User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: beararsedcheek... :laugh:
    September 18, 2018, 18:42:15
  • Bad Raven: or bearreft, or bear left?
    September 17, 2018, 14:21:16
  • Bad Raven: or isnotherebear
    September 17, 2018, 14:20:30
  • Bad Raven: more like doesnotcarebear
    September 17, 2018, 14:20:07
  • Gav: carebear?
    September 17, 2018, 11:37:44
  • atomiclama: you there bear??
    September 15, 2018, 11:42:45
  • Reman: Got stuck in traffic yesterday. After an hour I started using my phone (And an OTG cable) to look through the media files on a keyring of my old USB sticks. Found one that had the entire run of "Firefly" on it. I got through 3 episodes before the traffic started moving again....... God, That really was an amazing show.
    September 14, 2018, 19:52:46
  • Gav: ok dude
    September 08, 2018, 16:40:59
  • mo_miah: Gav- if its a camera ship then TBS crossfire is definitely what you need, the FrSky has limited channels and telemetry options, TBS crossfire has much better features and more channels to control camera gimbals etc
    September 07, 2018, 11:53:01
  • Gav: mo miah - wanna swap from immertionRC UHF and try something else on my camera Ship.
    September 07, 2018, 11:25:40
  • DarkButterfly: My laminate arrived, the rebuild is coming along ~~
    September 06, 2018, 20:00:44
  • hoverfly: I coated a couple of Slipstreams  a few years ago  It stiffened up the wing nicely .On the down side although it prevented dings when i had an high speed"arrival" it left the resin cracked. and the glass lifted slightly.  Well stuck laminate stiffens the wing and is flexible..
    September 06, 2018, 18:26:13
  • DarkButterfly: I'm doing laminate, just put my order in for some, also got some balsa wood for the side parts, had to use a kitchen knife to seperate the foam from the busted wood
    September 05, 2018, 13:21:11
  • atomiclama: Thanks, can't decide on fibre glass or laminate. Like the idea of fibre for some reason, don't know why.
    September 05, 2018, 10:45:48
  • Bad Raven: Usng PolyC, yes
    September 05, 2018, 10:13:54
  • atomiclama: Anyone fibre glass coat their wings??
    September 05, 2018, 09:30:22
  • atomiclama: @DB well you obviously need a bigger motor and ESC, as flying slower is just not possible.  ::)
    September 05, 2018, 09:29:59
  • DarkButterfly: ~~
    September 05, 2018, 09:10:18
  • hoverfly: If you put a couple of coats of Eze Kote on the wing before the laminate it sticks really well ..no lifting.. :smiley:
    September 05, 2018, 08:47:37
  • DarkButterfly: If it makes you feel better, I’m going to completely refurbish my falcon Evo with new balsa sides and new laminate ~~
    September 04, 2018, 21:42:53

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: What to do with old theme parks?  (Read 581 times)

Offline Bad Raven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 623
What to do with old theme parks?
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:05:20 »
I can think of one use..............................   :evil ~~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43289004

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1185
  • Quads, lots of quads
Re: What to do with old theme parks?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:56:41 »
A health and safety inspectors wet dream.. :rofl:

edit......  when i gave been trawling Google Earth looking for decent photo sites it's quite surprising how many  golf courses there are, some of them in little clusters. The ratio of heads to land area is appalling, surely these could be put to better use even on a shared basis even without wearing ridiculous clothing and  bull$hitting about how well you can wack a ball.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 13:05:11 by hoverfly »
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 146
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 14:23:09 »
Just as an aside to this the Carousel that was for sale in Cleethorpes had a 180K reserve on it someone on line pressed to wrong button apparently and bought it whoops

Wouldn't want to be in his shoes explains to the missus that we need to move to a house with a much bigger garden to put it in lol.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 15:51:40 »
As a schoolboy we used to ride our bikes to the tree/scrub very bumpy land in the middle of the golf course by Mitcham Common and ride track scramble. We always walked the footpath across the course though, honest!  :rolleyes:

On EBAY buys, I was part organising a large Telephone and Postal vehicles rally, and was part day driving our 1937 P.O. Telephones Albion Pole Erection unit, a unique survivor not only of the workshop back but the only LWB chassis known to survive.   It survived in service till 1957, rear braked only!!!

There was to my surprise a much later Bedford TK  based unit there, all yellow, huge and extremely ugly. the owner said his dad used to drive TK's and when this one turned up on EBay no reserve with only a front view he got tempted so put in a stupid offer as a giggle and went away on holiday.....................

The rest of the story is obvious!!!

His wife was EXTREMELY upset, he said. As this thing had the TK army type high chassis, 4WD, was taller than a full on Fire Engine and had a massive hydraulic pole handling arm, I could see why.

It was like this but with all terrain chassis and wheels for country use:-

Might have been OK for getting drones out of trees??

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 630
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 18:50:06 »
As a schoolboy we used to ride our bikes to the tree/scrub very bumpy land in the middle of the golf course by Mitcham Common and ride track scramble. We always walked the footpath across the course though, honest!  :rolleyes:

On EBAY buys, I was part organising a large Telephone and Postal vehicles rally, and was part day driving our 1937 P.O. Telephones Albion Pole Erection unit, a unique survivor not only of the workshop back but the only LWB chassis known to survive.   It survived in service till 1957, rear braked only!!!

