User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • VaNDAL_UK: ANyone FPV onver Sutton Park Birmingham?
    December 07, 2018, 12:54:30
  • steveo9007: Cheers Atom was just a thought for now as I plan on keeping it well in range until I get comfortable with controls and flying
    December 05, 2018, 21:01:25
  • atomiclama: steveo You can just plug a GPS puck into the FC and get the OSB to display the coords, record the VTX and when things go tits up you have the last known posistion. Whislt not accurate it is a good starting point. Or get the coords sent back by telemetry to you TX which will be more accurate as long as power is maintained to the quad and it is range with the TX. Just some thoughts.
    December 04, 2018, 12:27:26
  • steveo9007: Is there a post on here about the 433mhz telem tx ??
    December 04, 2018, 07:56:49
  • steveo9007: ok thanks shaw
    December 03, 2018, 20:31:44
  • shawdreamer: meanwhile the 433mhz telem option I mentioned gives you live fixes in realtime and not "delayed texts"..... plus it doesnt cost you credit everytime you request a gps fix (btw the tags sim card also needs to have credit on it :laugh:)
    December 02, 2018, 20:47:10
  • shawdreamer: and yes that does actually work..... I tried it for a laugh a couple of years ago ::)
    December 02, 2018, 20:45:09
  • shawdreamer: the tags do as you say use satellites to get positional fixes but they dont immediately report those fixes to an App, each tag requires a Sim card (same as your phone) which is used to "text" you the tags position..... in other words you could get the exact same effect by strapping a old smartphone to your frame with the google "where is my device" app installed
    December 02, 2018, 20:44:13
  • steveo9007: doesnt the tag communicate with the satellites and not via a data system, isn't it the user who owns the tag go via data to the app that can locate the tag ???
    December 02, 2018, 18:18:11
  • shawdreamer: plus, alot of the lower end trackers struggle with GPRS and often rely heavily on GSM data instead which is just not worth a sh1te when it comes to pinpointing a downed frame
    December 02, 2018, 16:23:30
  • shawdreamer: most readily available gps trackers are not really suitable for anything smaller than a 400 sized frame as the units themselves are often too bulky for anything smaller and larger frames often already have their own gps setups that can simply be outfitted with a 433mhz telem tx that would report live and accurate info direct to a ground station so there'd be no point in a sms type tracker
    December 02, 2018, 16:22:07
  • steveo9007: anybody fitted a GPS tracker tag to their drones if it gets lost and is need to find it
    December 02, 2018, 14:56:36
  • Gav: yeah too much of a hike for me too.  was tempted with the bike show the other week but TBH its not worth it - no bargains anymore and rip off parking
    November 29, 2018, 20:11:21
  • Bad Raven: Too far for me.
    November 29, 2018, 08:27:36
  • hoverfly: Sunday drone show , N.E.C.  anybody   going.??
    November 28, 2018, 18:36:04
  • Bajadre: Congrats DB brother  !!!
    November 25, 2018, 03:09:56
  • hoverfly: I wish i haden't eaten a whole ham and egg pie........ pass the Rennies.. :cry
    November 21, 2018, 17:23:37
  • ched999uk: Don't yo just hate those days where you wish you never got up!!!!!!
    November 21, 2018, 15:46:06
  • Reman: Isn't it a spooky coincidense how seconds before banggood have a sale nearly all the prices of the on sale items go up, But the discount drops the price back to the pre sale prices?
    November 21, 2018, 05:46:29
  • DarkButterfly: Certainly hard work but well worth it ::)
    November 19, 2018, 22:19:02

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 88
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: mjx bugs 6  (Read 272 times)

Offline takinatrip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 2
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
mjx bugs 6
« on: October 06, 2018, 12:39:08 »
Any recomendations on where to buy mjx bugs 6 fpv from?
I dont have the time or funds to do a build just want something fun to fly outdoors and dabble in fpv.
Ebay sellers appear to have mixed reviews on delivery etc and never bought off websites like bangood or gear best.
Any suggestions would be good.

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 653
Re: mjx bugs 6
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 13:59:49 »
Banggood are OK but do take a couple of weeks to arrive and there is a slim possibility you could get stung for import tax! If you use PayPal you have a bit of protection or use a credit card on transactions over £75 and they are jointly liable so a bit of protection.

One issue with the quad you are intending to buy is spares. Believe me you will crash a lot at first and quite often break propellers at a minimum.

I assume you have read lots of reviews on the mjx bug?

