User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Mike Bagnall: My taranis must be wrong or broken it's brand new
    Today at 14:13:47
  • Reman: Weather's way too ropey to go flying near Bristol today, But it's not too wet to go wading through a muddy field to walk my Labrador though........ Damn it ! LOL !
    August 12, 2018, 11:17:55
  • Bad Raven: They flew quads and planes
    August 10, 2018, 12:59:11
  • Bad Raven: Took some boys flying, they got an hour and a half before the wetness loomed.
    August 10, 2018, 12:58:53
  • mo_miah: lots of rain yesterday with some localised flooding, some more rain today, quads broken anyway so no flying for me, need a new frame :(
    August 10, 2018, 10:06:02
  • hoverfly: Spoke to soon there is some strange wet stuff falling from the sky. and my runner beans are making slurping noises..... ::)
    August 10, 2018, 09:30:31
  • Bad Raven: Bring a sponge.......
    August 10, 2018, 06:07:43
  • hoverfly: Not a drop  here the garden is like a desert..
    August 09, 2018, 21:57:22
  • Bad Raven: BIG thunderstorm with lots of cloud to cloud red and the occasional very close ground strikes.
    August 09, 2018, 21:12:51
  • Clarkie 22: Bad Crash and a poorly rotor arm :/
    August 06, 2018, 18:31:53
  • Bad Raven: The screamer alarm went off, usually early warning, but nit this time, didn't make it back to patch.
    August 06, 2018, 17:35:29
  • Bad Raven: Think I ran this pack a little close, just had to put 2359 into a 2200 pack. OOPS!
    August 06, 2018, 17:33:21
  • Bad Raven: I think nthere's agreat similarity, both talentless and over hyped.
    August 06, 2018, 14:21:58
  • Bajadre: @ Reman yeah matey haha
    August 06, 2018, 14:18:59
  • shawdreamer: keep that up and the only thing you'll "get" is commited.
    August 06, 2018, 13:48:17
  • hoverfly: Weird that i get..marianne faithfull broken english..... :shrug: :shrug:
    August 06, 2018, 13:22:23
  • Gav: :hmm:
    August 06, 2018, 11:33:20
  • DarkButterfly: Nope, that's just you ::)
    August 06, 2018, 10:43:08
  • shawdreamer: nope..... thats erm....... probably just you :huh
    August 06, 2018, 10:37:01
  • Reman: Is it just me, Or whilst browsing Tattu packs online, Does anyone else get that song "All the things you said" stuck in their mind ? :)
    August 06, 2018, 09:57:59

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Redmi note 4x phone?  (Read 564 times)

Offline Reman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 185
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
Redmi note 4x phone?
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:07:45 »
Simple question.

I'm currently still using my old and trusty Galaxy note 3 since none of the notes since have fulfilled my requirement of having a removable battery (Except the 4 which wasn't a big enough upgrade to warrant the price).

I'm now resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to get a phone with built in battery, But I tend to be pretty hard on phone batterys. Because of this I'm not going to spend 900 on another samsung note that will end up needing a costly battery replacment within 2 years....... This brings me on to the Redmi note 4x.

On paper it looks pretty impressive, The reviewers verbally ejaculated about how good it was, And you can pick them up for less than 150 quid. At that price I could buy one, Use it for 2 years, Then replace it. The design may be a year old now, But it's still a big step up from a 4 year old Samsung.

But, are they REALLY any good? I use my phone mainly for GPS navigation, web and emails, Plus the odd 2d/3d game.

Anyone got any reasonable duration first hand experience of them?
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline Reman

Re: Redmi note 4x phone?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 18:44:26 »
That good huh? ☺
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline apollo7

• Liked: 706
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 19:02:39 »
I have heard them referred to as "The Chinese Apple android phone" due to the build quality, and nothing wrong with Chinese phones, (bear in mind most phones are made in China) i am on 3rd cheap phone, 1st was a Cubot P11, over 2 years old and still works, next was an Ulepone S8 pro, still works but i bought another Cubot the note plus as i thought i had a problem with the ulepone
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 619
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 21:37:25 »
Did you get one? They seem to get good reviews but have no official UK distributor/seller. Only thing I have noticed is that you need to check which 4G bands it supports and there are different versions. I think the Global version supports the bands needed in UK for 4G.

Offline Reman

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 23:54:32 »
Did you get one?