You can't post '1937 P.O. Telephones Albion Pole Erection unit' without any photos of it!!!!

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 19:57:36 »
You can't post '1937 P.O. Telephones Albion Pole Erection unit' without any photos of it!!!!

It had a vacuum brake servo......great? .........trouble was/is, note the single narrow rear tyres and high body, and the brakes were rear axle only.  Brake in the wet and the weight transfer from the rears could lock SO easily, and you would not be slowing down any time soon.  I did one part wet London to Brighton, and it wasn't fun in central London with the iggits swerving their ABS braked BMWs in front and jamming their brakes on to be first at the next lights.

The PO being very conservative, it had backup oil lighting, see the brackets either side under the (opening) windscreen.

Neat design for its day though, as the side tool lockers (all fully stocked to this day) opened up and down split to form a shelf. Imagine trying to use the offside ones nowadays!!  (or even in 1957).

On jobs lasting more than one day, the foreman was allowed to take his bike on board to ride home and back!!  Some towed a two wheel trailer with a pump to pump out manholes, etc in towns.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 20:14:18 »
If we are off Theme Parks and into Museums, etc, this was a regular drive and one of 15 buses I was custodian of for over fifteen years after retiring.

1920 Leyland, also rear brake only, and no power assist, but at least it had dual rear tyres (which took me six months to find a front pair stored in the 30's  "hidden" behind a garage in Belgium). Notice the very different diameter front to rear.  This vehicle was so heavy that you had to be doing 2 to 3 MPH to be able to steer AT ALL, so you'd better stop with the wheels pointing in the right direction! One of our brain dead drivers screwed up one day and stranded it till I came along with a hydraulic jack to lift the front and turn the wheels.   :banghead:

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 630
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 20:42:35 »
We have no clue how easy we have it these days..... :smiley:
Cheers for photos and descriptions.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 20:55:09 »
We have no clue how easy we have it these days..... :smiley:

So true, that Leyland gave me Tennis Elbow and Golfers Elbow at the same time until I worked out that at the 180 plus tight turn on site where you had to crawl you aimed for the very low edging stones which upset the front axle (no damping) enough to lighten the steering to wind it on and get around.

A woman accused me one day of "driving at her" when she stupidly walked out in front as I was slowing to a halt, so I got her behind the wheel and asked her to steer it away from the kerb. I then got her husband AND her to try turning the wheel.....at all.......they went off laughing..........................

Offline atomiclama

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Liked: 794
  • Uhh! What's that then, Oh! new project.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 23:18:07 »
Some one has a good idea of what to do

Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Offline iRobot

• Liked: 609
  • Leftover parts are just proof you made it better..
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 23:22:04 »
 ~~ made me chuckle seeing the Leyland ! Brilliant picture BR. You should visit the British commercial  vehicle museum (when it reopens), very interesting for anyone into that sort of thing.

BTW I'm Leyland born and bread lol,,,,,, i was born here, christened here, married here, my children christened here, I still work here, and I'll die here,,,,, and for anyone who's never heard of Leyland, its a nice little town in Lancashire  ;)

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 07:15:49 »
Brief urban history of that specific Leyland.

1920 - Single deck bus with Leyland "N" chassis, solid tyres (narrow, treadless) and oil lighting, built for 12mph limit, four gears all crash. Odd for its day as it has "modern" pedal layout, not RH brake pedal. RH gear lever in rigid gate. Reverse so long a move that you "disappear" below cab window while engaging!!!!
1928 - Rebodied (along with whole batch) double deck as seen, pneumatic tyres (wide grippy!!), electric lighting.
1935 - Chassis fitted under lorry body and used as breakdown, body sold (for £15 10s) to a lady who used it as a garden summerhouse.
1937 - Body covered with wooden over structure inc roof. Used temp accom (kitchen in cab area) during WW2
1940 - "Brakedown" (which had been Eastbourne Depot's) sold as lorry to Worthing Rural District Council, final fate unknown.

When body was found in early 70's purchase was negotiated and it was extracted from its over protection which had a new purpose built interior made.  Chassis sought but no "N" could be located, so a near fit "P" was found seven deep in a scrap yard and that was extracted and used. The two main differences were a lower gear lorry back axle and it was slightly shorter. The length loss was taken in a shorter internal cab, so modern drivers of more rotund dimensions get a black smear on their white shirt and a groove across their belly by the end of the day!!

While ideal for the Museum service (as pic) it is a right pain on public road (yes, I have driven it there!) since it was designed for top 12mph limit in those days and of the four gears, when travelling light, only the top two gears actually make any forward progress, and it runs out of usable revs by 18mph. Main brake is on the gearbox rear halfway down chassis fully exposed in wet weather so works via lots of joints and sloppy gears to give lots of play/shunt, and snatches badly when wet.  Handbrake is conventional but RH lever and usually used in preference to transmission brake.

VERY heavy in all controls, requires perfectly timed gear changes double de-clutch up and down, up using a clutch stop (which YOU have to time correctly). Clutch pedal so heavily sprung that holding it out beyond a few seconds is not an option, "cone" clutch plate, so either in or out, little slide to help changes.

And the pathetic iggits say "the good old days"!!!!!!

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 07:29:00 »
P.S. - It has two seats with the driver in cab, but these were limited to adult males "to avoid distraction" (with warning notice). They obviously did not consider those of alternative persuasion.