User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Gaza07: with auto head lock  :rofl:
    November 12, 2018, 18:12:13
  • Bajadre: HAHA dji new quick fiddle mode on lol :)
    November 12, 2018, 06:58:05
  • Gaza07: You could ask for premature discount
    November 09, 2018, 12:05:26
  • Bad Raven: Not sure I can manage long time, will several short times do?
    November 09, 2018, 08:42:27
  • Bajadre: Lol Gaza :)
    November 07, 2018, 08:47:50
  • Gaza07: dji will love you long time  :rolleyes:
    November 06, 2018, 10:24:04
  • Bajadre: Lmfao lads :)
    November 06, 2018, 01:48:10
  • Gav: good luck hakcing the no go areas with that too
    November 05, 2018, 13:32:14
  • shawdreamer: dji woman = grumpy nagging overbearing nanny type who wont let you go out to play and says everywhere is dangerous and filled with paedophile planes
    November 04, 2018, 09:38:00
  • Gaza07: I want a dji woman guaranteed to go down on ya  :rofl:
    November 04, 2018, 02:33:28
  • Gav: do you live in china?
    November 03, 2018, 19:14:34
  • Bajadre: I want a pair of dji shoes that return to home when drunk haha :)
    November 02, 2018, 01:14:46
  • Gav: dji pajamas and lunch box next
    October 30, 2018, 17:14:10
  • Wyntrblue: Yams know what you mean. I quite fancy a Mavic Air but as usual the bank balance says hold on you can’t do that
    October 28, 2018, 14:18:52
  • yama: contemplating a mavic 2 zoom?? i have always been anti dji normally...
    October 15, 2018, 09:16:27
  • hoverfly: Typical.... lazy sods. spin them up. ::)
    October 13, 2018, 19:52:31
  • atomiclama: I've some 5 inch 3D props doing nowt.
    October 12, 2018, 19:53:07
  • Gav: a 6" 3D Prop Shop
    October 12, 2018, 19:22:08
  • Wyntrblue: Anyone know where to get 6” 3D props?
    October 12, 2018, 19:08:49
  • atomiclama: How are they going to prove otherwise?
    October 12, 2018, 13:25:23

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Hello Everybody  (Read 173 times)

Offline AndyBear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 3
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Hello Everybody
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:59:31 »
Hi All,

I found the site via google and hoping to learn more about the hobby and eventually build my first fpv multi rotor.

for a good few months now i've been toying with the idea of either buying a DJI Spark or to build my own

For some backstory i owned a very small quad for a few months and really enjoyed it although the thing was so small any kind of wind really effected it and made it a bit difficult to fly outdoors at times.

I've been watching tons of videos about building, FPV, drone racing etc and I really like the idea of building one myself but dont really know where to start, I know what parts i need. frame, motors, esc, fc, pdb etc but dont really know which kind of frame to start with, what kv motors and why, amperage for ESC's or specific flight controllers so hoping to learn more about the parts required and where i should start. So any pointers there would be appreciated.

I'll leave it at that for now :) hopefully speak to some of you soon!

Andy

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 796
    • The Tracker
Re: Hello Everybody
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 13:40:53 »
 :welcome:

Hi Andy! Welcome to the forum. You've certainly come to the right place. You'll get all the help, advice and support you'll EVER NEED here and more.
Just ask away.  ~~

:beer2:
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AndySevern7

Online ched999uk

• Liked: 641
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 13:58:19 »
To decide what frame, Motors etc first decide what sort of flying you want to do.
Be that racing, acrobatics or photography to name but a few.

So when you know the sort of flying you want to do post some ideas of the components you like and your budget and I am sure we will try and help. Don't order stuff till you have checked they are suitable.

Offline AndyBear

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 14:57:44 »
To decide what frame, Motors etc first decide what sort of flying you want to do.
Be that racing, acrobatics or photography to name but a few.

So when you know the sort of flying you want to do post some ideas of the components you like and your budget and I am sure we will try and help. Don't order stuff till you have checked they are suitable.

