User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • VaNDAL_UK: ANyone FPV onver Sutton Park Birmingham?
    December 07, 2018, 12:54:30
  • steveo9007: Cheers Atom was just a thought for now as I plan on keeping it well in range until I get comfortable with controls and flying
    December 05, 2018, 21:01:25
  • atomiclama: steveo You can just plug a GPS puck into the FC and get the OSB to display the coords, record the VTX and when things go tits up you have the last known posistion. Whislt not accurate it is a good starting point. Or get the coords sent back by telemetry to you TX which will be more accurate as long as power is maintained to the quad and it is range with the TX. Just some thoughts.
    December 04, 2018, 12:27:26
  • steveo9007: Is there a post on here about the 433mhz telem tx ??
    December 04, 2018, 07:56:49
  • steveo9007: ok thanks shaw
    December 03, 2018, 20:31:44
  • shawdreamer: meanwhile the 433mhz telem option I mentioned gives you live fixes in realtime and not "delayed texts"..... plus it doesnt cost you credit everytime you request a gps fix (btw the tags sim card also needs to have credit on it :laugh:)
    December 02, 2018, 20:47:10
  • shawdreamer: and yes that does actually work..... I tried it for a laugh a couple of years ago ::)
    December 02, 2018, 20:45:09
  • shawdreamer: the tags do as you say use satellites to get positional fixes but they dont immediately report those fixes to an App, each tag requires a Sim card (same as your phone) which is used to "text" you the tags position..... in other words you could get the exact same effect by strapping a old smartphone to your frame with the google "where is my device" app installed
    December 02, 2018, 20:44:13
  • steveo9007: doesnt the tag communicate with the satellites and not via a data system, isn't it the user who owns the tag go via data to the app that can locate the tag ???
    December 02, 2018, 18:18:11
  • shawdreamer: plus, alot of the lower end trackers struggle with GPRS and often rely heavily on GSM data instead which is just not worth a sh1te when it comes to pinpointing a downed frame
    December 02, 2018, 16:23:30
  • shawdreamer: most readily available gps trackers are not really suitable for anything smaller than a 400 sized frame as the units themselves are often too bulky for anything smaller and larger frames often already have their own gps setups that can simply be outfitted with a 433mhz telem tx that would report live and accurate info direct to a ground station so there'd be no point in a sms type tracker
    December 02, 2018, 16:22:07
  • steveo9007: anybody fitted a GPS tracker tag to their drones if it gets lost and is need to find it
    December 02, 2018, 14:56:36
  • Gav: yeah too much of a hike for me too.  was tempted with the bike show the other week but TBH its not worth it - no bargains anymore and rip off parking
    November 29, 2018, 20:11:21
  • Bad Raven: Too far for me.
    November 29, 2018, 08:27:36
  • hoverfly: Sunday drone show , N.E.C.  anybody   going.??
    November 28, 2018, 18:36:04
  • Bajadre: Congrats DB brother  !!!
    November 25, 2018, 03:09:56
  • hoverfly: I wish i haden't eaten a whole ham and egg pie........ pass the Rennies.. :cry
    November 21, 2018, 17:23:37
  • ched999uk: Don't yo just hate those days where you wish you never got up!!!!!!
    November 21, 2018, 15:46:06
  • Reman: Isn't it a spooky coincidense how seconds before banggood have a sale nearly all the prices of the on sale items go up, But the discount drops the price back to the pre sale prices?
    November 21, 2018, 05:46:29
  • DarkButterfly: Certainly hard work but well worth it ::)
    November 19, 2018, 22:19:02

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Getting my 2nd hand quad-copter in the air.  (Read 379 times)

Offline volans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Getting my 2nd hand quad-copter in the air.
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:16:31 »
Thanks for the swift response.
To recap my original post :-
“I bought a 2nd hand quadcopter (hand built). Then acquired a Turnigy 9X radio, intending to replace the existing receiver which is a frsky X4R. The +, - and signal wires are soldered on but also there is a 4th, yellow wire soldered onto the board. I've sent a couple of emails asking for some info but, as yet, haven't had a reply.
  I realise this is a a bit vague, but has anyone an idea what it could be for, and could it be left disconnected? might be able to get a photo if it helps. “

The 'copter is hand built complete with an FPV camera(picture q1) and the receiver is a Frsky  X4R (q2 &3) . the flight controller is a mateksys F722 std (q4) which is mounted over what I think is a current sensor. I purchased a Turnigy 9X transmitter c/w iA8 reciever to replace the X4R which, I've been told won't work with the transmitter.
Just to compound my problems, I've ordered a DHT 8ch diy module which I thought would save changing the receiver ( Why oh why don't I notice the important bits 'till after I've ordered something?  :().So, can I get this thing flying? Or will I have to buy some more bits?
 Any help will be much appreciated.
BTW. I used to fly model aeroplanes back in the days when everything was steam driven and simple. You just plugged it in, started the engine (hopefully) and watched your creation sail off into the wide blue yonder.
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Offline Cheredanine

• Liked: 1379
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: Getting my 2nd hand quad-copter in the air.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:40:25 »
Ok so as it stands, the red wire is providing 5volts to the receiver, the black wire is providing ground, the blue wire is connected to the rx pad of uart 2 and is providing an sbus signal, this is what controls the quad
The yellow wire is connected to the tx pad of uart3 and I believe is bypassing the inverter on the reciever (why it is soldered to the board) to provide telemetry

Can you connect it to a pc with betaflight configurator on it and post a screen shot of your ports tab?

The short answer to your question though is yes, assuming the quad has no problems it should be easy to get flying
The only issue you have is you need a small reciever, ideally with diversity antenna, and serial output (sbus, ibus etc or at least ppm).
That needs to compatible with your radio
I am not familiar with turnigy 9x, everyone I know flys frsky or flysky, maybe someone will chip in, otherwise I will take a look around
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:12:38 by Cheredanine »

Offline Cheredanine

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 10:42:15 »
Aha looks to me like it is rebadge of the flysky, CHED what rx does he need for ibus?

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 804
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:04:28 »
The  iA8 can be modified to provide iBus, but requires soldering direct to the pins of the uP on the RX, wouldn't do this unless you are confident.

The Turnigy 9X can be modified with the DHT 8ch module you have. Again wouldn't do this unless you are confident.

The cheapest option is to get a flysky x6b reciever which I think works with that radio. Someone please chip in.
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-X6B-2_4G-6CH-i-BUS-PPM-PWM-Receiver-for-AFHDS-i6s-i6-i6x-Transmitter-p-1101513.html

Think you need todo lots of reading and asking questions  ::)
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 804
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:01 »
The yellow wire is connected to the rx lad of uart3 and I believe is bypassing the inverter on the reciever (why it is soldered to the board) to provide telemetry (Rssi probably) although, it has been a long time since I used an x4r

Isn't the yellow connected to the TX pad of the FC?? Telemetry ?
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline Cheredanine

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 11:11:04 »
Isn't the yellow connected to the TX pad of the FC?? Telemetry ?
Silly typo on my part, yes it is it the tx pad, not the rx, and connects to the board directly rather than the smart port pin to bypass inverter, it is providing telemetry from the fc to the radio (typo fixed)

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 653
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 13:17:37 »
I would use a Flysky X6B receiver as it's fairly small has diversity (with replaceable antennas) and does flight batt voltage back to tx.
The IA8X Receiver is the new small one I think. Not used one and have not seen and connection diagrams but looks like it is iBus (just 0V, 5V and iBus control signal).

Sorry have to go out now. I will post more info later.

Offline volans

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 15:06:29 »
Thank you all for the info. I will read, mark,  learn (hopefully) and  inwardly digest. Might take a while. mean while, I'll try to get the screen shot.

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 653
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 16:49:11 »
OK so looking at the mateksys F722 std (Flight Controller - FC) you should connect 0v and 5V as they are on the current receiver(rx) (black and red), to the 0V and 5V on the new rx. On the new rx there should be a signal wire probably called iBus. This wire needs to connect to the RX2 pad on the FC same as the current Blue wire.
Then on Betaflight make sure UART2 is set to serial rx on the Ports page then click Save at bottom of the page.
Then in BetaFlight on the Configuration page scroll down to receiver section and use the drop down to select FlySky and iBus ( I think there are 2 dropdowns for receivers on Betaflight, I can't remember exact names).

That should get the rx working.
Now you should go into the rx page. You need to adjust the stick and switch movements so they all centre at 1500, all min at 1000 and all max at 2000. Use the tx endpoints and subtrim to get them all as accurate as possible. AUX are normally the switches so check tham as well. Don't forget to save.

Now you need to go to the modes tab and make sure that the switch you want to use to arm is set and works. The flight modes will need to be set to a 3 position switch if poss. 1st pos I suggest is Angle, 2nd pos Horizon and 3rd pos should be set to no mode which is Rate mode. You do this by moving the sliders on the yellow bar to cover the section that you want for each mode.

Lastly set failsafes!!!!! VERY IMPORTANT. This is the system that says what the quad does if it loses signal from your tx. You want it to DROP! To test this TAKE PROPS OFF!!! give it a little throttle so motors are spinning then switch the tx off, after a second or so the motors should stop.

There is a good guide to BetaFlight setup here: https://www.propwashed.com/betaflight-configuration-guide/
He explains much better than me and has diagrams :)

Anyway hope that helps, let us know how you get on or just ask more questions if you need help.

Offline shawdreamer

• Liked: 802
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 16:53:29 »

The cheapest option is to get a flysky x6b reciever which I think works with that radio. Someone please chip in.
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-X6B-2_4G-6CH-i-BUS-PPM-PWM-Receiver-for-AFHDS-i6s-i6-i6x-Transmitter-p-1101513.html

Though its actually stated in many listings to work perfectly with the stock 9x I actually struggled quite a lot to get any of mine to except all inputs, sometimes one or two channels would work, sometimes three then often none, they do work perfectly with the turnigy evo though in both ppm and pwm, ibus/sbus.

I use the 6xb on all my current builds that fly off my evo, previously I used the Flysky R6b receivers with my 9x, you can de-case the R6b and cut away all but the required pins to make it as small as possible (you only need one 5v live,one ground and the signal pins)
https://m.banggood.com/Wholesale-FS-R6B-FlySky-2_4Ghz-6CH-AFHDS-Receiver-for-i6-i10-T6-CT6B-TH9x-p-68604.html?rmmds=search
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline volans

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 15:14:45 »
Got a X6B, wired it up (inc voltage sensor) and managed to bind it to TX. I connected to Betaflight but can't get any response to the transmitter with & without battery connected ( betaflight is showing batt voltage). Can run up motors in Betaflight - but I don't suppose that means anything, I assume this bypasses the RX.I read somewhere ( been to so many sites, my brain hurts  :frantic:) that the  F722 FC has sbus, no mention of ibus, don't know if this makes any difference ??
 Quadruple checked all connections. Don't know what to do next.

Offline volans

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 15:42:36 »
Oops! forgot to set TX to Sbus :whistling:. now responding, BUT the controls are all over the place, (in Betaflight) e.g. throttle moves the aux. scale  and spins the quad graphic.

Offline Cheredanine

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 16:05:21 »
That is the channel map on the reciever page, it is a drop down, you just need to pick the right one, dunno what it is for flysky, trial and error

Offline volans

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 09:14:53 »
Once again, thanks for all the help. It's been a long & winding road but I've finally got it working ( could not get it to arm, nearly gave up). Haven't put the props on yet because there is still 2 'minor' problems. every now and again it throws a wobbly - literally, and sashays across the bench. Also, although set  to 20 degrees it will still arm when tilted at a greater angle, any ideas?
One more question, it has an FPV camera attached. I don't want to buy goggles as I don't think I'd use them much. I have been looking to get a receiver & app for my phone but the app reviews in general are none too good, Has anyone any experience with these and suggest a good app?

Offline AmiSMB

• Liked: 13
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 17:09:38 »
I tried getting a receiver and plugging it into my phone and it just did not work :( I have an LCD with built in receiver. This is the closest one I could find to the one that I have Banggood 7inch diversity LCD
KC250 RS2205 2300kv SPF3 DAL 5 x 4.5 BN
EMAX MT2204 2300kv SPF3 DAL 5 x 4.5 BN
Gravity 250 DYS 1806 2300kv SPF3 DAL 5 x 4.5BN

Controlled by FrSky Taranis