Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 13:49:31

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Opinions sought on FPV set up and quad design...

Started by XH558, Sunday,April 28, 2013, 17:22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

XH558

You';ve seen my posts - and you know I';m not in to kits - I prefer to fettle  ;)

So I';m going to build a new quad to start off this FPV thing. At the moment I have a very successful, home built Hex with Naza and 6 DJI Opto escs and a simple ';X'; quad with KKv2 and 4 nice TBS escs.

My plan is to break the Hex as I';ll need the Naza  - and use the 4 x TBS escs off the exisiting quad ...

I aim to ';copy'; / ';clone'; the TBS Discovery design as I plan to have both FPV camera and GoPro out front.

I shall make the top and bottom plates from ply - my material of choice - it';s so versatile - and painted black it looks ok.

Now to the opinions ....

Breaking the Hex will give me plenty of 10mm square carbon tube - so  the questions ....

1) Do you think that 10mm sq tube will be good enough for the arms without support? (using the clamp carbon motor mounts I had on the quad)

2) Would my other option of 15mm sq aluminium tube from B&Q be better? (with flat aluminium motor mounts bolted on from the existing quad)

3) OR - radically - would it actually be better to do what TBS do and buy some DJI arms = motor mounts and legs built in....

Obviously option 3 goes against the ';fettling'; grain - but I want it to be right and will sacrifice my innate desire to make things myself for decent ready made parts if it';s worth it.

Then - I am scared sh*tless  apprehensive about the various cable connections that need to be made and wonder if I should also swallow hard and get a TBS Core??

What';s the feeling ... say it as it is and I';ll probably go with the best reasoning  :rolleyes:

So - which arms?? - and Core or no Core??  :popcorn:

David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

Jumpy07

Quote from: XH558 on Sunday,April 28, 2013, 17:22:38
You';ve seen my posts - and you know I';m not in to kits - I prefer to fettle  ;)

So I';m going to build a new quad to start off this FPV thing. At the moment I have a very successful, home built Hex with Naza and 6 DJI Opto escs and a simple ';X'; quad with KKv2 and 4 nice TBS escs.

My plan is to break the Hex as I';ll need the Naza  - and use the 4 x TBS escs off the exisiting quad ...

I aim to ';copy'; / ';clone'; the TBS Discovery design as I plan to have both FPV camera and GoPro out front.

I shall make the top and bottom plates from ply - my material of choice - it';s so versatile - and painted black it looks ok.

Now to the opinions ....

Breaking the Hex will give me plenty of 10mm square carbon tube - so  the questions ....

1) Do you think that 10mm sq tube will be good enough for the arms without support? (using the clamp carbon motor mounts I had on the quad)

2) Would my other option of 15mm sq aluminium tube from B&Q be better? (with flat aluminium motor mounts bolted on from the existing quad)

3) OR - radically - would it actually be better to do what TBS do and buy some DJI arms = motor mounts and legs built in....

Obviously option 3 goes against the ';fettling'; grain - but I want it to be right and will sacrifice my innate desire to make things myself for decent ready made parts if it';s worth it.

Then - I am scared sh*tless  apprehensive about the various cable connections that need to be made and wonder if I should also swallow hard and get a TBS Core??

What';s the feeling ... say it as it is and I';ll probably go with the best reasoning  :rolleyes:

So - which arms?? - and Core or no Core??  :popcorn:

If you are making your own plates then you cannot use the core as the Core uses components on the TBS Plates..
10mm Square carbon for arms would be a bit light I think..
15mm Ali would be fine.. but DJI arms are cheap..  why not just make your own plates ?
Have a look at the QAV 500 design.. if your building your own this is a better design.. as it has isolation mounts for top plate that carries electronics and camera
BNUC-S Pilot with PfCo /PFAW.
UAQ / CAA PfCo Instructor / Flight Assessor

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

XH558

Cool ... right that';s one decision made straight off the bat - the Core is a no go  ~~

I like the QAV 500 design - not seen that .... will do some research ...

I have to say I am leaning very heavily towards DJI arms - they solve a lot of problems in one go    :whistling:
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

Gav

Hi David

I';m doing the exact same thing.  And making my own frame.  Instead of buying 10mm ally tubing I';ve got in 4 dji arms which saves a bit of fiddling with motor mounting.  I';m using black G10 for the central plates.  Got it all measured up ready to cut.

Gav

SimonS

Point 1:- You can use the core without the TBS plates.  If you look, it';s used in the Caipirinha.

I would suggest though getting the TBS plates and arms and forgetting the Core.  The Battery/ESC connections save a lot of mucking around with wiring as does the receiver to Naza connectors.  The Core is only required if you have different voltages for your VTx and Camera (and that can be solved with two BEC';s) and if you want it for the OSD.

Jumpy07

Quote from: SimonS on Sunday,April 28, 2013, 21:04:25
Point 1:- You can use the core without the TBS plates.  If you look, it';s used in the Caipirinha.

Not sure how the do the core the plank..  obviously the current sensor is on the plates of the TBS... either way not worth the hassle.. better with proper OSD.

Jumpy07

So £61 for Core and Current sensor.. which only displays current, voltage and Rssi..

Well if it was my money think would spend my money on decent OSD. might need to add a few extra ££ but money better spent... for example Cyclops OSD is slightly cheaper, comes with Current & Voltage Sensors and GPS.. 

XH558

Already this is all way above my head  :help:

I have ordered an HK OSD per Teslahed';s brief on a cheap FPV set up ...

And if I order plates and arms I';m pretty much back with a kit ... and down another £75  :rolleyes: HOWEVER, I can see the advantages of the plates what with the built in tracks etc  :blink

Perhaps as a first FPV the plates would be a good idea ...... mmmmmmm

This is a dimella and no mistake  :frantic:

teslahed

I think that as long as you make your plates big enough that you have plenty of space to lay everything out neat and tidy you wont find it too difficult just to wire stuff up manually.

Getting it all to fit on my FPV mini hexacopter was a different story - i can see why people like the TBS plates now - but i think space is more vital than the built in tracks.

If you get a camera and video transmitter that run from 12 volts instead of 5 you would make your life much easier as you wont actually need to worry about 2 different sets of voltages, which is one of the advantages the core offers anyway.

I think that with the simple OSD you wont find it too hard to get started - you can think about adding complexity later once you';ve gotten bored with the basics.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

XH558

Yes you are right I must not get sucked into the dark side  :rolleyes:

I will make my own plates with ply as originally planned and succumb only to DJI arms   :azn

teslahed

Some people have a lot of success with the DJI arms, but i get the impression that the material they are made of is far from ideal. The plastic they are made of flexes and bends more than aluminium or carbon fibre and you';ll get a less stiff frame as a result. If you have everything perfectly balanced this isn';t a problem but if (when) you do get some imbalance the more flexible frame will wobble more and fly less well then something made from a better material.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

XH558

Aha .... so it';s back to 15mm square aluminium then  :rolleyes:

I suppose it makes sense - fettle the whole thing under my control  :azn