Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,April 23, 2024, 17:41:06

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,426
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 36
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

small light sloper?

Started by apollo7, Monday,June 18, 2018, 18:57:01

Previous topic - Next topic

apollo7

BR, some very nice light slopers there, you are very good at scratchbuilding as some of those look like they could have been kits, a job well done  :cool:
still not made my mind up so think i will just get a DF Wiesel trek....and hope its the right choice  :hmm:
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians

Bad Raven

The Hawk was later than the pic a kit, but before it was, the main parts were supplied to me as wing blanks only and I did the rest as development for FW, but then I designed the Pteryx, which sadly they assessed as too extreme for production.

Had the same with power wings, where I designed the Sting based on reduced span and modded Buzz wing blanks.

hoverfly

Might get tempted to get the hot wire out again.. Just got to remember where I put the controller...  :hmm:  The workshop looks like several bombs have gone off in it.. :embarrassed  ..
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

apollo7

going round in circles here, so being direct would the DF Wiesel trek be a GOOD choice to use in fairly light winds, say 5-15MPH and at small slopes, like around 40ft bank?
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians

Bad Raven

I doubt that the Weasel would be up to much in a true 5mph, but then little short of the various DLG planes and the first Alula and its various clones (maybe) would.

8-15, yes.

apollo7

well, i have or soon will lose my regular flying site, so will have to look into this small slope soarer lark, but at the moment i just cant convince myself to part with the £115 for a DF wiesel, so still at the thinking stage, i had sort of planned to pull the trigger on one tonight

hoverfly

I would look around for another site and then sort out what sort of  a/c you want, p.I.t.a. as it maybe. :smiley:
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...

apollo7

Quote from: hoverfly on Wednesday,June 27, 2018, 19:11:09
I would look around for another site and then sort out what sort of  a/c you want, p.I.t.a. as it maybe. :smiley:

Losing the site is a big reason to find a light sloper so i can fly from smallish hills nearby, rather than needing a football pitch to land on

Bad Raven

Quote from: apollo7 on Wednesday,June 27, 2018, 19:28:51
rather than needing a football pitch to land on

The normal method of landing a foam wing like the Wild Thing, etc, is to go back behind the slope lift and near hover land it. Places where there is no room to do this then land cross slope crabbing angled into wind, or turn out close, hover, and back it in (yes, really).

You really should have little trouble getting it down to near a hover so very little forward speed to lose.

My JW 60 (a "plank" wing glider capable of just under 250mph in DS) can reliably be landed with maybe at worst three feet forward movement from first touch. I have landed it at my feet on cliff paths, and I make no claims of skill.

If you are needing a lot of forward space (rather than just inaccuracy) then you are doing it ALL wrong. Practise landing 100 feet up off slope till you can easily bring the lane to a near standstill and accelerate away again.

Typical easterly today at the (flat) field, with gusts to 15 and lulls to 5, very turbulentaround  trees, backwash, etc. 

One of my ex-school now ex-uni trainees was on refresher from last October, so I put up the rudder/elevator/throttle EasyStar, a plane prone to ballooning into wind, and with no great reserve of power. A couple of the "old gits" (like me in age!) were quite aghast at this, why was I not giving him a better plane for wind as I had one with me?

"Because I want him to learn technique, he already can "fly" was not what they expected to hear! (none of them flew BTW, too windy!!)

While today I handled landings (involving stabs of full throws either way as the tree buffet tried to invert it on finals and a lot of throttle balancing) he handled all the rest without me having to even think about taking over.  He's "reading" wind, anticipating where the turbulence is going to be, watching and feeling for approaching gust evidence. He now has experienced and so knows where the limits are, when to "get out of dodge", where not to put yourself to avoid risk, he's fast becoming not a model flyer but a true pilot.

And only because he NEVER gets an easy time from me. I restrained myself today but I'm not above flipping it inverted and saying "yours", throwing the buddy switch. I will now wait until the very VERY last moment before taking over, and he's continually told," its your plane, you put it there, YOU get it out"!

Friday looks to be just as bad, or should I say good.......... he will be landing it then after an easier time today, and I will then be satisfied he can do the club solo test with his eyes shut.

