User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

MultiRotorUK ShoutBox

Refresh History
  • hoverfly: beararsedcheek... :laugh:
    September 18, 2018, 18:42:15
  • Bad Raven: or bearreft, or bear left?
    September 17, 2018, 14:21:16
  • Bad Raven: or isnotherebear
    September 17, 2018, 14:20:30
  • Bad Raven: more like doesnotcarebear
    September 17, 2018, 14:20:07
  • Gav: carebear?
    September 17, 2018, 11:37:44
  • atomiclama: you there bear??
    September 15, 2018, 11:42:45
  • Reman: Got stuck in traffic yesterday. After an hour I started using my phone (And an OTG cable) to look through the media files on a keyring of my old USB sticks. Found one that had the entire run of "Firefly" on it. I got through 3 episodes before the traffic started moving again....... God, That really was an amazing show.
    September 14, 2018, 19:52:46
  • Gav: ok dude
    September 08, 2018, 16:40:59
  • mo_miah: Gav- if its a camera ship then TBS crossfire is definitely what you need, the FrSky has limited channels and telemetry options, TBS crossfire has much better features and more channels to control camera gimbals etc
    September 07, 2018, 11:53:01
  • Gav: mo miah - wanna swap from immertionRC UHF and try something else on my camera Ship.
    September 07, 2018, 11:25:40
  • DarkButterfly: My laminate arrived, the rebuild is coming along ~~
    September 06, 2018, 20:00:44
  • hoverfly: I coated a couple of Slipstreams  a few years ago  It stiffened up the wing nicely .On the down side although it prevented dings when i had an high speed"arrival" it left the resin cracked. and the glass lifted slightly.  Well stuck laminate stiffens the wing and is flexible..
    September 06, 2018, 18:26:13
  • DarkButterfly: I'm doing laminate, just put my order in for some, also got some balsa wood for the side parts, had to use a kitchen knife to seperate the foam from the busted wood
    September 05, 2018, 13:21:11
  • atomiclama: Thanks, can't decide on fibre glass or laminate. Like the idea of fibre for some reason, don't know why.
    September 05, 2018, 10:45:48
  • Bad Raven: Usng PolyC, yes
    September 05, 2018, 10:13:54
  • atomiclama: Anyone fibre glass coat their wings??
    September 05, 2018, 09:30:22
  • atomiclama: @DB well you obviously need a bigger motor and ESC, as flying slower is just not possible.  ::)
    September 05, 2018, 09:29:59
  • DarkButterfly: ~~
    September 05, 2018, 09:10:18
  • hoverfly: If you put a couple of coats of Eze Kote on the wing before the laminate it sticks really well ..no lifting.. :smiley:
    September 05, 2018, 08:47:37
  • DarkButterfly: If it makes you feel better, I’m going to completely refurbish my falcon Evo with new balsa sides and new laminate ~~
    September 04, 2018, 21:42:53

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 57
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: new design  (Read 16758 times)

Offline Reman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 192
  • Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Repeat.
Re: new design
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2018, 20:20:13 »
I can do build pics if you like, But flight video? Flown by me ?!?!? Bloody hell !
I'm pretty sure no one would be interested in seeing any flight footage I'd produce. My flying skills hit a plateau not long after I mastered landing the right way up. LOL ! I'd probabbly have called it a day and gave up on FPV flying if it wasn't for the fact that I really enjoy the building aspect of it.

If I "Go for it" I've found that my video footage share a lot in common with those guided missile camera feeds where you see a target loom up in the screen, Then static. LOL !

Also, I don't think it would be easy to fit my action cam on this frame. I'm one of the strange people who fly FPV with a 7" TX mounted screen, And the one I have doesn't have a DVR or video out to hang one off. The VRX on my Quanum V2 box goggles has a DVR built in....... But I've learned the hard way that I can't safely fly below 20 feet while using them (For some reason I completely lose the ability to judge hight).
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline shawdreamer

• Liked: 780
  • Tricopter, one prop short of a Quadcopter
« Reply #211 on: June 30, 2018, 20:49:27 »
yours if you want it fella, dont mind what you do with it once its in the air but Ive found that after going through many many versions and seemingly endless little fine tunings of the design with the right setup mine beats all my other frames for both placid stability and when desired outright lunacy so you might find that "plateau" edging up a little higher. :laugh:

PM me with address when your ready and Ill box it up and post it out first chance I get.

like Ched said though, chuck up some build pics when you make a start, be good to see how someone else handles it and might be able to make more improvements from the input.
550 custom H-copter (redesigned)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard
Project Sparkie (under repair)
https://www.thingiverse.com/shawdreamer/designs

Offline Reman

« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2018, 21:16:05 »
OK, PM sent. Thanks for this mate.
I need a pay rise........ Though I'd settle for a reduction in the amount of hours I need to work to get the same money.