Offline takinatrip

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 15:21:03 »
Thanks ched999uk I would defo use paypal so thats a good call about having a bit of protection. Never used Banggood so its good to hear from others that have.
As you guessed Ive read endless reviews and watched lots of videos I think it will suit my needs.
Ive searched around for spares and spotted a couple of sites I could try. I currently have a Syma X5 style quad that I fly around our local dissused quarry which is an unforgiving environment when you get it wrong but have a couple of nice big fields nearby which I would be trying fpv flying to start with.

Any other quads in a similar price bracket that would give similar experience you guys would recommend?

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 20:30:54 »
It's good that you have some experience and are aware of spares.
To be honest generally people here will suggest building from scratch. The main reason is that you learn how to replace bits when you crash and break things  ::)
Plus most of 'toy' grade quads are not great, saying that it really does depend on what you want to do.
What you are looking at, for the money, as long as the reviews are reasonable should do you for getting a feel for fpv.

It's coming to winter and maybe an starter indoor fpv rig would keep you going over the colder wetter months.
Something like https://goo.gl/br8iLw for about £50 delivered. This gives you basic goggles, a brushed micro indoor quad with camera and a transmitter. OK so it's not very powerful but it will allow you to fly round the house no matter the weather outside.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on. If you fancy building from scratch let us know and we can help.

Offline takinatrip

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 12:49:38 »
My Bugs 6 arrived early from Banggood.
Got it in a flash sale for £78 delivered with camera/screen/goggles all in.
Good fun so far. Big difference in performance between Hi - Lo modes. Camera is pretty good too.
Any recomendations for extra batteries and charger unit.
It currently uses 7.4 1300mah 2s
Will post little vid if you like?

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 16:38:46 »
Sounds like you are having fun. Videos are always good to see  ::)

As for batteries it's difficult as BangGood and other far east suppliers can't ship then to UK! Well you might find the odd supplier who might ship but most don't.

I would say look on ebay/amazon and see what batts you can get. Make sure battery connector is the same, the number of cells is 2 (2S), the capacity is similar, the size fits, and the 'C' rating is at least the same if not higher. The 'C' rating is a measure of how much current you can pull i.e. 1300mAh battery with a C rating of 10 means you can pull a max of 1.3Ah x 10 = 13Amps. So if the C rating of your battery is too low and you try and pull too much current it will damage the battery.

Offline takinatrip

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 19:11:12 »

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 19:59:48 »
Chargers......
First off Lipos can be dangerous, that said there are a number of ways to charge multiple packs:
1. Buy multiple chargers  like https://amzn.to/2A6GcTU £27 each
2. Buy a multi channel charger like: https://amzn.to/2PBJ8Cd £69 for 2 channel (2 batteries)
3. using your existing charger buy a parallel charge board like: https://amzn.to/2KbgMcl £12 (Can ONLY charge same number of cells and ALL batteries must be within 0.1v) Parallel charge boards can charge up to 8 batteries as long as the charger can give out enough current!!! i.e. say a 60 watt charger charging 2S batteries =8.4v @ 1.3A (1X charge rate) = 11Watts/battery so you can charge 5 2S 1300mAh batteries in 1 hr on a 60 watt charger.
The limittation with a parallel charge board is that the batt voltages have to be close (within 0.1v/cell) and you have to start and end charging at the same time. i.e. you can't start charging 1 battery, fly and flatten a second and then add that to the charger, you have to wait till the charge cycle is finished. Alternatively you have to fly and flatten 5 then charge all 5.

Personally I use a parallel charge board, but I check the voltage of batteries and make sure they are close, I charge 2 batts at a time as I generally buy batteries in pairs and they usually get used the same flying session. That said if I storage charge them (3.85v per cell) as I am not going to fly for a while, I would then charge 8 at a time as they are all the same voltage (confirmed with multimeter before connecting to parallel charge board). Also I don't leave charging batteries unattended!!!

Hope that makes sense?

Offline takinatrip

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 16:49:13 »
first attempt at video and second attempt at flying....

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 17:46:46 »
It's always good to record your first flights as you can see improvements later on.
Looks like you are having fun and have a nice place to fly.
If you are flying FPV it helps to always fly forward as that's the only way the camera faces so you can see what's coming towards you.

Is there any manual/non stabilised flight modes? With a non stabilised mode (usually referred to as Acro or Rate mode) once you pitch forward and let go of stick it stays tilted at that angle. It is difficult to fly in at first but gives you more control. If you watch youtube vids of quads flying generally they are in Acro mode.

Have you tried the goggles yet  ::)? I found it makes it easier to fly with goggles on, but you do need to be able to fly Line Of Sight (LOS) in case something happens and you lose video signal from the quad.

Have fun and post more vids with your progress.

PS Maybe don't fly quite as close to your self, or others for that matter, as getting hit by props will hurt!!!!