Thanks,

Well I really like the freestyle type videos I see on youtube. Exploring empty buildings, flying over and around trees etc. Those look like fun things to do but i know that will come with many hours of flying practice.

so really i just want something I can use to find my feet, learn about the hobby and get flying around my nearest open space lol

Online ched999uk

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 15:28:30 »
That's probably the most popular sort of flying here  ::)
Have you any soldering experience? Do you have tools, pliers cutters etc?
Do you have any kit yet, tx goggles, chargers?
Do you have a budget in mind?

Offline AndyBear

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 15:54:30 »
That's probably the most popular sort of flying here  ::)
Have you any soldering experience? Do you have tools, pliers cutters etc?
Do you have any kit yet, tx goggles, chargers?
Do you have a budget in mind?

I have some some soldering experience but nothing recently, toolswise i've got most things around the house but dont mind grabbing some new essential bits of kit.

Budgetwise i dont really know, obviously not wanting to go crazy, i've put some dummy baskets together and it was coming in around £250-£300 with FPV camera and transmitter and reciever, as i wear glasses i wasnt sure what to do about video reciever..

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
    • The Tracker
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 16:12:05 »
... as i wear glasses i wasnt sure what to do about video reciever..

I wear glasses and I got a set of diopters (slip in lenses) in various strengths to put into my FatSharks.
Works really well, though you do need to get the hang of holding on to your glasses when you're flying.  :cool:
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1200
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 17:15:00 »
though you do need to get the hang of holding on to your glasses when you're flying.  :cool:

Probably need a lanyard or neck strap.... :laugh:  personally my glasses are on an old boot lace.. ::)
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Online ched999uk

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 17:37:49 »
I have some some soldering experience but nothing recently, toolswise i've got most things around the house but dont mind grabbing some new essential bits of kit.

Budgetwise i dont really know, obviously not wanting to go crazy, i've put some dummy baskets together and it was coming in around £250-£300 with FPV camera and transmitter and reciever, as i wear glasses i wasnt sure what to do about video reciever..
OK so your budget will be tight very tight.
Budget basics:
Flysky i6 https://goo.gl/yp6HMA transmitter £30
Charger iMax B6 https://goo.gl/qJDG5d £16
Batteries about £18 each (4S 1500mAh lipo) gives about 6mins of flight
Goggles well if you go for 'box' goggles https://goo.gl/BQw1kX £42.
Budget 'fatshark style' https://goo.gl/bqaVei £75 (They have an adjustment for glasses up to -4 I think, which is good for me) or FatSharks starting at about £360 plus receiver!

So even with out a quad you are minimum £100.

OK so this again is very budget and is built but for £175 https://goo.gl/f7uh4h you just need to add goggles. So if you got box goggles you are at about £220! So you could get some extra batteries and still be within your budget or get the ev100 goggles and a couple of batteries at £300.

A few points. Budget stuff isn't as fast, reliable, or as strong as more quality stuff. Personally I am always on a limited budget so I try and buy stuff that does a reasonable job but at a low cost. I understand that the components may need replacing when they break but for me it's easier to spend £30-£40 now and again replacing bits than it would be buying good quality bits to start with.
So I have a Flysky i6 (now about 3 years old, still doing fine). I built a Martian3 (in build section https://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=21681.0 component list is missing due to forum issue) but it cost me about £150 ish. I built it last July and so far I have replaced FC (Flight Controller), new vtx (video transmitter) and lots of props.
I also have the ev100 goggles and for the money they are good, that said I have not tried the Fatsharks!
I have just ordered a micro fro indoors https://goo.gl/M3PxJQ (£75) which uses FlySky i6 tx and my ev100 goggles. Plus a Updated Lizard 105S https://goo.gl/cDUpwS at £85 again same tx and goggles. I am intending to use the lizard to fly smaller outdoor spaces  ::)

One thing that is difficult is learning to fly!!!!!! Most if not all the youtube vids you see are flown in acro/rate mode! This is not stabilised at all so when starting it's very difficult!!!!!!
I found that using a computer simulator helped me a lot as you can 'fly' any weather and crashes don't cost anything!!! I use my Flysky i6 and a £5 cable with Velocidrone. There is a very simple sim called FPVFreerider (Fee version has 1 map and no real adjustments but full version is only about £8).  In fact I would say get FPVFreerider Recharged as its got better maps but Velocidrone is better flying wise and is only about £16.

There is a good series of vids on learning to fly by Josh Bardwell on youtube.

Anyway that was a bit of an essay but there are lots to think about.

Any questions just ask.

As you can see there is a bit of a standing joke here at the moment about neck straps, don't worry it's just a friendly joke.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 19:55:26 by ched999uk »

Offline Lamaule

• Liked: 662
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 18:55:21 »
Probably need a lanyard or neck strap.... :laugh:  personally my glasses are on an old boot lace.. ::)

Save the money and skip the neckstrap!

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CornishMule

• Liked: 340
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 19:47:47 »
Welcome!! This forum is super friendly and has taught me a lot over the past 18months, consider yourself in the care of some very safe and experienced hands!

(However, safe hands are not enough to secure your transmitter, make sure you get a neck strap !!!! )

Offline AndyBear

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 22:36:24 »
Thanks for your tips so far.

I've seen in a couple of places the recommendation to get a transmitter and play some sims before the outlay of your first drone. I may give that a go while I learn more about the parts.

some of the questions i have relate to specifically why people chose certain brands, specs of the parts, like the escs and which amp to get etc, which FC firemware is the best and why etc.

OK so your budget will be tight very tight.
Budget basics:
Flysky i6 https://goo.gl/yp6HMA transmitter £30
Charger iMax B6 https://goo.gl/qJDG5d £16
Batteries about £18 each (4S 1500mAh lipo) gives about 6mins of flight
Goggles well if you go for 'box' goggles https://goo.gl/BQw1kX £42.
Budget 'fatshark style' https://goo.gl/bqaVei £75 (They have an adjustment for glasses up to -4 I think, which is good for me) or FatSharks starting at about £360 plus receiver!

So even with out a quad you are minimum £100.

OK so this again is very budget and is built but for £175 https://goo.gl/f7uh4h you just need to add goggles. So if you got box goggles you are at about £220! So you could get some extra batteries and still be within your budget or get the ev100 goggles and a couple of batteries at £300.

A few points. Budget stuff isn't as fast, reliable, or as strong as more quality stuff. Personally I am always on a limited budget so I try and buy stuff that does a reasonable job but at a low cost. I understand that the components may need replacing when they break but for me it's easier to spend £30-£40 now and again replacing bits than it would be buying good quality bits to start with.
So I have a Flysky i6 (now about 3 years old, still doing fine). I built a Martian3 (in build section https://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=21681.0 component list is missing due to forum issue) but it cost me about £150 ish. I built it last July and so far I have replaced FC (Flight Controller), new vtx (video transmitter) and lots of props.
I also have the ev100 goggles and for the money they are good, that said I have not tried the Fatsharks!
I have just ordered a micro fro indoors https://goo.gl/M3PxJQ (£75) which uses FlySky i6 tx and my ev100 goggles. Plus a Updated Lizard 105S https://goo.gl/cDUpwS at £85 again same tx and goggles. I am intending to use the lizard to fly smaller outdoor spaces  ::)

One thing that is difficult is learning to fly!!!!!! Most if not all the youtube vids you see are flown in acro/rate mode! This is not stabilised at all so when starting it's very difficult!!!!!!
I found that using a computer simulator helped me a lot as you can 'fly' any weather and crashes don't cost anything!!! I use my Flysky i6 and a £5 cable with Velocidrone. There is a very simple sim called FPVFreerider (Fee version has 1 map and no real adjustments but full version is only about £8).  In fact I would say get FPVFreerider Recharged as its got better maps but Velocidrone is better flying wise and is only about £16.

There is a good series of vids on learning to fly by Josh Bardwell on youtube.

Anyway that was a bit of an essay but there are lots to think about.

Any questions just ask.

As you can see there is a bit of a standing joke here at the moment about neck straps, don't worry it's just a friendly joke.

Online ched999uk

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 23:24:46 »
ESC are an easy one. If you look at the specs of the motors it should tell you max battery 3S, 4S etc plus max amps draw with those batteries and with certain props. Once you know max amps just select esc that are higher rated. Go for BLHeli_S or even better BLHeli32, this is the software the esc runs, 32 bit is ultimately better but go for BLHeli_S for budget they will be fine.

As for brands, well to me to a certain degree it's like people buying apple products. They buy due to hype. That said there are good brands, budget brands and naff don't go there brands. There are so many brands it's difficult to list some, so just post your ideas.

Software wise on a Flight Controller (FC) Betaflight is most common and very good so stick with that for the time being.

If you are going to build your own, I would say a 5" (5" is size of prop) quad is probably the size to start with but smaller quads are lighter and generally more durable but they don't really take 'action cams' so can't really film in HD. There are devices that can record HD in smaller light weight quads like the RunCam Mini Split but they are about £70.

So say for a 5" quad you need motors that start at 2205 say 2300kV. 2205 is the motor internals size, you can get 2306 or 2307 etc. Basically bigger the motor more torque and higher amps pull from battery and shorter flight time! So for starting out I would go for 2205.
2300Kv means how fast the motor spins per Volt from the battery. Again higher number lower torque (smaller prop) and needs 'lighter prop' 2300Kv is sort of basic all rounder, not max speed or max torque but will do most things.
So find your 2205 2300kv motors look up the max torque say 28Amps so you need esc at 30Amps continuous.

Hope that gives you some ideas?

As for tx and a sim YES go for it. It's winter and weather not good, (crashing in wet grass can kill components!!) . So if you have slow pc/laptop try free version of FPVFreerider if you have a reasonable pc (i3 or i5 processor and 4Gb mem ideally 8Gb then Velocidrone is better).

Offline AndyBear

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 10:12:04 »
Thanks Ched, all your advice has been really helpful.

I think in the mean time i will pick up a transmitter and play on some sims before I spend alot of money quads i dont know much about yet lol.

So, if i was to spend a little more on the transmitter that'll work with the sims what should i look for? i've seen the i6 tx being quite popular. Also what cable do i need for pc compatibility?

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
    • The Tracker
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 10:15:25 »
I use a QX7 - fantastic radio at a brilliant price.
Just a USB cable works to connect to a PC. You cas set up a model in the radio to work with the sim. I use FPV freerider and the DRL sim (the latter I favour because of the multiplayer aspect).
Hubsan X4 107 V2

Offline CornishMule

• Liked: 340
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 12:39:06 »
Second FPVFreerider.

Joshua Bardwell (in case you haven't come across him, he's an FPV guru with a YouTube channel) ran a series of tutorials on FPV Freerider, I followed them all when learning and they probably saved me numerous quads.

Online ched999uk

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 16:42:48 »
The FlySky i6 is very good for the money https://goo.gl/yp6HMA about £30 and it takes 4AA batteries ( I use eneloop type) . A cable to connect to laptop/pc via usb is https://amzn.to/2JMcUyi £7.59. Some very clever people have modified the Firmware for the i6 so it does 14 channels and has better alarm levels. Alarms and telemetry is something the QX7 is very good at.
But with the modded FW I get flight battery voltage back to the tx and have beep warnings for low flight battery warnings, low signal and timers.
I am happy with the i6, it does what I need.

The Taranis QX7 is a better tx no arguments there, it also has smaller receivers but it is near £90 https://goo.gl/2gJhRG. Then you need a battery.

One think that might be worth mentioning is that if you are a gamer and used to game controllers there are tx that might suit you better like:
Turnigy Evolution (uses FlySky rx)  https://goo.gl/6JPRgQ £36
FRSky https://goo.gl/fZSD2S £90

Forgot to say get a left hand throttle (Mode 2) radio as that is normal for UK.

So get which ever you like, get it plugged into a sim, watch Josh's vids and get practising  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 18:13:06 by ched999uk »

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
    • The Tracker
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 16:54:46 »

The Taranis QX7 is a better tx no arguments there, it also has smaller receivers but it is near £90 https://goo.gl/2gJhRG. Then you need a battery.

It takes 6xAA batteries, which is my preferred option as I have dozens of them. Battery life is pretty good with 2000mah AAs from what was Maplin.
Hubsan X4 107 V2

Online ched999uk

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 16:56:25 »
It takes 6xAA batteries, which is my preferred option as I have dozens of them. Battery life is pretty good with 2000mah AAs from what was Maplin.
Cheers I didn't know that.