Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 19, 2024, 23:32:18

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

faulty ESC?

Started by mitchell.atheis, Monday,October 01, 2018, 20:51:28

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchell.atheis

Armed the quad earlier and only 3 of the 4 span up to idle. Once I went above min throttle the motor started up but in guessing the ESC is done for ? It flew a bit ropey and dipped on punch out.

Few things to mention
-Motor screws are not touching the windings.
-This is on a 4in1 ESC
-brand new Motor was put on not long ago

Cheredanine

ched

If you have changed an esc or motor and are not running DShot then calibrate escs.
I try :-)

mitchell.atheis

Running dshot 600 - I thought you wasn't supposed to calibrate 4 in 1?

ched

Quote from: mitchell.atheis on Monday,October 01, 2018, 22:11:21
Running dshot 600 - I thought you wasn't supposed to calibrate 4 in 1?
DShot doesn't need calibrating.

To find out if motor or esc. Swap a motor with another. If fault follows motor it's motor. If fault stays on same arm it's esc.

Cheredanine

Ched is correct, although the first thing I would look at is your soldering in the component replaced, if the esc was damaged I wouldn’t expect it to fly normally

mitchell.atheis

Will give that a go and report back

Elmattbo

Dipping corner does sound like a motor. I just had to do my own testing to fault find motor or esc. Turns out it was the esc - it set a brand new motor on fire!! [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAKM05Pl2P83gaE9EEVfFvw"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAKM05Pl2P83gaE9EEVfFvw[/url]

mitchell.atheis

Well, funny you say that, I swapped out the same corners motor as the bearing sounded like it was grinding when this problem arose. Could a bad motor bearing damage the ESC?

I have swapped over the motors and the problem is still in the same corner so in guessing that tells the story.

Cheredanine

Bad bearing could burn an esc if it was bad enough, but unlikely to do what you are describing, however if it stayed with the esc you have your answer, the only other (very unlikely) possibility is the gyro is damaged, but I would assume the esc and replace it

mitchell.atheis

The thing sounds like a turbo spooling at mid throttle, making a really weird noise and feels like I'm flying a 3S.

I'll swap out the ESC as I have one spare, done with HGLRC now, I'm on my third.

Will start looking at singles after this swap

Cheredanine

Hmm be careful you are throwing out new symptoms, mid throttle oscillations is typically a symptom of a problem (mechanically) with the stack, eg nit tight enough. Or something rubbing or pulling on it

mitchell.atheis

Oh dear, that doesn't sound promising. The FC is soft mounted and held in place fine, so will swap the ESC and see where that takes me

mitchell.atheis

Okay so I swapped over to a new ESC and all is good as new. The strange noises must of been the other 3 motors compensating for 1 bad corner.

What are some  good slim ESCs these days ? I have a flosstyle with rather thin arms so always have been 4 In 1

Elmattbo

Can’t help you with that, I’ve been running the same esc’s for about 2 years now! The first one died last week!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAKM05Pl2P83gaE9EEVfFvw"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAKM05Pl2P83gaE9EEVfFvw[/url]

Cheredanine

Depends on what you want, mostly running 4 in 1 but hobbyrc have some mini airbot wraiths that are quite small but decent specs.
Floss is really designed for 4in1

Generally for racing any blheli_s or blheli32 that physically fits and can handle the voltage and amps is fine
For freestyle as above but stick to blheli32

mitchell.atheis

Quote from: Cheredanine on Thursday,October 04, 2018, 12:51:46
Depends on what you want, mostly running 4 in 1 but hobbyrc have some mini airbot wraiths that are quite small but decent specs.
Floss is really designed for 4in1

Generally for racing any blheli_s or blheli32 that physically fits and can handle the voltage and amps is fine
For freestyle as above but stick to blheli32

I wouldn't mind running 4in1 again but maybe something a bit more reliable - i've been using the HGLRC F440 20x20 stack, which is nice and easy for me to setup, but proving unreliable.

