User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Bad Raven: MB - ??
    August 18, 2018, 16:32:23
  • Mike Bagnall: My taranis must be wrong or broken it's brand new
    August 18, 2018, 14:13:47
  • Reman: Weather's way too ropey to go flying near Bristol today, But it's not too wet to go wading through a muddy field to walk my Labrador though........ Damn it ! LOL !
    August 12, 2018, 11:17:55
  • Bad Raven: They flew quads and planes
    August 10, 2018, 12:59:11
  • Bad Raven: Took some boys flying, they got an hour and a half before the wetness loomed.
    August 10, 2018, 12:58:53
  • mo_miah: lots of rain yesterday with some localised flooding, some more rain today, quads broken anyway so no flying for me, need a new frame :(
    August 10, 2018, 10:06:02
  • hoverfly: Spoke to soon there is some strange wet stuff falling from the sky. and my runner beans are making slurping noises..... ::)
    August 10, 2018, 09:30:31
  • Bad Raven: Bring a sponge.......
    August 10, 2018, 06:07:43
  • hoverfly: Not a drop  here the garden is like a desert..
    August 09, 2018, 21:57:22
  • Bad Raven: BIG thunderstorm with lots of cloud to cloud red and the occasional very close ground strikes.
    August 09, 2018, 21:12:51
  • Clarkie 22: Bad Crash and a poorly rotor arm :/
    August 06, 2018, 18:31:53
  • Bad Raven: The screamer alarm went off, usually early warning, but nit this time, didn't make it back to patch.
    August 06, 2018, 17:35:29
  • Bad Raven: Think I ran this pack a little close, just had to put 2359 into a 2200 pack. OOPS!
    August 06, 2018, 17:33:21
  • Bad Raven: I think nthere's agreat similarity, both talentless and over hyped.
    August 06, 2018, 14:21:58
  • Bajadre: @ Reman yeah matey haha
    August 06, 2018, 14:18:59
  • shawdreamer: keep that up and the only thing you'll "get" is commited.
    August 06, 2018, 13:48:17
  • hoverfly: Weird that i get..marianne faithfull broken english..... :shrug: :shrug:
    August 06, 2018, 13:22:23
  • Gav: :hmm:
    August 06, 2018, 11:33:20
  • DarkButterfly: Nope, that's just you ::)
    August 06, 2018, 10:43:08
  • shawdreamer: nope..... thats erm....... probably just you :huh
    August 06, 2018, 10:37:01

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: The Whoover (or The Whoov)  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Bad Raven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 615
The Whoover (or The Whoov)
« on: February 02, 2018, 21:17:40 »
OK, we all know what a Tiny Whoop is, surely?

Maybe you have yet to meet the Whoover though.

Take one Tiny Whoop, maybe one with a broken frame and fit it into a bespoke hovercraft foam frame.

INSTANT fpv racer without the height issues many beginners face, and UK based supply (no connection)!

https://www.dronejunkie.co.uk/tiny-whoover-hovercraft-kit

Offline Bad Raven

Re: The Whoover (or The Whoov)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 21:26:04 »
Or if you want to go your own way:-

Offline Gavster29

• Liked: 46
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 21:46:28 »
Thanks Bad Raven!  :banghead:

Just ordered 2 of these.....   :beer2:

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 619
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 21:59:49 »
That is cool. I wonder how many you could make from your parts bin BR????

I wonder how well they would do over water with a bit of a protective coat of waterproofing on the electronics?

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:35:02 »
Thanks Bad Raven!  :banghead:

::)  Think nothing of it, it's a service I feel obliged to provide.....................  :evil

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:23:12 »
That is cool. I wonder how many you could make from your parts bin BR????

I wonder how well they would do over water with a bit of a protective coat of waterproofing on the electronics?