ALWAYS give yourself a hard time.......................  ;)

apollo7

Quote from: Bad Raven on Wednesday,June 27, 2018, 20:51:06
The normal method of landing a foam wing like the Wild Thing, etc, is to go back behind the slope lift and near hover land it. Places where there is no room to do this then land cross slope crabbing angled into wind, or turn out close, hover, and back it in (yes, really).

You really should have little trouble getting it down to near a hover so very little forward speed to lose.

My JW 60 (a "plank" wing glider capable of just under 250mph in DS) can reliably be landed with maybe at worst three feet forward movement from first touch. I have landed it at my feet on cliff paths, and I make no claims of skill.

If you are needing a lot of forward space (rather than just inaccuracy) then you are doing it ALL wrong. Practise landing 100 feet up off slope till you can easily bring the lane to a near standstill and accelerate away again.

I was referring to my planes like the 1600 ranger, this does need a big run way as it just wont come down, not slope planes

apollo7

I nearly bought the DF wiesel this morning, but the t9 hobbies website would not process my credit card, so i guess i wont be getting it

hoverfly

Try ordering over the phone.. ::)

apollo7

Quote from: hoverfly on Friday,June 29, 2018, 08:36:01
Try ordering over the phone.. ::)
we are good, tried ringing and Richard ended up phoning back, order placed, look forward to getting this rather expensive sloper.
BTW still hearing not so good things about quality of sprite

hoverfly

Going to have to look into that, I've seen one unboxing vid and looking down the wing blank it was straight. If any problems were going to occur that would be the first place to look. :hmm:

hoverfly

Quick search and found this, does say its cog sensitive but all wings are. :shrug:

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic/8113-sprite-42/

Curiosity building, might give them a ring Monday..

apollo7

Having taken the plunge to get the DF Weasel  Trek (now spelt correctly)  really looking forward to this, thought about a build thread but as it only takes minutes to build, no point, will just post some pics here

apollo7

The Weasel arrived today, in general quite pleased with it but slight issue, the wings dont line up correctly, on one side, toyed with sending it back as this is top dollar and should be top quality, but think i will deal with it, now i need a way to add some colour but little weight

hoverfly

Nice ~~  good to see they supply beans for low wind days.. :hmm:

apollo7

Quote from: hoverfly on Tuesday,July 03, 2018, 20:24:47
Nice ~~  good to see they supply beans for low wind days.. :hmm:

Nice, the fact it is faulty, so much for paying for quality, sending it back for a refund and selling up

apollo7

I sorted the poor alignment of the wing, a magnet was sticking up, pinged the magnet out, and once my caring wife had found it, i got it in proper, its now built, just need to set correct throws on elevons and wait for some wind

hoverfly

Waiting for wind.. :rofl: ... i've been waiting for it to drop for ages,  the second half of the windmill expedition was cancelled as it started blowing..
Still tempted with the Sprite, i might do a Swiss cheese on it and cookie cut some holes in the wings to lighten it.. :hmm:

apollo7

Well, the weasel trek is just about ready, still need to sort throws/dual rate/expo on it , charge the NI-MH, might maiden it tomorrow

William Cosmo Monkhouse

hoverfly

Looking good, A couple of eyes on the wing might repel hawks/crows, etc.  ~~ I think you will really enjoy it.
I went to buy a Sprite last week and they were out of stock... :laugh:

Bad Raven

Quote from: hoverfly on Saturday,July 14, 2018, 13:36:30
A couple of eyes on the wing might repel hawks/crows, etc.

There are various hawks, crows, swifts, parakeets, pidgeons, etc at the flying sites I use.

A Red Kite (now with mate) often chooses to come over, particularly when I'm flying my Dr David Halko "Superfly", never for aggression, but to formate and fly.

The Buzzards just ignore the planes. The Crows chase the Buzzards but leave the planes alone. The Swifts/House Martins show interest and usually have a look but no more.

apollo7

Like the picture bad Raven, i do have to confess to ordering a pair of silhouette stickers of black err, gliding type birds to put on this as its a lot of white foam