Offline ched999uk

• Liked: 628
« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2018, 21:46:18 »
Just fly with your screen and put the quanum on same channel and record footage  ::)

To be honest mate you wouldn't want to see my flying either. Tried my first roll today, first one OK not quite far enough round but didn't hit the ground. Second one powered down into the hard ground as I didn't go gar enough round  ::) Result 1 snapped battery strap and a couple of broken cable ties from antenna mount  :laugh:

Always good to see other peoples flying as most of the stuff I see is WAY WAY above my poor skills.

Have fun with the new frame. Always good to see how other people build things as everyone is different and always get some new ideas.

Offline Reman

« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2018, 22:24:49 »
Just fly with your screen and put the quanum on same channel and record footage  ::)

Yeah, I've done that in the past, But it means carting the bloody great box goggles along (Or dismantling them), And I'd rather fill that space with a couple more quads. :)

Always good to see other peoples flying as most of the stuff I see is WAY WAY above my poor skills.

Have you ever taken out 4 quads and 8 charged batterys, And brought back 4 quads that need repairs before their next outing, and still had 5 charged batteries? I once took a freshly built 3" for a LOS test flight in the garden, Lost orientation on the first circuit and broke one of the arms off it's one piece base plate hitting a tree. Total flying time on that build before it needed rebuilding? About 30 seconds ! :laugh:

Have fun with the new frame. Always good to see how other people build things as everyone is different and always get some new ideas.

I made a mental list of what spares I've got that would fit in this, Then I looked back at the build photos Shawdreamer posted and realised that the motors, VTX and RX I was intending to use were identical to his. I'm now wondering if it's worth using different kit purely to make it different....... We'll see.

Offline Reman

« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2018, 22:47:43 »
A really quick post ('Cause I've just noticed that works really screwed me over tomorrow so I need to get to bed). The frame arived today. I've spent about an hour getting my head around how everything's going to fit (Got a little easier after it dawned on me that as it's not carbon fiber none of the antenas actually NEED to be outside the body). I've had a few moments where I've thought "Why's Shawdreamer done this that way? " and "What's he put a hole there for?". But while trial fitting electronics the reason for most of the design features suddenly become obvious........ There's been a hell of a lot of thought gone into this frame.

Anyway, No time to do anything else with it tonight, And I doubt I'll have chance tomorrow evening (I'll be lucky if I get chance to go to bed before midnight with the ridiculous workload some missguided managers dumped on me !!!), So time for bed.

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2018, 09:05:41 »
take your time lad, better to get it right first time with a sparkie as with the limited space inside it can be a right pain in the ringpiece to have to go back and fiddle with something after youve got it all in place and locked down, but once its right and the frames all buttoned up, you'll be hard pushed to damage anything, most resilient 3d printed design Ive made so far
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Reman

« Reply #217 on: July 05, 2018, 07:32:19 »
Just thinking out loud - I usually colour match the props to other aspects of the build on quads. So if I'm using red motors on a carbon frame I'll use red blades on the front and black on the back to help with orientation when flying LOS, But I've put red motors on a blue frame, and I don't think red and blue props would visually do it for me...... So I think once I've finished this build, Ironed out any bugs I might find, And worked out which props from my collection (When chopped down) will suit my flying style best, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some in bright yellow to go all around it.

This thing has a slightly "Tonka toy" feel to it, And the idea of building it to look like it could be branded as a "Fisher Price - Baby's first quad" tickles something in me. Building it so that most people would assume was a toy, But having enough oomph to strip the enamel off teeth at 20 feet just feels the way to go. LOL !

Now I think about it, Black motors and main body, But with solid yellow canopy, Bottom plate and props would look pretty good too. :)

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2018, 14:23:21 »
riiiiiiiiiiight.........

so.. while out earlier flying the sparkie I got a little over enthusiastic (again :rolleyes:) and went for a quadruple backflip attempt (previous triples had been an absolute breeze to pull off).

pulled it off first time and was pretty chuffed with myself so immediately decided to go for a quadruple forward flip, all looked good until I lost orientation (hardly surprising I suppose), long story short the sparkie came down nose first HEAVY!

resulting physical damage from a 60-70ft drop onto nose (worst crash its gone through so far):-

1x circlip popped off on a motor which then ejected the bell housing
1x prop blade bent

thats it :o

so, retrieved the bell housing, refitted it with a new circlip, straightened the bent blade (these dals are resilient Ill give them that) and fired the quad back up.... flies like nothing happened, absolutely no issues atall, ABS frame hasn't cracked or split anywhere ~~

but.... (yes there's always one "but")

the cams playing up (probably took a good knock despite it being well protected), opened up the canopy for a closer look and physically nothing looks wrong, no obvious damage, plugged in another larger cam to test whether the issue was the vtx and not the cam but no, everything works fine with the test cam,  where as the frames cam shows lots of break up and static lines.

Oh well, it was a cheap 1000tvl eachine ccd cam anyway and tbf it performed its duties well enough for a fair amount of time so I cant complain, now though I need a new cam so Im currently mulling over what to go with?, has to be small and compact to fit in the sparkie body and as I originally modeled the internal cam space to accommodate a runcam swift I was gonna go with one of them, but then there's also the swift2??

anyone have experience with the 1&2?, reviews online seem to show a much nicer image and better osd on the swift 2 so Im leaning that way slightly but thats not to say I wont opt for the now cheaper original.... failing that has anyone got alternative suggestions to the swift?
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Reman

« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2018, 01:02:49 »
I'm quite a fan of the Eachine 1000tvl CCD cameras, I've used them on more quads than any other camera.

OK, You don't get a voltage OSD (But any half decent FC already has one built in now), And they've not got particularly impressive lenses included, But if you think about the quality Vs price balance, Is something like a Runcam Swift 2's image quality really 3x better than this ones? I've found that the CCD element on these are pretty good too, It's just the lense that holds it back. I've fitted 2.5mm Foxeer IR blocked lenses to a few of mine and there's a definite improvement in image clarity.

They're currently going for 10 quid on BangGood, But I tend to wait for them to go on sale for 7 odd quid (Usually happens every couple of months), Then I buy 3 to put in my spares box. As the last one I had has just been allocated to the Sparkie build I'm now waiting for the next time they go on sale to restock. :)

The only thing that I think could improve these as a general "Workhorse" camera would be if there was an option to side mount them for frames designed around the Runcam or Foxeer's 26mm wide spacing. I've tried hot gluing the bottom of one to a "U" shaped alloy brackets and threading side mounting holes into that, But as I currently don't have access to many of my sheet metal tools it looked a particularly shoddy effort........ Maybe it's a 3D printing idea you could play with at some point?

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2018, 17:44:44 »
while Im waiting to sort the cam this little puppy turned up...

absolute smallest DVR I could get hold of that atleast appeared to have decent performance, tis tiny which is what I need as I was looking to build it into the remaining space inside the sparkie... that said though after careful examination it became quickly obvious that wouldnt be possible, if I de-cased it it would certainly fit inside the frame no problem BUT that'd leave the very obvious issue of accessing the start/stop button on one the side and the card slot on another :-/.

so had to resign myself to building it in outside the frame. spent a couple of hours muling over various approaches before coming up with this...

keeps everything clean, tidy and accessable while still offering as much protection as possible to the DVR.

records pretty nice, though it does auto save recordings every 3 minutes which means theres always gonna be some post flight video stitching to do if in the air longer than the 3mins, upside to that though is that if you lose power to the dvr for whatever reason the only recording that'll likely be corrupted will be the last 3 mins at most rather than loosing the whole session ~~ beyond that it has minimal impact on the frames balance and looks so all's good.
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Reman

« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2018, 21:27:18 »
Bloody hell !!!!!!!!

Finished mine around 6pm today, And........ BLOODY FLIPPIN' HELL !!!!! :)
Even on 3S this things a friggin' monster. I wired it so I COULD run it on 4S if I wanted, But I REALLY don't think that would be necessary (Or in my case, Advisable !). :)

Anyway, Build log time.

Like usual I started with the motors and ESC board....

I used long nylon screws to hold everything in so I could just snip them down to a suitable size once everything was bolted down. Next I test mounted all the rest of the electronics so I could get the wire lengths right.....

I found that as I was using an F3 Omnibus clone I needed to chop the mounting plate a little to clear one of the boards plugs.....

I also had to drill a clearance hole for whatever that little white component on the X6B RX is.
after that I soldered everything I could while it was out of the frame (The funny looking red lump is the buzzer wrapped in heatshrink).....

Then fitted the flight electronics to it.....

Next came the FPV kit. I used an Eachine 1000tvl camera (As usual) and a ATX03 VTX. The camera or VTX hasn't got a mic and I was going to be powering them both from the FC, So I trimmed the extra cables off the VTX.....

This was the point I made a little mistake. It seems the F3's 5v regulator can't quite keep up with the amps this VTX was trying to pull (Even in 25mw mode). Everything looked good until I tried to spin up the props, Then the FC would brown out. This was a little confusing to me, But I had a sneaky suspicion that it might be the VTX, So I desoldered it and retested....... Everything was now fine.

To power the VTX I ended up using one of the tiny little DSN-mini-360 adjustable step down boards I'd bought years back in case they ever came in useful....... And it worked really well !.....

Once I wired that in I heatshrunk it and stuck it to the FC with car trim foam tape (Great stuff for semi permanently sticking irregular shaped things together without resorting to hot glue). With that out of the way it was time to deal with chopping the blades.

I've done this before with a DIY wooden contraption that held the prop on an M5 bolt and had a hole for my Dremel to mount through. It was a rickety bloody thing and was only really useful for ruining perfectly good blades wholesale. While working I put a little thought to how better to accurately trim the blades and came up with THIS !!!

It's just a length of alloy "U" section and a scrap motor. I drilled a clearance hole for the motors bottom nut, Then feeling lazy I just cut a slot through it so I didn't have to accurately drill motor holes......

I then used some heating pipe lagging to space out the Dremel a bit so the blades sweep took the tip across the edge of the grinding disc. I checked the props for balance before starting, then chopped them and checked them again. Amazingly they were all still near as damn it spot on (One just needed the slightest amount of chamfering on a blade tip to be perfect !!!).

With that out of the way there was no excuse not to test fly it. :)

I started out by doing a gentle circuit of the garden. Without any tuning it flew really well. It flew so well that that it only get one "gentle circuit" before I got a lot more adventurous. Even on 3S it's got plenty of punch and it flips comically quick..... Me likey ! :)
After the first pack I checked for loose screws, Then whacked 3 more packs through it before  !!!!

In case anyone doesn't want to read all that to work out what I used to build this, The specs I ended up with are.....

RacerStar BR2205 2300kv motors,
RacerStar RS20Ax4 20A 4 in 1 ESC board,
Omnibus F3 clone,
Eachine ATX03 VTX,
Eachine 1000tvl FPV camera,
FlySky X6B RX,
KingKong 5x5x3r blades cut down to 4.5"
Tattu 3S 1550mAh 75c pack,
Realacc carbon fiber battery protection board ('Cause I often "land" pretty hard. :) ),
And a DSN-MINI-360 adjustable step down board to power the VTX.

Good points,
The frame feels surprisingly strong, Yet reasonably light.
The internal layout and design features are very well thought out.
No wasted space, This is about as small as a quad made with full sized components can get.
It's a pretty easy build with the parts I used.
Aerials don't need to be external like with carbon plate frames.
It flies great and looks cute as frig !!!!! :)

Bad points,
It's very much designed around a set list of components, So if you go too far off script the build could get a lot more difficult.
M2.5 machine screws into plastic can't be tightened very much or very often before they'd start to strip out the frames thread.
Not being quite a 5" quad means limited prop choice or DIY prop mods.

Constructive comments,
If I were specing a new version of this I'd extend the arms slightly so it could take unmodified 5" props.
The top and bottom screws on the arms near the motors could be replaced with longer bolts and a captive nut to remove the need for those screws to be threaded in plastic (It vaguely looks like this might have been the original idea here).
Some form of standard width FPV camera side mount could be useful, And a bit more room for tilting the camera.

All in all I'm blown away with this. The pros far outweigh the cons to me. It's a wolf in "Playmobil" clothing. It looks like a cute little toy, But........ Bloody hell ! LOL !

My hat's off to Shawdreamer, He's put a lot of thought into this design, And it really shows.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 21:47:19 by Reman »

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2018, 22:04:38 »
That's great. Seems like it would make a quad for a spec racing series.
Nice build picys.
I assume you know the x6b has a vbat connection that can relay flight battery level back to tx? Plus if you use the newer firmware you can set vbat alarms for warning and critical!! Its very handy when you forget to look at vbat on osd then the tx beeps warning you to look :-)

Offline Reman

« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2018, 22:26:16 »
I assume you know the x6b has a vbat connection that can relay flight battery level back to tx?

Yeap, I near as damn it always solder it's wires onto whatever the end of the battery wires goes to (4 in 1 ESC or a PDB). I use a TX mounted screen for FPV so it's not as bad as it is when wearing goggles. I can still glance at the flight batteries voltage on the TX, But it's sometimes handy that the TX starts bleeping and prompts me to check it too. :)

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2018, 22:32:14 »
I had a great fly this afternoon as the goals in my flying field had been moved to 10yrd line to cut grass. So for the first time ever I had something to fly round  ::)
It was great, I got carried away so the tx started beeping at me that batt was getting low. I think if not for the beeps I would have killed the battery!!!
Going to build a couple of gates out of plumbing overflow pipe  ::) ::) ::)

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2018, 23:04:55 »
you think its a monster on 2300's.......... you should try 2600's, its just 300 more motor on each corner but sh!te its a definite candidate for the brown trouser award. :laugh:.

looking good though, these cheapo racerstar motors really seem to agree with this design and when you consider the AUW is atleast 1/3 lighter than a average 250 that youd usually use the same setup on.... you kinda start to understand why it can move like a whippet on a redbull trip and turn like a fly with a handbrake installed ::)
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2018, 23:23:53 »

Bad points,
It's very much designed around a set list of components, So if you go too far off script the build could get a lot more difficult. I have made variant internal plates to accomodate other electronics but your right things like the Vtx are pretty much set in stone if you wanna use the canopy window
M2.5 machine screws into plastic can't be tightened very much or very often before they'd start to strip out the frames thread. you can just fire 2x20mm (iirc straight through and nut them underneath, its what I generally do..

Not being quite a 5" quad means limited prop choice or DIY prop mods.

Constructive comments,
If I were specing a new version of this I'd extend the arms slightly so it could take unmodified 5" props. shouldnt be to big of a issue to do, at most Id have to squeeze an extra 10mm into the frame somewhere to push the props further apart, Ill have a look at it when I inevitably start peeing about with my own again :rolleyes:
The top and bottom screws on the arms near the motors could be replaced with longer bolts and a captive nut to remove the need for those screws to be threaded in plastic (It vaguely looks like this might have been the original idea here). see above :laugh:
Some form of standard width FPV camera side mount could be useful, And a bit more room for tilting the camera. with the eachine 1000tvl you can actually get away with using a bit of wedge shaped foam top and bottom, if you cut it right it actually squishes a bit when you tighten down the canopy and works well as vibe dampening, that said once I replace my own eachine cam with a swift or swift2 Ill have another look at clearance inside

zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2018, 16:24:50 »
Had the back off the cam to see if I could resuscitate it...
Turns out I could to a certain degree, Major static and lines are clear now,  found a very tiny resistor on the mainboard that looked suspiciously dry one side so I did some very nerve wracking, eye straining iron work after which the majority of the cams image came back, it does have some minor horizontal lines it didnt have before (might have to add in a additional power filter to see if that clears it up) but all in all its certainly usable for flight cam again, atleast as far as Im concerned.

wanted to test some minor PID tweeks and the new DVR too so figured Id take the sparkie for a little spin (or as it turns out....several :whistling:) round the back of my house were I usually do hover tests and see how the camera stands up to some in air stuff.

nothin spectacular, just some low level flips, doubles and slow rolls to see how it feels and how the image looks...
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2018, 17:49:46 »
took me a couple of days but....

the SlightlyMoreBeefyBoltThroughCanUseUntrimmedProps version of the Sparkie ~~

as you can see the overall frame size has increased, were the original is a 170 frame size, the new version is 190, purely to allow the use of untrimmed 5" props.

played about with the camera mounting point to allow better variable cam angles.

Made all bolting points "right through" with nuts on the bottom, yes I could have gone with the captive nuts approach but I simply dont like doing it, the nuts nearly always end up spinning regardless of how tight you makes the slot they sit in and when that happens its a pain to get things to tighten fully, where as nuts below can be gripped and held easily.

widened the body also (not a great deal as I didnt want it to start looking fat) and redesigned the electronics mounting plate so there's more room inside for preferred spec options.

lots of other little tweeks here and there but I wont bother listing the small stuff or Ill be here all day....

...have to get to the more pressing matter of ordering essentials to build it up..... without the missus clocking on :whistling:

ps the example frame I showed for comparison is made of spare parts.... my sparkie is still perfectly fine (see background of one of the pics)... for now. ~~
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Reman

« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2018, 19:26:38 »
Looks like you've scaled up the motor mount area too........ Not planning a 2406 build are you? :)

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2018, 19:41:46 »
actually I was thinking of using 2403's, Ive got a set on my twinboard design and they give a nice balance of power and efficiency.
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Reman

« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2018, 08:12:05 »
actually I was thinking of using 2403's

Nice. Everyone thinks I'm an idiot for liking these BR2403's. I've been told they're underpowered and a waste of money, But I find that on 6" props they give easily enough oomph for most things that aren't built for racing, And they have a much lower amp draw than you'd get with the more popular BR2205's. No one seems to think about how a lower thirst for amperage means you can either fly longer per pack, Save weight with a smaller pack, Or run cheaper lower C rated packs. If you're not after blistering lap times its all win !

In my world air time = fun. I'm not a racer so terrifying myself by going flat out all the time isn't necessarily fun for me, I don't find charging batterys fun, Waiting for parts to fix a quad because i couldn't mentally keep up with what it was doing and crashed REALLY isn't fun...... The flying is fun, So anything that extends the duration of that is a bonus in my book.

I've got a couple of Martian builds here, One on 5" and BR2205's and the others a 6" on BR2403's. The 5" is brutal, And I find it hard to regulate my altitude because it can change SOOOOO quickly, The 6" on the other hand is a lot more sedate and everything happens more at my reaction speed.  ::)

I've never tried them on 5" props though, What are they like?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:49:25 by Reman »

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2018, 09:08:31 »
It is true they dont have the thrust the 2205's have but their definitely less greedy.

on your more sedate 5030 type props the loss of power is notable and the whole frame feels sluggish but if you use much more aggressive pitch props like the racekraft 5050 tri's you can see I use on my twinboard it offsets the thrust loss very well while still maintaining a fair decent flight time (6mins hard flying on a 1400 4s), on the sparkie with its reduced weight but similar power system to my twinboard that should see a improvement in theory.
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline Reman

« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2018, 22:29:19 »
I said I'd "Fisher Price" it up a bit.......

That's some de-tipped "iFlight Nazgul T5061" blades. They only arived today so I haven't had time to have a test fly on them yet, But they look bloody ridiculous. I also chucked some unbranded 5040 4 Blade props in the order. They're in blue and black. I got them just in case even when cut down, The silly pitch blades were asking a bit too much of the motors.

Apart from that (After checking how much material was printed in around the screw holes) I've drilled out and replaced all the M2 screws with stainless M2.5 ones instead. I didn't have any hardware that small here so I had to order them off eBay. I could have gone for more M2 fixings, But the price difference between M2.5 and M2 nuts is staggering. Just going for nuts that 0.5mm smaller pretty much triples their price !!! Crazy !!! Still need to chop the 20mm long arm screws down by a couple of mill (18mm would have been perfect, But I didn't know that at the time). For the time being I've just put little heat shrink caps on the threads so they don't gouge anyone/thing.

Offline ched999uk

« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2018, 22:42:34 »
I think 2.5mm are used in electrical stuff like mains sockets etc so they are probably a 'standard' mass production size.
Looks good, be interesting to see how it gets on with such aggressive props.

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2018, 23:21:45 »
Im not entirely sure how I feel about the look of that :huh

but

I aint the one who built it and Im not the one who flies it so you go in whatever direction you wanna take :laugh:..... either way it wont take anything away from how the evil little sod fly's ~~

as for the 5060's, I doubt the motors will struggle with them and they should certainly give a little more guts thrust wise but at the same time I suspect they'll play merry hell with amp pull, the 5050 Racekraft tri's I used were pretty hard on the battery and I cant see adding 10 more degrees of pitch into the equation making anything better but it should serve to give you a few minutes of zippy giggles until your 4 blades turn up, till then though just watch your lipo levels for the first few cycles so you don't puff and kill your batteries.
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #236 on: July 23, 2018, 23:10:09 »
just finished Project Sparkies big brother....

couldn't be a***d waiting on the 4in1 esc and RX so raided my spares and took advantage of the bigger designs additional internal space to use 4x RS 20A Rev2's and a Ai6c full range RX (hence the deeper belly printed plate and long dangly antenna's (Ill have to tube them up before I maiden it tomorrow :-/)

used a Naze32 rev5 that was kindly donated by Doug on ere a while back when I was having issues with Rev6's constantly burning out and till now has sat unappreciated in the spares drawer... he did warn me he hadn't used it in a very long time but I was still a little surprised I had to install a version of cleanflight config so old that it was probably used by Leonardo da vinci just so I could get it to connect to my pc :o...think it was V1.25 :laugh:

Either way it'll do the job till a f3 and 4in1 turns up, then the only dilemma Ill have to face is wether to build another or swap out the fc and esc in this one..... three guesses what Ill end up doing? :whistling:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:45 »
IT LIIIIIIIIVES.....

and flies surprisingly well straight off the deck, didn't do any pre-tuning, hadn't even fired up the motors with props on, just woke up this morning, slapped a set on it, strapped a battery to it, plugged it in and stepped out into the garden to see if it would even get off the ground...

did take it out back to my "testing area" to give it a bit more of a test flight but I didnt notice Id put camera behind a sodden ivy leaf so all I recorded was a big green leaf and the occasional glimpses of the quad flipping about around behind the leaf :slap:

ps, had to remove video because its uploaded weird (sudden speed changes and the sounds completely out of whack so was pee-in me off..... and now I cant seem to get it to upload again so that's even more annoying :banghead:

pps, GRRRRRRR even the new upload of a entirely different video is doing the same, Im starting to wonder if mt pc is going senile.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 14:37:38 by shawdreamer »
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2018, 12:23:09 »
took the opportunity  of the lull in the recent rainy weather to go test out RacerStars take on the Dal 5045 4 blade props Ive been using recently...

their actually not to bad, they seem to match the dals for thrust and efficiency and "appear" to be of similar build quality, I can only emphasize "appear" as I cant seem to find any info on what material was used though it does seem to be the same as the Dals (the dals being Polycarb blades), but only time will tell as with the dals a bent blade could usually be bent back into almost original shape, if these do the same then that'll answer that.

their a bit stiffer than the Dals however which has led me to a discovery..... the Dals "scream" I have so grown to love must have a great deal to do with how flexible the blades are as these racerstars despite measuring the exact same dimensions and pitch as the dals only scream when you throw them into very heavy moves and sharp turns at almost full throttle....... I want my straight line full throttle banshee back :cry
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard

Offline shawdreamer

« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2018, 17:01:25 »
well I already had semi transparent props to hand.... and a brand new foxeer arrow pro pretty much sitting on my desk not doing much so the obvious step occured to me....

build another quad for them to go on..... it'd be a waste otherwise :whistling:

frame pretty much finalized, jusr doing a couple of design tweeks before I order in all the hardware...

main framework plate is a ZMR250 with 3mm arms and Ive built onto that using semi-transparent ABS (vaped to make it clear in select areas), the arms have a 5mm semi-trans spacer ontop with PetG top covers over them, the spacers themselves are hollowed out so I can slot in a set of RGB leds which should create some pretty funky effects when done (plus saves me adding external visuals).

nice and solid all bolted together too, feels like its gonna be a sturdy sod (which is lucky considering how I fly my creations :-/), with the semi-Trans ABS on the black PetG and carbon  I was reminded of a certian character out of a will smith film so in honour Im christening  it "The I-drobot" :laugh:
zmr250
Reaper250 V.1
Podracer v2
zmr250Hybrid
250 Twinboard