Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,March 28, 2024, 22:09:21

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Bad Raven:
01 Dec 2023 06:59:57
New Simulator Section started!   :beer2:
Bad Raven:
17 Jun 2023 06:52:23
Yes, smaller, same as lots of things as time passes.
Andy7:
08 Jun 2023 22:49:18
 ~~
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,420
  • Total Topics: 20,260
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

How the stories start

Started by Powernumpty, Thursday,June 02, 2016, 10:41:04

Previous topic - Next topic

seafax

I flew my first rc plane over 40 years ago and I have to say that if a racing quad flew over my head in close proxinity to the ground and I thought the pilot didn';t know I was there I';d feel as if I was in danger too. This thing to take away from this video isn';t so much the woman';s over-reaction but the blase attitude that many young rc proximity flyers have towards ensuring that what they do is actually safe for non-participants as well as each other.

Col.

DarkButterfly

That didn';t even look close to hitting anything, the only one I could see breaking the law is the woman for taking the quad and then lying about it and lying to the operator on the phone, when all those guys wanted was their equipment back.
Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386"]https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386[/url]

nub

do you know who she is?

i would have posted that on her FB page or something just to show what a ****** of woman she really is :laugh:
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Hands0n

The woman';s reaction does appear to be completely wrong if not illegal (theft of someone';s property to which she has no right).   She handled the situation completely wrong and drew confrontation upon herself from the outset.

Clearly, if there was a problem with proximity flying in the area she should have (a) taken a short video as evidence and then (b) made a report to the appropriate authorities who she very evidently had the phone number for, or the local Police.    It is wholly evident that she did neither of those things, instead taking the law into her own hands. 

Her behavior was inexcusable as much as unacceptable in my opinion.   The attending Police officers on the other hand were impeccable in their handling of the situation. The attended, gathered information in a calm and collected manner and carried out their lawful duty while also offering sound advice to the pilot/s.
--
Danny
"Its better than bad, its good"

Current FCs: Pixhawk, APM 2.6, Naza M V2, Naze32, Flip32+ CC3D, KK2.1.5
Aircraft: miniMax Hex, DJI 550 (clone) TBS Disco, 450 Firefly, 250 Pro, ZMR250, Hubsan X4, Bixler 2

Powernumpty

I think it highlights the new age of the hobby, users don';t perhaps use defensive actions when setting up a meet (looks like they might have actually needed to register and get a ticket/pass from the park) and the public assume anything to do with Quadcopters is bad so they are justified in calls to police rather than opening a dialogue in person.
That said the woman sounds a little off-centre to say the least and her husband doing the distraction thing makes them both look dodgy as hell.

I';m glad they got the video, I';m glad it is out there and if anyone can actually see close calls in the footage then maybe we can all learn a thing or two.

I personally think dog walkers should be banned, they don';t have licenses, don';t have to take any courses and the things can be deadly if not properly controlled  ::)

Revs

Wow that was crazy. I';d put money on her being a republican, they have an irrational fear of.. well.. everything :laugh:

wobblybob

" this drone nearly took me and my dog out"

It';s either a fish eye lens or she plays Prop for Wigan  ::) A Chinook would come off worse .
A cheap jibe I know .
But this has compo face picture with exaggerated claims  media story(obligatory Phantom+Go Pro stock image pic)   , with an ambulance chasing solicitor in the wings  written all over it .
Alien frame,Emax 2213 935 KV motors Emax 30amp ESC,AMP2.7,X8R Rx,

Friskle

Quote from: seafax on Thursday,June 02, 2016, 11:18:47
I flew my first rc plane over 40 years ago and I have to say that if a racing quad flew over my head in close proxinity to the ground and I thought the pilot didn';t know I was there I';d feel as if I was in danger too. This thing to take away from this video isn';t so much the woman';s over-reaction but the blase attitude that many young rc proximity flyers have towards ensuring that what they do is actually safe for non-participants as well as each other.

