User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: MB - ??
    August 18, 2018, 16:32:23
  • Mike Bagnall: My taranis must be wrong or broken it's brand new
    August 18, 2018, 14:13:47
  • Reman: Weather's way too ropey to go flying near Bristol today, But it's not too wet to go wading through a muddy field to walk my Labrador though........ Damn it ! LOL !
    August 12, 2018, 11:17:55
  • Bad Raven: They flew quads and planes
    August 10, 2018, 12:59:11
  • Bad Raven: Took some boys flying, they got an hour and a half before the wetness loomed.
    August 10, 2018, 12:58:53
  • mo_miah: lots of rain yesterday with some localised flooding, some more rain today, quads broken anyway so no flying for me, need a new frame :(
    August 10, 2018, 10:06:02
  • hoverfly: Spoke to soon there is some strange wet stuff falling from the sky. and my runner beans are making slurping noises..... ::)
    August 10, 2018, 09:30:31
  • Bad Raven: Bring a sponge.......
    August 10, 2018, 06:07:43
  • hoverfly: Not a drop  here the garden is like a desert..
    August 09, 2018, 21:57:22
  • Bad Raven: BIG thunderstorm with lots of cloud to cloud red and the occasional very close ground strikes.
    August 09, 2018, 21:12:51
  • Clarkie 22: Bad Crash and a poorly rotor arm :/
    August 06, 2018, 18:31:53
  • Bad Raven: The screamer alarm went off, usually early warning, but nit this time, didn't make it back to patch.
    August 06, 2018, 17:35:29
  • Bad Raven: Think I ran this pack a little close, just had to put 2359 into a 2200 pack. OOPS!
    August 06, 2018, 17:33:21
  • Bad Raven: I think nthere's agreat similarity, both talentless and over hyped.
    August 06, 2018, 14:21:58
  • Bajadre: @ Reman yeah matey haha
    August 06, 2018, 14:18:59
  • shawdreamer: keep that up and the only thing you'll "get" is commited.
    August 06, 2018, 13:48:17
  • hoverfly: Weird that i get..marianne faithfull broken english..... :shrug: :shrug:
    August 06, 2018, 13:22:23
  • Gav: :hmm:
    August 06, 2018, 11:33:20
  • DarkButterfly: Nope, that's just you ::)
    August 06, 2018, 10:43:08
  • shawdreamer: nope..... thats erm....... probably just you :huh
    August 06, 2018, 10:37:01

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 91
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: did 'YOU' fly today??  (Read 172422 times)

Offline Bad Raven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 615
Re: did 'YOU' fly today??
« Reply #1950 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:34 »
I'm getting stuff ordered now and sending him the bill. At the time I was just in a bit of WTF? and collecting all the bits from under the tree it fell through. It took a while for me to get cross, mostly on the drive home.

Good. Cross is good if used positively, make sure he knows just how much he messed you about ongoing.

BTW I do practice what I preach - a few years ago I was training a pupil fixed wing on buddy (both his Tx) and I got it wrong, caught by the depth perception gremlin and a suddenly spluttering engine. It just tree topped.

Bottom Line, I should have been better positioned and I should have better checked his timer setting. I arranged and paid for the tree recovery and I arranged and paid for a new wing on the Trainer (no other damage).

Offline Kellarly

• Liked: 186
  • aka Colin
« Reply #1951 on: June 12, 2018, 07:41:44 »
Yup.

We had a chat afterwards and sorted out how we're going to do things from now on when flying.

So other than an hour or so spent in the shed soldering the new stuff on, it's going to be ok.
Tiny Whoop (6mm, 7mm)
Babyhawk-R 2.5
QAV 180
Bantam Boxer 210

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1952 on: June 12, 2018, 15:42:18 »
So, there I was today cruising the Nighthawk 280 around doing a few flips having had another (successful!) improvement tune on the ancient Skyline 32 in it running the latest Betaflight. (Yes, I know that old a board is not supported, but damn me it works!!)

Probably less than halfway through a 2200mAh, at least three mins left at cruise speeds.  I was in cruise as flying buddy also with NH 280 had just landed to change battery and was actually switched to my channel and watching me .

Suddenly the headset image broke up more than usual while passing behind a large conifer we use as a pylon at one end of the field, then worsened again, and before I could get it back nearer me it deteriorated to a black/white mostly noise image, JUST enough in the extreme flicker to see it was still in bounds, so as the field is laying cut hay so really soft and springy, I blind landed it.

Position landed was out of sight into a dip in ground so my spotter had a line but no true location.  It was at least 20 feet below his eyeline horizon as we usually pass that point halfway up the tree, which is visually low level to main field height.   

