Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 18:17:53

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Motor upgrade for less Vibration

Started by steve fh, Thursday,March 28, 2013, 16:58:21

Previous topic - Next topic

steve fh

I';m currently running TBS 750kv';s (RCT) motors which are running ok for general flying but seem to have just a bit to much vibration i just cant get rid of when using a camera.

They have been in a few crashes and "learning incidents" including a prop failure this morning so I';m thinking it';s time to replace them.

Possibly a dumb question but just how much smoother are say Tiger motors or other higher price range motors than the RCT price range motors ?

Any recommendations for a 600 size quad all up weight around 1600g for general AP / filming / cruising ?

I use 4S 4000mah lipos

Cheers
Steve
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

[url="//www.capturedmotion.co.uk"]www.capturedmotion.co.uk[/url]

guest325

If you';re looking for better quality stuff Hacker motors are one of the best but at a price! Have a look on Puffin models website, they do some very good quality stuff.
Can';t help for the size to go for...sorry.

SimonS

The TBS 900kv motors are made by Tiger motor for them. The Tiger motor equivalent is the 2216-11. For that weight they would be fine.  If you are going to up the weight to around 3kg then the 2814-10 would be ideal. I have a set of them on my hexa.

steve fh

Quote from: SimonS on Saturday,March 30, 2013, 15:07:20
The TBS 900kv motors are made by Tiger motor for them. The Tiger motor equivalent is the 2216-11. For that weight they would be fine.  If you are going to up the weight to around 3kg then the 2814-10 would be ideal. I have a set of them on my hexa.

Thanks. I';m considering the 2814 as i can see me upgrading to a hex in the not to distant future to get a good quality camera in the air with a bit of safety margin and redundancy.

I see you have the carbon core hex frame which is the frame I have my eye on.
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Quote from: SimonS on Saturday,March 30, 2013, 15:07:20

What Amp ESC do you run with the 2814 ? 40a ?
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

decision time.

It';s between the 2814 710kv Torxpower and the 2814 770kv TigerM

Both have their merits........... :hmm:
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

Rudeboy

My YouTube Channel
Rudeboy's FPV Facebook Page

steve fh

Quote from: Rudeboy on Wednesday,April 03, 2013, 00:03:14
torx power is tiger motor just rebranded for quadcopters.co.uk

Yep so just really a decision between 770kv for a bit more response or 710kv for more efficiency

Or possibly no discernible difference in the real world.

I think i';ve thought about this a bit to much..... :wack0

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

kym

Maybe it isn';t the motors.

I';ve been trying out a few different units in the 800-1100 kv range.

Some cheap Turnigies with no prop tend to jump around when spun up to max throttle in my test rig (i.e. the actual electronics I';ll be flying).

I was dissatisfied with the Sunnyskies they sent with my Seeker/Locust frame and ordered some 1000 kv propdrivers from HK.

When I got them they spun up to 100% throttle with no vibration.

But then came judgment day -- bolting on the prop holders.

I could see a problem right away. The prop holders didn';t fit snug on the end of the motor. I suspect they';re not made by the same people -- they came in a separate bag from HK as an "extra".

When trying to bolt then down the micrometer said there was at best a .1 mm mis-alignment between the bolt holes in the holder and the top of the motor. I bolted them down carefully anyway.

When spun up they went the way of the Turnigies -- jumping around all over the place.

I';m thinking of just going back to the Sunnyskies. At least their prop holder bolted on very very snug and the bolts lined up much better than .05 mm accurate.

The reason I originally set them aside -- I didn';t want to waste their long wires. They came with about 12" of wire and already there was 12" of wire on the 4-in-1 esc I had. They also didn';t come with bullets (and there were none in the "ARF" Locust kit despite the ESC having them all installed).

Moral: may not be the motor but the mundane stuff like the machining of the prop holder.

Anyway, I';ve been a bit shocked lately how poorly the props with their miriad of little plastic sleeves STILL don';t fit properly on the motor shaft or prop holder. I know it doesn';t sound much, but if you balanced your props or bought pre-balanced ones you';re only talking about fractions of a g out of place. If the whole prop slops around by .5 mm around the axle before you can bolt it down, that effort is mostly wasted.

steve fh

Quote from: kym on Wednesday,April 03, 2013, 12:07:28
Anyway, I';ve been a bit shocked lately how poorly the props with their miriad of little plastic sleeves STILL don';t fit properly on the motor shaft or prop holder. I know it doesn';t sound much, but if you balanced your props or bought pre-balanced ones you';re only talking about fractions of a g out of place. If the whole prop slops around by .5 mm around the axle before you can bolt it down, that effort is mostly wasted.

No question in my mind that the prop adaptors and the cheap props are part of the issue. But I ran the motors the other day with no pros or adaptors and one was growling and the other were not as smooth as they were new.

My general thinking is upgrade to tiger motors for my camera machine with the Naza and service the TBS750';s and stick them on a frame with my AIOP for general flying
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

steve fh

Bitten the bullet and ordered:

4 x MT2814 770kv  with 11x5 Xoar props  From Electriflight

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

bigbelly

When I had a scratchy feeling motor it was because the magnets inside had moved (from my cheap RCTimer brushless). Pushed the magnets back into place and motor spins well again.

Some have mentioned the higher quality motors have the motors glued in place so they can';t move. Might be worth checking by pulling off the c-clip and check all is well inside.

Walkera 4#3b
HK450 clone
MCPX2
QUAD 450 clone
Hubsan X4
GoPro Black
808#16

e.chipev

Quote from: steve fh on Wednesday,April 03, 2013, 13:06:00
Bitten the bullet and ordered:

4 x MT2814 770kv  with 11x5 Xoar props  From Electriflight

Hi Steve,
Can you share how the new motors are behaving?
Where they balance right out of the box?
Do you get any vibration with the prop adapters installed?
Thanks in advance

steve fh

Since upgrading the weather has been so awful down here I';ve hardly flown in two weeks and when I have it';s been so windy that any real comparisons have been impossible so far.

However this thread here has some comparison footage from the day I fitted them which shows good improvement out of the box.  That said they were replacing TBS/RCT motors that had been in several crashes and have play in bearings

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=2052.msg16386#msg16386

The clip with the tigers fitted and flying off the green in front of the house i would say is about as good as quality gets from the ageing Panasonic FS3 camera

I';ve ordered new bearings and shafts for the TBS/RCT motors so once they arrive and are fitted I';ll be able to get a more meaningful comparison. Weather permitting  :rolleyes:
BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.