I am with it now with some wrestling to get it reloaded, it all works, internal controls function, RX binds and drives receiver bars, etc, etc, etc....................except the setup screen model quad won't move and in CLI it reports gyro=0.

Spare Halo F3 boards of that type are only £17.50 and have the improvement that the USB is now remote fly lead located, which was an absolute pain with the Aurora 90 as the USB socket aligned with near impractical to remove frame parts.

The FC is stacked with a three way and a two way strap to the Rx/Buzzer board unfortunately, and while the paired stack is available it is IMO too much money, so they will be cut and strapped by wiring with the spare tucked between layers.

AND.................Do you think its getting repaired without coating it ???   :evil