Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 08:35:12

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

ESC placement.

Started by Reman, Saturday,December 02, 2017, 22:58:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Reman

Just a quick question.
As my 450 hex is too big to transport in my car I've been meaning to make a folding Y6 frame to transfer everything into, But I just can't seem to get started on that, So I've just gone and ordered a cheap 900mm folding tricopter frame to modify instead.

Anyway, I'm intending to cut the arms down a little to make it a bit more compact when folded, But the motors are still going to be a fair way from the FC. So, I'm just pondering where would be best to put the ESC's? Is it better to have them at the motor end of the arms in the moving air, but having long power and signal wires? Or would they be better mounted close to the frame body and having long motor wires?

At the minute I'm thinking that I would probabbly be better having them mounted near the motors so I can just run one pair of (Reasonably chunky) power cables to each pair of ESC's, But that would also mean having pretty long signal wires and I don't know if that could allow interference to become a problem.

What's everyone else doing?
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Reman

I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

hoverfly

If  are planning on lots of hard flying i would mount the esc on the arm to help cooling if you are using as a photo platform put them in the frame as space dictates. I have a/c  with both methods and have had no problems, the length of signal cable will not be a problem .
Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

atomiclama

Just mount them wherever is most convenient, if there is a long power cable run to the ESC consider putting extra caps on the ESC, can help prolong the life of the ESC.
Wasdale X, Ow that hurt

Bad Raven

Lifted from another forum:-

What I learnt from almost 30 years of electric flying is to keep the wires from battery to ESC as short as possible.
The ESC operates better with a stable voltage and less RF is emitted. If long power wires is required, additional low ESR capacitors should be added close to the ESC. If not, the already mounted caps in the ESC might get overloaded. Overloaded caps is one of the most common reason of ESC’s suddenly bursting into flames. When the caps gives up, very high voltage switching spikes will destroy the FETs and people normally think it was an overload of them.
I have used up to 2 m long cables between motor and ESC. You might think that the motor wires would emit more RF but that is not the case. Because of the motor inductance, the high frequency content is low. It is in any case a good idea to twist the motor cables (as well as the power cables) to balance out magnetic fields.

Reman

OK, After reading your replies I'm now thinking that inboard ESC's (With the longest cables being between the motors and ESC's) will probabbly be the best way to go.

Thanks for the info guys.