Would a 30x30 stack be more endurable as it's not so condensed ?

Lamaule

Quote from: mitchell.atheis on Friday,October 05, 2018, 09:24:45
I wouldn't mind running 4in1 again but maybe something a bit more reliable - i've been using the HGLRC F440 20x20 stack, which is nice and easy for me to setup, but proving unreliable.

Would a 30x30 stack be more endurable as it's not so condensed ?
Hey Mitchell,

I'm running the spedix gs35. Great performance so far and send very reliable too: https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/spedix-gs35-4in1-blheli_32-35a-esc

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

mitchell.atheis

Quote from: Lamaule on Friday,October 05, 2018, 09:38:52
Hey Mitchell,

I'm running the spedix gs35. Great performance so far and send very reliable too: https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/spedix-gs35-4in1-blheli_32-35a-esc

That looks like my next contender then, i know you give the quad a hard time so must be durable. How long have you had it in the stack and is it still your first one ? Also what FC are you using alongside the 4in1 ?

I think HobbyRC are going to think i've got a addiction problem soon :laugh:

Cheredanine

As per Lamaule I am running the Spedix in two quads without any problems

Lamaule

Lol, I don't know what you mean! [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

I've had mine in there for maybe nine months. I think I have them in three of my quads now. Not had one fail yet.

I'm running dys f4 pro V2 as the FC, they've been good but I'll be trying something new in future. Maybe a Helio spring.
Quote from: mitchell.atheis on Friday,October 05, 2018, 10:11:32
That looks like my next contender then, i know you give the quad a hard time so must be durable. How long have you had it in the stack and is it still your first one ? Also what FC are you using alongside the 4in1 ?

I think HobbyRC are going to think i've got a addiction problem soon [emoji23]

Cheredanine

I am running helio spring with both of mine. For durability I had Chris crash one of them at bfu5, still flies fine

If you are looking to replace the full stack and run betaflight I just out the new hobbywing g2 into my proton, very nice stack, comes with full documentation, all the mount stuff you could ever need and, provided you get the billion of tuning parameter the devs felt betaflight needs right (one of the main reasons I prefer the helio spring and butterflight)
Then works fine (testing I fixed the image throttle setting problems betaflight stock setting have)
https://youtu.be/lArBSQbVd2c

mitchell.atheis

The Xrotor looks rather tempting, unless something new comes out between now and me breaking the next ESC, i'll be going for that. Would make me itch to try 6S though which my wallet doesn't like the sounds of.

Elmattbo

What do you want 6s for? I’m not convinced by it myself given the cost of replacing almost everything. You can get pretty good flight times with the right set up, there’s less voltage sag and because you use lower kv motors you get good low end torque. But it’s not dramatically different unless you just want to go nuts on an all out explosively fast high kv amp hungry rig.

Cheredanine

The point of 6s is less voltage sag, that quad there is running 4s I have no problem with voltage sag, no intention of going 6s

ched

Quote from: Cheredanine on Friday,October 05, 2018, 13:58:08
I am running helio spring with both of mine. For durability I had Chris crash one of them at bfu5, still flies fine

If you are looking to replace the full stack and run betaflight I just out the new hobbywing g2 into my proton, very nice stack, comes with full documentation, all the mount stuff you could ever need and, provided you get the billion of tuning parameter the devs felt betaflight needs right (one of the main reasons I prefer the helio spring and butterflight)
Then works fine (testing I fixed the image throttle setting problems betaflight stock setting have)
https://youtu.be/lArBSQbVd2c
Nice to see a flight on a football field.

Lamaule

Agreed in every way!
Quote from: Elmattbo on Friday,October 05, 2018, 15:16:11
What do you want 6s for? I’m not convinced by it myself given the cost of replacing almost everything. You can get pretty good flight times with the right set up, there’s less voltage sag and because you use lower kv motors you get good low end torque. But it’s not dramatically different unless you just want to go nuts on an all out explosively fast high kv amp hungry rig.