Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Tuesday,April 23, 2024, 08:03:22

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,425
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 25
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

CAUTION!!!! Never use a cheap programmer for KK2 firmware updates.

Started by rokit5, Tuesday,March 26, 2013, 12:44:50

Previous topic - Next topic

rokit5

Having used my HK programmer for my 9X project I thought I';d buy a cheap programmer from ebay as the waiting time was shorter...Big mistake.
Turns out that the KK2 board can still say that the firmware upload has completed but have bits missing meaning the board will malfunction.
In my case after doing all the callibrations and PI settings I plugged the LiPo in and the tricopter just throttled up luckly/unluckly for me missing my face/eyes but one of the props hit my arm...12 stitches later 5 in one laceration and 7 in the other I reupload the firmware using the programmer from my 9X project...Hey presto no issues with the KK board.
Looking around the internet on other forums this has been an issue for some time with various incarnations of malfunctions and with various programmers but not with the HK programmer.
From what I saw and remember the KK2 board didn';t go into safe mode once the LiPo was plugged in, be it an issue with the signal from the Rx (OrangeRx) or just an issue with that part of the firmware but the problem didn';t arise whilst setting the board upso could have been an issue with the setup process, which oddly is the same process with all my KK2 boards but this is the first board I have used a cheap programmer to update the firmware.
Draw up your own conclusion but from what I can see:
.Use only the HK programmer and not a cheaper version.
.Check the Firmware packet size in the KKflash tool software to see if they match. (maybe a noticable difference, not sure)
Don';t stand over the craft when you plug the LiPo in...Lesson learnt.

The Paramedic did a good job at lining up my tattoos but apparently was crap at taking up trousers.

****Update****
KK2 v1.5 firmware packet size is 32112bytes so its worth checking that the software has flashed it correctly and its transfered all 32112 bytes of information.

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"

Biffa

Not that it';s going to be much help, but apparently chicks dig scars...

:whistling:
Steve

macspite

OUCH!   :sick:

The only consolation may be that with scars and tattoos you should be able to get served first in most pubs you walk into  :beer2:

A heavy lesson / reminder  for you and all of us to take the props off next time you are doing anything to the ';copter with a battery connected ...

Hope you heal soon and it doesn';t hurt too much.

Gaza07

Ouch hope it heals up quickly and thanks for letting people know  ~~
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6zN99iLCIJea5FCQPKf_g"]YouTube[/url]   [url="https://www.printing-3d.co.uk"]printing-3d[/url]  [url="https://www.thingiverse.com/Gaza07/about"]Thingiverse[/url]  [url="https://www.3d-printworx.co.uk"]3d-printworx[/url]

rokit5

Quote from: macspite on Tuesday,March 26, 2013, 13:15:29
OUCH!   :sick:

The only consolation may be that with scars and tattoos you should be able to get served first in most pubs you walk into  :beer2:

A heavy lesson / reminder  for you and all of us to take the props off next time you are doing anything to the ';copter with a battery connected ...

Hope you heal soon and it doesn';t hurt too much.

I was going to fly it, but tis true...Caution must be taken with the setting up.

SimonS

I';d say that it is probably the board rather than the programmer. I had my quad power up on me while i was adjusting some settings (v 1.5).  Fortunately, as my hand was already close to the centre of the quad I was able to hold it down.
I also had it go into safe mode in flight. That cost me two arms and three props.

Failed again.

As a result it is stuffed at the back of a cupboard.  It might as well go in the bin.  It cannot be trusted.

Balders

Don';t take this as a dig, as it';s certainly not intended to be, but hopefully it will serve as a reminder to everyone to take props off to test new stuff out.

I have been lucky so far, but WILL be taking props off from now on when I do anything.

What sort of props were they by the way? Plastic or carbon?
Growing old is mandatory...Growing up is optional

FPV Guru
BNUC-S qualified
[url="//sbaps.co.uk"]Sbaps.co.uk[/url]

peter_a

I`ve just received my own battle injury , only slight compared to that scar , But has taught me not to under estimate the danger of spinning prop .

guest325

I have to agree 100% about taking props off with electric power, thing is that they don';t stall like ic the just take more current until something gives (usually skin or flesh), that';s what I see as being the only real downside of electric powered models.

rokit5

Quote from: Balders on Tuesday,March 26, 2013, 14:10:01
Don';t take this as a dig, as it';s certainly not intended to be, but hopefully it will serve as a reminder to everyone to take props off to test new stuff out.

I have been lucky so far, but WILL be taking props off from now on when I do anything.

What sort of props were they by the way? Plastic or carbon?
Plastic props.
I was going to fly it not set it up that was all done, This was for its first flight.
No point in removing the props if your going to fly it.

XH558

Not a quad - but I was maidening a Delta prototype which I built to try out elevons ready to build a possible scale Vulcan - it had one pusher prop at the back under the fin...

Flying locally on my own - Prop going at full chat - launching - no finger grips built in to the underneath - big mistake - hand slipped and the prop caught me across the base of the right thumb which stopped the prop with a flesh jarring thump :)

Had to bind it with my hanky as best I could - pack stuff up one handed - climb back over the fence with all my kit one handed - and drive home one handed  :rolleyes:

Wife drove me to hospital and I had several stitches much to the amusement of the nurse - ';playing with toy planes'; etc ...

Another scar from this vicious hobby ... and another lesson learned - build in finger grips on a pusher   :whistling:
David :)
[url="//www.mh434.com"]www.mh434.com[/url]
[url="//www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/"]www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/[/url]

Col_M

Ouch! it goes to show these things are far from toys.

I';m always going to test after making changes with props off I think, I';ve seen enough stories of people getting bitten.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

rokit5

Quote from: Col_M on Tuesday,March 26, 2013, 16:35:50
Ouch! it goes to show these things are far from toys.

I';m always going to test after making changes with props off I think, I';ve seen enough stories of people getting bitten.

I';ve got four KK2 boards and this is the first time its happened, the first time I';ve used a different programmer. On a test flight too, no problems whilst setting up whilst the props were off...****** thing knew I think.

Col_M

Quote from: rokit5 on Tuesday,March 26, 2013, 17:02:38
I';ve got four KK2 boards and this is the first time its happened, the first time I';ve used a different programmer. On a test flight too, no problems whilst setting up whilst the props were off...****** thing knew I think.
Ah ok, that';s worrying, I';m glad I';ve got the programmer from HK now.

Hope your arm heals up soon with no complications.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

fruitsalad

dont grow up,just buy bigger toys!!!!

firey1

I have learnt over the last 2 years after working on helis that even the first plugin of battery i leave the props off and spin up first as a test
makes you more aware when your playing with 500-1200mm rotor spans 
MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

N7KI

rsmith21

What would be helpful is a description of the offending item :) , is there some way to ID it and where did you buy it from, how much is cheep.
KK2, NAZA M/V2 ugrade, Spektrum DX 8, Hubsan X4
Immersion 25Mw vtx, GoPro 4, Black Pearl Display
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

SimonS

Yes, it';s called a KK2 and it';s available from Hobbyking.  It has a mind of its own and will spin the motors while supposedly in safe mode and randomly go into safe mode in flight.

There are other similar threads on other forums with graphic pictures of the blood letting.

rsmith21

:laugh: :laugh: Not the board Simon, the programmer, I hope you were winding me up,  :evil
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

SimonS

No, I am being serious.  Over the last 8 months or  so there have been numerous reports in various forums of this board doing unexpected things and in some cases injuring their owners.

Stick with your Naza.

Hands0n

Is it the board or is it the latest version of the firmware (1.6?). I started out with the KK2 and it didn';t do anything like this. But I only used 1.6 for a short while before replacing it with a HK MultiWii Pro 2.

I had my first prop strike two weeks ago while trying to debug a fault with the quad on the dining table. The props were necessary but I took my eyes off the aircraft for a moment. Only a skin graze. Nothing close to the OP.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

rsmith21

Quote from: SimonS on Sunday,August 04, 2013, 00:07:46
No, I am being serious.  Over the last 8 months or  so there have been numerous reports in various forums of this board doing unexpected things and in some cases injuring their owners.

Stick with your Naza.

:o I';m 90% complete on the KK2 build. I suppose I should complete it now and be very careful with the testing and if its dodgy it will be easy enough to convert to another NAZA .

I';m beginning to think that because this hobby is using so many sophisticated \ robotic parts there will always be an element of failure that could be harmful, they have to be treated with respect.
Walkera 2 axis gimbal

John A

Uh, question, does everyone use ESD handling protocols when handling a KK2 PCB?

Ross

Quote from: John A on Friday,September 13, 2013, 23:38:56
Uh, question, does everyone use ESD handling protocols when handling a KK2 PCB?

......or ANY board with chips on..........Probably not.. Much the same as not taking advice about removing props if working on the  machine and going to run the motors..... (or not).

Nasty cuts there.  Imagine that in the face!!
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

james111

My girlfriend sent me a email off sky news the other day this is what it said shocking really

Teen Killed By Model Helicopter In New York Park

Roman Pirozek, 19, was flying the toy in Calvert Vaux Park in Brooklyn when the accident happened.He is thought to have lost control of the helicopter while performing a stunt, causing its rotor blades to strike his head and throat, the New York Daily News reported.His father is the vice president of the local radio-controlled helicopter enthusiasts'; club, Seaview Rotary Wings Helicopter Club, which uses the park as its base.A spokesman for the Academy of Model Aeronautics in Muncie, Indiana, said he thought Mr Pirozek';s death was only the second caused by a toy helicopter in the US

Ross

Saw that one last week but they say anothermodeller  was killed in Germany last month by a model...not seen it.
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

BadgerG

WOW! Glad it didn';t do more damage. Hope you heal quickly. I just ordered a progammer just like the HK one because I bought a cheapo programmer and couldn';t get it to work for flashing speed controllers. Glad I did. The cheap one is going in the trash. Really sorry for you. I have gotten bit a few times, but nothing like that! Okay I will remove props from now on while testing. :o

jimbo385

Quote from: BadgerG on Thursday,March 20, 2014, 02:30:27
WOW! Glad it didn';t do more damage. Hope you heal quickly. I just ordered a progammer just like the HK one because I bought a cheapo programmer and couldn';t get it to work for flashing speed controllers. Glad I did. The cheap one is going in the trash. Really sorry for you. I have gotten bit a few times, but nothing like that! Okay I will remove props from now on while testing. :o

Where did you get your programmer from? I';m looking for one. I cam across the following on Fleabay and wondered if they wwould work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USBASP-USB-ISP-Programmer-Cable-Converter-AVR-ATMEL-/171253746319?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item27df84ca8f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USBASP-USBISP-Programmer-Cable-10-pin-to-6-Adapter-Atmel-AVR-ATMega-ARDUINO-/141189515734?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item20df8d09d6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USBASP-USBISP-AVR-Programmer-cable-6-pin-Converter-Arduino-KK2-0-Multiwii-/290927870577?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item43bca70271

Thanks.
F450 Clone KK2.0 General Batting around!

FPV550 KK2.0 FPV No gear on it yet!

DJI F350 Naza Lite Naza Experience

FPV 250 With RCTimer Power kit. Pocket Rocket!

Wishlist - Tarot FY680 Pro

guest325