Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,March 29, 2024, 09:44:19

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

2013 vintage AIOP Toss or Upgrade

Started by Droidling, Saturday,August 27, 2016, 00:06:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Droidling

I have been away for a long time. In 2013 I built my first Quad. It has a Crius AOIP in it, but there are no markings for a version that I can find. It is running MegaPirate firmware. It seems to fly just fine. I assume things have advanced a bit in the last 3 years. I was wondering what the latest firmware that would run on this old controller would be.

I';m also wondering if I';d be better off replacing the old flight controller with a newer model. I saw a thread where a Pixhawk PX4 was recommended. Would it be a huge endeavor to connect my existing GPS, and telemetry radio to the PX4?

dirtyharry

I';d say keep it as is , my "old " crius board does a fine job and isn';t cluttered up with junk I don';t need or use.

Droidling

Quote from: dirtyharry on Saturday,August 27, 2016, 02:16:09
I';d say keep it as is , my "old " crius board does a fine job and isn';t cluttered up with junk I don';t need or use.

What about upgrading the firmware? Do I have any options?

guest325

I had a Crius AIOP a few years ago and am now running an APM mini, all as I can say is if it works ok don';t fix it!
It';s too easy to get suckered in to the newer is better trap; the newer fc';s are more sensitive to vibration so need more carefully setting up, I don';t intend upgrading to a 32 bit fc at all - no need for me.

nate80

Vintage - 3 year old - flight controller. That made me chuckle!

Funny, but true just how far things have come in this field within a few short years.

I don';t have any experience with that fc but as others say, if it ain';t broke...

dirtyharry

Not sure if their are any software upgrades for a crius AIO but I doubt it.

On a side note the newer 32 bit boards (naze 32  boards) running cleanflight and baseflight have always had pretty crap  GPS /waypoint / RTH software , even though most of the code was ripped from multiwii it just never realy worked.

Their is a new fork of cleanflight called Inav and this gives excellent gps/waypoint /autoland etc features for the naze boards.

Otherwise i';d look into apm mini boards or if you want to spend the extra a pixhawk. These options are probably more suited to your existing hardware but I dont personally have experience of them.

Droidling

Quote from: dirtyharry on Saturday,August 27, 2016, 20:31:02
Not sure if their are any software upgrades for a crius AIO but I doubt it.

Flightplanner did an auto update when I started using it again. I thought I might need to update the controller firmware to use it. I guess I';ll find out when I start messing with it.

On a side note the newer 32 bit boards (naze 32  boards) running cleanflight and baseflight have always had pretty crap  GPS /waypoint / RTH software , even though most of the code was ripped from multiwii it just never realy worked.

Their is a new fork of cleanflight called Inav and this gives excellent gps/waypoint /autoland etc features for the naze boards.

Otherwise i';d look into apm mini boards or if you want to spend the extra a pixhawk. These options are probably more suited to your existing hardware but I dont personally have experience of them.

It looks like the consensus is to leave well enough alone.

I am feeling the need to tinker, so building something new may be in order. The run down of some of the recent FCs might be real useful in that regard. I was just looking at a Eachine Racer 250 FPV kit and trying to decide between the Naze32 and the CC3D board.

After that I suppose what I really want is a good camera platform. I';ll take a look at the AMP and PIXHawk to see see what makes more sense. I have to warn you now I';m an addicted to bells and whistles, so I';ll probably talk myself into the PIXHawk.

Thanks for the help!