Well, Um, Er, ........................... (shuffle feet, avoids eye contact,  looks down, voice drops)

..................I have 12 on the way..........................   :azn :rolleyes:

~~ ~~

I have the now long ceased HobbyKing "Race" Hovercraft, had it years. A very different beast with two EDF brushless, one to lift, one to thrust via an in-duct rudder. It is relatively heavy foam with an ABS stiffener plate and carries an ABS body with FOD screens. It actually works quite well, and has survived many wall and obstacle beatings by friends and kids while they get used to not steering until its drifted wildly on throttle, or by throttling back so the nose touches to give some friction to turn around.  Mine runs using a Helicopter Throttle/Pitch setup to get the lift motor to start slightly before the thrust motor with a 2200mAh 3S. (told you it was different!!)

It ONLY operates over a smooth (dry!) surface, as the absence of a proper skirt precludes lift over even the slightest ripple (and it does not inherently float high enough ( i.e.  - it plummets!!    :blink   :rofl:).

The Whoover is a LOT lighter of course so the foam "might" float it, but I suspect that finding a material for a skirt that does not add too much weight and/or ground resistance, while limiting wind loss would be interesting if not impossible.   :hmm:

At the moment even the four original E010 I bought when they first appeared are ALL still OK as quads, this despite full on contact combat with them, knocking your opponent out of the sky, often achieved by sticking one of your motors into one of his fast rotating props!!

I had to repair one kids E010 yesterday as a motor wire had come off the FC board, but that looked very much like bad assembly soldering. Apart from that only one has been "broken" away from school, and the kid's younger brother says he manages to break EVERYTHING! He's certainly managed to break his Mardave V12 a few times, and THAT is quite something!!

At VIP5 the price of a E010 is so low that new is not an unacceptable cost, £6 for the laser cut foam, £9 for the quad, and I have several of the cased demountable camera combos anyway,  I mean, HOW much fun can you have for that low an investment??

Still OK but rarely used now is a couple of Nano QX, one that is blisteringly fast as it has black edition high kV motors already fitted (so that's MY hovercraft "done"!!   :cool: ) and an OK but redundant Nano QX FPV  :sick: :azn  After those I may have to think harder or buy if the kids have not managed to create a pool.

BTW, and off topic, despite CLEAR info and a direct link provided, TWO sets of parents bought their kids Mode 1 E010s..... :banghead: :banghead:  this to kids who struggled to learn Mode2 two stick operation for the cars, finally got there, and ......... :slap:

Offline Hozza

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Liked: 274
  • Meh!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 21:59:32 »
Mines done  :smiley:

Bloody fun I can tell you.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 22:35:18 »
Mines done  :smiley:

Bloody fun I can tell you.
Now we just need the vid  ::) ::)

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:18:00 »
And while you are waiting.................

Offline Hozza

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Liked: 274
  • Meh!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 08:26:47 »
Not the best footage but it give you the idea of how much fun it is :wack0

And because I've used a brushed FC it runs off my Taranis ~~

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 17:30:05 »
So, while I was waiting for the laser cut foams to arrive....................

I made one from some 6mm Depron and an old Blade Nano QX.

Apart from cocking myself up big time briefly and ending up with a reversed gyro on rudder it all went well. How?  Well why draw the wiring to remind myself when I had another Nano QX to look at.  Except, I'd forgotten that ages back the other one had gained hot motors and Blade use reversed wiring colours to direction.   :rolleyes:

I'd REALLY like to get hold of the complete iggits at SpektruHH/Blade who continue to issue reversed things from worldwide std, such as motor wire colours/rotation, reversed prop directions, Power plug polarity connection, expo +/- , etc

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 20:20:22 »
OK, Don't ask why its rotated 90, but no time to correct............!

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 21:04:42 »
OK, it's first "flight", a quick try FPV in my none too large kitchen.

It weighs in at only 22g, 29g with a 250mAh 1S (Tiny6) battery. 6mm Depron for all parts, some UHU POR, some Hot Glue. No attempt made to go away from plan or to "sharpen" items in airflow for better efficiency.

I used some old adhesive I was using way back under reinforcing tape on soarers to glue the paper plan on and that stuck TOO well to the foam, so I wet the paper and rolled off what I could.  Left a layer and the glue residue so IMO it therefore could be significantly lighter yet.

Rough bit of painting with Zip Posterman pens...............   :blink

Video has "noise", no time to add music, so mute sound, its 1080HD despite what YouTube might do to it (it was still loading as I wrote this!!)

Offline Gavster29

• Liked: 46
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 21:25:01 »
OK, it's first "flight", a quick try FPV in my none too large kitchen.

It weighs in at only 22g, 29g with a 250mAh 1S (Tiny6) battery. 6mm Depron for all parts, some UHU POR, some Hot Glue. No attempt made to go away from plan or to "sharpen" items in airflow for better efficiency.

I used some old adhesive I was using way back under reinforcing tape on soarers to glue the paper plan on and that stuck TOO well to the foam, so I wet the paper and rolled off what I could.  Left a layer and the glue residue so IMO it therefore could be significantly lighter yet.

Rough bit of painting with Zip Posterman pens...............   :blink

Video has "noise", no time to add music, so mute sound, its 1080HD despite what YouTube might do to it (it was still loading as I wrote this!!)

That looks so awesome I can't wait for mine to turn up!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 21:08:42 »
OK, No 2 finished and tested.  :whistling:

Same build, 6mm depron, but this time the guts is from an Eachine E010s inc the camera combo.  :cool:

Seems considerably faster, with better acceleration and higher lift, but since I can't drive two of them at once and only have my kitchen floor..............   

This one is better balanced and will "drive" over the carpet floor you see it pictured on.

Oh, and they DO float and go OK on (bath) water without a skirt.........................   ~~    :rolleyes:    :slap:

:hmm:   Shall I go with my wife to her club and "swim" tomorrow at 06:30??   :whistling:

ADDED:-

This one weighs in flight ready with E010 150mAh at 1g more, still only 30g
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 21:15:34 by Bad Raven »

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 20:40:53 »
Well, I think the school club kids enjoyed the first Whoover (flame finish, Nano QX works).

How do I know?

It ran battery straight after battery for an hour, while a few E010 and a couple of Hubsans flew around over it.

I got them flying the Whoover FPV, first on an oval and then on a slalom, timing each run, and the boy who professes not to like Quads much got a first and a second so won overall.

And now I'm just charging 38 batteries, that's how I REALLY know they liked the session!

The E010 powered one IS faster, and IMO approaching the max power/speed ratio that is sensible, as more only means wider drifting, wider radius turns, and no time improvement overall on the track size we have!

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:42 »
Update.

Monday morning I got to fly my two home made Whoovers against a flying buddy's E010 based "pizza tray" version. Bit of a laugh as his does not have a camera as yet, the result being it was blisteringly fast, near uncontrollable, and just a LITTLE prone to "take off" and back flip. 

I suggested after he kept losing out on duels that he taped a spare battery to the nose area, and that tamed its flight tendency nicely.

Eventually he knocked off one motor pylon, so I got in some much needed FPV lone practice, learning how much throttle and pre-turn needed to blitz drift the track end markers (each two hula hoops taped together to form a higher wall).

Today I am about to start building the two DroneJunkie "Whoovers" that arrived yesterday.  One will be std E010, the other will gain the parts from a NanoQX that a while back gained "Insane" motors.  Now. do I build one blue, one yellow, or do I mix and match parts??   :evil   I use to race RC Stock Cars and my colours were blue and yellow stripes, so there's history.

Yes, I KNOW that's a bad idea to use super powerful motors, I KNOW they allegedly don't like "too much" power, they certainly don't seem to NEED or be able to USE more power, but "someone" has to audit the statement, don't they??...........   :nananana:   ::)   ::)

Offline ebbo76

• Liked: 7
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 11:18:21 »
I need to order a couple of these for the kids!!

Whats the VIP5 thing you mentioned with the quad for £9?  what site is that, as I've only seen the E010's on amazon and ebay for £15-16. 

thanks

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:22:10 »
VIP5 is a buying level on BangGood, you have to buy lots and then you get a discount.
The E010 on BangGood is about £9 delivered. It will take 2 - 3 weeks to arrive though.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 17:46:37 »
The E010 is usually available from the Euro warehouse of Banggood and though more than CN warehouse, is still cheaper than EBay resellers.

(The JJRC H36 is the same quad, but differing colours)