Well, I watched about another hundred million YouTube videos and read shed loads of written reviews about this phone that all pretty much ended in the product testing equivalent of them dry humping the Redmi 4X in a seductively lit room whilst a Barry White record plays softly in the background.......... So yeah, I've ordered one. :)

Only thing I have noticed is that you need to check which 4G bands it supports and there are different versions. I think the Global version supports the bands needed in UK for 4G.

Yep, I made sure it was the global ROM version I ordered, and that it supports the UK and my service provider. It seems the biggest kick in the balls if you get one of the China ROMed versions is that the OS is messed about with to prevent Google play being installed !?!?! I'm guessing the Chinese government doesn't want it's people to have access to Bubble Witch 3 or something. Probably worried that playing westen games might bring on a civil uprising or something........... Oh, Or it might be something to do with every uncensored news network in the world having a Google play app? Yeah, That might be it.  :)

Anyway, The one I ordered is the Redmi Note 4X "Fingerprint" with 4GB of RAM, 64GB of ROM, An 8 core Snapdragon 625 processor, And a lightly fecked about with variation of Android 6 called "MIUI V8", All for the princely sum of £136.24.

It seems that MIUI V9 is already out for the 4X, and some website say v10 isn't meant to be that far off, So as long as the OS isn't totally messed up (Like the final half finished abomination of an Android release Dell vomited up for the "Streak 5", With features like half the sub menus on the english version being in Korean !?!?) it should do me for a couple of years.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 00:41:53 »
I am interested in seeing how you get on with it. I have Vodafone Smart ultra 6 and it has been good over last couple of years but is getting a bit worn. I don't push phone hard or play games so just want one that works well without huge price tag.
Let us know how you get on with it if you can?
Hope the import duty gods are smiling on you.

Offline Reman

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 06:01:54 »
I am interested in seeing how you get on with it. I have Vodafone Smart ultra 6 and it has been good over last couple of years but is getting a bit worn.

I'm sitting not 2 feet from an Ultra 6 at this moment. Work got them to replace the worst of the bug riddled Ultra 5's that only lasted about 6 months before the touch screens started getting temperamental. Vodafone so thoughtfully said "User damage" to nearly all of them and only fixed/replaced a couple under warranty (Despite phone related forums being full of people having the exact same screen fault !!!). The 6 has actually been a pretty good phone. The biggest problem it's got is it keeps ringing and saying "Just to let you know, We've added a couple more jobs to your day". :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 22:05:47 by Reman »

Offline apollo7

• Liked: 706
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:01:42 »
I'm sitting not 2 feet from an Ultra 6 at this moment. Work got them to replace the worst of the bug riddled Ultra 5's that only lasted about 6 months before the touch screens started getting temperamental. Vodafone so thoughtfully said "User damage" to nearly all of them and only fixed/replaced a couple under warranty (Dispute phone related forums being full of people having the exact same screen fault !!!). The 6 has actually been a pretty good phone. The biggest problem it's got is it keeps ringing and saying "Just to let you know, We've added a couple more jobs to your day". :)

Funny thing i have a PDA in my wagon and that also rings to add more jobs during the day, how strange
Who did you order from, Gearbest seem to have a nice plan where they put the value as $19.99 and you then dont pay tax, found them pretty quick (other than the Xiaomi MI drone)
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline Reman

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:43:32 »
Who did you order from, Gearbest seem to have a nice plan where they put the value as $19.99 and you then dont pay tax, found them pretty quick (other than the Xiaomi MI drone)

Went with BangGood. They seem to mark most things as "Electronic components" and "$15". :)
We'll see what happens.

Funny thing i have a PDA in my wagon and that also rings to add more jobs during the day, how strange

My PDA doesn't ring, So they call to say "Look at the PDA! We've just screwed you over a little bit more with a couple extra hours of work. Anyway, We're all off home now. HAVE FUN !". :(

One slightly amusing thing with connection to our works PDAs though, When mine was sent to me they forgot to remove the data transfer cable from the box. This ment I could tweak a few things on them. One tweak I did to a loan PDA before sending it back (Mine was away having a board replaced after it stopped turning off) was to rename all the "Action performed" sound files to have "old" on the end to disable them, Then replace them all with appropriately named copies of other MP3 clips. I remember that every time it scanned a barcode it would produce the Wilhelm scream, And a critical error would have it playing "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" by The Animals....... IN FULL !!! Once done and tested I boxed it up and sent it back to head office so they could issue it to whoever next needed a loan unit. I'm still quite annoyed that I never heard anything more about that PDA through the company grapevine. :(

Offline Reman

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 22:05:07 »
Well, The tracking just updated to say my new phones in the UK, left Heathrow, and is on route to the Bristol sorting center.
I'm pretty sure from past experience that if it was going to get hit with import duty it would have taken longer to clear Heathrow....... So I might have got away with it.  ::)

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 22:34:24 »
Don't forget to let us know how you get on and how it compares to your Ultra 6.

Offline Reman

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 23:57:21 »
The way works been messing me about lately, I may soon be deciding to test how well their Vodafone Ultra 6 stands up against being repeatedly smashed into a managers head ! :angry:
 :slap:

The Ultra 6 doesn't actually feel like a particularly bad budget smartphone, But it definitely doesn't feel as well thought out or made as Samsungs lineup of two years back (When the ultra 6 was for sale)....... but then again, it could be had for free on quite a few 2 year Vodafone contracts, so it was worlds ahead of anything else a network operator was going to hand out for nothing up front.

If it had a removable battery I'd probably have got one as a personal phone to replace my aging galaxy note 3 (Despite up until now being quite a loyal samsung phone fanboy). But like pretty much all smartphones now, the ultra 6 turned out to be just another disposable "Sealed for life" budget phone....... But at least it wasn't expensive enough to hurt too badly when the battery got worn out and you needed to replace the whole phone.

That's the general idea behind ordering a Redmi Note 4x. Use it for a couple of years, then when the battery starts getting too tired to cope with, Buy another good but cheap smartphone and chuck the old one in the incinerator (best way I've found to permanently destroy data)........ Repeat until Samsung realises that the sort of customers who wanted their flagship phone also wanted it to have swappable batteries !  :smiley:

Offline Reman

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 22:58:42 »
Very quick reply (Will elaborate when I've more time). The Redmi note 4X turned up today, and so far it seems to be a pretty impressive upgrade compared to the Ultra 6. It feels well put together, and works fine. Only real problem so far is that various system settings in MIUI V9 aren't where I'm used to finding them in Android 5.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 21:37:51 »
Very quick reply (Will elaborate when I've more time). The Redmi note 4X turned up today, and so far it seems to be a pretty impressive upgrade compared to the Ultra 6. It feels well put together, and works fine. Only real problem so far is that various system settings in MIUI V9 aren't where I'm used to finding them in Android 5.
Reman how are you finding the phone?

Offline Reman

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 22:29:55 »
I still haven't put it into full time service yet. I need to setup a lot of software I use while working and I just haven't had time to go at it for the required couple of hours. Work occasionally say annoying crap like "So and so's works phone's broken and his personal phones out of credit...... So just give him your company phone for the day".  :angry:
If I kept all the software manuals and configuration details I've created on my works phone (Plus several bits of software that allow me to do some pretty intrusive work related things on corporate networks) I'd be reasonably fecked on those days. :)

So far I've just been playing with the Redmi every once and a while.
The battery life seems acceptable so far, And the screen looks a lot crisper than the Ultra 6's. It plays films fine, With reasonably loud audio too. There's nothing it does astoundingly better than the Ultra 6, But almost everything does seems to be better by a noticeable margin, The only exception is the camera. That doesn't seem to be particularly good. It almost looks like it's using a lower spec CMOS element and interpolating the image to create a higher pixel count. :hmm:
I'm impressed by the WiFi connection though. Up here in my bedroom both the Ultra 6 AND my Galaxy note 3 struggle with WiFi and spend a lot of the time losing and regaining the connection, The Redmi seems to be rock solid.

But once again, I need to sleep, So I'll end this here until I've had chance to play with the phone some more.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 22:43:14 »
Cheers for the update. Having fun with the Ultra 6, can't get it unlocked..... Battery life is getting poor so either have to install new battery and keep it going for a while longer or bite bullet and get something newer.
Thing that puts me off is setting everything up again, all the usernames passwords etc.....
Wish there was something like a proper backup and restore system. Why Google never put a proper system backup and restore function into Android is a mystery to me.

Hopefully work will give you a break. It's always the best employees that have the greatest loads put on them......
Thanks.