User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • yama: contemplating a mavic 2 zoom?? i have always been anti dji normally...
    October 15, 2018, 09:16:27
  • hoverfly: Typical.... lazy sods. spin them up. ::)
    October 13, 2018, 19:52:31
  • atomiclama: I've some 5 inch 3D props doing nowt.
    October 12, 2018, 19:53:07
  • Gav: a 6" 3D Prop Shop
    October 12, 2018, 19:22:08
  • Wyntrblue: Anyone know where to get 6” 3D props?
    October 12, 2018, 19:08:49
  • atomiclama: How are they going to prove otherwise?
    October 12, 2018, 13:25:23
  • atomiclama: Think I'll put a 25mW sticker on mine. also a stick that says quad is limited to 399ft. I'll also put something on my tx stating 25mW. Sorted everyone happy  ::)
    October 12, 2018, 13:24:21
  • Bad Raven: I think a lot of us will have seen the published (leaked) training instructions to police officers on FPV, which was both incomplete and incorrect. Only the Little Hitler types will be comfortable treading any of that path!
    October 12, 2018, 07:08:58
  • Bajadre: I dont it reman unless he had a good bit fo drone knowledge ive shown my drone to a officer whi was interested before and all he said i like the green props haha
    October 12, 2018, 01:54:03
  • Andy7: They'll call in the flying squad on you
    October 11, 2018, 20:54:44
  • hoverfly: Don't think they would have done until they read your post... :laugh:
    October 10, 2018, 19:58:44
  • Reman: Thought for the day - If a knowledgeable police officer stopped you and saw that you had a "600mW" VTX on your quad he'll get funny about it, But would even a VERY knowledgeable officer know what they were looking at if the same VTX had a professional looking label under the heat shrink that proclaimed that the VTX was in fact a 25mW unit?  :hmm:
    October 10, 2018, 18:16:41
  • atomiclama: FrSky R9M Module and R9MM Receiver just been shipped. Yeay.... nothing flying at the mo to put it in though  ::)
    October 08, 2018, 09:43:41
  • Bajadre: i still pop on too see what you crazy guys are up too haha :)
    October 06, 2018, 06:43:09
  • atomiclama: Still here, Only just.......
    October 05, 2018, 13:41:07
  • Wyntrblue: I’m still here. Spent today whooping round the house too. It being decidedly too cold to go outside to fly now
    September 30, 2018, 19:15:16
  • ched999uk: Did the Big Fly-Up #6 happen? No one has posted anything today!!!!
    September 29, 2018, 21:25:47
  • atomiclama: Nothing to see here, move along now
    September 28, 2018, 16:09:24
  • hoverfly: Only the Moribund Flyers.. ::)...
    September 27, 2018, 19:05:46
  • Gav: anyone still alive out there
    September 27, 2018, 17:19:11

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Travelling UK to the USA with Quads  (Read 317 times)

Offline Cortez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 2
  • Not enough hours in the day!
    • Andys Blog
Travelling UK to the USA with Quads
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:09:08 »
Hello,

I'm off to the states in a couple of weeks and I'm planning taking my flying kit Taranis, 2 quads and 10 x 1300mah 4s batteries.
From doing some reading taking the Lipo's at storage charge in hand luggage is the correct way to go but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience of this. Is it best to put the Taranus in my check in bag or just take my whole Quad kit backpack on as hand luggage.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy
Mavic Pro - QQ190 - Vortex150

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 769
    • The Tracker
Re: Travelling UK to the USA with Quads
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:36 »
I'll tell you on Wednesday when I fly to Singapore!

I checked with the airports guides on LiPos and (read their docs, don't rely on my) the rules are pretty simple:

* Hand carry ONLY for Lipos. Not in checked in luggage.
* Carry them at STORAGE VOLTAGE
* Keep them in a proper LiPo Bag.
* Look at the maximum watt/hour capacity.
* Make sure your packs are all in good condition.
* Bonus: put a protector over the connectors (or duct tape!)

Additionally, I'm printing out a sheet with a list of what I have, in suitabl languages, a note that they're in storage state and TOTAL W/H capacity being carried as there's a limit. It's pretty high, so you'llbe okay, but DO check in case you have to ditch packs.

Also, Take everything out of your rucksack into the trays so they can SEE them. They always ask me to do that.
ALSO, make sure that you can power-up any electronics to prove it's legit. Make sure your laptop is CHARGED!!

I'm putting a piece of tape over one of my Radio batteries (I'm using AAs in my QX7) so it can't accidentally turn on when crammed in the overhead - had that with an electric toothbrush once and had to explain what the buzzing sound was from my rucksack to flight attendants.

Be nice to the security people, do what they ask you and you'll be fine!
 ~~
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AndySevern7

Offline Cortez

• Andys Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 13:30:21 »
Thanks Andy that's a great point list.

All the best with your trip to Singapore let me know how you get on

Andy

Offline Lamaule

• Liked: 620
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 14:14:29 »
It's driven by the airline you are flying with not the airport. They all have differing rules. As Andy says it's done by watt hour and will include all batteries you're carrying including laptop phones...

Declare then at the security check and you should be fine.  I doubt you will be able to take ten batteries though. Maybe five or six tops!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
    • The Tracker
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 14:54:09 »
Singapore Airlines allow up to 20 pieces. They list that under "100Wh or less" but it's not clear that it's the TOTAL or each. I'm going to go with total and take 5 packs, (<my 75c ones clearly say 19.35Wh on the label, which is handy).

Lufthansa say:

Batteries designed to be removed (e.g. in collapsible devices):
- The user must remove the battery.
- The battery must be protected from short circuits by insulating the terminals (e.g. by taping over exposed terminals).
- The batteries must be individually packed in a protective container provided by the passenger.
- The battery’s watt-hour rating must not exceed 300 Wh.
- A maximum of one spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spare batteries each not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried.

Though they're talking about VEHICLE batteries. Not entorely clear.
ZMR200 | EMAX 2206 2300kv | XSRF4PO(BF) | FatShark Dom V3 | Spedix ES25 | 4S 1300mAh | 5045x3 PC HQ Props | FrSky QX7.
Hubsan X4 107 V2

Offline Jakalas

• Liked: 175
  • Say what...?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 17:14:01 »
BA also has an 100Wh limit. This includes power banks and laptops. If you are taking a digital camera with, the camera battery could also count towards this.

With my trip to Colorado there wasn't to much fuss, as long as you ensure that everything is in place (the list Andy did is quite comprehensive)

I agree, 10 x 1300mAh is going to be way to much and they might get a bit sticky about it, however if you are travelling with a friend or partner, then you could always argue the point that you have 100Wh allowance, as well as you friend / partner.

UK side was quite easy with no questions or issues.
US side they required me to unpack everything bigger than a mobile phone.

As Lamaule stated, this is specific to the airline, so make sure what the rules are for the specific airline you are flying with.

If you forthcoming and friendly with security, then there should not be any issues.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that you put any tools you might have, like cutters, screwdrivers, soldering iron, etc in you checked luggage. If it's in you hand luggage they will confiscated it and it will be destroyed. Only things you want to take in your hand luggage is your quad/s, batteries, goggles and radio.

Offline PropsToYou

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 435
  • One prop, two prop, three prop four
    • BristolFPV
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 17:22:51 »
Hey Andy,

Sounds like you've got an exciting trip ahead of you.
I travel a lot with my UAV's for work and as people have mentioned above, some aspects of what you can and can't do depend on the airline you are flying with.
The primary rules are:
  • All LiPo batteries MUST be hand carried unless they are fitted to a device. [What this means is, let's say your TX is powered by a LiPo, you can actually put that in your checked luggage, but it has to be securely fitted inside your device. So when I fly with my Inspire 2, I have 2 batteries fitted to the inspire itself and a battery in each of my transmitters, all of which get's checked into the hold]
  • All batteries in your hand luggage must have the connectors protected to avoid any chance of a short. This usually means just popping a bit of electrical tape over any terminals is fine, but if you have a 3D printer handy, I much prefer printing battery connector caps as it avoids getting tape glue over my connectors
  • The amount of LiPos you may carry in your hand luggage will depend on the airline you're flying with. But usually it's limited to a maximum of 2 lipos over 100 watt hours, and either 4 lipos below, or unlimited (within reason) below 100 watt hours.

Like I say, I fly with my kit a lot and I've never had a particularly big issue. Sometimes they will ask about them and ask them what they are for. Generally, all security want to know is, are they within the required watt hour limit, and are they taped.

As others have said, it is definitely advisable to transport the LiPos at storage voltage if at all possible and whilst not required, it's definitely a good idea to transport them inside a charging bag or similar. However, I would say, be cautious with this. Remember, the security that look through your gear know specific things to look for, but they won't know everything about the industry. If you start pulling out silver bags with "fire bag", or "prevent's battery explosions" written on them, it may cause them to get a bit edgy.

Regarding how many LiPos you can take, as I've mentioned, the amount is limited to the airline you're flying with (which is who?), but I have frequently had no choice but to fly with significantly more than my limit. The thing is, unless you're carrying a bag literally full of batteries and nothing else, the security staff aren't going to care too much as they aren't specific to your airline, but the whole airport. There's never a time that staff specifically from your airline should need to look inside your hand luggage, however, if you do decide to take more than they specify you are allowed, you need to be prepared to leave some with them if they say you have to stick to your limit.

All this to say, it is pretty simple at the end of the day, they seem to like making it seem more complicated than it is. Just check the airlines rules and use common sense and you'll be fine :)
F550 (Naza V2, AeroXcraft arms, E310s, Zenmuse and GPH4-B)

DJI Inspire Pro

Nighthawk 250 (SPF3, Mobius C, Aomway 200mw)

FQ77-124 Pocket Drone + Hubsan X4

Make it - Break it - Make it better

Offline Cortez

• Andys Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 21:00:39 »
Thanks for the replies everyone, very informative.

Ive had an email conversation with someone at BA and asked about taking 10 batteries, i sent all the info about the watt hour of the battery and Martin from BA said that its fine and has made a note on the system linked to my booking reference detailing this that I'm allowed this amount. Im pretty impressed at the response time as BA are usually super slow to respond.

This is the email address also available on the website
safety.1.safety@ba.com

Thanks

Andy

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 634
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 21:10:23 »
Thanks for the replies everyone, very informative.

Ive had an email conversation with someone at BA and asked about taking 10 batteries, i sent all the info about the watt hour of the battery and Martin from BA said that its fine and has made a note on the system linked to my booking reference detailing this that I'm allowed this amount. Im pretty impressed at the response time as BA are usually super slow to respond.

This is the email address also available on the website
safety.1.safety@ba.com

Thanks

Andy

Make sure you also have the email with you in case of any queries!
Good Luck and don't forget to post footage of our trip.  ::)

Offline Elmattbo

• Liked: 338
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 00:25:57 »
This is actually a really useful thread. Can it be made a sticky?

I’ve flown with my gear a lot and never had an issue at security. I’ve posted on another thread that I think it’s a good idea not to put your batteries through the scanner along side other electronics as it shadows the scan.

Also the TBS LiPo bag is pretty good as they make a point of not writing ‘fire safety’ or ‘danger LiPo fire bag’ on it. It’s black, fairly plain and designed with travelling in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andy7

• Global Moderator
    • The Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:43:57 »
Heathrow Terminal 2 was an ABSOLUTE BREEZE! We normally go to Singapore direct via R3, which is usually a compelte bun fight at the security scanners. Saving a GRAND on the tickets, we hopped via Munich.

The security at T2 is smooth as BUTTER!
2 quads strapped to my backpack (props off), three lipo bags full. They have DOZENS of security stations there, so you FLY through. Looks like a bar tender waiting for you to cheerfully help you put stuff into the trays and into the scanner.

Woman there said calmly, "oh, what's this", "drones", I said... she called back to the guy at the screens watching stuff in the x-ray. "yuh". he said... and it all went through. Didn't even want me to take the lipo bags out or anything.

SUCH a relief, and SO professional and easy. I didn't care that I beeped (really,I had NO METAL) through the archway. Had to go in the sweet body scanner, got a friendly frisk and ion scan swab of my trainers on the other side (brand new trainers, worn first time,so no narcotics on them....  :sweating:) ). Again, all that other extra stuff was smooth, fast, friendly and NO FUSS.

HEATHROW T2 is OFFICIALLY DRONE-FRIENDLY!  ~~
Hubsan X4 107 V2