Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 02:21:48

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Hover Camera Passport - any UK users?

Started by lonedroner, Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 16:02:06

Previous topic - Next topic

lonedroner

I';m just about to take delivery of a Hover Camera Passport and would love to hear from any members who have experience of this drone and flying it in the UK. Please, no snarky comments from you ';big boy'; drone pilots - remember, we all have to start somewhere!  ;)

Mr Finch

I have only seen Casey Neistat play with one of these and not for very long.  Be interesting to see your results with it, that';s quite a lot to drop on a quad when you can pick up a Phantom for similar money though.

Depends what you expect to achieve with it.  I *think* this is the first selfie drone to make it to market but I stand to be corrected.

hoverfly

Reptile folder , alien 500 , F/ Shark Attitudes,
 .Tarot 650, Air-rio Kinetic.. DX9  Various wings and planks.. Taranis x9D+..Mavic..Armattan.. Chameleion...
Massive over draught.....

lonedroner

Quote from: Mr Finch on Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 16:11:19
I have only seen Casey Neistat play with one of these and not for very long.  Be interesting to see your results with it, that';s quite a lot to drop on a quad when you can pick up a Phantom for similar money though.

Depends what you expect to achieve with it.  I *think* this is the first selfie drone to make it to market but I stand to be corrected.
Thanks for the quick reply, Mr Finch. Yeah, it';s expensive but it fits nicely into my photographic system and - I';m hoping - is small enough to fly without incurring legal penalties!

There are other ';selfie'; drones around but the design and features of this one make it very interesting. Plus there';s the small fact that Apple have snapped it up to sell exclusively in their stores and online.

lonedroner

Quote from: hoverfly on Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 16:13:15
500 sobs... I don';t think so.. :rofl:
Haha, true but I think I';d be crying if I blew this money on a full spec drone only to have it crash halfway up a mountain or disappear into the distance never to be heard from again, as I';ve seen on several YouTube vids!  :o

At least the 20 metre limit of the Hover Camera drone means I can keep in close by and well within sight.  :smiley:

Cynabal

Wow 500 notes! could have built a nice drone for that + TX + Goggles  :o

ched

Quote from: lonedroner on Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 16:27:26
At least the 20 metre limit of the Hover Camera drone means I can keep in close by and well within sight.  :smiley:
Be very careful about statements like that!!! I am guessing it uses GPS, wifi, bluetooth?
I believe that some of the fly aways (of other quads) are caused by either loss of signal or somehow forgetting where take off point was!!! So this could still happen with your quad.

Read the instructions very carefully about calibrating and any other setup that is required. Be aware that if you are using wifi or bluetooth for control external signals can block or disrupt your signals, so make sure any fail safes are set.
I am not trying to knock your purchase as I know nothing about it, but it';s easy to become complacent that the device has built in limits (20M) make sure you know how to set and check them.

Happy Flying
I try :-)

Ern Stock

I have no idea what a hover camera passport is.
I do worry though when I read " at least the 20 m limit ...."
Is the craft physically tethered by chain / cable ?
Ok - seemed rude not to google it - at least it appears to have fully caged props - but none of the flyaways you refer to were intentional.
( edit - there , as I was typing Ched put the point far more eloquently
[emoji4])

ched

Quote from: Ern Stock on Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 21:02:47
[emoji4])
That is the first time in my life someone has ever said I was eloquently. ::)
Even if it was in jest.
Thanks very much  ::)
Happy Flying

ched

Just to add, it doesn';t technically matter if the props are guarded you must legally follow the law.
This is a very simplification: http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/
Flick through the images and ensure you are always safe and legal.

Stay Safe and Happy Flying.

topdonkey

Very cool idea, i like the guarded props, but can this actually be used anywhere legally ?, if your away from people and property surely you would want a longer range and then wouldnt need the prop guards ?, the law needs changing to be able to fully use this for what it is designed

Cheredanine

Quote from: topdonkey on Thursday,April 20, 2017, 14:20:55
Very cool idea, i like the guarded props, but can this actually be used anywhere legally ?, if your away from people and property surely you would want a longer range and then wouldnt need the prop guards ?, the law needs changing to be able to fully use this for what it is designed
Nope, there is no exception to the law for prop guards (prop guards wouldn';t stop it going through a windscreen or damaging a jet engine or causing injury or damage by dropping on something.

Read the law, check no fly zones, it is entirely feasible to have fun and enjoy it whilst obeying the law

lonedroner

Quote from: ched999uk on Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 20:56:46
Be very careful about statements like that!!! I am guessing it uses GPS, wifi, bluetooth?
I believe that some of the fly aways (of other quads) are caused by either loss of signal or somehow forgetting where take off point was!!! So this could still happen with your quad.

Read the instructions very carefully about calibrating and any other setup that is required. Be aware that if you are using wifi or bluetooth for control external signals can block or disrupt your signals, so make sure any fail safes are set.
I am not trying to knock your purchase as I know nothing about it, but it';s easy to become complacent that the device has built in limits (20M) make sure you know how to set and check them.

Happy Flying

It uses wifi and is controlled from a smartphone or tablet, there is no separate controller.

lonedroner

Quote from: Ern Stock on Wednesday,April 19, 2017, 21:02:47
I have no idea what a hover camera passport is.
I do worry though when I read " at least the 20 m limit ...."
Is the craft physically tethered by chain / cable ?
Ok - seemed rude not to google it - at least it appears to have fully caged props - but none of the flyaways you refer to were intentional.
[emoji4])
The Hover Camera Passport is a small drone. It weighs less that 250 grams. It cannot fly in winds above 6mph. It is not tethered in any way except the range of its built-in wifi (or 60ft according to the manufacturers). Its batteries last about 8-10 mins. It is designed to take pictures of people from close range and uses face and figure tracking to do that. I can fly it quite easily indoors. When not i use the rotor cages fold back against each other and the whole unit becomes no bigger than a paperback book.

lonedroner

Quote from: Cheredanine on Thursday,April 20, 2017, 14:35:03
Nope, there is no exception to the law for prop guards (prop guards wouldn';t stop it going through a windscreen or damaging a jet engine or causing injury or damage by dropping on something.
This drone is so light it';ll more likely bounce off a car window than do any damage and, as for jet engines, unless any airliners are flying below 60 feet they';d have nothing to fear from it.  :smiley:

ched

Quote from: lonedroner on Tuesday,May 02, 2017, 21:45:35
This drone is so light it';ll more likely bounce off a car window than do any damage and, as for jet engines, unless any airliners are flying below 60 feet they';d have nothing to fear from it.  :smiley:
As said, unfortunately there is no UK exemption for guarded props or low weight.
Bottom line is the law is the law.
Not trying to have a go at you just ensure you know what you are legally allowed to do.

While it may only have a 60ft range it can run for ';8-10mins';. So how far or high do you think it could go in 8-10mins if something happened to ';confuse'; it or the throttle got stuck?
Imagine if it flew off and hit someone on a motorbike on a motorway. They could swerve and cause an accident or worse!!!
Just playing devils advocate.

If multi rotors always did what the operator wanted none of us would ever crash  ::)

Always best to follow the drone code.

lonedroner

Quote from: ched999uk on Tuesday,May 02, 2017, 22:06:39
As said, unfortunately there is no UK exemption for guarded props or low weight.
Bottom line is the law is the law.
Not trying to have a go at you just ensure you know what you are legally allowed to do.
Curiously, what would be your interpretation of using a drone like this at a wedding?

ched

Quote from: lonedroner on Saturday,May 06, 2017, 20:46:42
Curiously, what would be your interpretation of using a drone like this at a wedding?
Sorry not to reply sooner. OK so this is my opinion not legal fact.
In very simple terms:
I would get permission from the venue/church owner to fly on their property (show them how safe your ';drone'; is). Then I would ask bride & groom if they were OK with your filming. Before I took off I would try and get everyone';s attention and inform them of your flight, you will be filming, and not to try and touch the drone.
Then I would film the wedding. Post the footage on youtube and tell bride groom etc.....

You have to use your common sense and do a risk vs reward analysis. Your quad is small and has protected props, so common sense wise people and property is fairly safe but ultimately if you caused a ';situation'; you could be sued in a big way.

Happy Safe Flying.

Bad Raven

Roger and Darren are drone flying, trying to get that exceptional image to satisfy their photographic desires.

Darren is fairly new to drones and Roger is offering advice.  They are flying in a public park.

Suddenly on a slow pass Darren';s drone wobbles and slants away from his intended path for it, bounces off a mothers head, causing her to stumble and project her baby';s pram away from her.  The pram rolls increasingly rapidly down a sloping path straight out through a gate onto the road.

A motorcyclist dodges to avoid the pram, and hits an oncoming car, which swerves right into the side of a coach loaded with a school party.

The coach driver loses control as the coach blows a front tyre and the coach turns violently broadside, smashing through a wall and down onto a railway line, where it is immediately run into by an inter-city express.

Darren, devastated, turns to Roger and says "OMG, What did I do?", to which Roger, who';s walked over and retrieved the drone, replies.................

Well, it seems to me that your "P" was set OK, but you need to work on the "I" and "D" to remove that induced wobble or your videos will always be lousy quality.

trebor

You would make a fortune with a video of all that ! Just give a false name and only take cash 😁😁😁😜

Gav

Looks like an over priced gimmick. Money could be better spent on something worth owning. Only saying.

Bad Raven

Quote from: Gav on Thursday,May 18, 2017, 17:31:52
Looks like an over priced gimmick. Money could be better spent on something worth owning. Only saying.

Only agreeing......................  :whistling:

Ern Stock

A good way to encourage some other users may be to post some photographs .

Graham Lawrie

For that price i would have gone for a second hand Phantom. More bang for your buck. Also DJI are introducing a new "Selfie" drone for similar money in a few days.
Several years ago i would never have bought a DJI, when flown correctly and understanding all the pros and cons, they are a very good platform:)

lonedroner

Quote from: Gav on Thursday,May 18, 2017, 17:31:52
Thanks for the encouraging words.

Gav

Ha no worries. Got any pics or video of your antics with it?