User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Gaza07: with auto head lock  :rofl:
    November 12, 2018, 18:12:13
  • Bajadre: HAHA dji new quick fiddle mode on lol :)
    November 12, 2018, 06:58:05
  • Gaza07: You could ask for premature discount
    November 09, 2018, 12:05:26
  • Bad Raven: Not sure I can manage long time, will several short times do?
    November 09, 2018, 08:42:27
  • Bajadre: Lol Gaza :)
    November 07, 2018, 08:47:50
  • Gaza07: dji will love you long time  :rolleyes:
    November 06, 2018, 10:24:04
  • Bajadre: Lmfao lads :)
    November 06, 2018, 01:48:10
  • Gav: good luck hakcing the no go areas with that too
    November 05, 2018, 13:32:14
  • shawdreamer: dji woman = grumpy nagging overbearing nanny type who wont let you go out to play and says everywhere is dangerous and filled with paedophile planes
    November 04, 2018, 09:38:00
  • Gaza07: I want a dji woman guaranteed to go down on ya  :rofl:
    November 04, 2018, 02:33:28
  • Gav: do you live in china?
    November 03, 2018, 19:14:34
  • Bajadre: I want a pair of dji shoes that return to home when drunk haha :)
    November 02, 2018, 01:14:46
  • Gav: dji pajamas and lunch box next
    October 30, 2018, 17:14:10
  • Wyntrblue: Yams know what you mean. I quite fancy a Mavic Air but as usual the bank balance says hold on you can’t do that
    October 28, 2018, 14:18:52
  • yama: contemplating a mavic 2 zoom?? i have always been anti dji normally...
    October 15, 2018, 09:16:27
  • hoverfly: Typical.... lazy sods. spin them up. ::)
    October 13, 2018, 19:52:31
  • atomiclama: I've some 5 inch 3D props doing nowt.
    October 12, 2018, 19:53:07
  • Gav: a 6" 3D Prop Shop
    October 12, 2018, 19:22:08
  • Wyntrblue: Anyone know where to get 6” 3D props?
    October 12, 2018, 19:08:49
  • atomiclama: How are they going to prove otherwise?
    October 12, 2018, 13:25:23

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: What fc for...... whatever you call what I do  (Read 218 times)

Online tipsy trucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 10
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
What fc for...... whatever you call what I do
« on: October 22, 2018, 16:07:28 »
So, today I've had my first experience of the NAZA "flip of death" - thankfully just three props broken but it's not really something I want to repeat in a hurry. I'd heard of it but really wasn't expecting it. Obviously, I'm not gonna rush out and give up on £160 worth of fc just because of one crash but I'll start considering its replacement just in case.

So I've been looking around at different fc's out of curiosity but there's so many - I really wouldn't know where to start :hmm:

At the moment, I'm happy with nice steady flights about 50-100m up and just seeing the world from a different perspective, both looking down and also enjoying the view. I think secretly I've always wanted to pilot a plane but I've never even flown so it's all fascinating to me.

So, some details for a start. Hopefully there'll be a system that really stands out as ideal for me

I have a 650 quad frame on the way, I'll be running 5008 400kv motors and 1855 props on this frame so the fc needs to be ok with that. The currant should be around 25A max and I have 30A bl_heli dshot esc's to go with it.

I really like having RTH so I'd consider that a must

I'd be interested in autonomous flight but probably only a passing interest so it's not a deal breaker

Would need to be as good (or better) at holding it's altitude as the Naza

Would need to have OSD, preferably built in but easily added is fine too

I'm not particularly interested in acro/speed, stability and reliability would be the priority

Preferably under £100 but I'd like to hear all the options so anything goes for now

Despite being fairly young, computers aren't really a strong point so would need to be fairly straightforward to tune/setup (hardly any more complicated than naza assistant).

I bought the NAZA for simplicity in putting everything together which was nice but I'm not bad at all with a soldering iron so, if it's the sort that needs a certain amount of assembly it's not a problem

Any suggestions?

Online ched999uk

• Liked: 641
Re: What fc for...... whatever you call what I do
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 17:56:51 »
What happened with the flip, what were you doing at the time?
Not had any unidentified issues from mine. I did have a wire come off gps, but that just went to manual mode. I also had a magnet come loose in one motor but that just sort of lost power and descended. I had a faulty transmitter gimbal (well potentiometer) that gave interesting yaw characteristics.
No I did have 1 flip but that was on take off. I think that was down to me not calibrating things and doing the 'naza dance'  or it was after a landing where I didn't land on level ground and it tipped over then next flight it flipped but no damage.

Offline apollo7

• Liked: 721
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 18:47:12 »
by any chance were you descending at time of flip, if so did you drop to zero throttle, i once had a naza quad flip in this situation but it righted itself and flew okay
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Online tipsy trucker

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 18:58:30 »
Actually I've had a couple more flights since and have a theory but to answer your question; I'd flicked the rth switch, just playing really but it looked like it was going to land on my car so I flicked the switch to manual and was about to change that to GPS but moved the craft away from harm first when it just turned upside down and accelerated into the ground 😔 I've read a few stories involving manual mode and random flips and watched several videos of the same.

However, since then I've had a total of three props break in flight - all out of the same pack! There's no noticeable vibration from the motors so I'm inclined to think I may have a bad batch - they were the very cheapest I could find....

Online ched999uk

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 19:22:56 »
Just a thought. When you 'manual' mode I assume you actually mean Atti mode?
Manual mode is non stabilised and the same as Rate mode. It is very difficult to fly in manual mode, it allows flips and rolls etc!!!! If you kept the pitch forward stick a little forward in manual mode it would slowly produce a flip!!!!
Atti mode is stabilised same as gps but without the gps elements. i.e. if you push the pitch stick a little forwards the quad tilts a little forwards and stays at that angle until you let go of the pitch stick then it levels it's self!!!

So don't use manual mode use Atti. On mine I had a 3 position switch for modes. 1st = gps, 2nd = atti, 3rd = RTH.

Online tipsy trucker

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 19:30:40 »
I did mean manual - I went out of my way to set a mix up so I had all 4 modes (That's now been changed back obviously). That said, I'd simply pushed the pitch stick forwards very gently to fly 20m or so away from where me, the dog and the car were. When I got about that distance, I may well have released the stick - would that have caused a flip?

Online ched999uk

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 20:18:36 »
In manual mode keeping the stick forward would have caused the quad to continue to increase the tilt angle.
When you release the stick the quad would stay at the tilt angle and keep going forwards!!
So I doubt releasing the stick would have caused the flip.
When you say mix, did you set it up on the tx to use 2 switches? I assume that it was OK in the assistant? No confusion? I know early on and still now to a degree when something unexpected happens it difficult not to panic and flick a switch or move the sticks too aggressively.
Bit weird having 3 props break. I use Gemfan ones on mine (Carbon Nylon 1045 Propeller) at about £2 a pair.

Online tipsy trucker

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 22:14:22 »
Yeah, don't ask me how I did it though except lots of trial and error. I had GPS, atti and manual on the three position switch and the switch next to it overrode all three and put it into failsafe.

The props are goolrc, I finally got around to buying 10 pairs so I'd have less down time but I'm starting to regret going with this particular brand, although it is just a theory so far

Offline name last name

• Liked: 0
quadcopters
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 14:29:39 »
Recently I met with syma x21wpro.  Kopter very much, for dating the most it.  Are there any worthy analogs at the same cost and with the same dimensions and camera?  Translation into a smartphone is not required, but let him write to himself.  Interested in models.  I found a couple here https://www.bestadvisor.com/quadcopters but still, I don’t know which one is better.

Online tipsy trucker

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 14:45:42 »
Yet another failed prop today, I heard it go but unfortunately this time it was a fair way up. This time it's terminal I think, I'll just take the electronics off and wait for the new frame to arrive.

Can't say I'm impressed, I don't suppose you get any comeback from the manufacturer (goolrc) either?

Online ched999uk

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 17:32:48 »
WOW. Can't believe how bad the props are. On my 5" quad I have bent them straightened them had chunks missing and stress marks before they have let go and I don't think I have had one fail mid air!

That is bad luck. I assume you cant contact seller and ask at least for a refund? They must also be very dangerous as letting go mid air could fire them anywhere!

Feel so sorry for you mate. You have put so much time and effort in to have such damage due to terrible props.

You will be getting to be such an expert in rebuilding.

Get some genuine gemfans, don't waste money on carbon fibre ones yet as you might break them in crashes. When you have more experience flying then get some carbon ones as they are less flexible and stiffer giving a more locked in feel that you might not appreciate yet. Plus they are a bit more brittle so even a slight tip over can take a chunk out of them.

Online tipsy trucker

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 18:14:30 »
Cheers fella, I can't be too upset really as it was stupid to fly at all let alone 70-80m up while I doubted something. Another lesson learned I guess.

One plus is that I now have the electronics off and ready to go on the 650, apart from the receiver which is in the bin - k.i.a. incidentally, is there anything I need to know about binding/programming the replacement?

I have 18" c/f props on the way for the new frame, there didn't seem to be much in the way of plastic/carbon nylon about over about 16" but I'll have another look and hopefully save a bit in the long run.

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1200
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 20:18:31 »
A bit late but I would always stress test props on the ground, secure it to something solid and run up the motors to full throttle while standing well clear. If they fail don't use them... ~~
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Online tipsy trucker

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:07:21 »
I'm not sure it would have helped much to be honest, two broke on take off bit the others were fine for a while before letting go for no apparent reason; no crashes or brushes with anything, some didn't need balancing either so I can't blame my technique when it comes to that either. I think most went with very little load/throttle, which is strange.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new parts, I'll post my progress when I have enough parts to get started