User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • VaNDAL_UK: ANyone FPV onver Sutton Park Birmingham?
    December 07, 2018, 12:54:30
  • steveo9007: Cheers Atom was just a thought for now as I plan on keeping it well in range until I get comfortable with controls and flying
    December 05, 2018, 21:01:25
  • atomiclama: steveo You can just plug a GPS puck into the FC and get the OSB to display the coords, record the VTX and when things go tits up you have the last known posistion. Whislt not accurate it is a good starting point. Or get the coords sent back by telemetry to you TX which will be more accurate as long as power is maintained to the quad and it is range with the TX. Just some thoughts.
    December 04, 2018, 12:27:26
  • steveo9007: Is there a post on here about the 433mhz telem tx ??
    December 04, 2018, 07:56:49
  • steveo9007: ok thanks shaw
    December 03, 2018, 20:31:44
  • shawdreamer: meanwhile the 433mhz telem option I mentioned gives you live fixes in realtime and not "delayed texts"..... plus it doesnt cost you credit everytime you request a gps fix (btw the tags sim card also needs to have credit on it :laugh:)
    December 02, 2018, 20:47:10
  • shawdreamer: and yes that does actually work..... I tried it for a laugh a couple of years ago ::)
    December 02, 2018, 20:45:09
  • shawdreamer: the tags do as you say use satellites to get positional fixes but they dont immediately report those fixes to an App, each tag requires a Sim card (same as your phone) which is used to "text" you the tags position..... in other words you could get the exact same effect by strapping a old smartphone to your frame with the google "where is my device" app installed
    December 02, 2018, 20:44:13
  • steveo9007: doesnt the tag communicate with the satellites and not via a data system, isn't it the user who owns the tag go via data to the app that can locate the tag ???
    December 02, 2018, 18:18:11
  • shawdreamer: plus, alot of the lower end trackers struggle with GPRS and often rely heavily on GSM data instead which is just not worth a sh1te when it comes to pinpointing a downed frame
    December 02, 2018, 16:23:30
  • shawdreamer: most readily available gps trackers are not really suitable for anything smaller than a 400 sized frame as the units themselves are often too bulky for anything smaller and larger frames often already have their own gps setups that can simply be outfitted with a 433mhz telem tx that would report live and accurate info direct to a ground station so there'd be no point in a sms type tracker
    December 02, 2018, 16:22:07
  • steveo9007: anybody fitted a GPS tracker tag to their drones if it gets lost and is need to find it
    December 02, 2018, 14:56:36
  • Gav: yeah too much of a hike for me too.  was tempted with the bike show the other week but TBH its not worth it - no bargains anymore and rip off parking
    November 29, 2018, 20:11:21
  • Bad Raven: Too far for me.
    November 29, 2018, 08:27:36
  • hoverfly: Sunday drone show , N.E.C.  anybody   going.??
    November 28, 2018, 18:36:04
  • Bajadre: Congrats DB brother  !!!
    November 25, 2018, 03:09:56
  • hoverfly: I wish i haden't eaten a whole ham and egg pie........ pass the Rennies.. :cry
    November 21, 2018, 17:23:37
  • ched999uk: Don't yo just hate those days where you wish you never got up!!!!!!
    November 21, 2018, 15:46:06
  • Reman: Isn't it a spooky coincidense how seconds before banggood have a sale nearly all the prices of the on sale items go up, But the discount drops the price back to the pre sale prices?
    November 21, 2018, 05:46:29
  • DarkButterfly: Certainly hard work but well worth it ::)
    November 19, 2018, 22:19:02

Who's Online

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: new design  (Read 18980 times)

Offline shawdreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 799
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
Re: new design
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2018, 13:46:07 »
just testing the glow effect in the arms, hmmm I kinda was hoping for a more striking effect but I doubt it'll get any better unless I use higher output smd's which Id rather avoid as that'll mean increased heat and the need for heatsinks which would mean thicker arms...

:hmm: hmmmm, dont suppose its to bad considering and at the end of the day I didnt want it glowing like a xmas tree so I suppose its about right, other colours might work better but Ive kinda set my heart on blue so It'll do as is.
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2018, 17:34:32 »
so, all my parts turned up from HK earlier and as I was prepped I immediately set about getting it all built up.

despite the design requiring careful cable routing and part placement (I wanted to keep everything as compact as possible so minimized wasted space inside),it all went together nicely and after a small hiccup with the Multistar 4in1 Esc&FC refusing to recognize the x6b receiver until I realized the AIO esc/fc didnt except PPM input (which according to instruction it should) I swapped over to Sbus and everything was peachy.

all that was left was to wire the motors in.............. of course I remembered that motor cables are never long enough and I should always order appropriate sized cable for extending............. right.........FECCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Oh well least thats all that left to do and looking outside I wouldn't be maidenin it today anyway, like a monsoon out there right now!, till then.......

AUW with the 2200 3s turnigy pack is touching 500g (which would be the max weight it'll ever see as Ill be using smaller 4s most the time).

my only remaining 1600 4s (the other three have died over the past few monthes so its time for a restock) see's the AUW at 397g which isnt to harsh for a 250 I think.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 17:45:43 by shawdreamer »
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2018, 13:49:05 »
luckily found some correct gauge wire skulking about in the bottom of one of my parts drawers and set about extending the motor wires earlier...

some pre "extending shots"...

and after some very nerve racking soldering (those solder tabs on that AIO are bloody tiny!!!), shrink wrapping and final setup testing (most would have spotted the fact that this particular AIO has a terribly placed usb so you cant access it once its all buttoned up :rolleyes:, this is HK's rebranded Tattoo 35a AIO btw)....

the pressing question now is how will it fly?.... going by the very quick hover test I just did in between rain bursts in the back garden I get the feeling it might be a winner, even on the more or less stock pid's it lifted smoothly on the smallest amount of throttle (literally, click arm switch, touch of throttle to spin up motors and..... whoa its off the ground hovering on ground effect!!!) :o

Tbf when I run through the motor spec's (which I only glance over) Im not surprised it lifted on small throttle, according to the motor lit there good for 800g a corner max  :hmm: (sounds overoptimistic to me that number but heyho) and then you add in the sub 400g AUW and 4 blade props that I know are great little pullers and it sorta adds up.

Just need a good half an hour of clear weather now and I can atleast get it into my test spot out back :cry
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2018, 12:11:12 »
5mins.... I got 5 f'in mins were the rain stopped and the sun suddenly started cracking the flags.

Grabbed the quad and my evolution and literally legged it out the back to do a test cycle.

probably the most vigorous maiden cycle Ive ever done, weather report says near constant rain for the next 3 days and I aint waiting, got it powered, got it off the ground, threw it through all its horizontal control axis to see if it had any obvious wobbles in sudden pitch, roll and yaw movements... all seemed great and usually Id have double checked and came back in satisfied before getting a fresh battery and slowly increasing the test run difficultly.

This time though.... I aint waiting 3 feckin days for another clear window.

immediately chucked it near full tilt round the small test circuit.

ran it on nearly full throttle straight runs up and down the avenue a few times.

then came the inevitable flips, rolls, power rolls and hang time loops before the rain returned with vengeance and I had to leg it back inside but....

.... Its still in one piece, didnt crash or fail me once, took everything I threw at it with only a couple of minor niggles Ill have to address (like I forgot to set it so the motors didnt cut when I drop the throttle full....which made the first couple of flips a bit of a clencher before I realised :slap:)  but overall Im going with resounding success, It isnt even that greedy power wise, like I said, flew a good 5mins (and they were harsh 5mins) on one of my 2200 3s  and it still had juice in the tank enough for a couple more minutes before the alarm would have gone off.

If Id thought on I would have grabbed one of my 4s's instead of the 3s as I think this build will perform well on 4s but I figured the 3s would help keep the test flight tamed if anything was seriously out with the build....turns out I had nothing to worry about :shrug:, flew nice on the heavy 3s too, plenty of guts and balance so the lighter 4s should make for an interesting jump in performance :evil
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2018, 09:22:41 »
ok, so I got a chance to run a few cycles through her yesterday as despite the constant threat it did actually remain dry, so I dragged myself away from my new fixed wing project and headed out to the field.

despite the rough maiden abuse I gave it I still had a little degree of apprehension (as you do with just about every new build I suppose) but heyho.

turns out I was worrying for nothing again though as it flew like a champ, very stable were it needed to be, very agile were I wanted it to be. the only additional niggle I had over the motor low throttle I mentioned is the zmr frames tendency to lose a little stability when cornering with all three axis (or in other words rotating the frame on a single motor point), thats due to the zmr not being a true X frame and the distance between motor centres front to back being shorter than left to right, its only a small loss though and a little tuning can often help if it becomes annoying enough :shrug:

besides that, after 4x 2200mah 3s's and 3x 1600mah 4s's worth of flight time I was pretty  satisfied that it wasnt about to explode midair  ~~ , now I just want some fresh 4s's to chuck at it and really see how much punishment it cant take, that aside I can see this one becoming my main 250 for a fair while which will probably see it getting some nasty glares from my Twinboard and Reaper that are hanging forlornly on the wall.

zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2018, 15:15:36 »
as the weathers getting slowly worse by the day the opportunities to get out and fly are becoming more and more rare I figured Id sort something Id be meaning to add to the GlowRider.

