User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • Mike Bagnall: My taranis must be wrong or broken it's brand new
    Today at 14:13:47
  • Reman: Weather's way too ropey to go flying near Bristol today, But it's not too wet to go wading through a muddy field to walk my Labrador though........ Damn it ! LOL !
    August 12, 2018, 11:17:55
  • Bad Raven: They flew quads and planes
    August 10, 2018, 12:59:11
  • Bad Raven: Took some boys flying, they got an hour and a half before the wetness loomed.
    August 10, 2018, 12:58:53
  • mo_miah: lots of rain yesterday with some localised flooding, some more rain today, quads broken anyway so no flying for me, need a new frame :(
    August 10, 2018, 10:06:02
  • hoverfly: Spoke to soon there is some strange wet stuff falling from the sky. and my runner beans are making slurping noises..... ::)
    August 10, 2018, 09:30:31
  • Bad Raven: Bring a sponge.......
    August 10, 2018, 06:07:43
  • hoverfly: Not a drop  here the garden is like a desert..
    August 09, 2018, 21:57:22
  • Bad Raven: BIG thunderstorm with lots of cloud to cloud red and the occasional very close ground strikes.
    August 09, 2018, 21:12:51
  • Clarkie 22: Bad Crash and a poorly rotor arm :/
    August 06, 2018, 18:31:53
  • Bad Raven: The screamer alarm went off, usually early warning, but nit this time, didn't make it back to patch.
    August 06, 2018, 17:35:29
  • Bad Raven: Think I ran this pack a little close, just had to put 2359 into a 2200 pack. OOPS!
    August 06, 2018, 17:33:21
  • Bad Raven: I think nthere's agreat similarity, both talentless and over hyped.
    August 06, 2018, 14:21:58
  • Bajadre: @ Reman yeah matey haha
    August 06, 2018, 14:18:59
  • shawdreamer: keep that up and the only thing you'll "get" is commited.
    August 06, 2018, 13:48:17
  • hoverfly: Weird that i get..marianne faithfull broken english..... :shrug: :shrug:
    August 06, 2018, 13:22:23
  • Gav: :hmm:
    August 06, 2018, 11:33:20
  • DarkButterfly: Nope, that's just you ::)
    August 06, 2018, 10:43:08
  • shawdreamer: nope..... thats erm....... probably just you :huh
    August 06, 2018, 10:37:01
  • Reman: Is it just me, Or whilst browsing Tattu packs online, Does anyone else get that song "All the things you said" stuck in their mind ? :)
    August 06, 2018, 09:57:59

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Wildthing 46 build  (Read 2766 times)

Offline apollo7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 706
Re: Wildthing 46 build
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 19:48:45 »
Did you give the foam a wipe down to remove any grease or dust. I've been using the other half's nail varnish remover after testing it on a scrap piece.

I sanded it then hoovered it as per instructions
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground

Offline apollo7

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2018, 05:11:51 »
this plane has found a new home now
DJI P3......home build AQ600....Ranger 1600...2x Wing wing Z84....Wildthing 46 in build

Offline Bad Raven

• Liked: 615
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2018, 08:15:27 »
Shame you have been put off covered EPP models.     :(     

I have just got my JW60, Slipstream and WT46 out and charged, as I'm off to the South Downs to get cold!  :rolleyes:

The WT46 has colour faded a little on the overall red tape through being in the sun but using "77" adhesive under the reinforcing tape and gluing in the spar (I cannot for the life of me understand SAS's advice on either!!) it has withstood many sessions inc the rough and tumble of full on combat and even today, around 15 years on from memory, the original tape adhesion is still tight and complete.  The Slipstream is eight years old, the JW four.  The Slipstream is finally showing some yellowing of the white colour tape used and in the Summer lull in winds (hopefully!) will be recovered, though it looks like the under tape is still good.  We'll see when I start pulling the top tape off!!  :laugh:

Offline trebor

• Old boy
  • Liked: 122
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2018, 08:27:26 »
Looking at 4Maxs flying Yeti the instructions show spray glue to be used on the wing for tape to stick to and I think they use the same foam (could be wrong)? Wish I'd have used some now on mine.
Bad Raven, where on the South Downs do you go flying ?

Offline apollo7

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2018, 16:43:27 »
I did another of my famous uturns, and after a chat with the person that was going to get it for free he talked me into keeping it and having another go at the taping, i have just finished stripping it, and surprised to say it came of with minimal foam loss, just a few tiny bits that will make no difference, will try and find some spray adhesive, before re covering

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 619
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2018, 17:03:16 »
Always good to sleep on it. Glad to hear you are not giving in. Don't forget to post picys  ::)
Good Luck, hope it goes well.

Offline MP66

• Site Sponsor
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2018, 17:34:53 »
I have about 7 slopers but still got a Wildthing last year along with a friend..

It flys great and i spent ages flying it over other models.. I am still waiting for a nice day to maiden my glass model but the Wildthing is deffo going out every time i go to the slope. It's just a shame it is such a trek from central Birmingham  :(

<br /><br />
This is getting expensive!

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2018, 18:21:23 »
If you feel any of the bits missing need filling, the superlight stuff they sell in normal DIY stores is great. It's given various names but the way to tell if it the right one is to lift the pot, if it feels like they forgot to fill it, it's the right stuff.

Years ago my taped red and yellow very fast delta was on a screaming dive into a low fast gliding pass but when I throttled up to climb out again it suddenly went white, followed by snow falling.  The motor mount had sheared and the toothpick prop doing some phenomenal revs had swung round, contacted the trailing edge and stripped a large part of the covering into a tangled mess, which then battered and chewed the foam.

It was flying again with some filler and a re-cover (with a better motor mount!!) very quickly after.

Offline apollo7

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2018, 18:35:17 »
If you feel any of the bits missing need filling, the superlight stuff they sell in normal DIY stores is great. It's given various names but the way to tell if it the right one is to lift the pot, if it feels like they forgot to fill it, it's the right stuff.

Years ago my taped red and yellow very fast delta was on a screaming dive into a low fast gliding pass but when I throttled up to climb out again it suddenly went white, followed by snow falling.  The motor mount had sheared and the toothpick prop doing some phenomenal revs had swung round, contacted the trailing edge and stripped a large part of the covering into a tangled mess, which then battered and chewed the foam.

It was flying again with some filler and a re-cover (with a better motor mount!!) very quickly after.

The bits that came away are no problem, this will not be the neat and tidy build that i had first planned, instead it will be a bit of a bodger, i am being told DO NOT use spray glue and dont clean the foam with meths, so as thats from the horses mouth i will give it a light sanding again and re tape it as per instructions (fun trying to tape a one piece wing)

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 18:43:30 »
Bad Raven, where on the South Downs do you go flying ?

North Downs - Thurnham, Colley are regulars.
South Downs - over the years most I guess, certainly just about every one and then some on Gary Parker's website, even "High n Over" now removed from the website (as the ancient Southdown Bus timetable and Destination panels had it!), but I most often drop in at Mill Hill, Shoreham as I can usually pause for an hour or so on a journey I regularly do and wife watches the birds. Several times there I have been flying all alone and a hawk inspecting the slope edge has come and hovered close enough to touch, magic!!

Offline apollo7

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2018, 19:11:48 »
North Downs - Thurnham, Colley are regulars.
South Downs - over the years most I guess, certainly just about every one and then some on Gary Parker's website, even "High n Over" now removed from the website (as the ancient Southdown Bus timetable and Destination panels had it!), but I most often drop in at Mill Hill, Shoreham as I can usually pause for an hour or so on a journey I regularly do and wife watches the birds. Several times there I have been flying all alone and a hawk inspecting the slope edge has come and hovered close enough to touch, magic!!

I would bet you have flown slope at Butser hill, i was a member of Meon valley soaring back in about 1984 ish used to fly a middle phase up there

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2018, 21:50:54 »
I would bet you have flown slope at Butser hill, i was a member of Meon valley soaring back in about 1984 ish used to fly a middle phase up there

Yup!  ::)

Was a member of Meon Valley about 2001, was even a member of the Leek and Moorland for a year, and have flown Lleyn peninsula, The Orme, Ivinghoe and many cliffs on the south coast and the south side of I.O.W.

Actually, that reminds, I was about to throw the WT off the sheer and quite high chalk cliff east of Freshwater Bay when a guy with backpack wandered up and stopped.  "What's that" he said, to which I gave my standard reply "Do you want the one minute, the five minute or the ' OMG, how long is this guy going to go on for' "

Having explained he still looked puzzled "So, you are going to throw it off the cliff?", "yes, very forcefully to get it out into the lift"

"And you can get it back??  Yes................

"This I have to see, can I watch please?"

About half an hour of flat out aerobatics later while chatting (it wasn't much more than 25mph base speed but the lift and compression was massive!)  he said he had to go, but was going Internet looking when he got home! So I landed it so he saw it could get back!!

I often wonder............................  ;)

Offline apollo7

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2018, 05:59:08 »
I have done a tidy job of re taping the wing, just waiting for the Yellow tape to add colour scheme, also started sorting servos and stuff, would have got more done but my car engine has killed itself so had to sort another car, this was a priority

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2018, 07:32:56 »
Oh Dear.....................

With regard the WT, no thoughts now of preservation, its only a foamie, you can fly it like you stole it.

(I once bought a 26cc Petrol "Edge" plane from a fellow club member to comments about buying it "in its condition" as it had a couple of repairs, my thinking was I was not worried about spoiling its looks and could thrash it from the get go!!)

Offline apollo7

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2018, 16:58:32 »
Oh Dear.....................

With regard the WT, no thoughts now of preservation, its only a foamie, you can fly it like you stole it.

(I once bought a 26cc Petrol "Edge" plane from a fellow club member to comments about buying it "in its condition" as it had a couple of repairs, my thinking was I was not worried about spoiling its looks and could thrash it from the get go!!)
the way i fly, you will think i stole it lol, any idea for a starting point on low rate settings, dont want wild acrobatics just steady flying on low?

Offline apollo7

« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2018, 20:12:21 »
Having a bit of a lull, cant help feeling Planes are just to much trouble, to easy to crash, very tempted to sell the lot and just stick to multirotors

Offline trebor

• Old boy
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2018, 23:02:26 »
Get yourself somthing normal like a Multiplex Funcub, can be easy to fly or you can do a few tricks with it but at least you will learn the basics and it's tough. I enjoy flying mine most of the time, flys fast, flys slow, hovers in the wind can't ask for more.

Offline apollo7

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2018, 07:12:10 »
not buying any more planes, and i have the Volantex firstar 200 as a trainer, i guess when and if the weather improves and i can actually get out i will be a bit happier about the planes, but still tempted to get rid

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1145
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2018, 10:12:08 »
Hang in there ,  if you get rid you will regret it.Summer is approaching and floating around a plank in a gentle breeze catching the odd thermal is so relaxing. Planks don't have to be flown at full mambo, only enough air going over the wing to keep them up.  Properly trimed   if you let go of the sticks it should almost sort itself out. Most f/ups are caused by over controlling  at speed , panic ye not... :beer2:
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline trebor

• Old boy
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2018, 12:21:37 »
I just finnished putting together my first glider, Phoenix 2000 with a variometer in it. Can't wait for some sun and listening to the beep,beep beep and boooop boooop noises.

Offline apollo7

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2018, 15:05:12 »
Just at present i cant help feeling sell it all and just keep the Z84 sloper, hoping to get the phantom out for a wizz about over the field

Offline hoverfly

• Liked: 1145
  • Quads, lots of quads
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2018, 19:40:36 »
Just at present i cant help feeling sell it all and just keep the Z84 sloper, hoping to get the phantom out for a wizz about over the field

Have we got to send "The Boys" around to  give you some
   "Encouragement Therapy".... :whistling:
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

Offline apollo7

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2018, 21:24:06 »
Have we got to send "The Boys" around to  give you some
   "Encouragement Therapy".... :whistling:
might not be a bad idea, at least i had a fly with the phantom........and right enjoyed it, plus i remembered i have another wing kit ordered and that should be here soon now, a cloud raptor 1000m

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2018, 22:02:22 »
I avoided Slope Soaring for many years, though I did for many years "use" the wind for Windsurfing (ending up a RYA Race Coach) so I knew how to "read" variable wind and weather conditions.

Then one day getting towards twenty years ago now I decided to give it a try, and took an existing "prop in slot" delta wing, taping over the slot (and prop) to legalise it at the site I was going as it was strictly "no power".

With trepidation I complied with local posted rule and phoned ATC for the airfield way below not in line of sight but on the same landowners land, to be met with a cheery voice, thanks for notifying, a reminder not to go above the TV tower in height, and he even offered me good luck!!!  WOW!

All alone on site, I took a deep breath, and lobbed it hard off into a natural bowl in the Downs which had at least 25 mph flowing up it, this while wife sat in car and looked at the view across to the sea. At least half an hour of fast exciting and I like to think flowing aerobatics later, achieved in one continuous flight, I walked back from the bowl edge out of the main lift and landed it at my feet.

A second flight ensued before moving on.

The sillier than normal grin lasted for many hours afterwards.

You have to try it to know.........................................

Offline apollo7

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2018, 17:25:52 »
Okay so the main tape work is done, not 100% tidy, but who care, wont see the scruffy bits when its doing 100mph toward the ground, happy to say tape has stuck like a champ this time, might have this finished in a few days<br /><br />

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2018, 10:10:43 »
OK, a while back you asked about Elevon settings/Rates, so I have got my WildThing out, though you may not want to follow them!!!  :o

Flat plate elevons are by default usually aligned so the lower face continues the lower curve of the wing back from the T Edge, checked with a straight edge.  This if no other statement on reflex from maker.

What follows is my settings, though how these would fare with a "normal" pilot is hard to estimate.

Mine is actually aligned to continue the curve of the UPPER face, but that is unusual and probably as a result of me liking them very nervous, so quite a rearward CG!  I also have Elevon travel NOT shared 50/50 as default, mine are 100 each, so if on full up aileron in high rate, only the non-up elevon can move up! This is very extreme but designed to be able to brake/stall a wing or twitch violent moves during Combat, which is pretty much all I use it for!

Throws, measured at the rear edge of the 70mm deep elevon inboard end by the servo horn area (check yours if working from up/down measurements as they might be different depth and of course that alters measured throw!)

Aileron Triple Rates:-  50mm, 40mm, 35mm up from rest, same throw reversed but reflex alters distance travel.

Elevator Triple Rates:- 50mm, 40mm, 30mm up from rest, same throw reversed but reflex alters distance travel.

I have listed these not as a recommendation but as an indication on what you CAN get away with if brain removed before flying!

What does Alan/SAS say now?

As a start point suggestion if no better data I'd set elevon mix to 50/50, and Aileron each way 35, 30, 25, Elevator 25, 20, 15 with a start of 30% expo on both. This should be gentle but positive enough for test flight till you decide what suits you. 1st launch on Med rates.

Offline Bad Raven

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2018, 10:18:29 »
Forgot to say, with slope wings its best to separate the rates each to a switch, NOT use composite on one switch.

As the wind rises you may need less elevator but the same aileron, for example.

Offline apollo7

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2018, 18:26:37 »
Thanks Bad Raven, when i finish it i will come back to this for a basic set up, i flew my Z84 sloper tonight and was surprised to find i did not have enough authority on the ailerons had to up the rates and use high rate, but was not enough lift to really get it going

Offline apollo7

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2018, 19:23:49 »
Its finished, still dont like it, think i will be quite happy to crash it just to get shot of it, but here is the scruffiest w<br /><br />g ever built

Offline trebor

• Old boy
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2018, 19:28:10 »
Won't look so bad when it's up in the air ! 👍