Welcome to Multi-Rotor UK. Please login or sign up.

Thursday,April 25, 2024, 08:43:09

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Gaza07:
23 Apr 2024 08:09:45
The Domain expires for the forum in 60 days, I'm not going to renew it this time unless I see any activity  :beer2:
Gaza07:
20 Apr 2024 18:02:50
Is there anyone who would like to see this forum stay open ? :shrug:
hoverfly:
17 Apr 2024 17:15:13
 :rolleyes:
Bad Raven:
26 Mar 2024 08:41:05
 :(
Andy7:
25 Mar 2024 14:49:21
An excess of work and rain.  :thumbdown:
Bad Raven:
23 Mar 2024 18:12:38
Almost a personal Blog, it would seem. LOTS of members, but NO posts.  :-/   :shrug:
Gaza07:
06 Mar 2024 16:59:49
Anyone still here  :shrug:
ched:
24 Dec 2023 11:48:48
Hope you all have a Great Christmas and a happy New Year.
Bad Raven:
20 Dec 2023 06:17:47
 ~~   :beer2: 
Gaza07:
19 Dec 2023 22:20:27
Merry Christmas All  :beer2:
Members
  • Total Members: 8,195
  • Latest: lokloks
Stats
  • Total Posts: 201,427
  • Total Topics: 20,261
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 530
  • (Tuesday,June 26, 2012, 08:34:46 )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Theme Changer

3d - Printworx

QUADCOPTER SETUP FOR BEGINNERS!

Started by bunnygirl80, Sunday,March 17, 2013, 22:46:50

Previous topic - Next topic

bunnygirl80

:whistling:
Always smile because you never know who could be falling in love with it. :) Drone Operator in North Wales. [url="//www.aerialworx.co.uk"]www.aerialworx.co.uk[/url]

teslahed

Stef,

Some of the items you recommend for beginners i would definitely not recommend.

1 x Sywalker Quattro 4-x20amp ESC - £29.99 - http://unmannedtechshop.co.uk/rc-gear/bl-motor-esc/skywalker-quattro-4x-20a-esc-for-quadcopters.html

This 4 in 1 ESC is expensive, heavy and hard to flash with decent multirotor specific firmware. I would recommend 4 cheap individual ESCs flashed with SimonK firmware over the quattro. For beginners the rctimer ones are ideal as they are already flashed;

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=779&productname=

The flight controller you recommend;

Flight Controller – Multiwii SE V2 Software - £35 - http://unmannedtechshop.co.uk/multi-rotor/flight-controller-boards/multiwii-se-flight-control-board.html

Is old technology and overpriced. You can get cheaper basic multiwii boards here;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31610__MultiWii_Lite_V1_0_Flight_Controller_w_FTDI_UK_warehouse_.html

It doesn';t have the barometer, but the sensors it does have are much more modern (MPU6050) so it';s going to be a better performing board for basic flying.

RCtimer do the crius all in one pro very cheaply;

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=765&productname=

which is a similar price to the one you recommend, only the latest technology with a better processor (more memory).

And the KK2 is an excellent cheap, basic board for beginners who don';t want to mess about with software and code;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31656__Hobbyking_KK2_0_Multi_rotor_LCD_Flight_Control_Board_UK_Warehouse_.html

GPS can be gotten MUCH cheaper here;

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=763&productname=

and you don';t need the annoying i2c board if you get the crius all in one pro flight controller as it has serial ports - which saves cost and mess.

The batteries you recommend are contentious;

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1717.0

But some people find they work well.

Thanks for posting though! Some useful info in there and hopefully it will stimulate some discussion too :smiley:

One circlip short of a quadcopter.
 1 lobe short of an antenna.

firey1

My quad was a RTF ($180.00) with cruis all in one pro 1222 motors and the quattro 4 in 1 and 9x45 props  but when received it i stripped it down reconfigured it to the way i wanted it and all the other extras i got off ebay (gps,minim osd,bluetooth, 10x45 props and the fpv camera and TX / RX
I think the total build cost was around $450.00 us

MIKE

550 RC Spider quad for FPV
550 Alien quad (my sons now)
F450 quad
450 size bell 212, MD500,Augusta 109
600 size Huey running apm 2.5  3 planes  Taranis and 9xr  radios Skyzone FPV goggles

peter_a

At first I was going to get a fully built quadcopter off Peter King , But where is the fun getting a fully built , one model fit all.
Looking at what I`ve spent so far and what I still got to purchase it`s going to cost me a lot more.
Radio control modeling is more affordable now than it was when I first started , but it`s still a money pit.   

