Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 17:03:13

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

FPV Helmet progress

Started by XH558, Tuesday,April 30, 2013, 22:14:08

Previous topic - Next topic

XH558

The diddy little screen arrived from China - so tonight was a first crack at thinking how it';ll fit in the welding helmet ....

Pretty pleased with it so far .... I started by making a 6" tunnel - then realised that my glasses are 3" away from the front of the moulded aperture in the helmet what with the curve of the helmet... so the tunnel has been cut down to approx 3.5"

This makes it stick out less - and less heavy as a result.

Sides are 3mm ply - bolted through the helmet then 1/16th balsa top and bottom to form the tunnel..... I shall probably then make a second 1/8th balsa tunnel inside the helmet to get the tunnel shape nearer my eyes/glasses to cut more light out - although it';s pretty good already.

Mounting the RX and battery on the helmet is going to be dead easy as the plastic is well thick enough to bolt to anywhere for velcro straps or cable ties.

I think this will be spot on when sealed with filler and finished inside and out in black ....

David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

laters

Looking good.
Ive just been dry running my goggles kit here as my screen arrived this morning.
Not sure if I should have gone down the welding mask route that you have taken.
I will get the foam bits glued to the motocross goggles and see if that improves them.
TBS Discovery,quad & hex flamewheel clones, hubsan x4
FPV on the cheap
Hitec Aurora 9

XH558

Pretty much finished now - just waiting for the TX/RX from China before I can wire up.

No weight to it and it';s very solid and strong.

Pretty pleased with it - I think it';s going to be fine  ~~

Not going to bother with an internal tunnel extension - I think it just needs some black cloth adding to the top of the helmet that just hangs loosely over my head ....similar to an old fashioned camera.

[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

MOFO64

Nice one, looks sound.

Ghetto mods FTW  ~~
Naza V1 | 1040mm Quadcopter | 4x360kv | 4x 1565s | Zippy 5000mah 3S 30c | Hitec Optic Sport 6
My-Fly4 | 660mm M2M Quadcopter | 4x850kv | 4x1045s | Zippy 5000mah 3S 30c | Hitec Optic Sport 6

2.3m Global-hawk EDF UAV | Zippy 2200mah 4S 40c | Hitec Optic Sport 6

XH558

Camera arrived ... jury rigged it to the helmet and it seems I do need to add a fresnel lens as the image was slightly blurred with my glasses ... so I cut the fresnel lens I had down to size and put it in the cut out where the welding lens would have been and now it';s absolutely spot on .... brilliant... ~~

It WILL need something over the top of the helmet to reduce light incursion - but as I';ve said previously a small piece of black cloth will do that fine.

Now waiting on the TX/RX  ;)

laters

Looking good, my camera arrived from china the other day & I was messing around with the camera/screen/goggles setup and was surprised by how close the fresnel lens has to be to the front of the goggles to get the focus right. As yourself Ive got my specs on too so that could be coming into it too.

Can t wait for the video tx/rx from china but should be here soon as camera was ordered same day.
TBS Discovery,quad & hex flamewheel clones, hubsan x4
FPV on the cheap
Hitec Aurora 9

XH558

Who needs FatSharks  :rolleyes: :azn

TX/RX arrived and with the help of Teslahed';s idiot guide to wiring it up I managed it first time and it';s friggin brilliant  :beer2:

Added those nice egg whisk antennas I got from Gav  ~~

The great thing about the helmet plastic is that you can drill it easily so attaching stuff was a doddle ....

It';s MUCH better than I ever imagined ... looking forward to getting it on my QAV500 clone ...

Parts for the quad build are arriving daily .... aluminium arms arrived today.... just need to start cutting out the ply plates and figuring out attachment of everything..

nub

lol i';d get some mad looks wearing that down at the field hehe

looks good though and will do the job which is main thing :)
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

XH558

Quote from: nub on Wednesday,May 08, 2013, 01:18:47
lol i';d get some mad looks wearing that down at the field hehe

looks good though and will do the job which is main thing :)

Fortunately I have no field to go down to .... and at my age I don';t give a sh*t what I look like  :rofl:

Ross

Good work.

(Should frighten the kids!):rofl: :rofl:
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

teslahed

Your FPV setup looks very impressive - i think i may have to redo mine having seen yours as it does look like a good way of doing it. I might stick with the helmet for comfort but i think i will rebuild myself a better tunnel similar to yours and see if i can put a slightly larger screen in it.

The other good bit of news; i think you';ve got the same screen as me. It doesn';t bluescreen - it shows static - which is very good for fpv.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

bunnygirl80

You have to keep your trademark box instead of the black cloth. It just wouldn';t be the same if you had a welding hat!  :rofl:
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

teslahed

I have made this topic sticky because it';s the best example of someone building a relatively cheap FPV helmet we have on the forum at the moment  :smiley:

It';s not hard to do something like this;

But i';m not going to try and produce my own ';how to'; guide until i';ve neatened mine up a bit :laugh:

ericb

This does look like a good idea for the not so fashion conscious. I stuck my Galaxy note in front of me and likewise wear glasses, and struggled to get focus. Just off to check ebay for a lens.

I also feel that you should stamp something of your own identity on the project, so who will be first ? And they must sell Cybermen welding helmets surely ?

Eric

Welding helmet has arrived and I';ve found this : http://www.goodluckbuy.com/5-8g-7inch-8ch-tft-color-monitor-hd-built-in-lipo-battery-1s-3-7v-for-fpv-aerial-photography.html
Alien homemade , 330 homemade wonderful little thing oh and the 250 mini that is wonderful

XH558

Quote from: ericb on Thursday,August 01, 2013, 23:03:31
This does look like a good idea for the not so fashion conscious.

MMmm now let me think ... cheap as chips versus fashion conscious  :o ..... cheap as chips versus fashion conscious  :blink .... cheap as chi...  nah you can keep your exorbitantly expensive designer sunglasses  ... I don';t give a monkeys about fashion / image  :rolleyes: ... cheap as chips gets it EVERY time  :laugh: :laugh:

PS thanks Teslahed for making this a sticky ... well chuffed I can contribute something worthwhile ...

teslahed

I recently had the chance to compare my new FPV helmet with the Fat sharks that other people are using.

Fat sharks are more portable and a lot lighter. Very good if you have to walk half way up a hill before you fly.

However, i was getting better quality video with my screen (in my opinion) than i was with other peoples fat sharks. As long as you pick a screen that does at least 640x480 so you are not losing detail on the ground you can get a very good picture this way.

I found the fat sharks looked dimmer, more blurry (harder to make out the OSD detail) and gave me more eyestrain.

Personal preference is definitely a factor but don';t discount the cheap option just because it';s cheap!

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=3790.0

Link to my latest FPV helmet. The build is still quite rough and ready (large amounts of duct tape) but it';s pretty comfortable to wear and i can see fine.

ericb

Inspired by the helmet projects and seeing Chris on Saturday, I thought I would get it done. Probably wont get a shot till the weekend but it';s ready. Now if only I could fly like Teslahed  :embarrassed

Alien homemade , 330 homemade wonderful little thing oh and the 250 mini that is wonderful

XH558

Now there';s a modification I never thought of .... I added my RX / battery / aerial on the sloping side of the helmet and missed the nice flat bit I';d made on the top of the screen box at the front ....  well thought out that  :notworthy:  ~~

teslahed

Quote from: ericb on Monday,August 12, 2013, 20:51:50
Inspired by the helmet projects and seeing Chris on Saturday

That looks great. I had to put a lot of weight in the back of my FPV helmet to counterbalance the screen at the front - even with a 4500mAh 3 cell powering the whole thing also right at the back. Has yours balanced ok? Those welding helmets with the strap at the back look like they might support more weight at the front more easily than a regular helmet - how do you find them?

ericb

The only thing is it dips down with the weight. It';s only plastic ( £8.40 on ebay ) but I had thought of maybe a bit of foam at the bottom to keep it out. It only weighs 900 grams, so feels ok. Its only a reversing monitor for a car. but was £14, yours will be the next monitor or even this which sorts everything out really.

