User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Reman: Like I said, In the past I've had a handful of packs "Go off" at me like fireworks after bad crashes (Usually with RC helis), So it's hard to get that image out of your head while stripping down Li-Po's. :)
    Today at 11:22:54
  • shawdreamer: the horror stories will always incite worry when messing about with Lipo's but its the same as everything else when working on electronics alike, alsong as your careful and methodical there's very little to panic about, I regularly recycle 4s's with a single dead cell into usable 3s packs, end of the days its alot more economical, safer and enviro friendly than having to bin them....just a pain that the dead cell is NEVER one of the outer cells so you always end up having to strip a good cell off to get at the bad cell before putting it back afterwards, its like dropping toast, it'll always land buttered side down and inevitably covered in pet fur :angry:
    Today at 00:11:16
  • Reman: Just did the one electrical job that still scares me. I dismantled some Lipo's with knacked cells and built usable packs out of the good cells. I've had packs go "VOOOOOOSH" at me in the past so I'm always slightly scared of having bare lipo contacts anywhere near what I'm working on, But all appears to have gone well and one of them is currently doing a charge/discharge cycle to make sure nothings a miss. :)
    January 20, 2019, 22:28:43
  • Reman: My original Dremel Pro made it to 14 years of heavy weekend use (And abuse) before it crocked. Dismantled that but it turned out to be a "Control module" fault, And Dremel made it ni on impossible to get into that without pooching it completely. :(
    January 20, 2019, 22:17:27
  • ched999uk: BR  ::)
    January 16, 2019, 22:26:54
  • Bad Raven: That's a warrnty claim if ever I heard one....
    January 16, 2019, 20:32:55
  • ched999uk: My 28 year old 12v 35w Weller soldering iron failed  :( I didn't fancy forking out £100 for a new one. Stripped it down and found conductor snapped in cable. 10Mins later all back working great. :smiley: ::) I am very happy!!
    January 16, 2019, 17:23:06
  • shawdreamer: "look up there....its a drone!.....and whats this noise?..... no.....no..... it cant be!....NOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS I DID IT AGAIN, I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEAR....."
    January 10, 2019, 14:17:24
  • shawdreamer: <starts downloading britney spears albums and preping his large frame to carry a PA system>
    January 10, 2019, 14:15:08
  • Bajadre: defo steveo :) we should get loads of drones together up there so how they handle more that one lol
    January 08, 2019, 19:39:07
  • steveo9007: its all a ploy to get who ever has won the contract for geofencing the airport in, i reckon  ::)
    January 08, 2019, 18:38:26
  • Bajadre: more lies hope they prepped the police staement already lol
    January 08, 2019, 18:27:49
  • Bad Raven: Take Offs resumed
    January 08, 2019, 18:24:45
  • steveo9007: yeah not good though is it..what will come out of this now its happened at both major airports  :o
    January 08, 2019, 18:05:13
  • Bad Raven: Planes still landing, appears take offs affected
    January 08, 2019, 18:02:47
  • steveo9007: newsflash people, drone sighting at Heathrow Airport  just received on news app..
    January 08, 2019, 17:54:07
  • shawdreamer: tsk x2, just checked my thingiverse messages too... another a8 owner asking if one of my designs would work with his printer.... I said no as its not fire proof.... now he seems confused :confused:
    January 05, 2019, 15:35:09
  • hoverfly: Some people,  he's probably heading for a Darwin award... :laugh:
    January 05, 2019, 13:58:53
  • shawdreamer: tsk.... a new Anet A8 owner asking for mod suggestions for his xmas first printer on thingiverse... I suggested a fire suppression system or atleast a wall mount for a fire extinguisher and smoke alarm..... he removed my post.... no helping some people :shrug:
    January 05, 2019, 12:42:05
  • Reman: I did double check it with a metre (Mainly because I knew if I didn't check the polarity this would be the time the manufacturer had gone off script and put the negative in the middle of the coax) and felt slightly cheated because it was only making 19.7 volts. :)
    January 04, 2019, 14:01:11

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Drone shuts down Gatwick airport. Media at it again!  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Reman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 212
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
Re: Drone shuts down Gatwick airport. Media at it again!
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2019, 20:37:45 »
I had a feeling that we hadn't seen the end of this story.
The trouble is either everyone who works at or around airports are going to be paranoid after the Gatwick incident and everytime they see a shadow on the ground they'll assume it's cast by a drone, Or (What I'm really worried about), Some little f**kwitt with a warped sense of "Fun" is going to think "Well, No one got caughtl when they f**ked about at Gatwick. Let's get a cheap drone and cause some havoc......... it'll be a laugh".

I'm going to hold off judgement till more facts are known.......... but one thing's for sure though. Drone regulation wouldn't have stopped it either way.
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline Cheredanine

• Liked: 1393
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2019, 21:23:55 »
Bbc had a copy of interview with the guy who reported the Heathrow one, what he saw was red and green lights in the (night) sky, unequivocal then

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 671
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2019, 21:42:54 »
Bbc had a copy of interview with the guy who reported the Heathrow one, what he saw was red and green lights in the (night) sky, unequivocal then
Don't planes have red and green lights on them?????? I wonder if he saw a plane at an airport!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you posting again.

Offline Reman

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2019, 22:41:58 »
Don't planes have red and green lights on them?????? I wonder if he saw a plane at an airport!!!!!!!!

Planes?...... At an airport?......... Surely not. I'm sure I read somewhere that they have to keep 5km away from airports or something don't they?  :o
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline tipsy trucker

• Liked: 34
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2019, 08:23:35 »
It'd only take a shotgun to sort this (I'll even volunteer!) Infact, airfields usually employ people to shoot/scare birds - I attended an interview for the role at RAF waddington last year but sadly didn't get the job. Surely those same people could have sorted this "drone" by now.....

Offline steveo9007

• Liked: 14
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2019, 08:50:05 »
The problem is now that it doesn't even have to be a drone flying, it just needs a stupid person to ring the authorities and say that they saw a drone flying and the shoot from the hip action kicks in.. :thumbdown:

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1246
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2019, 08:55:43 »
I might be wrong but an aircraft at   400 feet   @ 1.5 k  from an airport isn't landing its crashing.. :shrug:
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline Bajadre

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2019, 10:20:32 »
It'd only take a shotgun to sort this (I'll even volunteer!) Infact, airfields usually employ people to shoot/scare birds - I attended an interview for the role at RAF waddington last year but sadly didn't get the job. Surely those same people could have sorted this "drone" by now.....

problem is flying shell parts from shotguns would be more dangerous than a drone flyng around etc police said the same last time when it happened too just bizzare second airport sighting but zip all evidence pfff wonder if heathrows gonna be sold off too lol :popcorn:

what humours me is all the non drone flyers making a massive deal about it and the flyers couldn't give a s### as we all fly within the rules anyway so nothing gonna change in the end
Emax nighthawk 280,Emax x4,Blade 350qx3,dx6 (gen2),fatshark doms v2.

Offline UrbanFPV

• Liked: 107
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2019, 10:33:20 »
Good old Bruce.  I always enjoy his rants.  Bruce probably does more for the UK drone community than the UK drone community:

Talon SVX, Tyrant S 215, GEPRC Sparrow (Mo Sparah), ImpulseRC Reverb
Mavic Pro
SonicModell AR Wing
Frsky X-Lite + R9M Lite
Aomway Commanders
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9rqz1V6XIaU3xikNDzjKg

Offline Cheredanine

• Liked: 1393
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2019, 19:13:54 »
What is 1500m x tan(3 degrees)?

Steve
Both the height and distance (described as being over houndslow) were based on the statement of the man who saw the red and green light.
All together now
“No Dougal, this cow is very small, that cow is very far away”

Online Lamaule

• Liked: 711
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2019, 20:38:18 »
Both the height and distance (described as being over houndslow) were based on the statement of the man who saw the red and green light.
All together now
“No Dougal, this cow is very small, that cow is very far away”

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline steveo9007

• Liked: 14
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2019, 17:07:12 »
Any of you guys seen this, what a load of rubbish, makes you think sometimes about the creators of these pages.. :banghead: :banghead:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/742695162795622/about/

Offline UrbanFPV

• Liked: 107
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2019, 17:12:52 »
We could all report the group.  That might shut it down.  Click the "more" button on the group page and select "report".
Talon SVX, Tyrant S 215, GEPRC Sparrow (Mo Sparah), ImpulseRC Reverb
Mavic Pro
SonicModell AR Wing
Frsky X-Lite + R9M Lite
Aomway Commanders
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9rqz1V6XIaU3xikNDzjKg

Offline Reman

« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2019, 17:30:39 »
 I say let's fight fire with fire. Anyone know how many people need to class their religion as "Dronest" before it would have to be recognised as genuine?

"I fly RC aircraft as an antenna to help guide my deities love down to me....... and if you moan about it then you're guilty of spreading religious hatred, and you're going to prison !".

Online shawdreamer

• Liked: 831
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2019, 18:56:40 »
I fly mine high so that Satan can use my radio signals as a pathway to invade heavens realm and if you don't like it you can kiss my demonic round ass :beer2:
Any of you guys seen this, what a load of rubbish, makes you think sometimes about the creators of these pages.. :banghead: :banghead:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/742695162795622/about/

As I can't stand Facebook and therefore don't have a account to view that link I can only summarize its probably a prime example of why I have no time for facecack.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 19:01:36 by shawdreamer »
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 660
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2019, 19:32:11 »
Well, I thought it was pretty weak so far, if that's the best anti-drone aggression they can come up with we have nothing to worry about.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2019, 19:43:38 »
If you look at the members and their profile images it's surprising how many of them have quads in their profile images!!!

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2019, 22:24:04 »
problem is flying shell parts from shotguns would be more dangerous than a drone flyng around

Not in the right hands (anyone with some common sense).

For the uninitiated; what comes out of a shotgun is the shot and a wad; the shot is generally about 300 lead balls about 1.5-3mm in diameter. These won't break your skin if someone fired at you from any further than 75 yards away, sting maybe and not good for your eyes but that's about it. When fired straight up, they're just like hail stones when they come back down (the latter I have experienced).

The wad is even less harmful, they're generally plastic and about the diameter of your thumb with petals that open when it leaves the barrel, they're designed to slow quickly and get out of the way of the shot. They weigh less than a bottle cap and usually fall to the ground about 10-20 yards away

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2019, 22:52:17 »
Not in the right hands (anyone with some common sense).

For the uninitiated; what comes out of a shotgun is the shot and a wad; the shot is generally about 300 lead balls about 1.5-3mm in diameter. These won't break your skin if someone fired at you from any further than 75 yards away, sting maybe and not good for your eyes but that's about it. When fired straight up, they're just like hail stones when they come back down (the latter I have experienced).

The wad is even less harmful, they're generally plastic and about the diameter of your thumb with petals that open when it leaves the barrel, they're designed to slow quickly and get out of the way of the shot. They weigh less than a bottle cap and usually fall to the ground about 10-20 yards away

Not sure if they were referring to the shotgun parts are dangerous to the jet engines. i.e the lead pellets could be injested into the engine, melted and bock cooling holes. Jet engines run unbelievably hot and use lots of air to provide a barrier to flames touching combustion cans etc as the flame would melt even the 'special' steel if the air was not in the way. There are thousands of very small holes on the blades for cooling as well that need to be clear.

To be honest the pellets would likely be dispersed so much I very much doubt they would cause any real damage to an engine probably just reduce efficiency a fraction at worst.

Good to know that I need to be 75 yards away from someone with a shot gun to stay safe  :smiley:

Offline tipsy trucker

« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2019, 23:18:34 »
That of course depends on the shot size they're using; obviously shot intended for geese at about 7mm will travel considerably further. Conversely, very fine shot for clay pigeons or very small game is more like the consistency of coarse salt....

Your general country bumpkin will likely use no.6 which is about 2mm so if you're 75 yards or more away when he finds out what you've been up to with his daughter, keep running but chances are you'll be just fine.... until he's got the land rover started at least  :rofl:

Offline Reman

« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2019, 23:20:47 »
That makes me think about a story I heard about when the CIA were testing the SR71 Blackbird out at Groom lake (In Area 51).

It seems that when it would start accelerating down the runway it's engines were pulling in so much air that it would literally suck dust and small stones off the ground and damage compressor blades. The CIA's solution? Before each flight they'd send groups to walk down the runway to look for and remove any stones, Then run a vehicle up and down dragging a bloody great vacuum cleaner type contraption to pick up the dust !!!!

