Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Wednesday,April 24, 2024, 05:03:54

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,426
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 9
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

twitch and flip from hover

Started by Stickman, Wednesday,July 25, 2018, 18:19:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickman

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help with a fault I'm seeing on my new (first) build?  I lift off into a hover and the quad begins to twitch then flips over. 

Specs are cb 2.5in frame, emax 1106 6000kv (soft mounted), Furious piko OSD (soft mounted), spedix GS25 BLheli32 4in1, Gemfan 2540 props, Betaflight 3.2.5, 8k/8k, min throttle at 8% (tried 4.5 and 6.5%), DShot1200

I thought it was min throttle but 8% idle hasn't fixed it.  Any ideas much appreciated as I'm baffled and frustrated!!

hoverfly

Start by checking motor position and rotation,  , a motor may go in the right direction but if it's in the wrong position
the quad will flip. Basic error and very common.
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Stickman

Thanks! Will give it a try and report back...

Cheredanine

Quote from: Stickman on Wednesday,July 25, 2018, 18:19:55
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help with a fault I'm seeing on my new (first) build?  I lift off into a hover and the quad begins to twitch then flips over. 

Specs are cb 2.5in frame, emax 1106 6000kv (soft mounted), Furious piko OSD (soft mounted), spedix GS25 BLheli32 4in1, Gemfan 2540 props, Betaflight 3.2.5, 8k/8k, min throttle at 8% (tried 4.5 and 6.5%), DShot1200

I thought it was min throttle but 8% idle hasn't fixed it.  Any ideas much appreciated as I'm baffled and frustrated!!
Yeah ok first point, dshot doesn’t use min throttle. Did you mean digital idle?
Second there is a hell of a lot of soft mounting there, soft mounting acts like a low pass filter, a little is good, too much is very bad

Still quad shouldn’t flip. (If I am clear, it takes off and hovers, then things start to go wrong?)
It doesn’t sound like digital idle, you are not at zero throttle.

When I have seen this behaviour before it has been with 4in 1escs and there have been issues with the motor wire solders to the ESCs (eg dry joints, not enough solder or almost shorting)

Stickman

Thanks!  Poor soldering is a possibility as I haven't had much practice; I'll check the joints...I can flip the TPU arm protectors over to take out the motor soft mounting, but the FC would be tricky because it sits on silicone inserts.

I'm probably misusing terms - I was reading an article about raising min throttle but the only setting I could see in that area of Betaflight was an idle percentage, which sounds like the one you mention.  It was at 4.5% but I tried 6.5 and 8% to no avail.

Yes, it takes off, hovers, and responds to commands in the right sense but it sounds like a motor begins to "sputter" and it progresses into a flip over.

Cheredanine

Quote from: Stickman on Wednesday,July 25, 2018, 19:32:09
Thanks!  Poor soldering is a possibility as I haven't had much practice; I'll check the joints...I can flip the TPU arm protectors over to take out the motor soft mounting, but the FC would be tricky because it sits on silicone inserts.
Silicon inserts on the F.C. are fine. Just stick with them mate
I'm probably misusing terms - I was reading an article about raising min throttle but the only setting I could see in that area of Betaflight was an idle percentage, which sounds like the one you mention.  It was at 4.5% but I tried 6.5 and 8% to no avail.
Min throttle is only applicable to oneshot, dshot uses digital idle, 4.5% is generally too high. If it was too low it would only effect when the throttle is zeroed, not in a hover, stick with 4.5%
Yes, it takes off, hovers, and responds to commands in the right sense but it sounds like a motor begins to "sputter" and it progresses into a flip over.
Just check your props are tight, but strongly suspect the motorwire solder joints to the ESCs

hoverfly

Check the motor mounting screws haven't damaged the windings.
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Cheredanine

Quote from: hoverfly on Thursday,July 26, 2018, 08:59:27
Check the motor mounting screws haven't damaged the windings.
Also possible but would produce massive heat in motor and tends to cause twitch at bottom more than anything else, would expect getting into a hover would be difficult and twitching would be noticable whilst doing so

Stickman

Thanks for all the help folks, much appreciated!  I'm hoping to have a look at the soldering tonight or tomorrow (real life permitting  ;D) so I'll let you know.  Famous last words, but I was super careful to measure the motor screws and you can see through the motor mounts and there aren't any threads sticking through, so fingers crossed they're OK  :crossfingers:

Stickman

IT WORKS!!  ::) re-soldered two motor wires and I'm in business.
Thanks both for all your help - amazing knowledge and community spirit!  :notworthy:

ched

Quote from: Stickman on Thursday,July 26, 2018, 19:28:25
IT WORKS!!  ::) re-soldered two motor wires and I'm in business.
Thanks both for all your help - amazing knowledge and community spirit!  :notworthy:
Well done. Now don't forget to show us some video to prove it works  ::)
I try :-)