guest325

Quote from: peter_a on Monday,March 18, 2013, 11:51:07
At first I was going to get a fully built quadcopter off Peter King , But where is the fun getting a fully built , one model fit all.
Looking at what I`ve spent so far and what I still got to purchase it`s going to cost me a lot more.
Radio control modeling is more affordable now than it was when I first started , but it`s still a money pit.
Part of the reason I got mine off Peter King, I know at some time I shall design (in progress) and make my own but at the time I wanted a quick pain free result.

steve fh

As some one who has made the move into Multi Rotors in the last month and went the full self build and Open Source Flight Controller route one thing i would do differently with hind sight is have started with a Naza flight controller.

My thinking is that all other Fight controllers with open source firmware add another variable into the mix when it comes to getting a quad into the air for the 1st time and learning to fly one.

With Multiwii or MaggaP a new pilot is trying to get a stable set up and learn to fly all at once with no real frame of reference as to if it';s their lack of flying skill or the set up that has the machine bouncing off the ground.

Probably the ideal way is to self build with an open source flight controller and then get it set up by a practised pilot as there is no question that self build gives you a far better understanding of what you are flying and how to fix it.

Also why you are building multirotor is a factor in the best route in. IE if like me you know you want a stable camera platform or FPV machine then probably a Naza with GPS is the pain free route in. However if you want to fly 3D aerobatics then open source all the way.

BNUC-S Pilot with PFAW.

[url="//www.capturedmotion.co.uk"]www.capturedmotion.co.uk[/url]

dp106

My two pence worth, it is possible to build your own quad and avoid soldering, I';m proof of that :-)  The multistar esc';s from hobbyking come with bullet connectors already attached. Not sure they';re easy to flash though, haven';t tried that. All you then need is a matching power distribution cable and it';s plug and play :-)

You can also get some from unmannedtech with bullet connectors and flashed with the Simonk firmware but they';re a lot more expensive but no waiting 3 weeks for delivery!

+1 for the kk2 board also. No worrying about how to connect it to your computer, what files you need and software to get your head round.

teslahed

Quote from: steve fh on Monday,March 18, 2013, 13:52:26
As some one who has made the move into Multi Rotors in the last month and went the full self build and Open Source Flight Controller route one thing i would do differently with hind sight is have started with a Naza flight controller.

The KK2 controller is an excellent choice for new builders / fliers. It';s much simpler than the NAZA but the auto-level works really well which will help new fliers. It';s much easier to setup than most flight controllers (including multiwii) as you don';t even have to use a computer to configure it. It';s all done with the screen and buttons on the flight controller.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24723__Hobbyking_KK2_0_Multi_rotor_LCD_Flight_Control_Board.html

The NAZA is more stable, especially if you are using the GPS features, bit does cost about 10 x the amount.

teslahed

Quote from: steve fh on Monday,March 18, 2013, 13:52:26

My thinking is that all other Fight controllers with open source firmware add another variable into the mix when it comes to getting a quad into the air for the 1st time and learning to fly one.

With Multiwii or MaggaP a new pilot is trying to get a stable set up and learn to fly all at once with no real frame of reference as to if it';s their lack of flying skill or the set up that has the machine bouncing off the ground.

Probably the ideal way is to self build with an open source flight controller and then get it set up by a practised pilot as there is no question that self build gives you a far better understanding of what you are flying and how to fix it.

Also why you are building multirotor is a factor in the best route in. IE if like me you know you want a stable camera platform or FPV machine then probably a Naza with GPS is the pain free route in. However if you want to fly 3D aerobatics then open source all the way.

jimbo385

Ok.

I';m a newbe to Multi Rotors and I';ve bought myself a Twister. It does fly well but I know that it is not a stable as a heavier and more dynamic model.

I don';t mind building myself or ready built.

So what are the options available that will not break the bank but is a suitable next stage or beyond?

Quad or Tri?

Cheers.
F450 Clone KK2.0 General Batting around!

FPV550 KK2.0 FPV No gear on it yet!

DJI F350 Naza Lite Naza Experience

FPV 250 With RCTimer Power kit. Pocket Rocket!

Wishlist - Tarot FY680 Pro

Ross

One piece of advice not given. Do not rush it.
I think probably more failures occur, because inexperienced  people are  in too much of a hurry to see a result.
Let's be careful out there.
SAFETY is.. NO accident.

ddczwood

i think it';s better to stay with current quad and practise one and one more time :wack0

Col_M

Another tip I';d mention for a first build is to keep it cheap and simple!

Don';t buy an expensive frame, gimbal, FPV gear, OSD, landing gear etc. they';ll only over complicate things and get broken when you crash while learning to fly.

Also don';t add the extras above to your initial orders, wait a few months otherwise you';ll only be tempted to add them just to try them out. A good point to start moving on is when you can do figure 8';s relatively smoothly in stabilise/self level mode or even better in acro/rate mode.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

flybywire

A well setup Naza or Wookong M is well within the abillity of the raw beginer, either in GPS or GPS/Atti mode.  Manual would not be recommended, unless you have deep pockets and a 10 acre field to practice in!

Forgot to mention, a SIM is great for ';nose in'; practice etc

As far as small to medium multi';s go I think the HK Afro';s are hard to beat.  THey are pre flashed with SimonK, and can easily be updated via a cheap USB interface which utilises the signal wire.  I have mine on my 550 hex, smooth as silk!  :laugh:
Blog: [url="http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff"]http://ajwillis303.wix.com/stuff[/url]
The spiritual home of fpv large
Keep it emax, capiche?
Hardware? sure, I got hardware!

Col_M

Quote from: flybywire on Friday,November 15, 2013, 16:16:49 Manual would not be recommended
A lot of people like their hands held when learning but my skill went up like a rocket once I got my Blade mQX and had to learn to fly manual mode. If you do it right you can even learn to fly manual without doing any damage, I wouldn';t recommend it but it is possible, if you can fight the urge to do too much too soon it will pay off massively.
It';d be good to try to fly manual once you can fly a bit in stabilise though, just take little steps.
TBS Discovery : DRQ-250 : Q450 : Blade mQX

kilby

A vote for the Blade family from me too.

The Blade mqx is a good solution and the Nano qx is even nicer (and cheaper) and I assume the new one will be even better (with 3 flying modes)

I would tend to vote against the Hubsan x4 as I have two of them one which was fine and one which is as unstable as Kerry Katonia in the presence of ....... (well anything actually)

I';m told that there where two releases of them and the early one is dung, so unless you can check it out before buying I would avoid them, they';re also a little bit small for an easy life

Not much kit, but what I have I like
Armattan Tilt 2, Morphite 180, Quark 150, Decapitated NanoQX
Taranis+

guest325

Couldn';t agree more than what has been said, learn to fly los and in manual mode, be patient and set yourself sensible goals and stick with it until you can honestly say you know what you are doing - then play with the clever things; can';t go wrong - initially it may be painful but it';s well worth the effort!

Waas

Hi all,
I am Waas and I am a beginner.
I got a Quad Copter with Multiwii/Megapirate AIO Pro FC board
with Turnigy 9XR Radio.
I downloaded with new version of firmware 3.0.1R3.
Now before its lift from the ground it flips and crash. I never manage to hover any time yet.
On the ground everything works fine with the mission planner connected. I calibrated everything.

I connect the ESC/Motors as below
Pin 2 from the FC board goes to front Left CW
Pin 3 from the FC board goes to rear right CW
Pin 5 from the FC board goes to front right CCW
Pin 6 from the FC board goes to rear left CCW
Can anyone please confirm is this connections are correct.

cgcrute

Quote from: Waas on Wednesday,January 15, 2014, 22:53:09
Hi all,
I am Waas and I am a beginner.
I got a Quad Copter with Multiwii/Megapirate AIO Pro FC board
with Turnigy 9XR Radio.
I downloaded with new version of firmware 3.0.1R3.
Now before its lift from the ground it flips and crash. I never manage to hover any time yet.
On the ground everything works fine with the mission planner connected. I calibrated everything.

I connect the ESC/Motors as below
Pin 2 from the FC board goes to front Left CW
Pin 3 from the FC board goes to rear right CW
Pin 5 from the FC board goes to front right CCW
Pin 6 from the FC board goes to rear left CCW
Can anyone please confirm is this connections are correct.

Anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94_kiR_O20&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If so your Rate P setting is too high.

Connections look fine when compared to the Crius Megapirate guide.
ZMR250
Naze32
Micro Titan Motors
SN02a ESCs
Mobius
Runcam Sky (with servo adjustable tilt)

Cheerson CX-10 ;-)

Taranis Transmitter