So that would be 20 or 30 people, Each with a security clearance higher than the presidents, Walking the couple miles of runway to pick up rocks.............. That there's American tax dollars at work. :)

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2019, 13:24:50 »
That makes me think about a story I heard about when the CIA were testing the SR71 Blackbird out at Groom lake (In Area 51).

It seems that when it would start accelerating down the runway it's engines were pulling in so much air that it would literally suck dust and small stones off the ground and damage compressor blades. The CIA's solution? Before each flight they'd send groups to walk down the runway to look for and remove any stones, Then run a vehicle up and down dragging a bloody great vacuum cleaner type contraption to pick up the dust !!!!

So that would be 20 or 30 people, Each with a security clearance higher than the presidents, Walking the couple miles of runway to pick up rocks.............. That there's American tax dollars at work. :)
Sounds about right to me. The American projects I was involved with, it was very much throw as many people at the problem as the solution.
Bit like the Americans spending thousands of man hrs making a pen that could write with zero gravity for use in space. The Russians used a pencil!!!!

Offline nate80

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 276
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2019, 00:04:50 »
Sounds about right to me. The American projects I was involved with, it was very much throw as many people at the problem as the solution.
Bit like the Americans spending thousands of man hrs making a pen that could write with zero gravity for use in space. The Russians used a pencil!!!!

Bit of a myth that one. NASA used pencils too, but they were manfactured to be stronger than standard ones and so cost over $100 each during the mid 60’s. The pencils were a fire hazard though, and the leads could still break which could potentially cause electrical and mechanical issues. An independent U.S. company came up with the ‘space pen’ and NASA trialled it in the late 60’s. They were very happy with it and so the USA and Russia both bought the space pen for all future trips at a cost of just over $2 per unit.

Online shawdreamer

« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2019, 09:02:44 »
I dont get the need for a "space pen".

dont biro's work on a simple vacuum principle??

or is the space pen what we all eventually came to know as the biro?
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Dave@F.P.heaVen

• Liked: 7
  • You win, gravity
    • F.P.heaVen
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2019, 10:25:54 »
I dont get the need for a "space pen".

or is the space pen what we all eventually came to know as the biro?

I don't know but 'space pen' sounds cool so naturally I want one ::)

Offline The.Quadfather

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2019, 11:03:47 »
Nope, they stop working when upside down so presumably require gravity to work

Same with roller-ball pens

Just to add, Perp caught flying drone @ Heathrow on 24th Dec

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46935933

Offline Reman

« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2019, 11:53:14 »
Nice how his name been made public without him even having gone to court yet.  :hmm:

If he turns out to be innocent like the last ones that'll be another person entitled to a big compensation claim for having their reputation destroyed by the media and police.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?  :angry:

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2019, 12:03:58 »
Nice how his name been made public without him even having gone to court yet.  :hmm:

If he turns out to be innocent like the last ones that'll be another person entitled to a big compensation claim for having their reputation destroyed by the media and police.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?  :angry:
Therein lies the problem with UK law. It appears it is fine to publish the alleged perpetrators name but it is usually illegal to publish the victims name!!
This needs to be changed so until convicted the names of alleged perpetrators and victims is not published. This might cause more court cases to be tried as other victims might only come forward after a conviction but for the sake of the innocent who currently have their worlds destroyed that is a small price to pay.

Online shawdreamer

« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2019, 12:38:39 »
Therein lies the problem with UK law. It appears it is fine to publish the alleged perpetrators name but it is usually illegal to publish the victims name!!
This needs to be changed so until convicted the names of alleged perpetrators and victims is not published. This might cause more court cases to be tried as other victims might only come forward after a conviction but for the sake of the innocent who currently have their worlds destroyed that is a small price to pay.

Ive been saying for years that particular trait with our laws is screamingly wrong, very sadly but  in particular is cases where false rape allegations have been made, they'll splash the alleged rapists name and face all over the papers while the alleged victim remains correctly anonymous, then even when the falsehood of the allegation comes to light the poor sod who was accused and publicly slammed has to live with a large degree of people whispering behind his back still while the alleged victim now proven full of 5hite is still protected by anonymity laws... whenever I see such things it genuinely makes me feel sick as in reality that exact thing can happen to any of us.
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard