Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Friday,April 26, 2024, 00:47:33

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

Setting up a martinez controller?

Started by ched, Sunday,October 23, 2016, 22:53:08

Previous topic - Next topic

ched

I have a martinez controller on a brushless gimbal that I don';t know the history of.

When I power it on a light on the control board comes on and one on the imu lights but the motors don';t even twitch.
I have been reading lots and lots. From what I can find out it is a BGC1.0/2.0/2.1 version. This board uses a Silicone Labs (Silabs) CP2102 USB controller chip which means you must have the Pololu Silabs drivers to communicate with it. From: http://www.itsqv.com/QVM/index.php?title=How_To_-_Martinez_Brushless_Gimbal_Controller_Set-Up

So all good so far. But I don';t know what firmware it has so no idea what gui to use. So I am trying to flash it with BruGui FW. The problem is that I cant get the Arduino software to flash the FW. I keep getting the same message about ';avrdude: stk500_getsync (): not in sync: resp = 0x00';.
I have tried different boards in the Arduino software (on board chip has 328 on) and i still same. Tried with usb and with FTDI with and without battery but always same error.

If no one has any ideas do you know how to ';talk'; to a Tarrot 2D (ZYX22) controller with the USB adapter? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__44329__Tarot_ZYZ22_GOPRO_Brushless_Camera_Gimbal_Controller.html Want to make sure its ok before buying connectors to plug in motors and IMU.

Not having much luck with gimbal controllers.......

Anyone any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
I try :-)

H_Simpson

Have you tried downloading the files attached to the product on the HK site?  ALl the instructions and links to the GUI/fware/instructions are there.

ched

Quote from: H_Simpson on Monday,October 24, 2016, 15:08:04
Have you tried downloading the files attached to the product on the HK site?  ALl the instructions and links to the GUI/fware/instructions are there.

Cheers for the reply. Yes tried those instructions on the Tarot but no response from it.
I think I may need to reflash the boot loader on the Martinez controller so have a USBASP on it';s way. Hopefully that will help.

It is all so frustrating as I don';t seem to get any response from the boards so cant search for error messages. Normally I find a way that almost works and I get some feedback and can then work out what is wrong or at least go searching in a better direction. Seems like BGC are not that common and there are many different ones so not huge amounts of experience out there.

Oh well fingers crosses the USBASP will help.

Thanks

H_Simpson

You could try SBG : http://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/32bit/

Somebody may have loaded a nulled version of the boot loader.  Usually takes up to 2.3b I think from my ageing memory.

ched

Quote from: H_Simpson on Monday,October 24, 2016, 18:28:03
You could try SBG : http://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/32bit/

Somebody may have loaded a nulled version of the boot loader.  Usually takes up to 2.3b I think from my ageing memory.
Thanks very much. Oldest version I can find so far is 2.4b. I will continue to look. Thanks for the clue.
2.4b didn';t work. It just doesn';t connect...

Once again thanks for the idea.

Update: Found the older versions http://www.simplebgc.com/eng/downloads/ . Tried 2.3 but still no connection :(
I will keep reading.

H_Simpson

Tbh, it sounds like a driver issue, have you tried all the drivers on that site?  I do recall having a bit of a game with my first controller, but got them working in the end. 
That';s why I bought a zenmuse!

ched

Quote from: H_Simpson on Monday,October 24, 2016, 19:19:02
Tbh, it sounds like a driver issue, have you tried all the drivers on that site?  I do recall having a bit of a game with my first controller, but got them working in the end. 
That';s why I bought a zenmuse!
Thanks. I think you are right that it';s a driver issue. I can';t even get the serial connection in Arduino to reply from help. Just have a solid red light no idea if it';s supposed to have any other led (other than the blue on the IMU).
I might just spend another few hrs trying different drivers.
Thanks again. Hopefully you have given me the clues to sort it out :)
Thanks.

H_Simpson

Hope you get it working.  I';m slightly concerned that it does nothing when powered up though.  As you say, at very least it should twist itself sideways and inside out. 

ched

Quote from: H_Simpson on Monday,October 24, 2016, 21:12:03
Hope you get it working.  I';m slightly concerned that it does nothing when powered up though.  As you say, at very least it should twist itself sideways and inside out.
I';m slightly concerned too. It does twitch a bit when I tough the USBasp pins. I haven';t really looked at it intensively yet. If the USBasp doesn';t bring it back to life I will test the motor windings, all the connections, maybe even get the scope out to see what';s happening.

Cheers for the advice, always nice to have pointers gives me more ideas.
Thanks.

H_Simpson

Also, some USB cables are not suitable for use for flashing firmware, stop me if I';m teaching grandma to suck eggs!

ched

Quote from: H_Simpson on Monday,October 24, 2016, 21:26:16
Also, some USB cables are not suitable for use for flashing firmware, stop me if I';m teaching grandma to suck eggs!
Tried a few usb cables. This grandma can get all the help he can to learn how to suck eggs  ::)
As the saying goes ';you dont know what you dont know';
Thanks.

ched

USBasp arrived today. Connected up and burnt bootloader. Went OK, well did after I installed correct drivers. Then installed BRUgi via usb cable and bingo success, well sort off.
I couldn';t get any IMU signals on the live view of the Bru GUI. After tracing the cables I realised that the cable connector had 4 pins the IMU had 5!!!! So buzzed them out and plugged the connector into the correct 4 pins and then I had signals.  ::)

So it now powers up and I have the PID';s etc to configure. I have loaded a default setup that comes with the BRU FW although it says GoPro and I have a sj4000 on it. It seems to work but needs a lot of tweeking. Motors vibrating so guess P term too high but at least it';s a start.

So next thing to do is balance it with my sj4000 then I can start to tune it.

So cheers for your help and encouragement.

H_Simpson

Nice one!  Unless you';re unlucky enough to get a total duffer, it';s just a matter of perseverance.  It';s been over a year since I last set one up but I found SBG gui to be preferable. 

GdLookinMingeR

Just so you know there is about 17grams weight difference between the hero 3 and sj4000

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/SJCAM_SJ4000_Action_Camera_Black_vs_GoPro_HERO3_White_Edition_Action_Camera_vs_Drift_HD_Action_Camera_vs_SJCAM_SJ4000_Action_Camera_Silver/BHitems/1072775-REG_1034048-REG_816260-REG_1073567-REG

(weight bit is at the bottom)
So you could just add a little weight before you try
modding the standard gopro settings in the gimbal.

Kind regards
Jay
Carbon Tricopter with KK2 mini because you have to own a Tri and Falcon Evo FPV (rebuild again) with fatshark 600mw vtx & pz2040 cam. New addition (hidden from the missus!) 250 quad.

ched

Quote from: GdLookinMingeR on Wednesday,October 26, 2016, 23:52:23
Just so you know there is about 17grams weight difference between the hero 3 and sj4000

(weight bit is at the bottom)
So you could just add a little weight before you try
modding the standard gopro settings in the gimbal.

Kind regards
Jay

Great find, thanks Jay. Hope Cleanflight and usb is OK?

ched

Quote from: H_Simpson on Wednesday,October 26, 2016, 22:55:27
Nice one!  Unless you';re unlucky enough to get a total duffer, it';s just a matter of perseverance.  It';s been over a year since I last set one up but I found SBG gui to be preferable.
Cheers. I watched a utube vid comparison on the 2 and they were very close but the guy said the BRUgi was slightly better and as I have this working now  :smiley: I think I will give tuning it a go. With the added weight  ::)
Thanks for the suggestion.