Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,April 30, 2024, 05:05:43

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,196
  • Latest: Skyflix
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 18
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Noob about a month in and just wrecked my Runner 250r

Started by fix3r, Monday,November 13, 2017, 21:41:55

Previous topic - Next topic

fix3r

Think the title says it all really!
And i was just getting a little more confident with flying round a very handy empty warehouse at work.
Just getting to the point of making banked turns in and out of the columns!

I'd gone through 2 batteries without incident and fairly well controlled (but forgot to put the damn sd card in the camera :banghead: )

Then it just all went to pot... :thumbdown:
Vid 1. Thought i'd give the goggles a try! kinda weird, hard to get orientated with no point of reference and clipped a light fitting not realising how high i was. Turned out to be quite a hard bounce on the vid when watching it back but thought i managed to save it from a 20' dead drop?
Well at least i now know to leave the goggles for outdoor use only!  :whistling:
https://youtu.be/Svi1FaLqLyE

Vid 2. What can i say.. Still feeling a little disoriented and :sick: from wearing the goggles for the first time and it just got away from me, breaking a prop (Dal 5x4.5x3)
https://youtu.be/8kC1DuifDUg

Vid 3. Put the original 5x4.5 Bullnose props back on!
Err Just didn't realise how much difference they actually make!  :o
Well thing just went round like a rocket and before i could reign it in shot over the cabin, rear ended a steel, rattled down the back of the cabin and that was that for the day!
https://youtu.be/4Ot0L1Vxgpg

So these are the only 3 incidents i have actually had to date (really glad i caught them on vid... Not!  :embarrassed ), and they are now the last with the early xmas pressie from the Mrs!
Scared to tell her  i'm gonna get :slap: :slap:
:hmm: Perhaps i could tell her it was attacked by a rabid seagull, she'd believe that right?  :shrug:

First 2 were not half as bad as they looked, nothing damaged other than breaking a prop on vid 2. but the last crash i think has finished it off:

Broke the camera - the lens fell out (broken right on the board where it mounts to the ccd sensor),
Damaged the rear right motor and that's now binding,
Broke 3 screws on the bottom frame (only 4 hold it on),
Broke 2 props,
GPS mounting arm broken,
XT60 on the main board is damaged! Board doesn't look cracked  :crossfingers: (subject to strip down and closer inspection) but it's definitely broken a solder joint as the power goes on and off when i wiggle the connector!

On the upside! as it was a rear end impact at least the FC didn't get smooshed by the battery, so at least i dont have a £70+ bill right off the bat  :blink

On the downside, just had a look at the spare parts... Still around £108 + P&P  :cry

I've been resisting looking on the builds pages but think its time to start reading!
I'm gonna be battering it about a fair bit from now on so will Really be needing a considerably more robust Quad (or maybe small Hex ;D) thats gonna be a lot cheaper to repair!

I'm thinking something along the lines of printed main frame and motor mounts with carbon tube?

P.s The vids are 'unlisted' Mostly so the Mrs doesn't see me destroying the Runner  :-/

shawdreamer

dunno what camera the runner's come with but the angle is terrible, even the smallest amount of upward tilt would have helped you avoid disaster there, a much wider lens might have been a great help too, yes a wider angle lens leaves you with edge distortion but a first time fpv'er really benefits from having that little bit more time to react.

as youve already destroyed the cam you might aswell consider those pointers when you build a fresh'un,  I use these with a wide angle for 250's when I intend to thrash them, they take a proper kicking when it goes wrong but give excellent picture quality.

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-1000TVL-13-CCD-110-Degree-2_8mm-Lens-Mini-FPV-Camera-NTSC-PAL-Switchable-p-1053340.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

decent price too but more importantly....no jello :frantic:.

as for the rest:

salvage whats usable and transplant into a cheap CF frame like a zmr250 that'll get you back in the air for minimal outlay. ~~
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
gLowRider250
SlimBuild250
zmrReaper250
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie
[url="https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs"]https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs[/url]

fix3r

I think that it will be very hard to transplant to a new frame, Its super proprietary!

I haven't pulled it apart yet, but just from what you can see, the esc's are direct connection to the main board with their own type of blade plug.
all the other modules, vtx, fc, rx, gps are all fpc ribbon cabled to the main board! as far as i can tell.

Even the cam is unusual, the sd card goes in the cam rather than the vtx board like the ones i've seen on BG
tbh, i think id be sticking with LOS for now and only using the cam for recording my fails!

Here is a pic of the esc
https://fpv.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Walkera-Runner-250-no4.jpg

Even the mounting screws for the main board are not normal! They are brass standoff's that are soldered to the board to make a captive nut of sorts  :huh
The one in the image just near the board end of the esc is actually soldered to the esc!

I'll hopefully get it pulled apart some time tomorrow, will take a load of pics too and hope for the best!
I may be able to butcher the board and solder on a more conventional jst type header socket and plug

Those vids really sucked! they make it look like i just opened it today and went 'hell yea i can fly, watch me... oops'
I was honestly doing way better before i tried fpv! i did manage a couple of runs snaking in and out of the 3 posts and back again (By no means graceful, but controlled), just wish i hadn't forgot the damn sd card

That does seem a really good price for a 1000tvl!
How do you usually mount it as it doesnt seem to have the normal pivot mounts like the other cameras do?

What do you meen by jello? i thought there was fairly little vibration on the buggered cam, its mounted in an antivibe cage on those little rubber barrel whatnots!
I think that first bump down actually knocked the camera down a lot, i did have it pointing up more but didnt want to over do it as i'm not exactly flying with the quad at 45 degrees just yet   :smiley:

Icefever

Smegging hell Fix....so sorry to see what happened matey.
Fingers crossed that you can hopefully do some sort of repair on it,  the pin connectors on the ESC should pull out by lifting the "tab"???? Then you could solder on more cable, then reuse??? If you wanted to use another frame ??

Untill you strip her down you won't know the full extent of the damage mate.  Like you said post a few photos and the guys may come up with idea's that may help.

:crossfingers: :hmm:

With all the beautiful things in the world,  only man could invent boredom.

VaNDAL_UK

Maybe it's better to buy a second hand 250R some times they go for under £150 then you'll have all the spares you need and extra.

Bajadre

hope the damage aint too bad there fix3r  :sweating:

got to give you props for learning to fly fpv inside and on concrete though  :o no messing about lol  :laugh:
I feel your pain remember first starting on fpv and couldn't even keep the quad steady at first even though I could LOS fine.
I think once you get throttle control sorted you wont be losing any height on those turns then  :beer2:

keep at it matey as the old saying goes practice practice practice  ~~
Emax nighthawk 280,Emax x4,Blade 350qx3,dx6 (gen2),fatshark doms v2.

fix3r

Quote from: Bajadre on Tuesday,November 14, 2017, 11:41:59
hope the damage aint too bad there fix3r  :sweating:

got to give you props for learning to fly fpv inside and on concrete though  :o no messing about lol  :laugh:
I feel your pain remember first starting on fpv and couldn't even keep the quad steady at first even though I could LOS fine.
I think once you get throttle control sorted you wont be losing any height on those turns then  :beer2:

keep at it matey as the old saying goes practice practice practice  ~~

Yup, No Fear... (Apart from fear of the Mrs when she finds out!)
If you wanna learn, learn the hard way then everything else is easy!

fix3r

Got it all stripped down, Took loads of photos.

So i'll start a new topic in a more relevant area and edit this post to add in the link

Edit:
http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=22363.msg202387#msg202387

Cheredanine

Problem remains the runner is not as robust as a normal racer, flying outdoors over soft ground will reduce the damage

VY Canis Majoris

i had orderd the exact same model but luckily i joined this forum and was advices to get a much more robust 250 racer made from parts that everyone knows and uses, sent the runner back and got a refund...

Two-Six

lol, oops  :laugh:

Why oh why oh why oh why oh.... didn't you fly it in a big field...

There is a lesson for life right there.

Poor you.

Nighthawk Pro, Trex 450 L Dominator 6 cell *FLOWN*, Blade 450-3D, MCPX-BL, MCPX-V2, Hubsan X4, Seagull Boomerang IC .40 trainer, HK Bixler, AXN Clouds fly,, Spektrum DX7, Taranis, AccuRC

fix3r

Simple answer is,
As am brand new to flying i started in a wind free environment to learn the controls first without needing to battle the wind as well, but i can get an hour or so to fly in there most evenings after work.
Living right on the NE coast of Scotland a 'suitably' weather permitting day to take it outside has not happened since about August!  :laugh:
The calmest day in the last 2 weeks according to the weather station was 6.4m/s  (12-13mph i think) and that feels a bit too much of a draft for me to give it a shot outside!

I get where you are coming from though!
Wide open space, soft landings (grass, cows, sheep) less chance of destroying it

Cheredanine

Interestingly if you use the right quad wind is less of a problem
A well tuned racer hold aspect pretty damn well in 20mph wind, only real impact is a tendency to drift, which isn’t particularly a problem unless you are trying to get through small gaps

fix3r

Cool, really thought they would suffer badly tbh
I would hardly call this well tuned though, nor the pilot :whistling:

I Managed to get through a 12" gap yesterday between wall and cabin  :rofl: