User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Gaza07: with auto head lock  :rofl:
    November 12, 2018, 18:12:13
  • Bajadre: HAHA dji new quick fiddle mode on lol :)
    November 12, 2018, 06:58:05
  • Gaza07: You could ask for premature discount
    November 09, 2018, 12:05:26
  • Bad Raven: Not sure I can manage long time, will several short times do?
    November 09, 2018, 08:42:27
  • Bajadre: Lol Gaza :)
    November 07, 2018, 08:47:50
  • Gaza07: dji will love you long time  :rolleyes:
    November 06, 2018, 10:24:04
  • Bajadre: Lmfao lads :)
    November 06, 2018, 01:48:10
  • Gav: good luck hakcing the no go areas with that too
    November 05, 2018, 13:32:14
  • shawdreamer: dji woman = grumpy nagging overbearing nanny type who wont let you go out to play and says everywhere is dangerous and filled with paedophile planes
    November 04, 2018, 09:38:00
  • Gaza07: I want a dji woman guaranteed to go down on ya  :rofl:
    November 04, 2018, 02:33:28
  • Gav: do you live in china?
    November 03, 2018, 19:14:34
  • Bajadre: I want a pair of dji shoes that return to home when drunk haha :)
    November 02, 2018, 01:14:46
  • Gav: dji pajamas and lunch box next
    October 30, 2018, 17:14:10
  • Wyntrblue: Yams know what you mean. I quite fancy a Mavic Air but as usual the bank balance says hold on you can’t do that
    October 28, 2018, 14:18:52
  • yama: contemplating a mavic 2 zoom?? i have always been anti dji normally...
    October 15, 2018, 09:16:27
  • hoverfly: Typical.... lazy sods. spin them up. ::)
    October 13, 2018, 19:52:31
  • atomiclama: I've some 5 inch 3D props doing nowt.
    October 12, 2018, 19:53:07
  • Gav: a 6" 3D Prop Shop
    October 12, 2018, 19:22:08
  • Wyntrblue: Anyone know where to get 6” 3D props?
    October 12, 2018, 19:08:49
  • atomiclama: How are they going to prove otherwise?
    October 12, 2018, 13:25:23

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Thanks to Gaza07!  (Read 118 times)

Offline rickp

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 163
Thanks to Gaza07!
« on: November 01, 2018, 21:12:07 »
Not posted for a while, been sailing... We had a new crew member join us and she brought a DJI drone with her. I'm an old-school Arducopter user (well, was 5 years ago - not done anything much for a while) - so I was interested to see a DJI drone up close for the first time. However, this drone had a problem - fogging lens - meaning it hadn't been used much. For example..

We were on the boat, in Huon Reef, north of New Caledonia. Its pretty remote - the only way to get there is by sailing. In desperation, I remembered I had Gaz's e-mail address, so I fired off a quick e-mail to see if I could cheekily use him to google for me. Like a star, he delivered! We thought about it, and went a bit further - I ended up building a small vacuum chamber. We're used to improvising fixes on the boat when we're way offshore. In this case, i took the vacuum pump I have to fix my fridges, and a sealing bottle for blood testing strips, heath-robinsoned it together and ended up with this:

I dismantled the DJI gimbal and got the camera unit off, and put it into the pot and ran the vacuum pump for a few hours whilst we sailed from Huon to Chesterfield reef (2 day sail). Once vacuumed, we left the camera in a pot with silica gel and some rice (for good measure).

Once at Chesterfield reef - which is really in the middle of nowhere, we reassembled the drone and did a test flight. Miraculously, it has fixed the issue! We've done a number of flights over the following week and the lens has remained fog free. I was given free reign with it, so naturally had to take a piccy or two of the boat...

So Gaz - thanks for the help! Totally appreciated by myself and our crew Phoebe. Less so by my wife, as she now sees another expensive hobby re-ignited :) She was hoping sailing and diving was enough :) :)

We sailed into Australia yesterday (3 days from Chesterfield). Crew and drone departed, so I'm cruising the 'used drone' ads. We're here for 6 months of cyclone season and a small re-engine project. Gotta love boats!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 21:48:10 by rickp »

Offline rickp

• Site Sponsor
Re: Thanks to Gaza07!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 22:00:30 »
I should probably mention that this was a DJI Mavic Pro, and wow have things moved on in 5 years. It was very stable on take off - though to be fair we were in ideal conditions with almost zero wind (hence the gin clear water). I never tried 'sport mode' or whatever it was - last thing I wanted to do was stack the drone we'd put considerable effort into fixing ;) Flying around in the 'normal' mode was very sedate but got the job done. Video footage from a high hover was incredibly stable. Very impressed.

The controller/tablet combo worked really well - so much so that I can definitely see myself with a DJI drone in the future.

We had some other minor issues - a poorly attached prop came off and caused a slight on-deck crash which damaged the gimbal. Surreptitious bending of a metal component sorted that. The other problem was Phoebe's attempts to fix the fogging had resulted in rice getting everywhere inside the drone - so that took some cleaning out. Fortunately I had my torx drivers from my arducopter days, which may disassembly much easier. And boy do you miss you-tube when you don't have it - it makes it so much easier if you can see a video of someone else doing it first ;)

Offline Gaza07

• Administrator
  • Liked: 720
    • Multi Rotor UK
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:27:08 »
Hi Rick I was more than pleased to be able to help its good to see your back online, dont forget to post us some nice videos when you get your mavic pro  ~~

Offline rickp

• Site Sponsor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 20:06:36 »
Hah, I'll try :) Though as you (now) know, when we're offshore we have a very limited connection - certainly not up to posting videos!

Its interesting that I can get 4G data far cheaper in places like Morocco, Fiji and Vanuatu than I can in Australia or NZ....

Anyway, thanks again :)