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/video-goggles-screens/7-screen-with-built-in-diversityto

or the chinese one

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/5-8g-7inch-8ch-tft-color-monitor-hd-built-in-lipo-battery-1s-3-7v-for-fpv-aerial-photography.html

worth a pop at £60

teslahed

I wonder how the range of those screens with the built in receivers compares with the separate dedicated systems. I would definitely double check that before buying one. I have a feeling it may not be as good but i am really not sure.

teslahed

I tried one but found the screen size too small for my liking without using the fresnel lense and the lense lowered the quality too much when i used that. Which is why i went up a screen size and made my own.

teslahed

I used that in my mark 2 FPV helmet. It works fine but i prefer a bigger screen with more separation distance and no lense than the smaller setup close to your face flyingwings have gone for.

rokit5

Quote from: teslahed on Monday,August 12, 2013, 09:57:46

I found the fat sharks looked dimmer, more blurry (harder to make out the OSD detail) and gave me more eyestrain.

There is a few factors that may have been overlooked regarding the fat sharks especially when it comes to Blurry and eye strain...
Does the owner of the fat shark wear glasses and does he use the lens pack as an addition to each eye piece?
What';s your glasses Rx, -3 to -4 diptres? Then you have the effects of your astigmatisms as well, this would make a big difference. As for brightness, maybe a mod is in order.
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"

Hands0n

Brightness and Contrast are adjustable on the Fat Shark goggles.  I didn';t know this when I first used mine and the image was very dark indeed.  Having read the brief manual I found the button and since then have no trouble with that particular aspect.

Regarding focus and astigmatism - I do have astigmatism in my right eye, and at this age have long vision that has to be correct with prescription glasses.  However, very strange, I do not need correction in the Attitudes, I can resolve the GoPro OSD information clearly, also the FPV image itself.

One thing about the diopter correction lenses - on the Attitudes at least, you have to remove the UV protection permanently, exposing the LCDs to increased damage from the daylight. So be careful if you do that.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

DarkButterfly

Quote from: dazza22 on Tuesday,August 13, 2013, 11:44:05
as anybody tried 1 of these ?  http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=382

looks interesting ..

I use one of these, it works great.

Quote from: teslahed on Tuesday,August 20, 2013, 15:37:55
I tried one but found the screen size too small for my liking without using the fresnel lense and the lense lowered the quality too much when i used that. Which is why i went up a screen size and made my own.

I hear what you';re saying about the quality issues,

yes it does lower quality somewhat due to the fresnel lens magnifying pixels, it';s all about finding the "sweet spot" with the lens, slide it back and forth until you are happy.

One other thing I found with these lenses is when they get a bit of dirt on the grooved side, they';re a bugger to clean.

:smiley:
Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386"]https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386[/url]

Mike00top

Quote from: XH558 on Saturday,August 03, 2013, 00:23:22
MMmm now let me think ... cheap as chips versus fashion conscious  :o ..... cheap as chips versus fashion conscious  :blink .... cheap as chi...  nah you can keep your exorbitantly expensive designer sunglasses  ... I don';t give a monkeys about fashion / image  :rolleyes: ... cheap as chips gets it EVERY time  :laugh: :laugh:

PS thanks Teslahed for making this a sticky ... well chuffed I can contribute something worthwhile ...

What a Hoot !!!!   i love this,  it puts  fun into our hobby,   i guess you gotta be careful where you fly with this on, so as not to get arrested though !    LOL
Hoverspeed RC ,  support equipment to the FPV Racer

quadfather

-rw-rw-rw-  –  The Number of the Beast