Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 14:18:59

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

DJI Naza Assistant USB Driver Issue

Started by nate80, Thursday,July 27, 2017, 21:24:01

Previous topic - Next topic

nate80

Oh. My. Life.  You may have seen my other thread where I say how challenging I';m finding a F550 build that';s not exactly standard.  This is the kind of reason why.  I';ve just spent about 4 hours wrestling with my tablet computer and the DJI Assistant trying to get them to talk my my Naza-M V2.  Seemed to be a DJI driver issue because DJI didn';t pay Microsoft to sign it off.  A fairly complex problem made loads worse by the fact my Windows machine is an ASUS T300 CHI tablet with bluetooth keyboard, so the keyboard doesn';t work when you go to the BIOS etc.

So I';ve written a guide to resolve the issue for any other poor souls out there who have a tablet PC with or without Bluetooth keyboard (or a standard computer - that';s in there too).

NAZA ASSISTANT USB DRIVER ISSUE AND SOLUTION

First up, connect your DJI FC (flight controller) by powering on your multi-rotor, turning on your transmitter and plugging the DJI supplied USB cable into the port on the FC or LED module.  Now open the Naza Assistant software on your PC.

If the splash/welcome screen remains on the screen, the progress bar doesn't go past approximately 60%, and the word 'Skip' continues to be visible then, chances are, the DJI driver is not successfully installed.  To double check this click on 'Skip' and see if your transmitter and multi-rotor are recognised.  If not this confirms an error, which is likely due to the DJI driver being unsuccessfully installed.  Due to Windows update process this can happen even after your have previously been able to connect your DJI FC to your PC successfully.

To further confirm that the issue is due to a Driver error, click in the search box (bottom left, next to the Windows/Start button) and type the words 'Device Manager'.  Click on the 'Device Manager' result that appears.  On the following window that opens, with the DJI FC still connected via its USB cable, look down the list and click on 'Ports' to be shown the current USB devices in use.  One of the results should be your DJI FC.  If you remove the USB cable from the DJI multi-rotor one of the numbered COM ports should disappear.  Plug the USB cable back in again and check that the 'Port' title that reappears in Device Manager does not read 'DJI USB Virtual Com' (or something similar).  If it doesn't then the USB driver is either uninstalled or corrupt and needs installing again.

DJI really should have gotten the problematic driver signed off by Microsoft, but it's costs money, so we can only assume that DJI are tight.  Not good.

Fortunately there are a number of steps to resolve this issue dependant on whether or not you are using a Tablet device either without a Keyboard or utilising a Bluetooth Keyboard, or using a PC/Laptop.

You may want to grab a coffee first.  And a biscuit.  Or a packet of biscuits!

Ok?!  Here we go...

Method for Tablet with or without Bluetooth Keyboard
(When necessary you can use either a USB keyboard or the Tablets Touchscreen)

Firstly we must disable the requirement for Drivers we wish to install needing to be 'signed'.  This is a security measure designed by Microsoft that only allows authorised, or 'signed', drivers to be installed on a Windows machine.  To do this go to the Windows/Start button and select the 'Power' Icon. Now click on 'Restart' whilst simultaneously holding down the 'Shift' key.  Keep the Shift key held until the computer restarts and displays a screen with a blue background asking you to 'Choose an Option'.

Using the mouse or bluetooth keyboard (both of which should still be working) select 'Troubleshoot'.

Then select 'Advanced Options'.

Next select 'UEFI Firmware Settings' and click on 'Restart'.  The computer will then enter the BIOS menu.

At this stage the bluetooth keyboard may stop functioning so select options directly using the touchscreen.

Using the left/right arrow keys (or by touching the screen) select the page heading 'Security'.

Now use the up/down arrow keys to select 'Secure Boot Menu' and click 'Enter' (or tap the various words on your touchscreen).

Select the 'Secure Boot Control' command line and click on [Enabled].  Change this to [Disabled] and press 'Enter'.

Now press 'F10' (Save and Exit) and the computer will restart.

Secondly we must now 'Enable Test Signing Mode', which would not have been possible before we disabled the secure boot control.  Enabling test signing mode allows drivers to be installed which have not been authorised, or 'signed' off by Microsoft.  To do this press the 'Windows' key on your keyboard (or select the search box) and type 'CMD' (without the hyphens!).  Next hold down the 'Ctrl', 'Shift' and 'Enter' Keys which will open the 'Admin Command Prompt' window.  If Windows displays a message asking if you 'want to allow this app to make changes to your device', click 'Yes'.

The window that opens is the Command Prompt providing Administrator privileges.  Type the following command and then press Enter:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

Now Restart your computer to enter test mode.  When the computer has restarted you may see a 'Test Mode' watermark appear in the bottom right corner of your display.  Sometimes it does not appear, but from here on we will be able to install unsigned drivers.

The Third thing to do, if you don't already have it installed, is obtain the DJI driver.

Go to https://www.dji.com/naza-m/download

Scroll to the bottom of the page to 'Drivers' and download the EXE version of the 'DJI WIN Driver Installer'.  You can download the ZIP version if you prefer, but you'll need to uncompress it before it can be used.  Navigate to the downloaded driver file and double click it to run it and follow the prompts to install the driver which will be placed, by default, in the Program Files X86 folder of Windows operating system structure.

Now type CMD again (or click in the search box), type 'Device Manager' and click on the resulting 'Device Driver' option.  Once again connect your DJI flight controller (power up multi-rotor, turn on transmitter, plug in the USB cable), look down the list for 'Ports' and select it.  Make sure you know which displayed result is the DJI USB driver (removed and replace DJI USB cable if necessary) and then right click on it.

Select 'Update Driver Software'.

On the following window select 'Browse my computer for driver software'.

Next select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

On the resulting window click on the 'Have Disk' button and then click 'Browse'.

Navigate to the DJI driver by clicking on 'Look In' and selecting:

Local Disk (C:)
   Program Files (x86)
      DJI Product
         DJI driver2.02
            source64

Now select 'dji_vcom_driver11.inf' and click 'Open'.

On the following window click 'OK'.

Now click 'Next' and the driver will begin installing.  A window will probably appear that reads 'Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software', along with two options.  Click on 'Install this driver software anyway'.  The driver will then finish installing/updating successfully.

Now when you go to the Device Manager and select the Port category you should see that the port is correctly named 'DJI USB Virtual COM', which will now allow you to use the Naza Assistant with your DJI FC successfully.  You can check this by opening the Naza Assistant.  The splash screen should disappear and your multi-rotor and it's transmitter settings should be visible.

You must now Disable Test Signing Mode by going back to the command prompt with admin privileges (press the 'Windows' key on your keyboard, type 'CMD' and then press 'Ctrl', 'Shift' and 'Enter'.  Type the following command and then press Enter:

bcdedit /set testsigning off

Finally you should enable the secure boot control function by restarting your computer whilst holding down the Shift key and going through the directions provided earlier when disabling the Secure Boot Control function.  Follow the same instructions but 'Enable' the Secure Boot Control rather than leaving it disabled.

That's it.  You should now be able to use your DJI FC.   :smiley:

Method for standard PC/Laptop

Rather than putting the computer into Test Signing Mode you can

Boot your computer using the Windows/Start button whilst pressing the Shift key and, when it reboots and displays the 'Choose and Option' screen, select 'Troubleshoot', then 'Advanced Options', and then 'Startup Settings' followed by the 'Restart' button.

On the next screen, titled 'Startup Settings',  press the 7 or F7 key to select 'Disable driver signature enforcement'.

The computer will restart and you can now follow the guide above (Method for Tablet with or without Bluetooth Keyboard) from the "Third thing to do" portion of the guide (downloading the DJI USB driver - if necessary).

Once the driver is installed successfully you will just need to restart the computer and Windows will return to its standard settings, but you should still be able to use the Naza Assistant successfully as the DJI USB driver will remain installed and functioning correctly.

Bet you';re glad you grabbed the coffee and biscuits now!   ;)

DinsF550

Thanks very much Nate80.
I've been trying to figure this out for a few days and you're the only person who has this issue figured out !

ched

Quote from: DinsF550 on Thursday,April 15, 2021, 22:10:59 Thanks very much Nate80.
I've been trying to figure this out for a few days and you're the only person who has this issue figured out !

:welcome: That's an old post but great that it helped you. What have you got? A Flamewheel 550?
I try :-)