When I built the XL version of project Sparkie I added an onboard HD-DVR which turned out to be a really decent addition and saved me having to record flights from the vrx end (which near always suffers static and atleast minor breakup), now all the inflight recording is taken directly from the flight camera with nothing inbetween (eg it has its own inbuilt action cam) which aslong as the fpv cam is decent enough, gives good quality footage.

with Sparkie giving me proof of concept I decided Id eventually add the same setup to the GlowRider but I simply forgot and havnt got round to it, I even forgot to order another DVR.... then it occurred to me, why do I need another DVR?... I can only fly one frame at a time :slap:.

So I took the GR off the wall and opened her up.

found an appropriate set of cables and connector in my spares (the dvr uses similar micro sm plugs to most flight controllers so all I need was one of the 4 pin cables commonly used for the ppm/sbus/ibus ports) and spliced it into the 5v/G on the 4in1 and the video from the cam......... presto, job done, quick clean and sorted ~~

just needed to print a new protective mount point for is similar to the Sparkies but a little more compact but still positioned in a way that the battery strap go's over it when the battery is strapped down like the sparkie (means the dvr cant eject... or atleast its as unlikely as the battery ejecting etc)

just need to button her all back up and hopefully it wont rain long enough to go give it a blast.... well atleast a test run :shrug:

I actually love how thin she looks there without the top printed canopy in place and for all essential purposes she's totally flight ready in that state (I could literally slap the battery on and go fly) but no cam.... which kinda defeats the point of the dvr :laugh:

now I just unstrap the dvr on the Sparkie, unplug and plug it into the GR and Im ready to go again yay :wack0

and finally, a quick test flight just to make sure its doing what it should (you'll have to forgive the strong colours in the raw video as I forgot to alter the cam settings and its on "vivid" which just doesnt work well on a dismal day like today)....
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2018, 11:18:20 »
well... Ive kinda been neglecting any new builds for a while as Glowrider proved to be such a success Ive hardly touched any of my other frames (my poor Sparkies are hanging forlornly on the wall shooting envious glares at the Glowrider as Ive been murdering it at every possible opportunity ::) )

figured Id set aside a bit of time today to play about with some idea's that have been bouncing around my noggin, one such is an improvement on the glowrider (or more exactly the set-out of the ZMR frame its based on), more specifically its addressing the instability the frame can suffer with due to its uneven motor layout (the ZMR isnt a "true" 250 frame, meaning it doesnt measure out evenly from corner to corner) this causes some instability in heavy turning during forward travel.

The way to correct this is simple....make the frame a "true" 250 X frame... so.... thats what I set about doing, finished printing out a adaption spacer for it just a short while ago and just finished bolting it all together.

some comparison shots to the GR original layout ZMR frame...

Difference (barring the obvious layout change) with this one is Ill forego any embellishing or cosmetic add-ons and leave the frame pretty much as seen there, Ill be able to squeeze all the vital electronics inside the spacer cavity much as the GR has and strap the battery directly to the top, fit the cam with its supplied mount rather than recessing it (again like the GR), think Ill use some pancake style motors to further keep the height down and see just how slim and portable I can make it.

its really will be bloody thin....

15mm overall thickness and if Im lucky Ill be able to keep that pretty much the same with the right motors, should make it handy for those lunch/break time bouts of flying insanity :laugh:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2018, 16:47:10 »
totally forgot to update this again.....

heres how the "slim" builds coming along....

nothings really finalized yet, still tweeking the centre spacer (new one printing as I type) but its looking good so far I think, certainly wont need to get any taller than it is right now (I love how chopped down and flat it looks, especially without that battery)

weight tests so far have seen it weigh in (with electronics, motors and a more than generous amount of estimated wire) at 280g which is obviously a definite bonus ::), with a decent sized battery on board (such as the 1300mah 4s Graphene in the pics) the weight sits about the 440g mark, thatd be 440g AUW with what should be a decent amount of flight time from the Graphene.

Think Ill invest in some smaller 4s and try and cut the weight down to 400g (or even sub 400g if im lucky) without drastically destroying flight time in the process, I fly my 250's in 5min hard blasts at the best of time so I think I should be able to manage something like with a 1100mah 4s  :crossfingers:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2018, 00:35:45 »
finished tweeking the frame design and printed out the final parts.

fitted addressable led clusters on the arms (also act as motor connectors), fitted the 20a 4in1 esc and wired it all up (had to squeeze in a stepdown buck as the esc board bizarrely doesnt have a 5v bec but least the buck is also filtered so shouldnt get interference in my video atleast :rolleyes:).

Also wanted to tidy up the finished look of the thing so dug out the remains of the 0.25mm thick CF plate I had knocking about from when I built the sparky and made some clean blanks for top and bottom.

just need to order in a FC, RX and a cam&vtx and she'll be ready to go  :frantic:

with the clusters added into the mix the AUW has came upto just under 450g with the 1400 Graphene which to me doesnt feel that bad (course I would of liked lighter but in this case it would have meant also "weaker" so its a fair trade off), still optermistic I could lose 50g of that with the right 1000mah 4s  :hmm:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard