Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 23:23:05

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 24
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Bunnygirl's : Menai Bridge Test

Started by bunnygirl80, Monday,April 01, 2013, 10:09:10

Previous topic - Next topic

bunnygirl80

Hi guys,

Yesterday was a day of testing and hovering from the garden. I tried loads of different dampeners under my camera for better stabilisation, but with very poor results. Even moongel didn';t produce good results. So, going to take some of your comments from the chat room last night and try a few more today. As you can see from this one, quite a wobble, but lovely scenery (such a shame it';s spoilt by wobbles).

Thxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RakMjMA95Y

Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

ChrisH

Stef,

A great location and a great video. A real shame about the jello!

Not that I';m any sort of expert but the jello seems very erratic and variable. Could it be a balance problem - prop or motor?

You';ll have to revisit the location once the wobbles are fixed! Good luck!

:smiley:
Chris
Hubsan X4
DJI F450, Naza, GPS, DX8,
Tarot FY680 Naza, GPS, Hero3 Silver, 5.8 FPV with screen
 :england:

SimonS

The motor noise at the start sounds a bit as though you have the gains on the controller set a little bit high. Maybe the controller is fighting too hard to maintain it level and that is the source of the vibration.

teslahed

Was it windy that day? I have found with multiwii i have to lower my gains slightly if it';s very wind to get my quad flying smoothly - the gains that are perfect on a still day might be a little too high on a windy one. I am not sure if this applies to other flight controllers or not.
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

bunnygirl80

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments! The good news is that I';m here often, so I can easily return for some more filming!  :smiley:

Yes, it was quite windy yesterday, but sunny, hence the reason I was out!  ::) There is generally a bit of wind running down that estuary which doesn';t help!

I was filming with my TBS with Naza. I';m currently using Jumpy';s Naza settings, but I';m not 100% happy with them. I';m not sure if it';s my setup as I don';t have FPV and LRS like Jumpy or what! I did make another posting about how the TBS drops its back legs in turns : it still does this and I haven';t had a chance to try any other settings.

Today, I';ve sandwiched the moongel between some tape to try! I';ll let you know how it goes.

Thxx.
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

SimonS

Have a read of this and try the settings.  They might seem a bit radical but they do work!

http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php/topic,11719.0.html

teslahed

Quote from: bunnygirl80 on Monday,April 01, 2013, 14:04:38 I was filming with my TBS with Naza. I';m currently using Jumpy';s Naza settings, but I';m not 100% happy with them. I';m not sure if it';s my setup as I don';t have FPV and LRS like Jumpy or what! I did make another posting about how the TBS drops its back legs in turns : it still does this and I haven';t had a chance to try any other settings.

If your TBS is similar to craigs in spec, only lighter without the FPV gear, I would guess your gains may be too high which could be adding to the wobble effect.

For a given strength of motor response - if the quadcopter is heavier - it will have less of an effect. So your gain settings need to be lower for a weaker motor response if your quad is lighter with less momentum and thus easier for the motors to move about.

But i am guessing quite a lot here, having no experience with the NAZA myself...
One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

steve fh

Quote from: bunnygirl80 on Monday,April 01, 2013, 14:04:38
Hi guys,
I was filming with my TBS with Naza. I';m currently using Jumpy';s Naza settings, but I';m not 100% happy with them. I';m not sure if it';s my setup as I don';t have FPV and LRS like Jumpy or what! I did make another posting about how the TBS drops its back legs in turns : it still does this and I haven';t had a chance to try any other settings.

Hi Steff.

My spider quad has a tendency to drop the back as well in turns, (both with multiwii and naza) not sure is it';s a quirk of the no symmetrical layout. Even with the Naza a steady banked turn requires roll and yaw tweaks all the way if i want it to look good and exit a turn cleanly into forward flight.

I messed around with the Naza gains a lot on Saturday and found in the end that standard basic gains and atti around 170%. This seemed to give me good authority and a "locked in feel" while retaining stability input from the Naza. Bringing up the basic gains seemed to diminish my authority as it';s trying too hard to level all the time.

Standard basic gains do make it a bit soft and mush in a hover but for AP or FPV filming I don';t think that';s a bad thing as you don';t want it making harsh corrections.

I';m wondering if yaw gain needs playing with to cure the tail dragging in turns but the wind has picked up too much here for meaningful tests. I';m thinking maybe a lower yaw gain so it';s not trying so hard to hold a heading during a turn ?   :hmm:

I';ve no GPS on my Naza so i';m not sure if that affects flight set up at all ?

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

[url="//www.capturedmotion.co.uk"]www.capturedmotion.co.uk[/url]

bunnygirl80

Steve, do you have a screen shot of your settings.

Yesterday afternoon, I reviewed my TBS settings and found the XYZ for the GPS to be wrong. I changed my X from -4 to -8 which was the correct setting and it seemed to make quite a difference to the turning. I';m not sure if this was psychological or what as I cant think why that would make a difference.

I have now changed to Trappy';s settings and will try these today. I';ve also printed your Part1 and Part2 TBS Naza tuning advice and will take this down to the field with me. So, I';ll let you know how it goes.

On another note, I was going to start a new post with a title of "camera dampening", but didn';t feel it was justified at this time. Despite numerous test (using compact foam, helicoil foam, thin craft foam, moongel, sandwiched moongel) and even some which seemed successful in the garden. I am still having lots of problems getting a nice picture on the video. So, I';ve now resorted to changing the Naza settings to try and establish a nice video (wobble free).

Stef

steve fh

Hi Stef.

I did some more gain tuning last night. Ended up at:

Basic:  Pitch 145  Roll 145  Yaw 100  Alt 100

Attitude 165 165

In calm air last night (hovering about) this was rock solid in hover responsive to the sticks and was pulling back to level smartly without over shooting.

Flying circuits this morning in a stiffening breeze it felt like I was having to work hard to keep forward momentum and it was keen to climb as it turned into wind (Just as this frame was with multiwii but more controllable on Naza) It also had a hint of a shimmy hovering in the breeze like it was trying just a bit to hard to hold level but not like a wobble from P to high in Multiwii

I';ve not tried it yet in manual on these settings though as I have it set up just now to switch between failsafe and atti.

I did try dropping Yaw to 80% last night but it felt very lazy and I did not try it in circuits.

I think the setting above are probably going to be good for aggressive flight but i';ll probably drop them back a bit as the softer settings will give a smoother flight for AP or filming.

For reference TOW is just over 1600g with TBS750kv motors and slow fly 10x4.5
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

bunnygirl80

Well, It';s sorted! In the end I changed the props from RcTimer to Graupners and all my problems disappeared. I';ve checked the balance of the RcTimer props and they';re spot on, but about 1mm difference tracking on two props. This must be enough to make a difference. I';m going to look through my spare RcTimer props and see if there are any others which have better tracking to test again with better tracked RcTimers.

Here';s the result now with the same setup as the beginning of this post, except for the props of course!

2013 04 03 GoPro Graupners 

Gaza07

[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

steve fh

What FOV is that on the gopro?  does not seem to have much distortion compared to some footage ?
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

Wombat

Do you mind me asking what gimbal you are using? I bought what I thought looked a good me for my F550 but its too flexible and the vibration is alwful

steve fh

Quote from: Wombat on Saturday,April 06, 2013, 14:09:45
I bought what I thought looked a good me for my F550 but its too flexible and the vibration is alwful

RCTimer by any chance ?
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

Wombat

Quote from: steve fh on Saturday,April 06, 2013, 16:57:26
RCTimer by any chance ?

No an ifly one, if you tap the hex the camera vibrates so much the screen is un watchable. It just seems too flexible even with a damper plate in or out.

bunnygirl80

Quote from: Wombat on Saturday,April 06, 2013, 14:09:45
Do you mind me asking what gimbal you are using? I bought what I thought looked a good me for my F550 but its too flexible and the vibration is alwful

Hi,

There is no gimball. It is just held in place with some elastic bands. I do use some acoustic soundproofing foam under the camera for a little shock absorption.