Went straight to it, didn't even need the buzzer, and found it undamaged..........................except..............

NO RHCP SMA aerial on the VTX.   :o

Now I always check the SMA is tight, and it def was before launch, and its never come remotely loose before.

Fitted a spare RHCP and:-

1. The VTX still works OK, running sans aeial has not trashed it.

2. The connection tightens up as usual, does not feel or look strained.

DID a LOS flight and threw it around a lot, it stayed tight.   No vibration as spotter watched this flight in headset.  :shrug:

There is likely going to be a hay bale with decent 5.8GHz reception!  ::)

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1953 on: June 12, 2018, 15:52:19 »
Yup.

We had a chat afterwards and sorted out how we're going to do things from now on when flying.

So other than an hour or so spent in the shed soldering the new stuff on, it's going to be ok.

I have had it written into our mostly fixed wing club rules that anyone reaching site or before turning on any VTX MUST use VRX headset to scan complete spectrum for ANY poss video transmission (not just on our field as we have two schools and an estate that might possibly reach our area if not on 25mW).

Each pilot has a "home" frequency to minimise amount of forced changes and knows the club set separation distance between used frequencies (we don't have THAT many luckily!!).  Where there are two on the same "home", they know who they are from a list I keep updated which helps sort out swaps.

Ownership of any issue cost wise is the second person!!

Offline DarkButterfly

• Wings in the sky
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Liked: 1130
  • Got the Hexfactor
    • My blog
« Reply #1954 on: June 12, 2018, 16:03:36 »
My mate did that to me by accident once when I was flying my mini quad, his wing video completely stomped over mine, I had to dump it in the long grass, no damage luckily ~~
Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 730
    • The Tracker
« Reply #1955 on: June 12, 2018, 16:28:43 »

Went straight to it, didn't even need the buzzer, and found it undamaged..........................except..............

NO RHCP SMA aerial on the VTX.   :o

Now I always check the SMA is tight, and it def was before launch, and its never come remotely loose before.

Loctite on your SMA?   :cool:

Actually not thought of that before now.
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AndySevern7

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 619
« Reply #1956 on: June 12, 2018, 16:47:59 »

As i don't need to remove antenna very often I have the connection heatshrinked and then both sides of the sma cable tied to frame.

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 730
    • The Tracker
« Reply #1957 on: June 12, 2018, 16:48:42 »
As i don't need to remove antenna very often I have the connection heatshrinked and then both sides of the sma cable tied to frame.

Oh, that's a nice idea,I like that.
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AndySevern7

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1147
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #1958 on: June 12, 2018, 18:23:30 »
I have printed a load of spinners for the next f/ up, so people can tighten their nuts.. ~~
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1959 on: June 12, 2018, 18:51:41 »

Locktite might affect the conductivity?

Offline Kellarly

• Liked: 186
  • aka Colin
« Reply #1960 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:18 »
I have had it written into our mostly fixed wing club rules that anyone reaching site or before turning on any VTX MUST use VRX headset to scan complete spectrum for ANY poss video transmission (not just on our field as we have two schools and an estate that might possibly reach our area if not on 25mW).

Each pilot has a "home" frequency to minimise amount of forced changes and knows the club set separation distance between used frequencies (we don't have THAT many luckily!!).  Where there are two on the same "home", they know who they are from a list I keep updated which helps sort out swaps.

Ownership of any issue cost wise is the second person!!

We're going to have the process.

- Check channels on vTx are set by powering one at a time.
- Both power up vTxs and check for interference over channels.
- No powering up whilst other is in the air.

We'll see how it goes :)
Tiny Whoop (6mm, 7mm)
Babyhawk-R 2.5
QAV 180
Bantam Boxer 210

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1961 on: June 13, 2018, 18:56:35 »
We're going to have the process.

- Check channels on vTx are set by powering one at a time.
- Both power up vTxs and check for interference over channels.
- No powering up whilst other is in the air.

We'll see how it goes :)

Does not inherently protect against nearby signals not under your direct control causing interference. You may show a clean video image with the quad and headset units close together in this test, then you fly towards boundary and the situation might be very different. (someone out of sight as one possible cause).

This is all "old territory"  for 27MHz or 35MHz radio users, and why slope soarers in particular benefited by 2.4GHz, as they could easily be flying their model closer to someone else's visually hidden live system which could interfere.

Offline Reman

• Liked: 185
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
« Reply #1962 on: June 13, 2018, 20:05:18 »
I sort of flew today.....
You know that bit about taking your blades off before messing about with the flight controller firmware? Well, My large Y6 has lots of folding blades and it's a good 15 minutes work taking them all off and fitting them again......... I'll have to pop out tomorrow to get some white emulsion to paint over the pretty swirl marks in the ceiling.  :whistling:

I really wasn't expecting that. I was trying to find out why it seemed to have a couple second ramp up (And down) when I was spinning up the motors, and why about half the time iNav would refuse to let me arm the beast. So I had it plugged into the PC and was checking through everything. Created a new model profile in the TX, Checked and updated everything in Blheli, And was finally going through iNav to see if there was anything in there when I knocked my TX on the floor. By this point I'd pretty much disabled every safety option I could find in iNav in the hope that it would give me a clue where the issue was, I wasn't expecting it to arm and instantly hit full power !?!?!

Anyway, I've reflashed iNav and (Apart from the intermittent arming issue) it seems to be playing ball now. Once I've LOS test flown it with everything fitted I should be able to finish off the funky remote 3 way switched pair of FPV cams and one action cam video setup I'm intending to put on it. :)
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #1963 on: June 13, 2018, 21:00:50 »
Hopefully they are not blood red swirls!!!!!
Was it worth the 15mins?
Glad noting more that a ceiling repaint to sort.

Must admit it is always tempting to leave props on for just a 'quick tweek' of the settings.

Maybe an easier alternative is tie the thing down at a safe distance from you and your ceiling  ::)

Offline Reman

« Reply #1964 on: June 13, 2018, 21:40:26 »
Hopefully they are not blood red swirls!!!!!
Was it worth the 15mins?
Glad noting more that a ceiling repaint to sort.

Must admit it is always tempting to leave props on for just a 'quick tweek' of the settings.

Maybe an easier alternative is tie the thing down at a safe distance from you and your ceiling  ::)

Back in my RC helicopter days I had a workbench that I'd drilled a 10mm hole through. When I was statically testing one of them I had a 10"x2"x0.5" ply plate with another 10mm hole in the middle. I'd put that over the landing skids and clamp it down through the benches hole with a bloody great coach bolt and wing nut. I could do full power tests in relative safety.

This incident happened because even my desks full of crap at the minute, So the only other reasonably flat space I have with a PC close enough to use is....... My bed ! Now, Call me a prude if you like, But I haven't seen the need to equip my bed with handy tie down points..... up to now. :)

It was pure laziness that caused my near miss, And the reason it actually got to slam into the ceiling was because I had the TX sitting on the bed next to me, And as soon as the thing blasted off I did what any manly man with balls of steel would have done, I hurled myself forwards off the bed and curled into a ball to get away from the whirling blades of death !!!! It's split second reactions like this (Rather than skill) that's saved me from many a scar inducing moment. LOL ! By the time I uncurled, grabbed the TX and disarmed the multirotor it had been bouncing props off the ceiling for a good 2 or 3 seconds.

Yeah, I was lucky this time, But trust me not to have ever had a near miss like this with my 3", 5", Or even my 6" quads, I had to teach myself this lesson using a 650 monster that's spinning 9" blades !

At least the only injuries were a top set of blades, the ceiling paint and a snapped GPS puck mast. It could have been a lot worse.
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #1965 on: June 13, 2018, 21:55:23 »
I remember as a kid sitting on edge of my bed soldering stuff. Somehow I dropped the soldering iron on the bed and it landed under my hand that I was using to get up with. I had to carry on pushing down on the hot soldering iron to get off the bed! That did make a mess of my palm!!

It's amazing that more of us don't seriously maim ourselves  ::)

Good luck and stay safe  :smiley:

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1966 on: June 14, 2018, 06:54:54 »

Many years ago (when Marley Homecare stores still existed and I queued with Fred Flintstone!) I bought a couple of cheap quick folding "Workmate" type work benches. From memory they were less than £10 each on a sale day.  They can easily go in the car if I need a work surface while out

I have a variety of adaptors which clamp to these, strap to these with adapted roof rack straps or are clamped by these, inc a "table top" with underside "T" rib to be clamped by the jaws and be unable to slip out.

A couple of strong sandbags draped over the lower frames add stability for big stuff outdoors at home.

Offline Stactix

• Liked: 27
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #1967 on: June 16, 2018, 14:14:48 »
Flew in same place I normally do. Despite the cloudy windy weather, I've had more people just walk infront of where I'm flying than ever before.

3 dog walkers,
Worst was
 some Kite flyer with his 3 sons. Walked past us, greeted each other. AND DECIDED to plonk himself not even 20 foot in front of us.. So last pack, I decided to be naughty and start a little aggressive no tricks just flying fast and hard. Didn't fly over them or anything.

Now, I take it this was illegal, I stayed away as best as I could but obviously I took off within the 50metre limit and flew past them a few times. Not close, flew behind where we were standing.
They clearly saw my previous pack as they were flying the kite near the bottom of the other field. So they must of walked up the path and crossed onto this field right next to where we were.
They had a good look at my gear as they went past.

If this was to happen again what should I do? Was just a little frustrated in all honesty, 2 giant fields and they plonk themselves infront of the guy with a drone. =.=

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #1968 on: June 16, 2018, 15:40:08 »
Stactix I think technically you can't fly when they are there! As there are people not under your control within 50 meters of where you want to fly.

Only thing I can think of is keep calm and have a polite word with them. Basically just ask where they want to fly and explain that you will go to the opposite end of the fields to stay out of their way! It's annoying that they have little consideration but quad flying has legal rules and I don't think kite flying does!!

Good Luck and stay safe.

Offline hoverfly

• Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #1969 on: June 16, 2018, 16:32:01 »
http://www.kiteman.co.uk/Kite%20Safty.html

I had a similar problem with people kite f/ing in the landing area of a slope site. The park notice board warned  that the landing area had preference for the slope flyers,  some people moved when informed, others  refused to read the notice and basically enforced their " right " to do what they wanted. :shrug:
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...

Offline apollo7

• Liked: 706
« Reply #1970 on: June 16, 2018, 20:11:53 »
http://www.kiteman.co.uk/Kite%20Safty.html

I had a similar problem with people kite f/ing in the landing area of a slope site. The park notice board warned  that the landing area had preference for the slope flyers,  some people moved when informed, others  refused to read the notice and basically enforced their " right " to do what they wanted. :shrug:

I had this with "fellow flyers" a few weeks back, really wound me up when myself and a few mates were flying fixed wing including some rather fast ones, and a couple of "mates" marched past and set up right on the flightline
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1971 on: June 17, 2018, 06:46:51 »
Part of the malaise the world (and particularly the SE part of the UK) now suffers from, too many people, too much pressure for space, too easy to think "me, me". Not been a significant enough war for too long to reduce populations.

Our private paid for flying site with "no public access" is increasingly suffering incursion. One old git makes a particular daily habit of walking his two unruly Alsatian dogs right through the pits and then stands on the flight line take off direction for fixed wing to "play" with his phone.  Quite deliberate, but if we do anything he is just going to complain to the council on noise and we will lose planning permission.

One of our number was attacked by two dogs at our site (bitten several times) and the two trespassing women "owners" just laughed. Police didn't want to know.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1972 on: June 17, 2018, 06:50:50 »
quad flying has legal rules and I don't think kite flying does!!

Oh yes it does!!!

Offline Reman

« Reply #1973 on: June 17, 2018, 08:57:34 »
Kites? Aren't those them things that are controlled by a couple of thin strings?

Quads? Ah, I know this one, These are those things that fly with vicious high speed rotating blades that, If you're not careful, can accidentally slice through stuff............ Like for instance, Thin string.  :whistling:

LOL !

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #1974 on: June 17, 2018, 09:05:40 »

Offline Stactix

• Liked: 27
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #1975 on: June 17, 2018, 14:21:38 »
So it turned out that they had stood watching part of the previous pack. Was a delay between that pack and the last one as I was waiting for some dog walkers to cross the field. Just as I was about to take off they went past.

Only logical reasoning I can think is that they wanted to get a better view of the drone while flying the kite.
I did consider at the time venturing onto the other field but there were a few dog walkers congregated in the middle of that one.

Just baffling, we've been over there dozens of times when the weather has been beautiful and no incidents. Then on a cloudy cold windy day, **** sake lmao.

Offline daich

• Liked: 54
  • crash. build.
« Reply #1976 on: June 18, 2018, 12:02:17 »
made it out to a proper field this weekend to let my eclair plus unfurl it's wings

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 782
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
« Reply #1977 on: June 19, 2018, 13:11:15 »
Just little flight with BF RC2 and some newly made antennas.

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline hoverfly

• Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #1978 on: June 19, 2018, 13:41:01 »
Great video, the scenery is really eye candy stuff,   Like the long shot of the bloke peeing off the cliff, adds some human interest..  More vids please.. ~~
Going by the clarity, no breakup  the video it was taken from a separate feed  than the F.P.V.  How did the new antennas  go. ?

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 782
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
« Reply #1979 on: June 19, 2018, 13:52:18 »
The vid is from a beat up old runcam V1.

I'll stick the FPV footage up next time if I remember to press record :rolleyes:

The FPV feed was nice and clear, I started getting a periodic @1sec, line through the feed once I got passed that house, so I guess they were kicking something out.

Happy with the antennas so far now to start pushing the range a little bit more each time.

My confidence is growing and I'm now not a nervous wreck each time I go flying.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt