Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 15:01:37

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 31
Total: 31

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Help needed - KK2.0 Setup

Started by Avengerpenguin, Wednesday,April 17, 2013, 15:14:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Avengerpenguin

Hi all, am after some help, built my first quad the other day, have taken it out a couple of times but it appears to have a mind of its own, in almost every direction.

I changed from hard mounted KK board to mounting in the foam last night which appear to have calmed it down a bit, but nothing I seem to touch in the settings makes it any better.

I have tethered it today in the front room (windy out) and I am under the impression that I should be able to dial in a setting where it should hover, but at the moment I cant even fully let go of it.

I have tried to capture my antics on video

http://youtu.be/4ijV1nzQ408

Any help or points in the right direction would be appriciated

Biffa

That looks to me like the auto level is overcompensating - assuming it';s on auto level.

What settings are you using?
Steve

Gaza07

+1 I agree it looks like the acc isn';t setup correctly, have you set the copter very level then calibrated the accelerometer  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

Avengerpenguin

Quote from: Biffa on Wednesday,April 17, 2013, 15:53:05
That looks to me like the auto level is overcompensating - assuming it';s on auto level.

What settings are you using?

I have tried on and off auto, off AL seems worse but I assume thats because its not set up,

Started with these:
Roll/Pitch P-gain: 30
Roll/Pitch P-limit: 100
Roll/Pitch I-gain: 0
Roll/Pitch I-limit: 20

Yaw P-gain: 50
Yaw P-limit: 20
Yaw I-gain: 0
Yaw I-limit: 10

And have gone up to 45 p gain, which seems to help.  I gain doesnt appear to make any difference

Currently have auto level at 40 P and 40 I

Have done the spirit level set up 3 times now to no avail.

Biffa

Are you running v1.5 firmware?

My settings are as follows:

Roll/Pitch P-gain: 50
Roll/Pitch P-limit: 100
Roll/Pitch I-gain: 25
Roll/Pitch I-limit: 20

Yaw P-gain: 50
Yaw P-limit: 20
Yaw I-gain: 50
Yaw I-limit: 10

Self Level:

P-gain: 30
P-limit: 20

Might be worth doing a factory reset, re calibrating and chucking them in?
Steve

Avengerpenguin

Running 1.2 at the moment, due to not buying a flashing cable as my brother has one, just havent had time to get down to his place to pick it up.

I will try the reset option and see what it does

Balders

auto level really doesn';t work below 1.4.  Mine are 1.5 (has camera gimbal support) and it flies just great.

What esc';s do you have, and are they simonk flashed?  That can make a huge difference.  1.2 doesn';t cope well with flashed esc';s without large changes to the board settings.  Also, have you set throttle travel on the esc';s with the 1&4 button trick?

I can';t watch your video from work, but will take a look later on and offer any advice I can give.  They do fly great once setup right.  Here';s mine...

Quadcopter garden fun
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

Avengerpenguin

I did the ESC calibration, its using turnigy multistar ESC';s not flashed.

Any help greatly appreciated

dp106

Try upping the Igain from zero. When I started tuning mine with igain at 0 it behaved very strangely. Up them to 10 to start.

Avengerpenguin

Well, full reset, re-callibration, and it almost seems worse.

Took it outside on the driveway, wanders all random directions and constantly losing and gaining altitude.

Back to the drawing board

dp106

Are you still trying to do it tethered up? Not sure it will behave very well like that?

Avengerpenguin

It was better behaved (slightly) outside so you may be right, it was mainly coz it was so windy today and im on my 3rd set of props this week!

Just picked up some foam backed double sided tape so going to have another go at mounting the fc, see it that makes it behave better

Avengerpenguin

I did follow all the setup instructions, I have just remounted the FC for a 3rd time, and it appears to made a great deal of difference, although it is on stock KK settings now, probably needs a little tuning now.

Throttle response is still tough to balance, although I have reduced the throttle response to 65% and wonder if there are any benefits in upping this to gain more response.

dp106

Quote from: Avengerpenguin on Wednesday,April 17, 2013, 20:45:14
I did follow all the setup instructions, I have just remounted the FC for a 3rd time, and it appears to made a great deal of difference, although it is on stock KK settings now, probably needs a little tuning now.

Throttle response is still tough to balance, although I have reduced the throttle response to 65% and wonder if there are any benefits in upping this to gain more response.
Have you set minimum throttle to 20 in the misc settings? That seemed to help me a lot.  I think my throttle is still set at 90%, sure I read somewhere to leave that as is.  As I said before increase your I gains to 10 perhaps rather than 0.  I know it says somewhere to leave them at 0 while trying to tune the P Gain but I found it really difficult to control when they were set to 0.  I used double sided foam tape from my local pound shop to mount mine.  Taped to pieces together to get a thicker bit of foam but no idea if that made any difference  :smiley:

Avengerpenguin

Quote from: dp106 on Wednesday,April 17, 2013, 22:18:40
Have you set minimum throttle to 20 in the misc settings? That seemed to help me a lot.  I think my throttle is still set at 90%, sure I read somewhere to leave that as is.  As I said before increase your I gains to 10 perhaps rather than 0.  I know it says somewhere to leave them at 0 while trying to tune the P Gain but I found it really difficult to control when they were set to 0.  I used double sided foam tape from my local pound shop to mount mine.  Taped to pieces together to get a thicker bit of foam but no idea if that made any difference  :smiley:

Yeah, min throttle is set, motors didnt all start without it.  Backed my throttle off to 65% may have a go at raising it tomorrow, and then take your advice about the I gains when I can get it out in the open tomorrow.

I originally had the board hard mounted to the frame, and that was awful, then I used the foam container it comes in and cable tied it down to the top plate, but this seemed to allow the board to move slightly when the buttons were pushed, and I think this wasnt helping.  This eve I have double sided foam taped the foam container to the top, then double sided the KK into the foam and it seems pretty rigid.  I am hoping this is the best of both worlds.

Balders

What may help you is to tie two arms to pieces of string and suspend it that way, tethering is to a anchor point underneath is gonna cause all sorts of problems. 

Then set the board to + configuration which will allow you to tune its response whilst it revolves around the axis you';ve just created from tieing two opposing arms.  If you have a tale or something you can turn upside down, string it between the legs.

Seen a video of this being done, think it may have actually been Kaptain Kuk himself.
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

guest325

Quote from: Avengerpenguin on Wednesday,April 17, 2013, 16:55:26
I did the ESC calibration, its using turnigy multistar ESC';s not flashed.

Any help greatly appreciated
This could be part of your problem, my mate is running similar on a 330 quad when he flashed his esc';s it made a hell of a difference.

Avengerpenguin

Quote from: DarrellW on Thursday,April 18, 2013, 12:47:23
This could be part of your problem, my mate is running similar on a 330 quad when he flashed his esc';s it made a hell of a difference.

I ordered a couple of servo extension leads to bodge a flashing rig up, so when I have my brothers USBasp programmer I can flash the esc';s too.

Avengerpenguin

Well it seems to have paid off, took it out quickly today and despite loads of wind, she gets off the ground and is reasonably controllable given my massive lack of talent.

Still seems to require a lot of throttle variation, but maybe some more tuning can rectify some of this.

Thanks for all that helped and gave advice, now I just need to flash the KK, ESC';s and learn to fly!

quadcopter short test

dp106

I';ve got a very similar setup to yourself, KK2 board and multistar ESC';s.  I';ve flashed my KK2 to 1.5 but still waiting for the programmer for the ESC';s to be able to flash them.  I think the only real improvement I';ve seen in 1.5 is the auto-level.  I think it will be difficult for you to work out what the quad is doing at the moment if you have anything like as much wind as we have here at the moment.  I havent been brave enough to go out in it and leave auto-level on otherwise the wind affects the quad';s flight so much.

Probably need  to wait for a much quieter day before you can get it flying right.