Col.

She was nowhere near it, as you can clearly see when it first hit the ground, until she walked to it and took a pic saying that it nearly hit her. they were no where near her, but then, even if it was close, that still gives no right to walk off and clearly hide it...thats theft, no matter the circumstance. If me, the video would have gone to the Police the next day, as it also recorded all her profanity, and demanded she was charged with theft and verbal abuse.

Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

Kellarly

';Do you have my quad?';

';No.';

';So if I flick this switch here and turn the throttle up to full, that';s going to be ok with you then?';

';Here';s your quad back...';

/joke

Also, the first thing she does is post about it on her social media site of choice?!!?
Tiny Whoop (6mm, 7mm)
Babyhawk-R 2.5
QAV 180
Bantam Boxer 210

seafax

Quote from: Friskle on Friday,June 03, 2016, 11:40:36
She was nowhere near it
I didn';t in any was condone the woman';s behaviour, if fact I specifically avoided it since it was so obviously bad. So she was nowhere near the it in the few seconds we got to see... but if it HAD buzzed her head a minute or two beforehand do you really think we';d have got to see it happen? I seriously doubt it somehow.

Powernumpty

That thought occurred to me, why not post the entire video, that';s why I don';t fall down totally on either side, she is obviously out of order taking the kit, the verbal abuse and lying but responsible quad users would not fly where people can go.
To fly fast (I assume) you have to concentrate on direction and quad mass making constant judgements on putting it where you want it, add in a pair of walkers where you don';t expect and I could imagine getting too close to one while trying to avoid the other.
I personally hate to see dog walkers anywhere near where I am flying becasue that is instantly (minimum) two targets to constantly monitor while flying, also dogs instictively are drawn to investigate something that does not seem to have noticed them, I';ve had a border collie with extra long (painful) nails jump up me while flying a plank at some LOS distance (had to concentrait of the craft) , really unpleasant and the owner did nothing, now I';d prefer to take my chances being barked at by a farmer who does not like visitors than deal with tracking dogs, walker1, walker2, fullsize aircraft, birds etc.
Race quads aren';t inherantly dangerous but they do need to be flow where walkers can';t go.

The real wide angle lenses can make something close appear further away that';s why I count "steps to the camera" rather than apparent distance, she was about thirty two steps from the quad when it landed.

Paul01

He was in a designated flying area though, also from my experience mini quads are usually flown with around 90 degrees field of view, not the wider 173 degrees that GoPro';s have.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

TBS Tango 2
FatShark Dominator V3 with RapidFire Module
Armattan Chameleon-BF3.5.7
TBS Source One, KL100 Micro, Mobula7 HD
DJI Mavic Pro
[url="https://www.youtube.com/c/paul01"]https://www.youtube.com/c/paul01[/url]

Fletch

Quote from: Kellarly on Friday,June 03, 2016, 23:28:04
';Do you have my quad?';

';No.';

';So if I flick this switch here and turn the throttle up to full, that';s going to be ok with you then?';

';Here';s your quad back...';

/joke

Also, the first thing she does is post about it on her social media site of choice?!!?
That';s exactly what I';d have done when she said she didn';t have it.

Powernumpty

Quote from: Paul01 on Saturday,June 04, 2016, 08:00:33
He was in a designated flying area though, also from my experience mini quads are usually flown with around 90 degrees field of view, not the wider 173 degrees that GoPro';s have.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I was trying to say that anyone who thinks she was close because of the wide angle view should see how long it takes to be at the craft. I watch too much youtube, there is always someone that will get an idea "wide angle makes things look further away" and ignore the facts like she had to walk over to the thing.
That said I still think even if they are flying in a designated plank area they should consider quads greater use of low level airspace and inability to glide out of someone';s way if a motor fails.

IMO we need to be realistic about the small risk to people and animals, go somewhere they can';t or at least fly defensively (like observing the 50m thing). To me this looks like a designated area for flying with paths alongside, walking on that path I';d probably not be bothered if a glider was high above me, but a quad within even 30m, not too sure unless I was convinced the person controlling it was competent and the thing well maintained.

I know this subject always breaks down into sides on here but I think if we don';t give the public ammunition it is going to be easier to keep going without blanket sky is falling "mumsnet" type bans.

That woman? absolute nutcase behaviour but the quad guy? he should post his entire video from the flight.

Edit:
Just looked at the first bit of the video, hard to see but the quad tumbles past the (think it';s her) woman closer than it ends up but still not that close, must have flipped/cartwheeled about twenty times (using the "k" coma and fullstop keys to navigate frames on youtube) to save getting into an argument I think he was probably justified in flying where he was in the belief it could be carried out in a safe maner.

Next question purely for curiosity how did he lose signal there, or does he mean he crashed and then it went into failsafe?

Friskle

I agree, but then it does not matter to some, she knew full well it was an RC area, we have the same issues, clearly sign posted at every gate to the area, they can stand near`ish, clearly see you flying, yet will still continue onto the airfield to play ball with thier dogs, to many dog walkers think they own the area they decide to walk, to many dog walkers in my experience are completely blatantly ignorant and have no consideration for anyone else, im a dog owner myself, but would respect that if i could see people flying, i wouldnt walk right onto an airstrip infront of 8 people and start throwing a ball for the dog.

you speak to them, they reply like you have done something wrong asking them to move..

i understand its upto us to be aware of people coming near etc...but imho, it should be just as much upto them to be ..well..simply less damn ignorant.
Yuneec Q500+
Yuneec Typhoon H
Nano QX2
Nano QX3D
Blade 180QX
Blade 200QX
DJI 450 frame + Naza M V2 = GPS
ZMR 250
250 Pro - Dys 2300kv motors , Naze32 Acro
300 Folding Frame sporting a Naza Lite + GPS

Elmattbo

Shared public recreation spaces always have an issue where people tend to think that they have a greater right to do what they enjoy than anyone else. Try cycling around the Richmond park paths and you';ll see what I mean.
That woman was an idiot; rather than cry wolf she should have gone over to talk to the guys, explained her fear and got some answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAKM05Pl2P83gaE9EEVfFvw"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAKM05Pl2P83gaE9EEVfFvw[/url]

nub

it';s gone viral! :laugh:

came up in ma FB earlier.
Point and click.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

DarkButterfly

Why use 4 motors when you can use 6?

YouTube channel
[url="https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386"]https://www.youtube.com/user/RobR386[/url]

nate80

Quote from: Elmattbo on Monday,June 06, 2016, 12:12:35
Shared public recreation spaces always have an issue where people tend to think that they have a greater right to do what they enjoy than anyone else. Try cycling around the Richmond park paths and you';ll see what I mean.
That woman was an idiot; rather than cry wolf she should have gone over to talk to the guys, explained her fear and got some answers.

So true.  I visited the recreation ground yesterday which is split into 3 areas.  There';s a playing field the size of 2 full size football pitches, a smaller field which has longer grass, and a kids playground.  I always go check out every area and assess the best area to fly before I set up.  I don';t want to get in people';s way or worry them.  But, wherever I go people always decide that';s the spot they want to be too, because, well... why should someone with a dangerous and unsavoury drone have the right to use the space!

Dog walkers (who aren';t actually allowed on the field with their pets, but conversely believe they own it) get angry because their dogs chase the quad.  Kids with footballs and the like suddenly appear and mosey on down the playing field toward me in the far corner, which often seems to anger their parents (or even other kid';s parents who practice there dirty stares in my direction) - as if I invited them to come bug me?!?  And other groups just appear from nowhere and hang around watching and commenting.  Those people are mostly just interested, but you';re always waiting for the one who';s decided that anyone with a drone is a criminal and must be stopped (or at the very least harassed and told what a terrible a human being they are)!   :evil

Jokers.   :wack0

Bad Raven

From a few years ago now, I was flying in a public park, a very VERY large open space over a mile long and nearly the same width, all short grass, no obstructions. Bylaws clearly posted made and showed this to be legal.

There one day on my own flying small foam planes. We tended to fly from the middle of the area, as sweeping round the area super control line style rather than flying from one side kept the area in vision and nobody could walk into danger unnoticed.  NO others around.

Three young ladies chatting and thumbing their mobiles walked into the park, straight across to where I was, and sat down beside me. Now ignoring all the obvious jokes like my personal magnetism, that I';d pulled, etc, etc...........what on earth was actually going on in their heads?

Cheredanine

I was flying today on a football field and a class from the local primary school turned up, the teacher walked the straight pas me into the middle of the field.

I ditch immediately (and I do mean ditched) and walked across, picked up the quad and left.

I am fine with all of that.
But somewhat surprised the teacher didn';t speak to me, either when he walked past me or when I went to pick up the quad, or falter at all, leading the entire class straigh on whilst the quad was still in the air

nate80

Quote from: Bad Raven on Monday,June 06, 2016, 15:30:44
Three young ladies chatting and thumbing their mobiles walked into the park, straight across to where I was, and sat down beside me. Now ignoring all the obvious jokes like my personal magnetism, that I';d pulled, etc, etc...........what on earth was actually going on in their heads?

Maybe they wanted to have a go?  Perhaps they were secret R/C geeks and just love watching planes fly.  Could it be they took some sort of offence to you using the park and decided to form a sit-down protest!?  Or maybe it';s just like cars in a car park.  No matter where you go in the area people will always come and plonk themselves around and close to you.   :laugh:

Quote from: Cheredanine on Monday,June 06, 2016, 17:05:11
I was flying today on a football field and a class from the local primary school turned up, the teacher walked the straight pas me into the middle of the field.

I ditch immediately (and I do mean ditched) and walked across, picked up the quad and left.

I am fine with all of that.
But somewhat surprised the teacher didn';t speak to me, either when he walked past me or when I went to pick up the quad, or falter at all, leading the entire class straigh on whilst the quad was still in the air

That is a bit odd?  Especially as the teacher has a duty of care for the kids safety.  I';d have thought they';d have spoken if only to find out if you would be much longer or whatever.

Bad Raven

Its the righteous indignation syndrome, like drivers who hurtle blindly round a corner at dangerous speed, then get upset if they get baulked by an opposing direction car who';s only crime is being on the same planet as them.

The other day I had a mother with kids in car (the inevitable black 4x4) spitting feathers at me, she';d turned left at lights racing the change to red only to find me waiting in the right turn lane at the lights my way indicating right with a long line of cars up my inside waiting to go straight on, and her side of the road obstructed by a parked car. She slewed to a stop (just) and then was waving at me to reverse out of her way!!

Bad Raven

Woman arrives at private field, parks car in pits area, and starts to walk straight square across our active landing strip heading for distant woodland.  I politely call her back and point out model aircraft are flying and what she did was dangerous.

She stated that "then you need signs, where are the warning signs?"

I say, what, like that one (two metres away which she has just walked past) ............. or that one  (on the entry to the parking on the drivers side) or that one (part way down the only access) or the one at the entry gate??

Should';ve gone to Specsavers?   :banghead:

apollo7

The lady in the video was bang out of order, but it goes to show that we have to be careful at all times, where i do most of my flying is public and i land if people turn up, and TBH i dont think i would get away with a fast fpv on this site (good job i dont like fast fpv`s)
Volantex Ranger 1600/2000, Ranger 1200 G2, Phoenix S 1600 AR900 Miniskyhunter, ZOHD Dart 635 and a few 680 batwings plus old faithful C1 chaser and a lot of eagletree guardians