User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: beararsedcheek... :laugh:
    September 18, 2018, 18:42:15
  • Bad Raven: or bearreft, or bear left?
    September 17, 2018, 14:21:16
  • Bad Raven: or isnotherebear
    September 17, 2018, 14:20:30
  • Bad Raven: more like doesnotcarebear
    September 17, 2018, 14:20:07
  • Gav: carebear?
    September 17, 2018, 11:37:44
  • atomiclama: you there bear??
    September 15, 2018, 11:42:45
  • Reman: Got stuck in traffic yesterday. After an hour I started using my phone (And an OTG cable) to look through the media files on a keyring of my old USB sticks. Found one that had the entire run of "Firefly" on it. I got through 3 episodes before the traffic started moving again....... God, That really was an amazing show.
    September 14, 2018, 19:52:46
  • Gav: ok dude
    September 08, 2018, 16:40:59
  • mo_miah: Gav- if its a camera ship then TBS crossfire is definitely what you need, the FrSky has limited channels and telemetry options, TBS crossfire has much better features and more channels to control camera gimbals etc
    September 07, 2018, 11:53:01
  • Gav: mo miah - wanna swap from immertionRC UHF and try something else on my camera Ship.
    September 07, 2018, 11:25:40
  • DarkButterfly: My laminate arrived, the rebuild is coming along ~~
    September 06, 2018, 20:00:44
  • hoverfly: I coated a couple of Slipstreams  a few years ago  It stiffened up the wing nicely .On the down side although it prevented dings when i had an high speed"arrival" it left the resin cracked. and the glass lifted slightly.  Well stuck laminate stiffens the wing and is flexible..
    September 06, 2018, 18:26:13
  • DarkButterfly: I'm doing laminate, just put my order in for some, also got some balsa wood for the side parts, had to use a kitchen knife to seperate the foam from the busted wood
    September 05, 2018, 13:21:11
  • atomiclama: Thanks, can't decide on fibre glass or laminate. Like the idea of fibre for some reason, don't know why.
    September 05, 2018, 10:45:48
  • Bad Raven: Usng PolyC, yes
    September 05, 2018, 10:13:54
  • atomiclama: Anyone fibre glass coat their wings??
    September 05, 2018, 09:30:22
  • atomiclama: @DB well you obviously need a bigger motor and ESC, as flying slower is just not possible.  ::)
    September 05, 2018, 09:29:59
  • DarkButterfly: ~~
    September 05, 2018, 09:10:18
  • hoverfly: If you put a couple of coats of Eze Kote on the wing before the laminate it sticks really well ..no lifting.. :smiley:
    September 05, 2018, 08:47:37
  • DarkButterfly: If it makes you feel better, I’m going to completely refurbish my falcon Evo with new balsa sides and new laminate ~~
    September 04, 2018, 21:42:53

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Noob Alert - Ways to tame my 5" quad?  (Read 534 times)

Offline ivanmcp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Noob Alert - Ways to tame my 5" quad?
« on: May 30, 2018, 21:16:02 »
Took my Emax Hawk 5 with 4S battery for it's maiden flight this evening just hovering around the garden and without goggles. Aim was to familiarise myself with it and get some flight practice. I accidentally moved the throttle all the way up and this thing gave me the scare of my life - it shot up into the stratosphere so fast I think I pooped myself a little.

Question - how do I make it less responsive whilst I learn some ropes? Can I use 3S? Or can I tweak it somehow in BetaFlight?

Coming from a DJI Spark this thing is a lethal weapon in wrong hands like mine and all I'm doing is trying to save few lives - if at all possible.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 21:37:45 by ivanmcp »

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 628
Re: Noob Alert - HWays to tame my 5" quad?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 21:30:56 »
:welcome:
3S will tame the throttle but that means buying more batts for a relatively short time before you 'need' 4S  :smiley:
You should be able to tame things down a bit in Betaflight by looking at rates. Have a search on youtube about rates. Basically you can soften the stick sensitivity for yaw, roll, and pitch.

I found easiest way to get used to things was to connect my transmitter to my laptop with a 7in1 usb cable (ebay £5) and practice on FPVFreerider (cheap sim about £6 for full version, limited demo version free).

That way you can get your fingers used to small movements needed to control the quad. Learn Acro mode as Angle or Horizon mode will teach you bad habits that will make things difficult in future.
Acro is much easier with the goggles on.

Online Cheredanine

• Liked: 1321
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 21:32:38 »
Well firstly get used to the throttle,
However easy ways to adjust your quad to make the throttle more tame:
1. Use less aggressive props (guessing it has avian, try some hq5040 or dal cyclone 5040 or even 2 blade 5030
2. Adjust your throttle channel sub trim on your radio so you don’t use the top end
3. Use 3s

Ched is probably right about rates although if you are flying angle mode it won’t be a problem, however rates won’t tame the throttle, only aspect changes

Online Lamaule

• Liked: 598
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 21:40:01 »
I had some sound advice when I bought my motorbike and asked an experienced rider about a restricter.

I remember his advice to this day “you’ve already got one built in” and pointed to my head and my throttle wrist.

Same applies to the sticks.  Take it easy, treat it with respect, fly in open space and you’ll be fine. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Elmattbo

• Liked: 332
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 21:41:31 »
Which radio is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Cheredanine

• Liked: 1321
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 21:45:28 »
Also worth finding someone to fly with that can help.

Online Lamaule

• Liked: 598
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 21:46:40 »
Very sound advice!
Also worth finding someone to fly with that can help.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Stactix

• Liked: 27
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 15:01:19 »
I'd also consider getting a cheap toy house drone, usually around £10-15 and anything you learn with it will transfer directly to your 5"

Offline ivanmcp

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 21:37:24 »
Which radio is it?

Taranis X7S.

Thanks for all your replies. I did buy Makerfire Tiny Whoop Micro but man, drones are so hard to fly - top kudos to all of you.

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 628
Re: Noob Alert - Ways to tame my 5" quad?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 21:44:35 »
Get a cable for your taranis and get FPVFreerider (free version is limited but works to test pc and tx).
You can practice for hrs, no recharging batteries or waiting for dry day. Plus you can alter the sensitivity of the quad. So you can gradually push things.

When I started out I could barely take off without crashing on fpvfreerider. Now I can fly fpv on most sensitive settings. Not that I can get through all the gates but I am improving slowly. I can notice the sim helping when I go out flying.
The sim helps teach your fingers to be able to do very small movements plus it teaches you eye hand co ordination.

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 05:46:26 »
On the Taranis you can program a curve so that the stick travels linearly between say 0-75% throttle but using the whole stick movement. If you want to tame it down that’s  a good way to do it because more than 75% thrust is still available to individual motors for manoeuvring.

There’s a JB video about it somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it.

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
Noob Alert - Ways to tame my 5" quad?
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 05:52:06 »
Haven’t watched it but hopefully this helps!

Offline Two-Six

• Liked: 358
  • Have I had my biscuites yet?
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 10:28:35 »
One thing I have found helped me get better at fine stick movements was "PINCHING" the sticks.  I just can't fly using my thumbs on the sticks very well, especially my helicopters as they need pretty fine control inputs.  I don't really use much in the way of rates, just a little bit....I like a sharp feel to my controls. 

It might feel pretty strange at first but try holding your TX so your index fingers can rest on the top edge of the sticks with your thumbs on the lower edge, pinching the sticks.  Your finger is much more dexterous than your thumb and you can "index" the stick position more accurately.

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

Offline Martin Pegler

• Liked: 17
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 21:39:38 »
The pinching method may help as stated above, I use to pinch when I flew helicopters but so since flying drones I have changed.

Don't be tempted to try and hover in a small place, always make sure you have plenty of room.

You will soon get use to the power and I'm sure before to long you will enjoy looking for ways to make it faster.

Definitely practice on a sim, it's great for muscle memory and to be honest there pretty good now.

Practice, practice, practice.. 😀
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 21:43:18 by Martin Pegler »

Offline Harlem

• Liked: 10
  • It's all about the fun
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 18:14:21 »
3 cells is the best way, others are smaller props or less aggressive props.

Most Tx's have a throttle curve, NOTE, not many people do this as most want full power, but make your curve concave and ending at 75%.

I.E. 0 20 40 75

Oh and maybe make sure anti gravity is turned OFF? Others will have to confirm this though as i am not 100% sure.

Offline Sweet Pickle

• Liked: 147
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 18:33:50 »
On the Taranis you can program a curve so that the stick travels linearly between say 0-75% throttle but using the whole stick movement. If you want to tame it down that’s  a good way to do it because more than 75% thrust is still available to individual motors for manoeuvring.

There’s a JB video about it somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it.

The Joshua Bardwell video you referred to really helped me with calming down my 4S build. I still have a model setup as laid out in the video. I didn't/don't have the greatest ability and rarely ventured into Aacro before trying out that.

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 03:36:14 »
The Joshua Bardwell video you referred to really helped me with calming down my 4S build. I still have a model setup as laid out in the video. I didn't/don't have the greatest ability and rarely ventured into Aacro before trying out that.
Glad to help!

Offline Elmattbo

• Youtube
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 04:34:12 »
3 cells is the best way, others are smaller props or less aggressive props.

Most Tx's have a throttle curve, NOTE, not many people do this as most want full power, but make your curve concave and ending at 75%.

I.E. 0 20 40 75

Oh and maybe make sure anti gravity is turned OFF? Others will have to confirm this though as i am not 100% sure.

All antigravity does is boost the I term during a fast throttle movement so that won’t make any difference. It’s just designed to stop attitude drift during aggressive punches.